Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?! - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?!

Comments

• @HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:
    When someone is getting big overnight like this, nothing good comes out of it. Hostdoc anyone?

Nothing against you, but it's clearly unsustainable, and it's on LET. All kind of nasty cheapskate client will ruin your business. That's how LET. They see cheap clearly unsustainable offer, they go in, and buy a bunch of it, and abuse it to the abyss.

Thanks, but we operate bit OpenStack cloud in Russia, it is thousands of instances, and we have many nodes in reserve. So we are not just "1 rack" hosting :). Do not worry about it.

Nailed it. You don't get big overnight on LET without a problem. I said it then, I said it again. LET member will abuse the shit out of your server unless you either rise the price, or more selective on accepting customer.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb HostVDS_com
  • The provider should just impose a $3 minimum on fund-add. Saves everyone grief.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:
    When someone is getting big overnight like this, nothing good comes out of it. Hostdoc anyone?

Nothing against you, but it's clearly unsustainable, and it's on LET. All kind of nasty cheapskate client will ruin your business. That's how LET. They see cheap clearly unsustainable offer, they go in, and buy a bunch of it, and abuse it to the abyss.

Thanks, but we operate bit OpenStack cloud in Russia, it is thousands of instances, and we have many nodes in reserve. So we are not just "1 rack" hosting :). Do not worry about it.

Nailed it. You don't get big overnight on LET without a problem. I said it then, I said it again. LET member will abuse the shit out of your server unless you either rise the price, or more selective on accepting customer.

Raising prices would take away the reason why this offer is so populer as there are many providers with a russian location.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

Raising prices would take away the reason why this offer is so populer as there are many providers with a russian location.

And if they do not raise the price then the provider itself will disappear soon.

With this pricing you can't even recover the investment on Hardwares no matter how many time they said they are big and own a DC in the comments.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

And if they do not raise the price then the provider itself will disappear soon.

With this pricing you can't even recover the investment on Hardwares no matter how many time they said they are big and own a DC in the comments.

I am pretty sure that costs within Russia are a lot lower than the western world. The price is pretty good at HostVDS is you deposit for multiple months at a time.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

I am pretty sure that costs within Russia are a lot lower than the western world. The price is pretty good at HostVDS is you deposit for multiple months at a time.

You are talking about vps cost and I'm talking about the investment on Hardware and Bandwidth which is high.

I know cheap things always attract peoples but With this pricing they can't recover the investment.

No matter how much cash you can burn, one day it will finish.

That's the reason many low end provider not see a happy ending.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

You are talking about vps cost and I'm talking about the investment on Hardware and Bandwidth which is high.

I know cheap things always attract peoples but With this pricing they can't recover the investment.

And I am saying that they are competing against other russian VPS hosts. They are likely using cheap hardware and host in a datacentre paid in russian rubles (Which Is weak vs the USD).

I am not supprised seeing a web host trying to convince others to raise prices.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @vimalware said:
    The provider should just impose a $3 minimum on fund-add. Saves everyone grief.

This is a great idea. There should be a minimum topup amount. And more selective account approval.

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

And I am saying that they are competing against other russian VPS hosts. They are likely using cheap hardware and host in a datacentre paid in russian rubles (Which Is weak vs the USD).

While maybe increasing pricing would never yield a good result for the customer, there should be a more preventive measure in place. As of right now, his method is, all comes abroad, abuser or not. If you abuse the service, we will deal with you.

They forgot to take into account, that abuser could comes in pack, and could took the whole node down. By the time they deal with the abuse it's already too late. The damage has been done, and the abuse user most likely have accomplished the mission.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb HostVDS_com
  • @yokowasis said:

@vimalware said:

This is a great idea. There should be a minimum topup amount. And more selective account approval.

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

While maybe increasing pricing would never yield a good result for the customer, there should be a more preventive measure in place. As of right now, his method is, all comes abroad, abuser or not. If you abuse the service, we will deal with you.

They forgot to take into account, that abuser could comes in pack, and could took the whole node down. By the time they deal with the abuse it's already too late. The damage has been done, and the abuse user most likely have accomplished the mission.

Support said it was a SDN (software defined networking) issue that caused downtime yesterday.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@vimalware said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

Support said it was a SDN (software defined networking) issue that caused downtime yesterday.

What does it mean? Did they somehow screw up /etc/netplan?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

$0.79 is still not enough to even recover the investment. Even if they use old refurbished hardware. How many vps they will host on a single node?

Also I'm not advocating other host to increase their price without any reason.

Dirt Cheap pricing always attracts abusers.

Also for now the pricing looks delicious from a client's point of view but then you can't complain if some day the host or if you face constant instability

Anyway, let's see how long they can keep the price same.

And also good luck to you too. :smile:

Stay safe stay healthy :smile:

• @ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

$0.79 is still not enough to even recover the investment. Even if they use old refurbished hardware. How many vps they will host on a single node?

Also for now the pricing looks delicious from a client's point of view but then you can't complain if some day the host or if you face constant instability

You only have to look at the recent price increase from AlibabaCloud, we all know what happened there and this is the same principle - Offer cheap pricing to start with as a heavy investment into getting users on the platform, after a year or so remove the package, after an extra year or so do a price increase for active users.

Plenty of examples of this happening - We'll be pointing back at this thread in a few years time when the 'HostVDS Price Increase' thread happens.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @WSCallum said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

You only have to look at the recent price increase from AlibabaCloud, we all know what happened there and this is the same principle - Offer cheap pricing to start with as a heavy investment into getting users on the platform, after a year or so remove the package, after an extra year or so do a price increase for active users.

Plenty of examples of this happening - We'll be pointing back at this thread in a few years time when the 'HostVDS Price Increase' thread happens.

That is assuming they haven't Deadpooled yet.

I can respect @default decision for keeping it in the bag to protect the provider.

Thanked by 2default HostVDS_com
  • @NanoG6 said:
    Same experience with @dedipromo, I topped up $2 (+0.3USD via stripe), the reason I'm signing up is to try Hong Kong as advertised, but turn out only Russia available. Crap.

No ticket system available, you have to email them

And this is yabs for 2GB instance:

> # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    > #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    > #                     v2020-06-20                    #
    > # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    > # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    > 
    > Sun Jun 28 03:21:06 UTC 2020
    > 
    > Basic System Information:
    > ---------------------------------
    > Processor  : Intel Xeon Processor (Skylake)
    > CPU cores  : 1 @ 1800.001 MHz
    > AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    > VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    > RAM        : 1.9G
    > Swap       : 0B
    > Disk       : 20G
    > 
    > fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    > Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 76.46 MB/s   (19.1k) | 213.82 MB/s   (3.3k)
    > Write      | 76.66 MB/s   (19.1k) | 214.95 MB/s   (3.3k)
    > Total      | 153.12 MB/s  (38.2k) | 428.77 MB/s   (6.6k)
    >            |                      |                     
    > Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    >   ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    > Read       | 231.59 MB/s    (452) | 305.06 MB/s    (297)
    > Write      | 243.89 MB/s    (476) | 325.37 MB/s    (317)
    > Total      | 475.48 MB/s    (928) | 630.43 MB/s    (614)
    > 
    > iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    > Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
    >                           |                           |                 |                
    > Bouygues Telecom          | Paris, FR (10G)           | 718 Mbits/sec   | 179 Mbits/sec  
    > Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 620 Mbits/sec   | 156 Mbits/sec  
    > WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 633 Mbits/sec   | 179 Mbits/sec  
    > wilhelm.tel               | Hamburg, DE (10G)         | 638 Mbits/sec   | 161 Mbits/sec  
    > Biznet                    | Bogor, Indonesia (1G)     | 465 Mbits/sec   | 109 Mbits/sec  
    > Hostkey                   | Moscow, RU (1G)           | 772 Mbits/sec   | 185 Mbits/sec  
    > Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 514 Mbits/sec   | 139 Mbits/sec  
    > Airstream Communications  | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G)  | 601 Mbits/sec   | 155 Mbits/sec  
    > Hurricane Electric        | Fremont, CA, US (10G)     | 609 Mbits/sec   | 145 Mbits/sec  
    > 
    > Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    > Test            | Value                         
    >                 |                               
    > Single Core     | 459                           
    > Multi Core      | 460                           
    > Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2715757
    > 

Do they have Banglore India as mentioned in web site?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @LordCommander said:

No, they don't. They said they'll be adding new locations in August. I hope Bangalore makes the cut.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @yep_george said:

@LordCommander said:

No, they don't. They said they'll be adding new locations in August. I hope Bangalore makes the cut.

So far for it seems initial regions might be US (Dallas) and Amsterdam

• HostVDS_comHostVDS_com Member, Patron Provider

@default said:
    @HostVDS_com - please announce us when we can create more instances.

Could you also increase the default number of instances from 10 to more, like 20?

We had some problem with SDN (we rebuild our OVS network, and something going wrong). Now it works fine and you can create new Instances again :).

We will think about increase default limit, now you can email support why you need more instances and we will increase limit for you.
    It is just protection against spammers/etc

@youandri said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@Tion said:
    Looks like the party is over. Instances fail to create.

We just tune our system little bit, so it was little time unable to create new instances, but olds work fine, no downtime.

We also have plan to the same work in next 24 hours, but I hope it will be little time.

Hello my existing instance up and down. There is a problem?

@default said:

@youandri said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@Tion said:
    Looks like the party is over. Instances fail to create.

We just tune our system little bit, so it was little time unable to create new instances, but olds work fine, no downtime.

We also have plan to the same work in next 24 hours, but I hope it will be little time.

Hello my existing instance up and down. There is a problem?

Yes, it seems there is a huge problem. In the past few hours all my servers went offline and online several times.

@MatthewM said:
    @HostVDS_com

Down 2020-07-06 14:59:00 Connection Timeout 0 hrs, 18 mins
    Up 2020-07-06 14:01:37 OK 0 hrs, 57 mins
    Down 2020-07-06 13:49:02 Connection Timeout 0 hrs, 12 mins
    Up 2020-07-06 12:11:45 OK 1 hrs, 37 mins
    Down 2020-07-06 12:09:10 Connection Timeout 0 hrs, 2 mins

@donko said:
    my vps seems reachable through vnc but i can't access from outside

@soviet said:
    Servers are online

Yes, little network downtime was for some (not all) of working instances. I hope we will be more stable in future.

@AlwaysSkint said:
    @HostVDS_com
    Can't pay via PayPal - the billing system says something like "Couldn't get PayPal URL" which results in an account suspension message, when next logged in. :-/
    Oh well..

Are your sure problem still exist? Some of our clients pay by PayPal and it works fine.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

Do not worry about our ROI :) We build cool cloud with cool price, very simple.

@WSCallum said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

We do not have a plan for rise the price, we even thinkg about limit of 1 VPS per account for $0.49 per month, but only first VPS on account for this price.

How you think will it be popular?

Thanked by 1uni9

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

Do you now about Moore's law?

Thanked by 1rafin103
  • @HostVDS_com said:

@WSCallum said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

We do not have a plan for rise the price, we even thinkg about limit of 1 VPS per account for $0.49 per month, but only first VPS on account for this price.

You wouldn't be able to keep buying new hardware fast enough with that price. And wouldn't be able to keep "bad" people away either.

@yokowasis said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@vimalware said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

What does it mean? Did they somehow screw up /etc/netplan?

SDN = Software Defined Network, modern way of building virtual networks and network functions.

@host4cheap said:

@yep_george said:

@LordCommander said:

So far for it seems initial regions might be US (Dallas) and Amsterdam

Yes, you are right.

@serv_ee said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@WSCallum said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@ViridWeb said:

@MatthewM said:

@yokowasis said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@yokowasis said:

You wouldn't be able to keep buying new hardware fast enough with that price. And wouldn't be able to keep "bad" people away either.

We have a good leasing line. Do not worry.

• @HostVDS_com btw do backup of your panel. Sometimes VM's are getting deleted.

@soviet said:
    @HostVDS_com btw do backup of your panel. Sometimes VM's are getting deleted.

Only with error status was deleted, which cant be start, just recreate it.

• @HostVDS_com said:
    Are your sure problem still exist? Some of our clients pay by PayPal and it works fine.

Teething problems, presumably, as I got a workaround eventually.
    I still have a strange available balance but given that I only deposited $2.30, I'm not worried.
    Your email replies are very generic (the same every time), so perhaps you could do with a Ticket system. ;)

Currently "playing with" (setting up) a new system.. let's see how things go. Not that I need yet another VPS but this will be an interesting side project. This is why I am Always Skint!

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2020

@HostVDS_com Is it possible to mount additional storage when booted in rescue mode? It would be useful but I should manage to do disc reconfiguration without it.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com