Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Slabs arrive in Luxembourg! Ryzen! Free Snapshots! Free routed /48, & IP load balancing oh my! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Slabs arrive in Luxembourg! Ryzen! Free Snapshots! Free routed /48, & IP load balancing oh my!

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@partymonger said:
    Im baffled by how few people see the point here, including the owner. Yes, I'll be moving my data eventually.

@angstrom said:

@partymonger said: You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored.

I'm not sure that there's any provider who offers a paid option to store one's data in the event that one stops paying for the VPS, so you may have a long, hard search ahead of you.

If I recall well, one can pay yearly at BuyVM, so why not pay yearly in order to reduce the burden of having to pay each month? Apparently, you can also add funds to your account to cover bills in advance.

In any case, ultimately, you're responsible for paying your bills on time -- in this respect, we're all in the same boat.

Literally the first random provider with good reviews that I came across -Vultr lets my balance go in negative if there is some payment issue at bank without suspending my services. My old card bank had some issue and inspite of having more than 5000$ due to a change in bank policy, they just stopped foreign payments. I went to a new bank, got new a/c card by post in 15 days. And added more balance on the first day I got it and enabled foreign payments (takes 24-48 hrs). I think in all they emailed me once in the 15-20 days it took to sort it out.

They also auto deduct from my Paypal, rather than me having to click the link every month and using the otp like with buyvm. It also lets me store full snapshots without paying. I have about 5-6 backup snapshots and a few more old machine snapshots of last 3-4 yrs without paying for them.

If this is all as you say it is, then it sounds like Vultr is the better choice for you. You'll probably pay more at Vultr, but it sounds like they fit your habits better. (But if you press your luck too hard, they may also end up disappointing you, so you need to pay attention with them as well.)

I think the benchmark for BuyVM is worse providers and not the best in the business. I'm tired of replying to fanboys. I need to know that i'm with a more compassionate provider who will not erase my business for some reason beyond my control. I might never have to bank on their compassion cause im fairly prompt with payments, but I sleep better knowing they go easy. Sure I will have a better backup system and all that yada yada.

If its about money we all know BuyVM can provision 50 new servers today and they will sell like hot cakes in a few days. This seems to be about intentionally fcuking people for slipping up in payments. Like how dare you, here your data has gone POOF now. Too bad you couldnt pay up early. What next, break up someone's legs?

You could compare to multiple good providers, but apparently the bar is pretty low here and we like to race with the meanest aholes in the business. Empathy does not seem to be on the cards. I wish ya'll best. Will also make sure I find more compassionate providers and push their services. Not everything is about making a buck and cut throat policies.

The short answer is that in the low-end market segment, one needs to be on top of things, both as a provider and as a customer.

• @partymonger said:
    Im baffled by how few people see the point here, including the owner. Yes, I'll be moving my data eventually.

@angstrom said:

@partymonger said: You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored.

I'm not sure that there's any provider who offers a paid option to store one's data in the event that one stops paying for the VPS, so you may have a long, hard search ahead of you.

If I recall well, one can pay yearly at BuyVM, so why not pay yearly in order to reduce the burden of having to pay each month? Apparently, you can also add funds to your account to cover bills in advance.

In any case, ultimately, you're responsible for paying your bills on time -- in this respect, we're all in the same boat.

Literally the first random provider with good reviews that I came across -Vultr lets my balance go in negative if there is some payment issue at bank without suspending my services. My old card bank had some issue and inspite of having more than 5000$ due to a change in bank policy, they just stopped foreign payments. I went to a new bank, got new a/c card by post in 15 days. And added more balance on the first day I got it and enabled foreign payments (takes 24-48 hrs). I think in all they emailed me once in the 15-20 days it took to sort it out.

They also auto deduct from my Paypal, rather than me having to click the link every month and using the otp like with buyvm. It also lets me store full snapshots without paying. I have about 5-6 backup snapshots and a few more old machine snapshots of last 3-4 yrs without paying for them.

I think the benchmark for BuyVM is worse providers and not the best in the business. I'm tired of replying to fanboys. I need to know that i'm with a more compassionate provider who will not erase my business for some reason beyond my control. I might never have to bank on their compassion cause im fairly prompt with payments, but I sleep better knowing they go easy. Sure I will have a better backup system and all that yada yada.

If its about money we all know BuyVM can provision 50 new servers today and they will sell like hot cakes in a few days. This seems to be about intentionally fcuking people for slipping up in payments. Like how dare you, here your data has gone POOF now. Too bad you couldnt pay up early. What next, break up someone's legs?

You could compare to multiple good providers, but apparently the bar is pretty low here and we like to race with the meanest aholes in the business. Empathy does not seem to be on the cards. I wish ya'll best. Will also make sure I find more compassionate providers and push their services. Not everything is about making a buck and cut throat policies.

I’m sure with any provider if you contacted them regarding an issue making payment, they’d offer the chance to get it sorted out while not suspending or terminating your service. Hourly providers are different because you are still ultimately paying for that time in minus, a provider that’s suspended you for being overdue doesn’t get any payment if you choose not to renew.

Did you contact BuyVM regarding the issue you’d have making payment?

• @partymonger said:
    Ok so as much as I like @Francisco and his services, I think this forum is filled with fanboys who don't want to hear anything thats not their view. I'll just migrate over time to somewhere that's a little less Hunger Games-ish.

Nope not a fan boy boss. Just seeing it as it is.

2) Someone mentioned offsite backup. It would be much easier if Buyvm just takes a deposit/charge upfront for the cost of the storage it takes to keep the data for a few months. Give people the option. It seems no one here understands that I dont want a free lunch, I just want the data safe in any eventuality. If it costs him, he can give people the option and charge for it upfront to those who want it. But how do you explain it to fanbois?

But you have the option to pay extra to keep your data alive.

It is called paying the bill :/. Literally add balance/fund and boom, you paid for the extra storage.

• This is going off topic.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said: Empathy does not seem to be on the cards. I wish ya'll best. Will also make sure I find more compassionate providers and push their services. Not everything is about making a buck and cut throat policies.

All this over a single day. Not 5 days, not even 2 days, 1 day. All of our other policies: when invoices go out, when notifications go out, when suspensions happen; have been the same for 5 some odd years now.

Backups are available and do exactly what you want. They're cheap and you can opt into them. Infact, I'll give you them on whatever service you're losing it over. They keep your stuff for 7 days after you get terminated.

Infact we just changed backups this week to be daily (instead of every other day), with an extra day of retention (6 days -> 7 days). We didn't charge anyone extra for these changes, it's included in the cost of backups.

Snapshots are free, you can use them and take whenever you want.

You used Vultr as an example of someone that lets you run into the red:

If You do not pay all Fees when due, Your account will be deemed past due. For any past due Fees, Vultr will charge You interest at one and one-half percent (1.5%) or the highest rate allowed by applicable law, whichever is lower, per month of the unpaid amount, until paid.

By all means, let me know how long they'll let you run your balance under. Maybe they have a $ limit, but I'm pretty sure it isn't 7 days.

Francisco

Thanked by 3WSCallum skorous donko
  • If you are that worried about a normal process then you would stop using hosting if you knew that your data could be lost due to any number of unforeseen circumstances like DC catching fire (no pun intended) or earthquakes or whatever else that you can't predict and won't get a notification for it.

Stop worrying and take actions like others mentioned so you can put your mind at ease a little.

Get the daily backups from the provider + schedule data dumps to Backblaze B2 or AWS S3. It's not that hard to setup, it's a well-invested time from you.

Dump the configurations you use for your services on a private GitHub repo (without credentials of course) so you can clone quickly in the unfortunate event that all is lost on your current provider. That's a very basic thing to do but will help. You can get fancy and use Ansible or similar to automate setup but more time investment.

Like many things, there are more ways to skin a cat (backups - recovery), if you need help, start a new thread in the Help section and people will help you out.

• BastionBastion Member
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said:

@angstrom said:

Perhaps what you are looking for is not "empathy", but rather pity. Neither emotion pays the bills or protects your data, unfortunately.

If you want a provider that will supply you with pity and lenience, talk to your best friend. See how that goes when you forget to pay the bills for 2 weeks. Spoiler alert: no one likes being taken advantage of, sorry.

• @Bastion said:
    Perhaps what you are looking for is not "empathy", but rather pity. Neither emotion pays the bills or protects your data, unfortunately.

If you want a provider that will supply you with pity and lenience, talk to your best friend. See how that goes when you forget to pay the bills for 2 weeks. Spoiler alert: no one likes being taken advantage of, sorry.

I just went through your posts to see why you'd be unnecessarily mean, when I've mentioned multiple times to take payment for it or take an adjustable deposit, whatever is convenient.

Then I saw that all you've every posted on are BUYVM threads. Again I like Buyvm except for niggles like these, but I really hope this is not a Buyvm or buyvm staffer account on the side, trying to post the nasty stuff that no one else would say.

• As for the rest of the comments. Thanks for the suggestions. I shall in-time move to a more compassionate provider who values my data. And also use bulk deposits so I can sleep better. Cheers.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said:

Yes, I'll be moving my data eventually.

Don't forget to pay your invoice meanwhile

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @partymonger said: Now KYC system has moved to a National ID system, where for some reason your number 5 yrs ago was entered wrong.

Just get your KYC done properly instead of blaming the provider?

• @stevewatson301 said:

@partymonger said: Now KYC system has moved to a National ID system, where for some reason your number 5 yrs ago was entered wrong.

Just get your KYC done properly instead of blaming the provider?

Merely debating a policy matter, not blaming them.
    KYC is not the issue. This was the most recent issue. Shit comes up randomly. But I get it, no one gives a fuck. Imma move where they have spare fucks to give.

• @dedicados said:
    Don't forget to pay your invoice meanwhile

I shall try my best lol

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Imma wait and see which company would keep your data after not paying your invoice for x amount of days AND not go deadpool within the next year.

• kudukukuduku Member
    edited April 2021

Its insanely easy for me to
    add paypal subscription
    or
    add funds
    or
    send an email to my provider to give few days extension
    except when i am in COMA when it shouldn't matter if the bills are paid or not
    I do not have any VPS with @Francisco but i suppose he would give anybody some days respite if anybody is in hospital and inform him

• @partymonger said:

@Bastion said:

I just went through your posts to see why you'd be unnecessarily mean, when I've mentioned multiple times to take payment for it or take an adjustable deposit, whatever is convenient.

Then I saw that all you've every posted on are BUYVM threads. Again I like Buyvm except for niggles like these, but I really hope this is not a Buyvm or buyvm staffer account on the side, trying to post the nasty stuff that no one else would say.

I had no intention of being "unnecessarily mean". I was simply stating the facts as I saw them. You continue to ignore the fact that you can set up billing agreements and pay for a year in advance, for no apparent reason other than continuing to create unproductive conflict in this thread.

Yes, my account is new. No, I haven't posted exclusively on BuyVM threads - don't lie.
    I'm just posting about them a lot because I like this host that I've recently discovered. If you knew me in real life, you'd know I like recommending products or services that I've found to be trustworthy, reliable or an otherwise good value. I think most people do that on some level. I'm behaving no differently here on this forum. Sorry, I didn't know it was illegal to have an opinion.

If you went after any other half-decent provider trying to ask for a solution to a problem that you can solve on your own, and were not accepting any perfectly valid answers, I would've given the same response. I have no specific allegiance to BuyVM beyond being a customer that currently enjoys their services, and I'm definitely not a fanboy.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @partymonger said:
    As for the rest of the comments. Thanks for the suggestions. I shall in-time move to a more compassionate provider who values my data. And also use bulk deposits so I can sleep better. Cheers.

So bulk payments, snapshots, and backups to resolve your issues weren't enough reason to stay but being "more compassionate" is plenty reason to leave. Someone cue @deank .

@Bastion said: If you went after any other half-decent provider trying to ask for a solution to a problem that you can solve on your own, and were not accepting any perfectly valid answers, I would've given the same response.

This is the real issue. He's not really trying to solve a problem. He's just got pms.

Thanked by 1Bastion
  • The end is nigh.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited April 2021

The most critical point of all the extremely important questions that do really matter (... you get the idea...) hasn't been raised yet:

when the heck are we to get real IPv6 connectivity in Lux, instead of dat stupid German HE tunnel???

:D

• partymongerpartymonger Member
    edited April 2021

@kuduku said:
    Its insanely easy for me to
    add paypal subscription
    or
    add funds
    or
    send an email to my provider to give few days extension
    except when i am in COMA when it shouldn't matter if the bills are paid or not
    I do not have any VPS with @Francisco but i suppose he would give anybody some days respite if anybody is in hospital and inform him

I know bro.
    Just to give you an idea, I have youtube premium since 2019 I think, and every 2-3 month this happens. This is how unreliable shit is.

FYI I have enough balance to pay for YT premium for next 20 years. But this just keeps happening. Its all fun and games till you havent faced issues.

@skorous said: This is the real issue. He's not really trying to solve a problem. He's just got pms.

Yeah i'm not sure what to think.

We've offered to work with him on that extra date, and I've personally offered him backups on his services at no cost.

If anything he's coming out way ahead in this but he keeps raging.

Francisco

• @skorous said:

@partymonger said:
    As for the rest of the comments. Thanks for the suggestions. I shall in-time move to a more compassionate provider who values my data. And also use bulk deposits so I can sleep better. Cheers.

So bulk payments, snapshots, and backups to resolve your issues weren't enough reason to stay but being "more compassionate" is plenty reason to leave. Someone cue @deank .

@Bastion said: If you went after any other half-decent provider trying to ask for a solution to a problem that you can solve on your own, and were not accepting any perfectly valid answers, I would've given the same response.

This is the real issue. He's not really trying to solve a problem. He's just got pms.

I was looking for a proper solution like, Okay if you pay 5$ /50$ deposit that we can run with, we wont delete your data for x months/years. Not looking for a spare week. But never mind, lets call it PMS cause I'm sure your mom will agree pms is so funny, right. Cool.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Could always try being an adult and put billing dates on a calendar... How do you pay your rent, phone or credit card bills on time each month?

@partymonger said: Okay if you pay 5$ /50$ deposit that we can run with, we wont delete your data for x months/years.

...So you want to have pre-paid credit on file to...pay your invoices.

Yes, that's called Add Funds. We support it, you don't even need to ticket to use it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@partymonger said: Okay if you pay 5$ /50$ deposit that we can run with, we wont delete your data for x months/years.

...So you want to have pre-paid credit on file to...pay your invoices.

Yes, that's called Add Funds. We support it, you don't even need to ticket to use it.

Francisco

1) AFAIK You introduced that option this month. I had no idea that existed.
    2) When that credit is over, its the same story.
    3) Speaking of a deposit just to compensate you for the cost of storing the data/VM in suspended mode.

It seems I've rubbed Francisco the wrong way. With other providers jumping in to preserve their right to delete data. Anyway, peace bros. Hope people vote with their wallet and then maybe you'll see the point.

• @Francisco said:

@cazrz said: I think you can add funds in buyvm. So you can deposit one month advanced just in case you get sick. So what else?

Yes sir. I literally retrofitted the WHMCS Add Funds option the other week just to bring it back.

It works very well.

Francisco

This is what I'm referring to.

• Can these slices be used for streaming Recorded Videos?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Francisco maybe time to expand to other dc's?

• @skorupion said:

Miami is coming soon®

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@NobodyInteresting said:

@skorupion said:

Miami is coming soon®

i meant in luxembourg

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting