Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@MrDOS said: I can't wait for someone to put together a proper RS-232

Try FTDI, better than MAX232.

@Daniel said: @netomx My one changed to being delivered 5/5/2012

Well, I received an email today that my order has been ship, but I dont have tracking number, and they charge me aprox. 65 dollars to ship to Laredo, Texas -.-

• @netomx said: Well, I received an email today that my order has been ship, but I dont have tracking number, and they charge me aprox. 65 dollars to ship to Laredo, Texas -.-

Ouch, I got free shipping.

@Daniel said: Ouch, I got free shipping.

I have emailed Farnell, because they suppose to honor the pricing of 40 bucks, not 65.

$824.61 M.N. (Mexican Pesos)
    824.61 Mexican pesos = 63.6318553 U.S. dollars
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • @netomx said: Try FTDI, better than MAX232.

FTDI = USB to RS232 chip
    MAX232 = simple 12V (PC COM port nominal voltage) to 5V level shifter

If you are using a USB-to-serial converter with an FTDI chip, you will NOT need a MAX(3)232-type level shifter. If you are connecting a real COM port on the other hand, you will :)

@quirkyquark said: FTDI = USB to RS232 chip

MAX232 = simple 12V (PC COM port nominal voltage) to 5V level shifter

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

usb to ttl

• yay

Dear DANIEL SMITH

The following products relating to your Farnell order 16454958 have now been shipped from our warehouse.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I just bought a second one from RS Online as I received an email saying I was invited to place my order now, funny thing is it is going to ship and arrive before the board I ordered at Newark over a month ago.

@Legendlink said: I just bought a second one from RS Online as I received an email saying I was invited to place my order now, funny thing is it is going to ship and arrive before the board I ordered at Newark over a month ago.

My brother did also get a RS email, bought today =D

• What SD cards are you guys using/going to use with these?

I picked up a few SanDisk Ultra 8GB cards, class 6 I believe. I read somewhere on the raspberry pi forums class 10 cards weren't so great for this purpose.

• vldvld Member
    edited May 2012

http://www.techspot.com/review/527-raspberry-pi/
    A short review and setup guide.

@Legendlink said: What SD cards are you guys using/going to use with these?

16gb class 4, they are so freaking cheap here.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited May 2012

*3. April 2012 - I've been sent an email that I may pre-order a RPi.
    *4. April 2012 - My order has been "received". Waiting for stock allocation.
    *27. April 2012 - I was informed the RPi passed its CE compliance testing and that I would be getting mine at least by the end of June.

While everyone is getting theirs, I'm patiently waiting for mine. Realistically, I don't expect it in another month or so.

@Chronic said: *3. April 2012 - I've been sent an email that I may pre-order a RPi.

Yeah, mine is on the go =D

• Just received mine this morning, still waiting on my power supply though to get here from Amazon. Don't think I already own one that is 5V, 700mA already.

• I just plugged it into the USB Sockets on my power splitter thing, and then just used a powered USB hub.

• @Daniel said: I just plugged it into the USB Sockets on my power splitter thing, and
    then just used a powered USB hub.

Not that I don't trust you or anything but straight from the packaging "The Raspberry Pi is not designed to be powered from a USB port on other connected equipment. If this is attempted it may malfunction."

I assume they are talking about your set up there.

@liam Thanks, I'll take a look at the chargers laying around here at my house.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Legendlink that's because a USB port is not supposed to be loaded with more than 500mA. However since he is not using a USB port, it will probably be OK.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@Legendlink said: Not that I don't trust you or anything but straight from the packaging "The Raspberry Pi is not designed to be powered from a USB port on other connected equipment. If this is attempted it may malfunction."

Huh? Its a full USB powered port, not connected to a computer or anything. Works just like a power splitter.

It would be exactly the same as me getting a AC to USB adapter and using that, except its built into the plug adapter thingy.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@liam - http:// fail :P

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

Ah yes, I've noticed that when I plug into my powered USB hub into the Pi, the light comes on, I was under the impression that that light just indicated power going through USB.

However, the power to actually boot the Pi comes from the mains and not through the USB Hub.

Didn't seem to have an issue, but I noticed the Pi's USB sockets could act a bit funny but I believe its a kernel issue.

• Turns out I do have some suitable power supplies laying around. Don't think my siblings would be too happy if I was using their cell phone charger all the time though.

@liam @Daniel okay, cool, just wanted to make sure nothing bad would happen to his Pi :P

• @Legendlink said: Turns out I do have some suitable power supplies laying around. Don't think my siblings would be too happy if I was using their cell phone charger all the time though.

Haha, I have around 15 of them cables, WAY to many.

• tmn29atmn29a Member

Is here anybody from Germany, that knows a good way to get one of those babies ?

I used a Samsung USB charger (from my SGS2) and works nice!

• Yes the Samsung chargers seems to work nicely.

Had to update the firmware before mine would even get passed booting.

@Legendlink said: Had to update the firmware before mine would even get passed booting.

I got a problem with mine, but was the keyboard. Replaced it and works fine now.

• I've found wireless keyboards to work terrible on the RPi.

@Daniel said: I've found wireless keyboards to work terrible on the RPi.

Mine are USB. Btw, I got my 2nd on the mail today =D

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@netomx Want to sell me one or colo one for me? :P

@Jeffrey said: @netomx Want to sell me one or colo one for me? :P

I'm in Mexico... cant to pay for the colo? Good luck with that! hahaha