Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears. - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Down - OVH - SBG - Lots and lots of tears.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I feel specially sad for those that had full backups - in the same server farm.

Never rely on a backup service by the same provider. No matter if they even say it's to another DC. For instance, they can delete your account along with all its backups, mistakenly or not. Or they can get hacked, can go out of business (if a small-time LET provider, the latter can be even sudden and abrupt), etc.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • edited March 2021

@MechanicWeb said:
    Not to mention that saying the obvious on their face at this point is cruel.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind to get through thick skulls.

Too many having assumed someone else is protecting them so they don't have to make the effort will, after the dust settles from being bitten once, see another cheap offer and assume the same again because SBG2 happened so the industry will have learned its lesson and they'll be protected without making the additional effort this time.

Maybe going on about it won't make them learn, but not going on about certainly won't make them learn either in my experience and will remove the immature joy of saying "we told you so" at a later date!

talking more about the irresponsibility's of OVH might force them to think twice before

Nothing wrong with highlighting what you see as deficiencies in OVH's practises as well.

But don't let people off the hook for ignoring advice that they will have seen numerous times. We don't know this was caused by OVH (we'll see what comes of the investigation, was it an external company responsible for that UPS service, was the issue due to OVH's installation or bad practise that they were not in control of or something else entirely that was a coincidence?) but we do know that people having no useful backups was their own doing.

• @Daniel15 said:

@JabJab said: Free/Paid Backup pCC in SBG1 was hosted in an separated room of SBG1. Both rooms are destroyed.

They... stored the backups in the same building? 🤔

Now that is certainly somewhere OVH needs a public good ol' slap if true. They have other more separate areas effectively on-site and other geographically distinct sites. There was no need to take the risk of keeping backups that close to the source storage, I doubt it even saved significantly on installation or bandwidth costs.

• @Daniel15 said:
    I thought you were joking... Then I saw this:

That's RBX4. Do you have any evidence that SBG2 was built with wood floors as well?

• @quicksilver03 said:

@Daniel15 said:
    I thought you were joking... Then I saw this:

That's RBX4. Do you have any evidence that SBG2 was built with wood floors as well?

I would say the size of the fire is evidence enough

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@quicksilver03 said:

OVH Twitter had some pictures of SBG2 constructions. There were wooden floors.

• bdlbdl Member

WTFOVHBBQ

• quicksilver03quicksilver03 Member
    edited March 2021

@deank said:

@quicksilver03 said:

OVH Twitter had some pictures of SBG2 constructions. There were wooden floors.

Is this the picture you're referring to?

edited March 2021

Yes, it is safe to assume that all of their buildings have wooden floors, bar the container boxes.

They are bent on using wooden floors.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@LTniger said:

@corbpie said:
    Will be interesting to see what CPUs will be used to replace them (when the time is right)

They will harvest those in sbg2, clean them and you are good to go :D

to be fair trying to salvage things might or might not be an option... definitely nothing wrong about thinking about it.

It'd be interesting as hell to see some real close-ups to really get an idea, what that fire has done. if and how the racks hodl'd for their lifes or just gave up and fell through... 🤷‍♂️

• Rest in peace servers. Sorry for your loss OVH and hoping @Hetzner_OL has better fire 🔥 systems.

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@Offshore_Solutions said:
    Rest in peace servers. Sorry for your loss OVH and hoping @Hetzner_OL has better fire 🔥 systems.

Yeah, they just used one :D

• @jsg said:
    Meanwhile ...

@cociu who seems to have started, let's call it "technically very modest", and ran basically just like OVH ("sell! sell! sell! ... out of a crap box, who cares, just sell!") but of course on a much smaller scale and without the fat make up layer of OVH marketing, ...

... has a quite decent DC in a real industrial building, has very significantly enhanced his support, and now has very decent Telia connectivity (I'm currently running benchmarks).

... while OVH is forced to do a desperate move (3 - 6 months free) to stop bleeding customers in droves (To quote one competitor:"We've sold our monthly server stock within 2 days" and they even didn't advertise). ... just pre-IPO.

So my $7 is on cociu, not on OVH.

You are really comparing the the two? I'm not sure if you're serious right now or...

• donlidonli Member
    edited March 2021

From the official OVHcloud youtube channel - OVH datacenters security (2014)

"Nothing escapes them."

"Every room in each of our datacenters is equipped with an automatic fire detection system connected to a sprinkler system. Trained staff are always on site in order to immediately react in case of a fire."

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2021

SBG2 is a non-container data center built in 2016 using its “Tower” design with a capacity of 30,000 servers.

They have like 3-4 'generations' of "datacenters".
    From containers to normal buildings.

also got another e-mail from OVH today, so copy-paste :)

Dear Customer, Following the fire on 10 March in our Strasbourg (SBG) datacentre, VPS services were affected. Your VPS below can not be put back into service. vpsXXXXXXXX.ovh.net We will retroactively provide the service free of charge, for an equivalent of 6 times the amount of your February 2021 invoice for this service. For your most critical services that require a quicker restart, we recommend placing a new service order in our Gravelines datacentre (GRA), where we are increasing our capacity. In this case, the free service will be applied retroactively. We will get back to you in a few days to inform you about the conditions for receiving this service free of charge. In both cases: Failover IPs are only transferrable in French datacentres, so if you would like to keep them, please choose VPS services located in Gravelines (GRA). If you have enabled the Backup option, we will be able to provide you with further information once our datacentres are back up and running. We will keep you informed. In the meantime, please follow the progress of the situation via our FAQ, which is updated in real time. We are making every effort to mobilise our teams and provide maximum support. The OVHcloud teams
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

The compensation they are offering is hefty.

But this incident will remain as a testimony of their data center safety unless they come forward and show what measures they are taking to improve it.

TLDR, as of now, I wouldn't host anything for production with them.

Nah, people in general have brutally short memory span.

Give it few weeks, and the incident will be as good as gone for the end users.

Thanked by 2layfon that_guy
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@deank said: Nah, people in general have brutally short memory span.

Maybe.

I was this close several times to get a server from them. It was hard to deny the lucrative price they offer. But I managed to hold off up until now.

They can implement decent measures and still maintain a completive edge in pricing due to the sheer size of their operation.

Like EIG, it is their lack of willingness that might be holding them back in doing so.

In the end, most people will simply see prices on their websites and go from there. They probably expected a state of art DC or something while paying shit.

What goes behind matters little to none until the whole thing is set on fire, literally in OVH's case.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

For the sake of fairness: Using containers for (small) DCs or for DC "cells" is common industry practice and, if done properly, there's nothing wrong with it.

@JabJab / OVH said:
    Your VPS below can not be put back into service.

That's a killer.

Yes, people should make backups, of course, but will customers really say "oh well, it's my own fault that I have no or no recent backup."? No, that's not how (most) humans tick. Most of them will curse OVH and say "you can't trust OVH. They destroy your system and data!".

Actually this whole thing might turn into an even worse nightmare, especially when investors lose trust and pull out, potentially leading to a lethal snowball effect.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • pbxpbx Member

@jsg said: leading to a lethal snowball effect.

Would be interesting. Some people might realize that if your data is worth something to you, you probably better keep it somewhere decent, even though it's not the cheapest option.

• Jason18Jason18 Member
    edited March 2021

@jsg said: Your VPS below can not be put back into service.

There's one more funny thing.
    If you were running VPS from OVH based on offer from 2018 or earlier, before they increased pricing... in some cases you will be forced to switch to more expensive plan.

Their 2018 lineup was in some cases cheaper than current lineup. Some of the configurations are no longer offered. Therefore you will not be able to get the same plan as you had before.

Who cares about compensation, when you'll have to buy new VPS plan which is 30% more expensive per year?

So you lose your data and now you have to pay more. Just skipping first 6 months.

I doubt they will let people keep their old plans.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Makenai
  • @seenu said:

@isunbejo said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:
    Actually, did the Wishhosting black Friday Ryzen get burnt down??? Oh shit I'm affected

Oh fuck! Just realized that too. Luckily, it was just a backup RDP box for me with nothing that I don't already have backed-up.

Check VPS with VNC via control panel wishosting, VPS status is online and success login but no internet connection. All data on disk is safe.

Yeah...atleast data is safe, happy to know :)

from wishosting :

The network connectivity has been restored. You may experience the reduced performance as we have an increased amount of people trying to backup their data.

In order to compensate for the downtime of your VMs the corresponding services has been extended by 14 days

• LeviLevi Member

@isunbejo said:

@seenu said:

@isunbejo said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:

Check VPS with VNC via control panel wishosting, VPS status is online and success login but no internet connection. All data on disk is safe.

from wishosting :

> The network connectivity has been restored. You may experience the reduced performance as we have an increased amount of people trying to backup their data.
    > 
    > In order to compensate for the downtime of your VMs the corresponding services has been extended by 14 days
    > 

14 days :) they getting profit from this one.

• @LTniger said:

@isunbejo said:

@seenu said:

@isunbejo said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:

from wishosting :

> > The network connectivity has been restored. You may experience the reduced performance as we have an increased amount of people trying to backup their data.
    > > 
    > > In order to compensate for the downtime of your VMs the corresponding services has been extended by 14 days
    > > 

Free 6 month from OVH :smile:

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@isunbejo said:

@LTniger said:

@isunbejo said:

@seenu said:

@isunbejo said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:

@K4Y5 said:

@corbpie said:

from wishosting :

> > > The network connectivity has been restored. You may experience the reduced performance as we have an increased amount of people trying to backup their data.
    > > > 
    > > > In order to compensate for the downtime of your VMs the corresponding services has been extended by 14 days
    > > > 

Free 6 month from OVH :smile:

6 months is the compensation OVH gave to them. This doesn't require them to provide like for lie to their Customers, especially that they have, no doubt, suffered financial losses themselves.

• @Clouvider said:
    6 months is the compensation OVH gave to them. This doesn't require them to provide like for lie to their Customers, especially that they have, no doubt, suffered financial losses themselves.

That's right. The time and effort required by Wishosting to rebuild or move services is likely not fully compensated by what OVH has offered them.

If my servers were destroyed and a provider immediately provisioned new ones for me at another location, that sounds great -- the best case scenario, right? But who's going to reinstall the OS, configure everything, restore the data, adjust DNS entries, and finally test that it all works? Even if that is mostly automated, it will still be highly disruptive.

• Sentora control panel was one of the victims of the OVH fire, see their message here: http://sentora.org/

Bobby Allen & team, wishing better luck for you.

• 6 months is for burned down servers not for SBG 3-1-4

And compensation is still not received

Thanked by 1webcraft