Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Farnell says they have allocated me 2 of them :) hate me!

• @netomx said: Farnell says they have allocated me 2 of them :) hate me!

Send me one now...
    XD

Maybe, iused two accounts to have 1 order per account... And now, in ny first account, I have 2 orders :S if I get a third one, Ill tell you (obviously paying the cost) hahaha

• @netomx said: Farnell says they have allocated me 2 of them :) hate me!

get me one, because I transfer my buyVM to you :P

• @netomx said: Maybe, iused two accounts to have 1 order per account... And now, in ny first account, I have 2 orders :S if I get a third one, Ill tell you (obviously paying the cost) hahaha

LOL! Lucky.

Yes, I can pay n_n

@djvdorp said: get me one, because I transfer my buyVM to you :P

If I get more than 3, yes :P I just want 2.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Your only allowed to order one.

I ordered one.

Yes, they cancelled the other one indeed. And I didnt make it on purpose, it was the F5 who did it

• @liam said: I know someone who ordered 4!

Tell them to send one over then!

• Meh why do some strange distributers that are down half of the time sell it instead of Amazon or so?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Affiliation ? Support ? Friends ? Fees ?
    All of the above ? :P
    M

• They're a UK company, and wanting to support companies operating within the UK. That's why they didn't outsource to cheaper east-asia manufacturing. (This was mentioned in their site some time back).

• Oh, they changed their minds? (It's admittedly been a few weeks since I last read their news posts)

• Aah, oh well. Kudos to them for at least trying to keep the business within their country, can't really blame them for having to revise that plan.

the problem was the taxes... that's why they went to China

• u4iau4ia Member

@Aldryc from the raspberrypi bog:

I’d like to draw attention to one cost in particular that really created problems for us in Britain. Simply put, if we build the Raspberry Pi in Britain, we have to pay a lot more tax. If a British company imports components, it has to pay tax on those (and most components are not made in the UK). If, however, a completed device is made abroad and imported into the UK – with all of those components soldered onto it – it does not attract any import duty at all. This means that it’s really, really tax inefficient for an electronics company to do its manufacturing in Britain, and it’s one of the reasons that so much of our manufacturing goes overseas. Right now, the way things stand means that a company doing its manufacturing abroad, depriving the UK economy, gets a tax break. It’s an absolutely mad way for the Inland Revenue to be running things, and it’s an issue we’ve taken up with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

• Interesting, it's almost like western countries WANT to give more money/jobs to China.

• u4iau4ia Member

@Kairus sad, but true.

• pingping Member

Unfortunately the whole 'launch' process was a farce :(

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • I am going to wait a few months to get one.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Being in Canada, I'm probably going to have to wait at least 6-8 months to get one without paying through the nose for shipping.

• gsxgsx Member

Already have a order in! :-)

Mine is arivingin April :P

• @Kairus said: Doesn't look good.

Why? Manufacture used the wrong part and has to eat the cost to fix their error, but to you and I just means a further delay.

• pingping Member

They'll turn up eventually!!

• kalamkalam Member

I'll probably look into getting one in early June, hopefully they'll have everything sorted out by then.

• u4iau4ia Member

The whole distribution process is not what I was expecting. I thought I would try to get one in the first sale, and if not maybe another month later they would have another sale. The way they are being sold now is just full of uncertainty about when it will actually ship along with odd pricing and shipping charges. I would still like to own one however, just not sure when it will happen.

• gsxgsx Member

@u4ia I think the method of retailing that the foundation eventually stuck with was a bad move. Neither retailer seemed to have been on the ball on launch day.

• I'd like to pick one up.

After I saw a video of the XBMC team running XBMC on it and playing some 1080p x264 video I have been curious to try one out.