Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?!

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@soviet said:

@ViridWeb said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:
    How to get root access of my vps @HostVDS_com ??

sudo -i

Now i cant login to sftp with root :neutral:

Why do you need to login as root?

I see a lot of people here complaining that they can’t get root access, apparently knowing so little about Linux that I get the feeling that they shouldn’t be managing an internet facing server at all.

Why do i need root login ? Because i ordered a VDS which should give me root not users.

And you can easily run everything as root with sudo or change to root with sudo su - . It’s just that root login through SSH is turned off by default. That’s not uncommon, because it could save your ass from bots trying to gain easy acces.

So why do you need to login as root?

The fact that you and a lot of other users ask this question really worries me though. If you don’t know these kind of basic commands it really makes me wonder why you’re managing an internet facing server.

Because even dont let me to connect via sftp with root and i have my reasons why i need root so what its bad here im not allowed to get the root ?

As per previous comments they restricted root access for security reason (Many provider do the same including OVH if I'm not wrong)

So you can't using root. You have to use sudo for every task

Sudo is name for males in Bosnia & Herzegovina :blush: I think they get all girls they like.

Then from now I will use only sudo command. :wink:

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • Some good to have once you launch in major regions

• storage focussed VM
    • partner with Direct Admin for cheaper control panel licenses
    Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • cochoncochon Member

@default said:
    Sudo defeats that responsibility when seeing # instead of $ at terminal.

An interesting take. I'm a pre-millennial [just] and also learned to 'su root' to do admin work, also taking great care with what I typed seeing the # prompt (in my case a flashing # on fancy VT220 terminals).

BUT... in the modern era you're rarely sat at a real terminal typing, usually it's a windowed SSH session (xterm/putty), and who doesn't cut/paste filenames or even full commands from notes, e-mails or web pages into said window. Being sat as root when the paste buffer doesn't actually contain what you think it does is a trip hazard for even the most experienced admins.

I weaned myself onto sudo a long time ago and haven't found any genuine need to be root since. To be fair I do extend the password cache time to an hour so I rarely need to actually type in my password, remembering the sudo prefix becomes second nature.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2020

@cochon said:
    and who doesn't cut/paste filenames or even full commands from notes, e-mails or web pages into said window. Being sat as root when the paste buffer doesn't actually contain what you think it does is a trip hazard for even the most experienced admins.

I do not copy/paste random things into terminal or shell. I dissociate myself from such thinking and behaviors.

Thanked by 2uni9 HostVDS_com
  • When someone is getting big overnight like this, nothing good comes out of it. Hostdoc anyone?

Nothing against you, but it's clearly unsustainable, and it's on LET. All kind of nasty cheapskate client will ruin your business. That's how LET. They see cheap clearly unsustainable offer, they go in, and buy a bunch of it, and abuse it to the abyss.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    When someone is getting big overnight like this, nothing good comes out of it. Hostdoc anyone?

Nothing against you, but it's clearly unsustainable, and it's on LET. All kind of nasty cheapskate client will ruin your business. That's how LET. They see cheap clearly unsustainable offer, they go in, and buy a bunch of it, and abuse it to the abyss.

So on this beautiful day of summer, you dare come in here and suggest that @deank was right all along?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2020

Was I ever right?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @deank said:
    Was I ever right?

Not once.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @G4SHI said:

@default said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

I see a lot of people here complaining that they can’t get root access, apparently knowing so little about Linux that I get the feeling that they shouldn’t be managing an internet facing server at all.

Why do i need root login ? Because i ordered a VDS which should give me root not users.

You live in 2020. You are no longer in the 90's where you login as root. Root access is insecure in SSH. The openssh-server blocks root login by default; this is the default, this is the standard nowadays, because many bots and hackers online scan open SSH ports (like 22), and brute-force passwords by attempting user root (basically a software tries to login on your server, using user "root" and many combinations of dictionary words, very fast).

To secure this, you must have a username that only you know (like "charliebanana") and a very complex password. After you login with the user, you simply use: "su - root" and use the root password, so now you are root. Access to root superuser by default is a serious security issue. I appreciate providers who take this into consideration when offering customers a VPS service.

If you really, but really, like really really, want to open login of root in SSH, you simply type the command:

echo "PermitRootLogin yes" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config ; service ssh restart

This enables root login in SSH, and restarts the ssh service. Now you can login to root by default, but make sure you REALLY want this and have a VERY VERY strong password on root superuser.

Actually this doesnt work for some reason , and i know all of the words that you mentonied but i prefer to login via root and change my ssh port.

Because you also need to add your public key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys file. You may also have another sshd_config change to allow login by key only.

Stop this nonsense about passwords and use keys and you can login as root without feeling like you're going to eventually get broken into.

• serversHQserversHQ Member
    edited July 2020

@HostVDS_com does your affiliate program offer 5% commission on only new transactions or their renewals too? I've few inquiries on my site for VDS option (which we don't offer) and will happy to refer them to you.

Also tell me which all locations are you offering VDS?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @serversHQ said:

Also tell me which all locations are you offering VDS?

Currently only Moscow Russia is available.

• is this legit ? when will it deadpool ?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • HostVDS_comHostVDS_com Member, Patron Provider

@default said:
    So... here I am wanting to contact support. This is in @HostVDS_com support page:

Then I send a message, and I get the following reply:

Hello ,

The email sent to Hostvds Support <s*****[email protected]> cannot be processed. This address is used to collect replies and should not be used to directly contact Cloud Solutions LLC.

Please contact us instead using s*****[email protected]

Regards,

The Cloud Solutions LLC team.

So, what should I do now? They basically reply stating to message at the exact same address, because the exact same address is for replies only. What?

DISCLAIMER: I tried to hide the email address, to protect the email from spam and crawlers.

Yes, we just working on creating new ticket system for our customers, it was error, now it works fine.

@0xbkt said:
    @HostVDS_com Do you have a looking glass or something? I need to test ping and some traceroutes.

Yes, https://lg.hostvds.com

@Shazan said:

@default said:
    Then I send a message, and I get the following reply:

Same here.

Yes, it has been solved already :).

@default said:
    As a side note, the panel of HostVDS and it's pricing, reminds me of AboveClouds, a VPS company ran by @Jacob in UK, but it got dissolved a few years ago. That was quite good while it lasted.

Our team partly works in well-known Russian hosting with almost the same price. And it is online sincse 2004 :). So do not worry about us, we will stay online for our customers :).

@G4SHI said:

sudo su
    but soon we will update our images templates, so you will got root by default

@Ganonk said:
    hot threads on this month :lol:

Yes :)

MS said:

@HostVDS_com said:
    Hi guys!
    I work at HostVDS.com and will try to answer all your questions.
    First of all, we are not scammers, we are just trying to make a cloud, like DO or Vultr, at the best price. :)
    Feel free to ask your questions here - I will try to reply.

Hi,

Is there any government support/involvement/cooperation in your business?

Thanks.

No any government support, except taxes :)

Thanked by 1_MS_

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

You can updated sshd_config for root access, also we will put new images with root as default soon.

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

It is a bad practice to give you a root access by ssh, best practice is give you sudo user, which can be root via sudo command.
    AWS, GCP, Azure do such.
    Vultr, DO and other hosters do not such.
    Seems it is more simple for customers, so we will switch to root access via ssh by default. But who want to be sudo user, he can setup such manually.

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

And you can easily run everything as root with sudo or change to root with sudo su - . It’s just that root login through SSH is turned off by default. That’s not uncommon, because it could save your ass from bots trying to gain easy acces.

The fact that you and a lot of other users ask this question really worries me though. If you don’t know these kind of basic commands it really makes me wonder why you’re managing an internet facing server.

+++ :)

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

@ViridWeb said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Because even dont let me to connect via sftp with root and i have my reasons why i need root so what its bad here im not allowed to get the root ?

As per previous comments they restricted root access for security reason (Many provider do the same including OVH if I'm not wrong)

So you can't using root. You have to use sudo for every task

Or just tune sshd_config and use root as usual ;).

@default said:
    Actually, if I remember correctly, when was created sudo came from: "switch user and do". Personally I do not like "sudo". I am a millenial, coming from the 90's, and I learned to use "root" as a superuser back then, and be very careful what command I use as superuser. Sudo defeats that responsibility when seeing # instead of $ at terminal.

I still appreciate FreeBSD for not offering sudo by default.

May be this is why FreeBSD is not popular at our days :-D. It is a joke.

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:

sudo -i

Just edit sshd_config and restart ssh. Also do not forget setup passwd for root.
    Very simple, few commands. Basic Linux knowledge.

@host4cheap said:
    Some good to have once you launch in major regions

• storage focussed VM
    • partner with Direct Admin for cheaper control panel licenses

Thank you for request, we will work on it.

@cochon said:

@default said:
    Sudo defeats that responsibility when seeing # instead of $ at terminal.

An interesting take. I'm a pre-millennial [just] and also learned to 'su root' to do admin work, also taking great care with what I typed seeing the # prompt (in my case a flashing # on fancy VT220 terminals).

BUT... in the modern era you're rarely sat at a real terminal typing, usually it's a windowed SSH session (xterm/putty), and who doesn't cut/paste filenames or even full commands from notes, e-mails or web pages into said window. Being sat as root when the paste buffer doesn't actually contain what you think it does is a trip hazard for even the most experienced admins.

I weaned myself onto sudo a long time ago and haven't found any genuine need to be root since. To be fair I do extend the password cache time to an hour so I rarely need to actually type in my password, remembering the sudo prefix becomes second nature.

+++ )))

@default said:

@cochon said:
    and who doesn't cut/paste filenames or even full commands from notes, e-mails or web pages into said window. Being sat as root when the paste buffer doesn't actually contain what you think it does is a trip hazard for even the most experienced admins.

I do not copy/paste random things into terminal or shell. I dissociate myself from such thinking and behaviors.

It may be an accident.

Any way, it is a very bad practice to upload something with root (what other guys try to do).
    Better to create some user (for example deploy) and luch web-server on non-privilege port, like 3000, not 80. When hacker wont get root access by default.

@yokowasis said:
    When someone is getting big overnight like this, nothing good comes out of it. Hostdoc anyone?

Thanks, but we operate bit OpenStack cloud in Russia, it is thousands of instances, and we have many nodes in reserve. So we are not just "1 rack" hosting :). Do not worry about it.