Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 139
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• @Falzo said:
    2TB Chicago (BF):

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > ---------------------------------
    > Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 8.67 MB/s     (2.1k) | 123.21 MB/s   (1.9k)
    > Write      | 8.71 MB/s     (2.1k) | 123.86 MB/s   (1.9k)
    > Total      | 17.39 MB/s    (4.3k) | 247.07 MB/s   (3.8k)
    >            |                      |                     
    > Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 516.00 MB/s   (1.0k) | 761.27 MB/s    (743)
    > Write      | 543.42 MB/s   (1.0k) | 811.97 MB/s    (792)
    > Total      | 1.05 GB/s     (2.0k) | 1.57 GB/s     (1.5k)
    > 

@Daniel15 maybe the 10TB LAX is a bit more under load if it's part of a new deployment round and people are moving stuff in? probably still very worth it for 1.2/TB ... I am tempted again for LON 🤦‍♂️

Tempted for that 10T box in London too, since it costs less than my current 6T storage box at the same location from a couple of years ago :tongue:

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Falzo said: maybe the 10TB LAX is a bit more under load if it's part of a new deployment round and people are moving stuff in?

It's possible! I'll do another benchmark in a few days. I assumed the hardware would be similar (and thus performance) given the pricing is similar across locations.

@Falzo said: probably still very worth it for 1.2/TB

It's $120/year if you pay for two years, so $1/TB/month if you're willing to pay $240 upfront. :smiley:

• any more Sydney, it looking so good

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Falzo said:
    2TB Chicago (BF):

@Daniel15 maybe the 10TB LAX is a bit more under load if it's part of a new deployment round and people are moving stuff in? probably still very worth it for 1.2/TB ... I am tempted again for LON 🤦‍♂️

Some nodes may have higher performance than others - however since we advertise these servers to be used for mass storage - and the performance of multiple HDDs in RAID (which this benchmark shows) is far better than just usable for that purpose - we do not really entertain any complaints of "why my X server is faster than my Y server" as long as there is enough IO, no iowait/steal, etc.

To be clear, we do fix any actual performance issues, but we just don't consider this to be a performance issue in the first place.

• @hosthatch said:

@Falzo said:
    2TB Chicago (BF):

Some nodes may have higher performance than others - however since we advertise these servers to be used for mass storage - and the performance of multiple HDDs in RAID (which this benchmark shows) is far better than just usable for that purpose - we do not really entertain any complaints of "why my X server is faster than my Y server" as long as there is enough IO, no iowait/steal, etc.

To be clear, we do fix any actual performance issues, but we just don't consider this to be a performance issue in the first place.

On one hand I get that, but on the other hand if I knew that performance would be better in Chicago then I would have just gotten a 10TB server there (especially since the price was $10/year lower when I initially looked) or just stuck to the 2TB I already have.

Could you please clarify whether there's any hardware differences between Chicago and Los Angeles for the storage servers?

• Crap... I really want the London storage. But why does it say "OpenVZ SSD — KVM"? What the heck is that supposed to mean?

• @Chronic said: Crap... I really want the London storage. But why does it say "OpenVZ SSD — KVM"? What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Come again?

• @skorous said:

@Chronic said: Crap... I really want the London storage. But why does it say "OpenVZ SSD — KVM"? What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Come again?

In the order summary, it says "OpenVZ SSD — KVM London - 10 TB".

• Oh, down there! Yeah, that's definitely a typo. @hosthatch .

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@hosthatch said: as long as there is enough IO, no iowait/steal, etc.

How much iowait is too much? Because I often see ~50% iowait spikes even when not doing much I/O (< 3 MB/s sequential read):

It's fine for my use case since it doesn't happen often and my main use case is overnight backups, and I wasn't going to ticket it as performance is still fine most of the time (except for the difference between my LA and Chicago VPSes) but your comment mentioned "no iowait".

@Chronic said:

@skorous said:

@Chronic said: Crap... I really want the London storage. But why does it say "OpenVZ SSD — KVM"? What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Come again?

In the order summary, it says "OpenVZ SSD — KVM London - 10 TB".

That's definitely a typo. It's KVM for sure.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@hosthatch Any update on Singapore Location ?? When are you thinking about it ??

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    @hosthatch Any update on Singapore Location ?? When are you thinking about it ??

I will be very surprised if they actually think of extending their services to Singapore while there is still probably lots to do with the existing services and tickets that are still pending for very long..

They should put focus on current issues first!

Who here still have tickets with no answer for a very long time?

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@hosthatch I can't seem to order this service: https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/lon-10tb

Says "Your order was successfully created" but no invoice was created, and a new server doesn't show up in a pending state.

Can you please check? Thanks!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@lentro said:
    @hosthatch I can't seem to order this service: https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/lon-10tb

Says "Your order was successfully created" but no invoice was created, and a new server doesn't show up in a pending state.

@hosthatch said: There's limited amounts available of each plan. Once sold out, the link will either error out, or you will be able to go through the link but no invoice will be created.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @lentro said:

Even though it says "successfully", it may not actually be successful. Sometimes it does that when they're out of stock.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@lentro said: I can't seem to order this service

I had a similar issue with the Los Angeles offer. Invoice created but no invoice created. Waiting on a ticket.

Guessing this happens when an offer is sold-out, but they have not yet removed the page showing the offer.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited January 2021

@snt said: Who here still have tickets with no answer for a very long time?

I guess I am the lucky one. Two tickets since BF requesting IPv6 for 7 servers, and internal network for 3 servers were completed in less then 8 hours. I had a CD mount issue in Chicago, didn't ticket, and it resolved itself after a week or so. Servers have been great performance wise, and I could not be happier.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

For anyone wondering, support past Tier 1 is either non-existent or really slow.

After a month of idling I was finally going to migrate some services to this server, opened a ticket to request IPv6 and got a /64 assigned within one hour.

Problem is: it does not work, I have provided reasonable information to the support rep and I guess ticket has been escalated, but no reply on the status since Friday is unreasonable for an issue which most likely they need to fix. I do not want or need hand holding, but if something is broken, it should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time and it looks to me like this is not the case.

It is true that I did not took the time to fully troubleshoot the issue with a tcpdump, but I provided a good amount of information which should be enough to have a reply after two working days if service is to be considered production-ready even if it is so cheap.

Ticket screenshot

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Nyr said: Problem is: it does not work

What location are you in? IPv6 works fine in all of their locations for me.

I agree that this issue could be handled quicker by their support, but I could send you my config to (hopefully) get you going.

• @Nyr Have met the same problem about 2 years ago. Solved later but no ticket response

@brueggus said:

I agree that this issue could be handled quicker by their support, but I could send you my config to (hopefully) get you going.

Madrid.

While I appreciate your gesture, I configured IPv6 according to the instructions in their panel, so it should be good if the netmask and gateway are right as they are shown in the panel.

• Just so it's been said, you used a /48 so you installed from ISO?

Thanked by 1Falzo

@Nyr said:

@brueggus said:

Madrid.

While I appreciate your gesture, I configured IPv6 according to the instructions in their panel, so it should be good if the netmask and gateway are right as they are shown in the panel.

I've got IPv6 working on my node in Madrid - just to put it out here.

edited January 2021

@skorous said: Just so it's been said, you used a /48 so you installed from ISO?

I got a /64 subnet assigned:
    2a0e:dc0:9:xxx::/64
    Gateway is:
    2a0e:dc0:9::1

I added an IPv6 in the panel:
    2a0e:dc0:9:xxx::1234/64

And the panel tells me to use a /48 mask when configuring.

So this is my IPv6 configuration:

iface ens3 inet6 static
            address 2a0e:dc0:9:xxx::1234
            netmask 48
            gateway 2a0e:dc0:9::1

There is not much room for error :)

@Nyr said: There is not much room for error :)

There is not much room for you to do anything as well, since it could be an issue on their end :D

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2021

@Nyr said: For anyone wondering, support past Tier 1 is either non-existent or really slow.

I could not agree more.

I've found that when I update a ticket after a day of no-response with a nudge, like, "hey, still waiting for a response on this." It seems to get a response quicker than patiently waiting for an open ticket to get a response.

Super annoying to have nudge them - they need to fix this.

Regarding IPv6, took me a while to figure out the trick. Try to ping the default route IP. If no response, click the "Reconfigure Networking" button on the Networking tab on the Control Panel. This seems to reconfigure the host to accept connections from the newly created IPv6 address. I had to press the button to enable each new IPv6 address I added.

For config reference, on CentOS 7 I have /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

IPV6INIT=yes
    IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
    IPV6_DEFAULTGW=2a0d:xxxx:yyyy:0000:0000:0000:0000:0001
    IPV6ADDR=2a0d:xxxx:yyyy:zzzz::1234/64

And /etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
    IPV6_AUTOCONF=no

Config files will vary depending on which OS you're using.

For me, it also set up working IPv6 when reinstalling the operating system using the pre-built images on the Control Panel (not ISO) after I created IPv6 addresses in the Control Panel. If you cannot get IPv6 to work, perhaps try reinstalling after creating IPv6 address(es) using one of their OS images (not ISO).

• @Nyr said: There is not much room for error :)

Sorry, the way I always remembered it was to just a /48 when I install from ISO because then I have to configure it manually. When installing from template the template uses a /64.

"Note: when configuring manually, please use the subnet mask /48 instead of /64."

@jon617 said: click the "Reconfigure Networking" button on the Networking tab on the Control Panel

This did it!

I installed from ISO, but wanted to try this button in case some routing needed to be configured in their end and the button took care of that, but it did show an error and failed when I tried some days ago.

Today I tried again (no changes to my VM from then) and it did "work". SolusVM broke my perfectly good configuration by configuring an eth0 interface when I already had the ens3 interface defined, but I fixed the configuration from the console and can finally reach the IPv6 gateway and the internet.

So yeah, I fixed my problem but the panel does not work as it should and technical support did not fix something which I have now confirmed was broken on their end.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited January 2021

Does someone want my server transferred?

After my personal experience and what I have seen in this topic, I don't think that I will use this provider. You won't get a better deal for the money, but I do not feel confident in using this for production as intended.

2GB NVMe in Madrid, renews at $15/y

Anyone interested can send me $12 plus a transfer fee if HH charges one. Actually I think that my entire account can be transferred, personal details can be changed and this is the my only service with HH.

If no one is interested I will probably just let the server expire, but am offering it here for the community since there was quite a bit of demand for this deal.

Thanked by 2PandoGulf dosai
  • @Nyr said:

@jon617 said: click the "Reconfigure Networking" button on the Networking tab on the Control Panel

This did it!

I installed from ISO, but wanted to try this button in case some routing needed to be configured in their end and the button took care of that, but it did show an error and failed when I tried some days ago.

Today I tried again (no changes to my VM from then) and it did "work". SolusVM broke my perfectly good configuration by configuring an eth0 interface when I already had the ens3 interface defined, but I fixed the configuration from the console and can finally reach the IPv6 gateway and the internet.

So yeah, I fixed my problem but the panel does not work as it should and technical support did not fix something which I have now confirmed was broken on their end.

I give up to touch their panel, I cannot unmount the netboot ISO after I finish my install. I am not reboot it frequally , so whatever.