Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action

Comments

• @rds100 said:
    alexvolk so was Sarah a technical person? Did she know how to shutdown servers?

I'm sure she was, I was with Shard Host for about 3 months.

For 3 month I had multiple problems with VPS being not reachable (node issue) and of course I was raising a ticket to resolve the issue. You maybe shocked but Sarah was the only one person who responded to all tickets. Average response time 1 day, so basically yes, she was only one person.

Tickets -> Sarah

Newsletter -> Sarah

Whmcs hack -> Sarah

Urgent mail -> Sarah

Well, I was thinking that Sarah is actually man, it simply does'nt look that woman did all this things but who knows.

Thanked by 2rds100 asf
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@rds100, that is probably not an option for Jon. I cant speak for him but when someone leaves me and breaks contracts I need to cut my costs to a minimum. That is probably what happened here if the DC actually shut off servers.

• @CVPS_Chris i agree about costs, but there is also benefits - in this case it would be free good marketing benefits, which would probably outweight the costs (power and bandwidth). You know more about marketing than me, so... :)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited November 2013

@Jack said:
    What EU services did they offer ?

Some of DaddyCheese/ShardGaming servers were in the EU would be my guess. TheRegister article said they were renting some servers from OVH.

Looks like a Family Company ?

Husband and wife

So was the plug pulled by the data center or not? Who did shutdown / disconnect those servers less than an hour after the announcement?

The ColoCrossing servers are down but their WHMCS (currently in maintenance mode) and SolusVM (fully functional), both hosted at CloudVPS, are still running (billing cycle at CloudVPS starts on the 1st of the month).

• alexvolk said: Well, I was thinking that Sarah is actually man, it simply does'nt look that woman did all this things but who knows.

You're skating on thin ice there alex ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2013

Jon said that he did not do this on the first or second page, if they are not entering in to formal insolvency then a highly suggest everyone opens a dispute, you do not have to accept what the accountant said, while it is true that it is considered an un secure credit so is a credit card and they don't let you get away with it.

Questions that need answers:

1) Who shut down the servers

Known facts: CC did not pull the plug.

2) Why has a company gone from having 21,000 in the bank at the end of a year of trading i.e. after salary's etc + assets to not even being able to refund a 2 day old transaction in the space of 1 year?

Legal Fact: if the directors have emptied the account to show no money they owe the business money, this is not legal and is considered fraud in the UK unless the money is USED to pay creditors secured or otherwise.

3) Why are the EU servers still up?

Known facts: CC did not pull the plug on them

If it turns out CC did pull the plug but at the time of posting the confirmation it was not CC and Jon was simply not aware at the time I would urge you to switch them back on for at least 6 hours with 24 hours advance warning, hell I will even pay the power bill myself for that period.

You know what, if they came here and said, sorry guys we tried and things are not working out, we will close down at the end of the month, due to personal circumstances we will not respond or be responsible for anything after XX date, then fine that would be ok.

But this was essentially a big middle finger to every customer and the industry, I actually think this is worse than hostrail.

I will be keeping a keen eye on the activities of the directors and will absolutely be making companies house aware of they way this has been handled, it is not correct and the accountant is not a legal representative of the business in terms of the companies act and what the responsibilities of the directors are.

I did not even have service with them but this has really angered me.

@Jbiloh still stand by: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/375677/#Comment_375677 ?

Thanked by 1DalComp
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

are servers rented or coloed ?
    Any option that CC rerun servers for a hour or two ?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Obviously things were falling apart in early November (and possibly earlier than that). If I had to guess, I'd say it was personal issues between the two owners (husband and wife). All assumptions though. The real killer is that Shard continued accepting payments and new orders up until the very moment that they officially ceased operations and disabled everything (services, disappearing off social media, everything).

We were caught totally off guard by all of this, and had literally just finished setting up a bunch of new equipment for them. Bummer for everyone involved.

To make matters worse their accountant guy won't take my call or respond to my emails. Their receptionist has been very rude.

Thanked by 2jimpop jcaleb
  • 2) Why has a company gone from having 21,000 in the bank at the end of a year of trading i.e. after salary's etc + assets to not even being able to refund a 2 day old transaction in the space of 1 year?

Between offering services at a loss and buying equipment it would be very easy to go from 21K in the bank to 0 in a year or less.

while it is true that it is considered an un secure credit so is a credit card

From experience I can tell you unsecured creditors get shit when a company goes belly up. My company has been listed as a creditor on 4 different bankruptcies (all around the time of the dotcom crash) and after the secured creditors and lawyers received their cut we received $0 of the +$40K we were owed from the companies.

If Shard is insolvent the only hope for customers who paid $10 or $20 is to file a chargeback with their credit card company because that's the only way they will be getting their money back. Contacting the accountant won't get you anywhere.

You know what, if they came here and said...

My guess would be their lawyer(s) told them to STFU. Forums are the last place you want to be posting if you're involved in a legal matter. :)

• @DomainBop it seems the accountant didn't have common sense either. Are british pennies really made of copper? Because 166 kg of copper costs more than $1200 by today's prices.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • @rds100 said:
    DomainBop it seems the accountant didn't have common sense either. Are british pennies really made of copper? Because 166 kg of copper costs more than $1200 by today's prices.

They're made of copper-plated steel.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    DomainBop it seems the accountant didn't have common sense either. Are british pennies really made of copper? Because 166 kg of copper costs more than $1200 by today's prices.

That would be illegal anyway.

• dnwk said: @TarZZ92 Since they don't have any money, suing them will only cost you money not recover anything

Companies house says different. and that's the whole point of suing in this case. if they don't have it in the bank then you get bailifs to seize their property instead.

• LeeLee Veteran

Companies house state what their position was at a point in time which is in the past.

Seriously, nobody here is out thousands or hundreds or even a hundred likely. Nobody here is going to take any action beyond a paypal dispute.

Either raise the PP dispute or finish your bitching, learn yet another lesson and move on.

Thanked by 3asf DomainBop Droidzone
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@W1V_Lee said:
    Companies house state what their position was at a point in time which is in the past.

Seriously, nobody here is out thousands or hundreds or even a hundred likely. Nobody here is going to take any action beyond a paypal dispute.

Either raise the PP dispute or finish your bitching, learn yet another lesson and move on.

Just us. Hah.

• LeeLee Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    Just us. Hah.

Which sucks of course, but just as shardhost customers need to accept the loss so do you, different scales :P

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited November 2013

W1V_Lee said: but just as shardhost customers need to accept the loss so do you, different scales

The "loss" is irrelevant for me. I "lost" a couple months on a $8/year plan, and had to spend an hour restoring service elsewhere. I accept that.

What I don't accept is the callous way ShardHost treated its customers. It's unforgiveable.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2013

A note to providers.

If you deal with a limited company in the UK and something like this happens you are not going to recover anything if the company does not have it. The Directors are employees of the company not owners.

So if you get a big order from a UK limited or you get to a point where your exposure is high enough that you are concerned about the risk of loosing money then always obtain a personal guarantee from each of the Directors. This makes them personally liable for any amount due under your agreement and means you can sue them as individuals.

Thanked by 1dnwk
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    A note to providers.

If you deal with a limited company in the UK and something like this happens you are not going to recover anything if the company does not have it. The Directors are employees of the company not owners.

So if you get a big order from a UK limited or you get to a point where your exposure is high enough that you are concerned about the risk of loosing money then always obtain a personal guarantee from the Directors. This makes them personally liable for any amount due under your agreement and means you can sue them as individuals.

I doubt many Director's would agree to a personal guarantee. (Un)fortunately part of owning a UK limited company if is shit hits the fan you're for the most part not personally liable.

• W1V_Lee said: Companies house state what their position was at a point in time which is in the past.

Then you are a fool for not doing anything.. if i was a customer i would be playing hell. you had a contract (for them to give a service) they didnt delivery fully. Perhaps someone should post the directors address aswell as company HQ. that may move things forward

• LeeLee Veteran

@Jono20201 said:
    I doubt many Director's would agree to a personal guarantee. (Un)fortunately part of owning a UK limited company if is shit hits the fan you're for the most part not personally liable.

Then you don't know the UK market to well then, getting credit here these days as a limited company without a personal guarantee is rare. It used to be the opposite, not any more.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@DomainBop I have been there too, and as you say, we got $0 from more than you from a client... that SUCKS. Oh, they were protected by chapter 11 -.-

@jbiloh is there a way that someone rent that particular server? Without data wiping? It may help that a company can absorb their clients, or at least to take a backup from them? My server were with you (CC)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

http://wallofshame.lowendserv.net, some suggestions? or do you say its exaggerated ?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@netomx said:

jbiloh is there a way that someone rent that particular server? Without data wiping? It may help that a company can absorb their clients, or at least to take a backup from them? My server were with you (CC)

Data privacy issues will then happen by a client or someone, then shit will hit the fan for CC.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited November 2013

@netomx said:
    jbiloh is there a way that someone rent that particular server? Without data wiping? It may help that a company can absorb their clients, or at least to take a backup from them? My server were with you (CC)

From what others have posted here and from what Marc told me, they were colo'ing and buying their hardware so it would still remain SH's property? I know he had a rack in CoreXchange and made a big move to CC.

He seemed like a good guy when I chat to him a couple times on IRC so something really must have hit them hard, possibly from the recent data leaks that happened to them due to WHMCS (x2?)

It's funny how people are talking about legal actions here, like they know what they are talking about. Also over a small sum I presume people paid, it's just not worth anyones time unless you don't mind wasting money to take legal action (which I assume the majority here won't / can't).

Patrick.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AlexanderM and @INIZ

thanks for your thoughts

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2013

@dnwk said:
    geekalot How about Paypal. They ask ID too for some times

@dnwk, never heard of that or had it happen to me

Basically:

Outside US = screwed (overly scrutinized) by Paypal and any other US-based entity

Inside the US = screwed by OVH and any other entity trying to give the US a taste of its own medicine ;-)

With all the chargebacks etc that can come out of (online) fiascos like this ShardHost situation, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Paypal and others raise the bar even more :-(

It is sort of like how some a--hole companies want you to provide your SSN in order to APPLY for a job ... like, W-T-F??? Apply, as in submit an application! ... don't even know if they want you or if you even make it to background-check phase. LOL, they can GTFOH with that.

Cheers

• geekalot said: It is sort of like how some a--hole companies want you to provide your SSN in order to APPLY for a job ... like, W-T-F???

I don't know what exactly the SSN is used for, but i can imagine that this is to make sure that you are a US citizen and not some illegal immigrant?

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100 nah, that requirement is normally stated in the job posting and applicants tend to get asked to confirm 'right to work' when they apply. if you get an offer and accept then you have to provide SSN etc and at that point you'd get outed and the offer would be revoked.