Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Slabs arrive in Luxembourg! Ryzen! Free Snapshots! Free routed /48, & IP load balancing oh my! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Slabs arrive in Luxembourg! Ryzen! Free Snapshots! Free routed /48, & IP load balancing oh my!

12345679»

Comments

• @Francisco said:

@lowfront said:
    100mbps per 4 GB 24/7.
    50mbps for 2 GB,
    25 mbps on the 1GB (constant 24/7 usage).
    You can burst to 1gbps no issues just not hammering the port 24x7.

The numbers you mentioned are 'safe minimums' for every plan, but most people run over that.
    Can you get capped? Sure
    Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yoursunny said: With Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK), I can transmit at least 40Gbit with a physical core.

That's on a dedicated server with Xeon Gold processor (hyperthreading disabled) and ConnectX-5 Ethernet adapter (MTU set to 9000).

Great, you aren't going to do that on a basic virtualized virtio interface.

Francisco

• contactwajeehcontactwajeeh Member
    edited July 2021

@lowfront said:

@Francisco said:

@lowfront said:
    100mbps per 4 GB 24/7.
    50mbps for 2 GB,
    25 mbps on the 1GB (constant 24/7 usage).
    You can burst to 1gbps no issues just not hammering the port 24x7.

The numbers you mentioned are 'safe minimums' for every plan, but most people run over that.
    Can you get capped? Sure
    Francisco

You get capped if you abuse... (Abuse means bashing the allotted cpu 24/7 and pushing the bw to the maximum 24/7) Please correct your knowledge else I am getting a strong feeling that English is not your forte...

edited July 2021

@lowfront said: The numbers you mentioned are 'safe minimums' for every plan, but most people run over that.

Can you get capped? Sure
    Francisco

That's mbit per second, that's all I can think you're confused about.

100Mbit/sec 24/7 is 1TB per day, in each direction. This means a 4GB plan can do 32TB a month in each direction at minimum. We have many that push closer to 200mbit/sec.

By the 200mbit/sec mark their app's maxing out a core and they need more CPU.

Francisco

• nvmenvme Member

@lowfront said:

@errhead said:
    adjective: not measured or assessed by means of a meter.
    "unmetered data"

Unmetered != Unlimited. Unmetered clearly means that there is no per gig or overage charges irregardless of usage.

Enjoy your 4 gigs a day at 100mbps

I don't think you will be able to find VPS with unmetered gigabit port for $3.5 or $7.

At BuyVM, you won't get throttled if you use entire bandwidth in short bursts. It is just that you cannot use it 24x7.

@nvme said: At BuyVM, you won't get throttled if you use entire bandwidth in short bursts. It is just that you cannot use it 24x7.

You can't slam a 1gig all day for $7/m.

We have lots of TOR users using more than their plan allows, and they're fine.

Again, we do our best to keep things roomy.

Francisco

• Well my experience with the BuyVM only lasted 3 days because they didn't like me using 5MB/s to transfer data.

I don't think any provider out there would consider this abuse besides BuyVM.

@lowfront said: Well my experience with the BuyVM only lasted 3 days because they didn't like me using 5MB/s to transfer data.

I don't think any provider out there would consider this abuse besides BuyVM.

Have you ticketed at all and asked for help? It could be a bad route, it could be a NIC in the node needing a firmware update.

You really should ticket for help. We mostly don't bite.

Francisco

Thanked by 2maverickp Degelta
  • so the server for vpn purposes you cant use it .. if you want to download something for hours simple you cant ...

Thanked by 1lowfront

@sonymegas said:
    so the server for vpn purposes you cant use it .. if you want to download something for hours simple you cant ...

You can’t do math then.

Even the smallest plan has a minimum guarantee of 6tb month many doing double or more.

Francisco

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @Francisco

Thanks for the bandwidth replies and detailed description of the graded approach to achieve load balancing.
    Now I am completely sure that I was not mistaken in choosing a provider ;)

• @lowfront said: Well my experience with the BuyVM only lasted 3 days because they didn't like me using 5MB/s to transfer data.

Entirely different experience. I bashed the CPU and Block storage in LV (Downloading torrents, unpack, then rclone to Google Drive) and never had any complaint. Then i forgot to pay and cba to buy a new one now :D

• DevilDevil Member

@Francisco said: The storage plans are dead, what you'd get is a Slice and a Slab.

Ah. That's beyond my expertise/involvement :( But thank you for clearing it up.

I guess I will keep looking.

Cheers!

@Devil said:

@Francisco said: The storage plans are dead, what you'd get is a Slice and a Slab.

Ah. That's beyond my expertise/involvement :( But thank you for clearing it up.

I guess I will keep looking.

Cheers!

It’s very easy to setup and we will gladly help you for tree.

Just ask.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Devil
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Francisco said:
    It’s very easy to setup and we will gladly help you for tree.

Just ask.

Francisco

Sorry how many trees would you need?

Goddammit.

Not fixing it.

Francisco

• DevilDevil Member
    edited July 2021

@Francisco said: It’s very easy to setup and we will gladly help you for tree.

That's very kind of you.

But since I am looking for my extremely low usage (few top private trackers only - 10-20GB a month max download to my local laptop, without zero care for ratio - just keep it there for 3-4 days and HnR satisfied and done) Seedbox it might not be worth your while (in fact you might discourage it) and price-wise it might not be suitable for me - as in a classic VPS, I could land something like what Time4VPS is offering (except for their too low speed and ancient OS/etc) for their 1TB storage VPS but with a BuyVM slice and then slabs it will already overshoot by quite some when it comes to price. I really don't use my personally managed seedbox anymore like I used it 4-5 years ago so anything costing more than 20-30 per year/TB won't make much sense. On the other hand if someone gives me 1TB disk and 200-500GB monthly traffic at great price I'll happily take it :D so you get the drift that it is actually low usage. (I am on LiteServer right now. 30 per year. Everything is great and painfully underused except that it's just 500GB and that pinches)

I am sorry if it eventually turned out to be disappointing :) No, not looking for anything important or critical.

PS. I have used your VPS for laptop backup back in the day - I was playing with attic, borg, rsync, rclone etc in those days. It was a good experience. Though later I moved to Kimsufi (which was not good at all). Just saying glad to see some good/stable/old providers still around.