Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action

Comments

• @rds100 said:
    I don't know what exactly the SSN is used for, but i can imagine that this is to make sure that you are a US citizen and not some illegal immigrant?

SSN = Social Security Number, which you are supposed to be guard with your life these days, lol (identity theft, benefits theft, etc)

There are numerous other ways to verify immigration status

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So Jon, if you own the servers (now) can you turn the power back on (and nothing else) if someone paid the power bill for the day?

• well ovh is not too bad. all they ask is a photo id of sorts and a utility bill with your address.. it's some of these other host that offer a dollar vps and requesting a goverment issued id and cc scan lol. Maybe im paranoid but i get the feeling they dont make money from selling the dolpar vps..

• I feel for those who lost work due to this (yayaya ‘they should've kept backups’ (I know)).
    Also, let's hope there was no foul play involved. In such cases, I liked the idea suggested by @dedicados of implementing a very meticulous ‘Hall of Shame’ site where every bit of detail will be located, to deter further foul play.

• @k0nsl

its been done before.. does not seem to stop the scammers from doing the same scam. the only way i see to stop it is to not allow yearly offers. dont think it would be worth while for them to scam on a monthly offering

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: So Jon, if you own the servers (now) can you turn the power back on (and nothing else) if someone paid the power bill for the day?

exactly what i have proposed,
    Put them online for few hours, announce here tomorrow noon till 01:00 PM will be on, backups done, day saved

• Even just 8 hours to do backup

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@AlexanderM said:
    Data privacy issues will then happen by a client or someone, then shit will hit the fan for CC.

Without our customer's permission we can't do anything. Our hands are tied, and they are being non-responsive.

Very odd, I've known Marc for years and he's always been very kind and professional. Whatever happened must have been significant.

• jbiloh said: Without our customer's permission we can't do anything. Our hands are tied, and they are being non-responsive

But there will be a point where you can boot the servers back up, right?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

alexvolk said: Well, I was thinking that Sarah is actually man, it simply does'nt look that woman did all this things

dafuq ?
    So either:
    1. Women are unable to answer tickets operate whmcs, send mass mails and reboot servers or
    2. Women are incapable of running with the money.
    I can assure you they can in both situations.

Thanked by 2Dylan geekalot
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

@Maounique said:
    I can assure you they can in both situations.

Actually I think the idea here is that there are no women on the internet. Remember, if you meet a woman on the internet, it's a man, those are the rules of America Online chat rooms from 1995 ;)

@jbiloh said:
    Very odd, I've known Marc for years and he's always been very kind and professional. Whatever happened must have been significant.

I just hope everyone is alright. I can think of plenty of reasons for a good guy to drop the company at a moments notice without worrying about the clients or trying to communicate to them and none of the reasons I can think of are something I'd wish on anyone. I hope that everything is alright with him and his family.

• @earl said:
    k0nsl

its been done before.. does not seem to stop the scammers from doing the same scam. the only way i see to stop it is to not allow yearly offers. dont think it would be worth while for them to scam on a monthly offering

Earl, I normally like what you have to say, but this time I disagree. How can you think it's right to determine what is available or not in a free market. Risk is part of life.

Thanked by 1earl
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

@ATHK said:
    But there will be a point where you can boot the servers back up, right?

Maybe there's legal problem with accessing the data without the client's (ShardHost) permission.

Yes, it is the responsibility of the buyer to compare offers and choose knowingly.
    In this case nobody could have said beforehand they will pull something like this. It was an older company with average/better reviews, well known.
    At times you have to understand risks and plan accordingly.
    As I said elsewhere, though, expect this to happen more often and it will reach the bigger guys sometimes early next year.
    Vae to those which are in debt and depending on banks/investors to survive.

• @FrankZ said:

Earl, I normally like what you have to say, but this time I disagree. How can you think it's right to determine what is available or not in a free market. Risk is part of life.

Well I suppose a partial thanks is order :) But I'm not really against yearly deals since I've got quite a fair amount of yearly VPS's that if not paid for yearly would probably not be possible..

I was just saying that these scams thrive on the yearly offer and the only real way to prevent these type of scams is not to offer yearly VPS's.

Again like you say risk is a part of life and when I purchased my VPS with shardhost that was the risk I was willing to take, I don't even think it's all that bad I had 5 months worth of service for $10.. so $2/mo was acceptable for me.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2013

@Maounique - well said

@earl - :-)

• Last month VD vs Burst and now Shard vs CC?

edited November 2013

@dnwk said:
    Last month VD vs Burst and now Shard vs CC?

I fail to see any connection, VD and Burst blamed each other while here Shard simply dropped the towel, never said is cc's fault, they just shutdown and disappeared.
    Besides, Burst accessed the VD's data without being authorized to do so kept their IPs at ransom (by announcing them after they moved) while here CC is even thinking if the power up of the servers is not a violation of the contract since the host shut them down.

Thanked by 1guitarfire
  • Oh.. At the first time, I think VolumeDrive is just another company of Burst. It's not like that?

• Has Marc actually posted anything anywhere, or has it been Sarah doing all the posting?

Just seems odd that for someone that left the company a few days ago, they're the ones doing all the notifications/publications.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited November 2013

If they are actually in a divorce then it's probably:
    a) liquidate company so that doesn't have to get split
    b) run with money

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MrObvious said:
    Has Marc actually posted anything anywhere, or has it been Sarah doing all the posting?

Just seems odd that for someone that left the company a few days ago, they're the ones doing all the notifications/publications.

I've heard nothing.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Well the day after Sarah posted this Marc filed a change of address. That's the last filing I see for the company.

https://copy.com/It7XJMngR2Mb

Sarah, however, had long since revoked privileges to speak for the company (well, several days at least) so I wonder why she posted this?

https://copy.com/1MdQdeqbMZIK

There's my good deed for the day. You guys seem pretty broken up about the situation and asking a lot of questions. Best I can do to help. Not much that hasn't been said, but I found the address change date interesting.

• My first thought was a break-up as well, but I didn't want to post it before because I wanted to give Sarah a chance to explain. Anyway, either the break-up meant assets went some way or the other and they couldn't afford it anymore or one just tried to screw the other one over (and probably succeeded).

• @jbiloh Shardhost also pulled the same stunt on us. Can we get in contact with eachother on this?
    While Shardhost is a Limited Liability company, directors can be held personally responsible in various situations.

• Director Overview

Marc White holds 4 current appointment, has resigned from 0 companies and held appointments at 0 dissolved companies. Marc began their first appointment at the age of 27 and their longest current appointment spans 2 years and 4 months at SHARD HOSTING SOLUTIONS LTD.

The combined cash at bank value for all of Marc's current businesses is £21,083, with a combined assets value of £21,155 and liabilities of £10,630. Roles associated with Marc White within the recorded businesses include: Director

Registered Details

Short name Marc White
    Year of Birth: 1983
    Director ID: 916103936
    Registered Address

Unit 1a Priors Way
    Coggeshall
    Essex
    England
    CO6 1TW

Directorships

4 current appointments
    0 resigned appointments
    0 dissolved appointments

@jbiloh said:

This has absolutely no bearing on anything, the company has ceased trading it is not considered a legal person any more this you can do what you want, obviously in the interest of 'just in case' I am simply suggesting restoring power, nothing more.

It is a real shame when people are in a 'could help' position and don't help.

@perennate said:
    Maybe there's legal problem with accessing the data without the client's (ShardHost) permission.

ceased trading, no permission required, they never 'owned' the data either.

• Is it official that they stopped to exist like a legal entity though? Is this reflected in the companies house or whatever register there is?

A public announcement of cessation has been made by their official representatives, under these circumstances they cannot under any circumstances use the name SHARD HOSTING SOLUTIONS LTD or represent them in any way outside of the wind up process without making them liable.

It will take 28 - 60 days to update the official companies house public records.

Thanked by 1rds100