Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$gme - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$gme

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@randvegeta said:
    Just another day of brokers helping out hedgefunds.

LOL...no.

If nobody can buy, how can you sell?

Google “market maker” for a start.

And there is ZERO restriction on selling. Sell to a friend. Sell to a stranger. Sell to your mother. All that’s happened is that private marketplaces (stock exchanges) have decided they don’t want to fuel stupidity.

I love how suddenly everyone is an expert on finance.

Thanked by 2webcraft TimboJones

Hold up...I think it’s only RobinHood that has these restrictions.

You think RobinHood is the stock market?

Hilarious.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said: LOL...no.

Yes. This is exactly what's happening.

@raindog308 said: Google “market maker” for a start.

I know what MMs are. Why do only THEY get to buy? Why are retail traders being screwed?

Read what I wrote. The restriction is only BUYING, not selling. But if you can only sell to institutions instead of retail, then this is not a free market at all. This is clear manipulation.

You cannot sell to your mother if she cannot but it.

@raindog308 said: I love how suddenly everyone is an expert on finance.

Are you an expert?

@raindog308 said: Hold up...I think it’s only RobinHood that has these restrictions.

No. IB also put in restrictions. Not all brokers have put in restrictions though. I was able to execute a buy order on eToro and Saxo. But my friends on RobinHood and IB could not. How exactly are brokers allowed to deny you from buying stock if you want to buy it? They are manipulating the order flow. They are manipulating demand.

Thanked by 1needsy
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited January 2021

There are selling restrictions, in some form. I've had a few sell orders rejected.

Also, the image above is Trading212.

@SmallWeb said:
    There are selling restrictions, in some form. I've had a few sell orders rejected.

Also, the image above is Trading212.

The whole thing is just funny. The stock is getting halted non stop. Markets been open for what? An hour? How many times has the stock been halted?

The question is, why?

Who benefits from the suspension of trading?

Who benefits from restrictions of buying/selling?

It seems obvious to me this benefits the over extended short sellers.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
    edited January 2021

Hedge funds b4 and after

• Decided to leave Trading212. I don't know the ins and outs of stocks, regulations and laws but I preferred Freetrade anyway and I don't trade enough to hit my tax limits (Had an ISA) so fuck it.

Thanked by 1randvegeta

@randvegeta said:

@raindog308 said: Google “market maker” for a start.

I know what MMs are. Why do only THEY get to buy? Why are retail traders being screwed?

If you're asking those questions then I don't think you know what MMs are.

Read what I wrote. The restriction is only BUYING, not selling. But if you can only sell to institutions instead of retail, then this is not a free market at all. This is clear manipulation.

You cannot sell to your mother if she cannot but it.

There is no restriction on anyone selling and buying AMC or GSE. None.

Some individual exchanges and some brokers are saying "we won't handle it". But you could sell me your GSE right now (I'd be a buyer at about $2/share - PM me). You could sell it to anyone.

What you're screaming about is the convenience of an exchange and the convenience of an app. True, if you sold to your mother, it would be more cumbersome. There might even be (gasp!) paper involved. But there is no restriction on anyone buying or selling.

People buy and sell stock every single day outside the exchanges.

@raindog308 said: I love how suddenly everyone is an expert on finance.

Are you an expert?

In comparison to some in this thread...

@raindog308 said: Hold up...I think it’s only RobinHood that has these restrictions.

No. IB also put in restrictions. Not all brokers have put in restrictions though. I was able to execute a buy order on eToro and Saxo. But my friends on RobinHood and IB could not. How exactly are brokers allowed to deny you from buying stock if you want to buy it? They are manipulating the order flow. They are manipulating demand.

They are private companies.

Besides being highly regulated, stock exchanges and brokerages are also private, which means if they decide that it's in the market's best interest to stop trading in a stock, stop handling a stock, etc. they can do that.

You're just whining that you can speculate. Brokers and exchanges have neither legal nor moral requirements to enable any given trade and a moral (and in some cases legal) responsibility to curb excessive speculation.

@raindog308 said: There is no restriction on anyone selling and buying AMC or GSE. None.

So youre saying that the stock doesnt get halted?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@raindog308 said: You think RobinHood is the stock market?

I think they're the first ones I'd put in line today for an accusation of attempting to manipulate the market unfairly. If I were a stock holder or a board member of a publicly traded company suddenly blocked from trades by a major broker, I'd be investigating my options for a lawsuit.

I don't know that I'd have any, but I'd certainly be asking my lawyer about it.

Thanked by 1randvegeta

But anyway, yeah, no way in hell I'd be dipping my foot into this mess. There is no law in the US anymore, there is what interests the powerful and wealthy. Cross them, the law will be interpreted as necessary to put you down.

@jar said:
    But anyway, yeah, no way in hell I'd be dipping my foot into this mess. There is no law in the US anymore, there is what interests the powerful and wealthy. Cross them, the law will be interpreted as necessary to put you down.

Don't worry.

You cant buy now. eToro, Interactive Brokers, RobinHood, TD, and a bunch of other brokers only let you sell stock now. No buying :D

Millions of people cant participate even if they wanted to.

Thanked by 1jar

@randvegeta said:

@jar said:

Don't worry.

You cant buy now. eToro, Interactive Brokers, RobinHood, TD, and a bunch of other brokers only let you sell stock now. No buying :D

Millions of people cant participate even if they wanted to.

If it looks and smells like collusion...

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • Well, I made 33p profit. I hope my conscience is clean.

• I can smell the raise of BTC no matter how GME ended.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @elliotc said:
    GME short interest still 139%, If I have not leave my job and back to college and only the tuition fee is left. I will all-in. But I cannot take any risk currently.

Btw, I can see you guys are zero knowledge in finance LOL, Search "short squeeze" if you want to know more. And "Gamma squeeze"

Worry too much. Afraid of getting hurt, afraid of being wrong.
    Always over-analyze, probably I left the financial industry is the right thing.

Class action filed against Robinhood in NY. It's going down.

@randvegeta said: So youre saying that the stock doesnt get halted?

You are claiming people can't sell. This is untrue.

I'm pointing out that people can't sell through certain exchanges or brokerages.

There's a difference.

Nothing has been stolen from anyone. Exchanges are just there for convenience. You want to sell your stock - go ahead. You just have to find a buyer on your own and conduct the transaction on your own.

@jar said: If it looks and smells like collusion...

Not at all. There are tons of examples in history where trading in a stock has been halted for various reasons. I see nothing improper here.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee bulbasaur
    edited January 2021

Nothing has been stolen from anyone. Exchanges are just there for convenience. You want to sell your stock - go ahead. You just have to find a buyer on your own and conduct the transaction on your own.

That reminds me a lot of "just make your own social network."

No one believes that if you do things yourself in the US, and the powerful and wealthy oppose you, that they won't equally increase their methods to stop you at this point. I was on that wagon for a long time and this describes how I fell off:

I no longer believe we have a free market. I believe top companies are in full collusion with government and have basically already seized the means of production. There's patches of it left but they're quickly drying up. Make sure to delete this comment when it becomes a hate crime to say it, I'll owe you one.

I'm aware that I'm depressing, I have to limit how much time I can think about this every day after having drawn this conclusion.

@raindog308 said: You are claiming people can't sell. This is untrue.

I did not say that at all. I said they cannot buy.

BUT, the stock has been halted for trading at least 20 times already today, during which time, no you could not sell. So if you think otherwise, you are wrong.

@raindog308 said: Nothing has been stolen from anyone. Exchanges are just there for convenience. You want to sell your stock - go ahead. You just have to find a buyer on your own and conduct the transaction on your own.

That's not how it works and you know it.

@raindog308 said: Not at all. There are tons of examples in history where trading in a stock has been halted for various reasons. I see nothing improper here.

You don't think there is anything improper about online brokerage firms with ties to Citadel only allowing clients to sell and not buy?

You don't think it's improper that the stock gets halted on the exchange several times a day?

• JioJio Member
    edited January 2021

@randvegeta said: You don't think there is anything improper about online brokerage firms with ties to Citadel only allowing clients to sell and not buy?

Robinhood, whose largest revenue source is selling trade data to Citadel, appears to now be force selling users' shares of gamestop at very low prices.

Uncancellable sell orders against their will. You couldn't buy on margin anyway, so this is paid in full already.

And no, you can't just "find another broker" because it takes weeks to onboard and deposit.

Thanked by 2randvegeta jar

@Jio said:

@randvegeta said: You don't think there is anything improper about online brokerage firms with ties to Citadel only allowing clients to sell and not buy?

Robinhood, whose largest revenue source is selling trade data to Citadel, appears to now be force selling users' shares of gamestop at very low prices.

Uncancellable sell orders against their will. You couldn't buy on margin anyway, so this is paid in full already.

I'm curious what @raindog308 has to say about this.

• JioJio Member
    edited January 2021

FWIW, these things are perfectly normal:

• stopping trading during extreme volume or volatility (buy OR sell)
    • requiring people to be fully paid up and not buy on margin if they don't believe you can pay them back
    • putting a warning on certain symbols and requiring you to click through "i agree i am at high risk and accept it" equivalents

Absolutely abnormal:

• buy-only
    • one-way execution freezing above individual broker levels (M1Finance wants to allow buy/sell, but their upstream is blocking all GME buys and only allowing sells)
    • force liquidating your shares not on margin*
    • cancelling sell/buy orders after hours and during hours without telling you against your will, with a fully funded account*

Unlike signing up for another domain, hosting service, or otherwise, bank transfers to fund your account take multiple business days, and with the weekend coming up too, there is literally no way you can just "take your positions somewhere else" or "find an individual buyer". Especially with several now demanding you go to a Fidelity branch or Schwab branch or similar with ID to complete signup in person.

Disclaimer: I do not have a position in any of the companies, meme stocks, or anything, and I am not a RH customer. I'm just observing this from the outside and it's been an interesting roller coaster.

* This is probably the most insane part, and there are enough examples that it's unlikely to be photoshopped from shitloads of different people: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1W0VlWMAIM2sj?format=jpg&name=large https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1pb5KWMAE19CD?format=jpg&name=medium

Thanked by 1default
  • robinhood, webull, trade212, tdamerica, schwab and more have restrictions on buying amc, bb, nok, and gme.

this is market manipulation and they're getting heavy flak from AOC and more. stock will continue rising.

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • update: webull lifted restrictions. this market manipulation won't stop a rocket already in flight. buy while its low, all this press will only increase the share price.

disclaimer: retarded, not investment advice.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Jio said: * This is probably the most insane part, and there are enough examples that it's unlikely to be photoshopped from shitloads of different people: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1W0VlWMAIM2sj?format=jpg&name=large https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1pb5KWMAE19CD?format=jpg&name=medium

Odd that shows a today sell price of $118.03 when it is currently trading at $239, down 39%

@SirFoxy said: robinhood, webull, trade212, tdamerica, schwab and more have restrictions on buying amc, bb, nok, and gme.

this is market manipulation and they're getting heavy flak from AOC and more. stock will continue rising.

Not market manipulation. Just brokers covering their ass.
    Have you sold yet?

• @FrankZ said:

@Jio said: * This is probably the most insane part, and there are enough examples that it's unlikely to be photoshopped from shitloads of different people: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1W0VlWMAIM2sj?format=jpg&name=large https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es1pb5KWMAE19CD?format=jpg&name=medium

Odd that shows a today sell price of $118.03 when it is currently trading at $239, down 39%

@SirFoxy said: robinhood, webull, trade212, tdamerica, schwab and more have restrictions on buying amc, bb, nok, and gme.

Not market manipulation. Just brokers covering their ass.
    Have you sold yet?

nope, im still +$700 too.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • JioJio Member
    edited January 2021

@FrankZ said: Odd that shows a today sell price of $118.03 when it is currently trading at $239, down 39%

Around 4PM UTC it was below 130, at least

Apparently a bunch of these are being executed by several few upstreams. Like Robinhood and IB both use Citadel, and others use Apex

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited January 2021

@jar said:
    I believe top companies are in full collusion with government and have basically already seized the means of production. There's patches of it left but they're quickly drying up.

What's this for a NWO sh*t?!?!

@webcraft said:

@jar said:
    I believe top companies are in full collusion with government and have basically already seized the means of production. There's patches of it left but they're quickly drying up.

What's this for a NWO sh*t?!?!

I won't speculate, just calling what I see from my perspective.