Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone else trying to snag a Rasberry Pi?

Comments

• dwilddwild Member

@netomx said: It is... to pla with it :( damn you Farnell!!

Yes but there's not much you can do with it currently. Just for an example, I found no way to use the GPU and the ALSA driver arrived 3 day ago. This thing have a great potential but currently you can do less than on any old computer.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@dwild said: Yes but there's not much you can do with it currently. Just for an example, I found no way to use the GPU and the ALSA driver arrived 3 day ago. This thing have a great potential but currently you can do less than on any old computer.

Well, you can treat it as a server .... try nginx, php, mysql, i dont know, rtorrent, and that

• @netomx said: Well, you can treat it as a server .... try nginx, php, mysql, i dont know, rtorrent, and that

Ya what about PHP? Is it supported under ARM?

• Almost everything that you have source for you can compile yourself and so it should be supported.

• @NanoG6 said: Ya what about PHP? Is it supported under ARM?

I have php in my ipod xD

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited April 2012

@rds100 said: Almost everything that you have source for you can compile yourself and so it should be supported.

Iirc I once compiled PHP with FPM on s390, on the error log I found something like "This processor / architecture is not supported..bla..bla.. Please submit to..bla..bla.."

EDIT:

/home/php-5.3.2/sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_atomic.h:124:2: error: #error unsupported

processor. please write a patch and send it to me

http://grokbase.com/t/php/php-bugs/10581v4swg/php-bug-bug-51772-new-php-fpm-do-not-support-powerpc-processors

@yomero said: I have php in my ipod xD

Haha funny :-|

• @NanoG6 said: Haha funny :-|

IS FUNNY ¬_¬

I mean, you can use PHP in ARM, because the ipod has an ARM, and I have it

• @yomero said: I mean, you can use PHP in ARM, because the ipod has an ARM, and I have it

Ahhh it must be iPod touch! :D
    I was thinking about iPod Nano ¬_¬

• Yes that one lol.
    Btw, is a 5.2 one u_u (And with lighty)
    But anyway, I almost don't use it.

• dwilddwild Member

There's a ton of packet already available on the ARM repository. You can search, there's a good chance that you don't even need to compile it:
    http://packages.debian.org/search?suite=squeeze&arch=armel&searchon=names&keywords=php5

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • What do you guys plan on using your Rasberry Pi for? Just to play around with it or what?

• dwilddwild Member

I have so much idea but for now my first plan is to play Quake 3 on it.... or maybe installing XBMC. Currently I do some testing, I try some distribution, I installed different packet to try....

@NanoG6 said: No fpm?

I found this on the PHP-FPM website.

PHP-FPM is now included in PHP core as of PHP 5.3.3. This website does not have much information on it anymore, as the documentation and support should be moving and integrated into the main PHP website.

The packet on Debian is 5.3.3-7, I suppose it's included. If you provides me an easy way to configure it and test it, I will gladly do it.

• @dwild said: I found this on the PHP-FPM website.

PHP-FPM is now included in PHP core as of PHP 5.3.3. This website does not have much information on it anymore, as the documentation and support should be moving and integrated into the main PHP website.

The packet on Debian is 5.3.3-7, I suppose it's included. If you provides me an easy way to configure it and test it, I will gladly do it.

I think it is if you are compiling the PHP, not using the APT.

@taipres said: What do you guys plan on using your Rasberry Pi for? Just to play around with it or what?

yes, and make an arcade

btw, mine has changed from BACKORDER to PROCESSING

=D

@Daniel any luck with yours?

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

*sigh..

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

Haven't got any on order, but I intend to grab two or three once they're more widely available. The troubles you guys are having doesn't bother me much; I'd like to use them for embedded projects where their form factor is as much a boon as the low price tag. Ideas include a black-box Shoutcast client and various field applications in paintball.

• DamianDamian Member

@MrDOS said: various field applications in paintball.

Auto-tracking machine gun utilizing infrared to determine the location of enemies?

• @MrDOS said: I'd like to use them for embedded projects

+1. Me too. Y'all whinging over ethernet-over-USB? Try ethernet over SPI, I2C or hell, RS-232!!

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

@Damian said: Auto-tracking machine gun utilizing infrared to determine the location of enemies?

Ha, that'd be nice, but not quite. A friend and I are slowly collecting concepts of how modern tech can unobtrusively improve paintball; we're currently trying to figure out how hit tracking can best work based on manual player feedback (wireless lapel buttons or similar). The Raspberry Pi sounds like a good candidate for stat tracking and such in that it's probable someone will come up with a battery system for it at some point. We may end up using an old laptop, though, due to the screen.

@quirkyquark said: or hell, RS-232!!

I can't wait for someone to put together a proper RS-232 breakout board. I think the dev kit has an interface, but if I end up deploying something using RS-232 on the Pi, I don't want to have to get a whole dev board for each unit (costly and space-consuming).

• @Damian said: Auto-tracking machine gun utilizing infrared to determine the location > of enemies?

Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads? :D

• @netomx My one changed to being delivered 5/5/2012

• @MrDOS said: I can't wait for someone to put together a proper RS-232 breakout board.

What kind of "breakout board" do you need -- or rather, what do you want to interface it with? It appears the pins are fully brought out on the GPIO header, so all you'd need is a physical connector plus a level shifter to handle the 3.3V@rPi <--> 12V@COMx...?

• @rds100: I don't recommend that one or any other which doesn't explicitly say 3.3V (rPi I/O); TTL is 5V and the very common MAX232 usually does 5V too. It may be a risk since those pins come straight from the SOC :)

Try this instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-Serial-Port-To-TTL-Converter-Module-SP3232EEN-5V-3-3V-W-Jump-Cables-/270913042764

Or even this one which goes straight to USB for $2.50 or so:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TTL-PL2303HX-Auto-Converter-Module-Converter-Adapter-5V-3-3V-Output-/170798767126

• rds100rds100 Member

@quirkyquark well it says MAX3232, which is the chip for 3V.
    But as always, do you research before purchasing.

• @rds100: Sorry, I see now that it does say 3232 in the fine print, but the description is otherwise almost blank :)

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

@quirkyquark said: Try this instead:

Fantastic! I didn't realize the pins were brought right out on the Pi. That makes life easier for sure.

• @MrDOS said: Fantastic! I didn't realize the pins were brought right out on the Pi.

:D

That's the "mini-UART", 8N1@115200 baud default. The full-UART (hw flow control, framing, etc.) is also brought out elsewhere on the header I believe.