Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?! - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is a VDS? Why only $0.79/mth?!

Comments

• HostVDS_comHostVDS_com Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:
    How to get root access of my vps @HostVDS_com ??

sudo -i

Now i cant login to sftp with root :neutral:

Why do you need to login as root?

I see a lot of people here complaining that they can’t get root access, apparently knowing so little about Linux that I get the feeling that they shouldn’t be managing an internet facing server at all.

Why do i need root login ? Because i ordered a VDS which should give me root not users.

You live in 2020. You are no longer in the 90's where you login as root. Root access is insecure in SSH. The openssh-server blocks root login by default; this is the default, this is the standard nowadays, because many bots and hackers online scan open SSH ports (like 22), and brute-force passwords by attempting user root (basically a software tries to login on your server, using user "root" and many combinations of dictionary words, very fast).

To secure this, you must have a username that only you know (like "charliebanana") and a very complex password. After you login with the user, you simply use: "su - root" and use the root password, so now you are root. Access to root superuser by default is a serious security issue. I appreciate providers who take this into consideration when offering customers a VPS service.

If you really, but really, like really really, want to open login of root in SSH, you simply type the command:

echo "PermitRootLogin yes" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config ; service ssh restart

This enables root login in SSH, and restarts the ssh service. Now you can login to root by default, but make sure you REALLY want this and have a VERY VERY strong password on root superuser.

Yes, you are very right.
    Also much better to use ssh_key, not password.

@TimboJones said:

@G4SHI said:

@default said:

@G4SHI said:

@debaser said:

@G4SHI said:

@rafin103 said:

@G4SHI said:
    How to get root access of my vps @HostVDS_com ??

sudo -i

Now i cant login to sftp with root :neutral:

Why do you need to login as root?

I see a lot of people here complaining that they can’t get root access, apparently knowing so little about Linux that I get the feeling that they shouldn’t be managing an internet facing server at all.

Why do i need root login ? Because i ordered a VDS which should give me root not users.

You live in 2020. You are no longer in the 90's where you login as root. Root access is insecure in SSH. The openssh-server blocks root login by default; this is the default, this is the standard nowadays, because many bots and hackers online scan open SSH ports (like 22), and brute-force passwords by attempting user root (basically a software tries to login on your server, using user "root" and many combinations of dictionary words, very fast).

To secure this, you must have a username that only you know (like "charliebanana") and a very complex password. After you login with the user, you simply use: "su - root" and use the root password, so now you are root. Access to root superuser by default is a serious security issue. I appreciate providers who take this into consideration when offering customers a VPS service.

If you really, but really, like really really, want to open login of root in SSH, you simply type the command:

echo "PermitRootLogin yes" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config ; service ssh restart

This enables root login in SSH, and restarts the ssh service. Now you can login to root by default, but make sure you REALLY want this and have a VERY VERY strong password on root superuser.

Actually this doesnt work for some reason , and i know all of the words that you mentonied but i prefer to login via root and change my ssh port.

Because you also need to add your public key to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys file. You may also have another sshd_config change to allow login by key only.

Stop this nonsense about passwords and use keys and you can login as root without feeling like you're going to eventually get broken into.

+++ very best practice, btw you can setup ssh key in our control panel and use it in server deploy time, if so password login will be disabled for ssh (you will still can login via web-vnc for rescue)

@serversHQ said:
    @HostVDS_com does your affiliate program offer 5% commission on only new transactions or their renewals too? I've few inquiries on my site for VDS option (which we don't offer) and will happy to refer them to you.

Also tell me which all locations are you offering VDS?

Renewals too.
    Currently Russia only, but more locations will be available in August.

Thanked by 1serversHQ

This page is for donate for our customers, not for us. I mean if you have not-commerce site, you can host it with us and give you users link for "donate for hosting" direct to your balance with our control panel.

@vbloods said:
    is this legit ? when will it deadpool ?

What you mean?

• @HostVDS_com said: Renewals too.

thanks. I'll sign up as an affiliate then!

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Oh, my word. PMS.

Thanked by 2default HostVDS_com
  • DylanDylan Member

@HostVDS_com said: Our team partly works in well-known Russian hosting with almost the same price.

I'm guessing it's SkyHost.ru? And if so, are they actually your parent company or do you just mean people who work there also work for HostVDS?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • G4SHIG4SHI Member

Its not $0.79 but i paid $1.07 for a server

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • Is the server down (also creating of new one) just for me, or?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • edited July 2020

@HostVDS_com did you really have to do 22 separate replies, some of which were as simple as a smiley face and/or a "thank you" ?? You couldn't add all that in a single mega reply? Come on now.

• FalzoFalzo Member

http://learn.to/quote/

fucking millenials broke the internet, hence need to use the webarchive for that. what a shame.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@t0ny0 said:
    @HostVDS_com did you really have to do 22 separate replies, some of which were as simple as a smiley face and/or a "thank you" ?? You couldn't add all that in a single mega reply? Come on now.

I was thinking the same. More than half replies on this thread posted by @HostVDS_com

• TionTion Member

Looks like the party is over. Instances fail to create.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • edited July 2020

@Tion said:

"fault":{
             "code":500,
             "created":"2020-07-06T07:49:23Z",
             "message":"Exceeded maximum number of retries. Exhausted all hosts available for retrying build failures for instance d0b45da7-ad71-4d03-8f11-ea1551d66ec6."
          },

My existing instance is up and still responding, which is good. I submitted a ticket via email to investigate the issue.

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@daxterfellowes said:
    [...] I submitted a ticket via email [...]

@serversHQ said:

@HostVDS_com said: Renewals too.

thanks. I'll sign up as an affiliate then!

You are welcome :)

Thanked by 1serversHQ

@Tion said:

We just tune our system little bit, so it was little time unable to create new instances, but olds work fine, no downtime.

We also have plan to the same work in next 24 hours, but I hope it will be little time.

@daxterfellowes said:

@Tion said:

"fault":{
             "code":500,
             "created":"2020-07-06T07:49:23Z",
             "message":"Exceeded maximum number of retries. Exhausted all hosts available for retrying build failures for instance d0b45da7-ad71-4d03-8f11-ea1551d66ec6."
          },

My existing instance is up and still responding, which is good. I submitted a ticket via email to investigate the issue.

I just replied in previous answer.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2020

@HostVDS_com - please announce us when we can create more instances.

Could you also increase the default number of instances from 10 to more, like 20?

Thanked by 2uni9 HostVDS_com
  • @HostVDS_com said:

@Tion said:

We just tune our system little bit, so it was little time unable to create new instances, but olds work fine, no downtime.

We also have plan to the same work in next 24 hours, but I hope it will be little time.

Hello my existing instance up and down. There is a problem?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • defaultdefault Veteran

@youandri said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@Tion said:

Yes, it seems there is a huge problem. In the past few hours all my servers went offline and online several times.

Thanked by 2youandri HostVDS_com
  • @default said:

@youandri said:

@HostVDS_com said:

@Tion said:

Yes, it seems there is a huge problem. In the past few hours all my servers went offline and online several times.

Hope the problem fix soon. :)

Thanked by 2uni9 HostVDS_com
  • @HostVDS_com

Down 2020-07-06 14:59:00 Connection Timeout 0 hrs, 18 mins
    Up 2020-07-06 14:01:37 OK 0 hrs, 57 mins
    Down 2020-07-06 13:49:02 Connection Timeout 0 hrs, 12 mins
    Up 2020-07-06 12:11:45 OK 1 hrs, 37 mins
    Down 2020-07-06 12:09:10 Connection Timeout 0 hrs, 2 mins

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • donkodonko Member

my vps seems reachable through vnc but i can't access from outside

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • @donko said:
    my vps seems reachable through vnc but i can't access from outside

From support:

"We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
    Fix problem in progress.
    "

Thanked by 2donko HostVDS_com
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Still the busiest provider on LET, without a provider tag :joy:

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2020

@HostVDS_com
    Can't pay via PayPal - the billing system says something like "Couldn't get PayPal URL" which results in an account suspension message, when next logged in. :-/
    Oh well..

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com
  • Servers are online

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited July 2020

@soviet said:
    Servers are online

Just need the PayPal processor to work. ;)

Edit: Rather than trying to pay enough for a particular instance + fee, I added an arbitrary amount ($2) and managed to pay with PayPal.

Managed to build a Centos instance but decided to go with debian/HestiaCP but can't now create one. Teething issues/lack of capacity?

Thanked by 1HostVDS_com