Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shardhost Info - Urgent Client Action

Comments

• @eastonch said:
    Apologies for intruding here, but ShardHosting is owned by genuine people who I've personally been friends with for a number of years, I am sure there is a genuine reason for this, and I don't really think Liquidation has taken place, I assume something much larger is at play, either way, it's a shame to see such a good host come to an end.

genuine insolvency

• @AnthonySmith said: @eastonch perhaps you could ask them to stop stone walling then and give people a hint, genuinely nice people do not screw people over like this.

+1

Thanked by 1joshin
  • Hey if there's some way to obtain my data ... ill even pay if that would help.

• Well this sucks. Didn't even get a chance to backup my data.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I don't really know why ppl can run a company without funds.

BTW is there a way to back up data? Not even an hour to log in :/

• I'm sorry to hear this, but every time a provider suddenly opening a new website or suddenly offering a yearly offer, that's just makes me worry.

Thanked by 2earl eLohkCalb
  • LeeLee Veteran

Sounds like a few people need to find a new VPS and this time get some backup space and actually use it.

• I have paid annual in August by paypal. is there a way to dispute or whatnot?

• @jcaleb said:
    I have paid annual in August by paypal. is there a way to dispute or whatnot?

If it's outside of 45 days you most likely can not. If there's enough disputes you can possibly call paypal and explain the situation and maybe they can do something about it though. Not sure.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • LeeLee Veteran

Try raising a paypal dispute, if you check the transaction and there is an option to raise a dispute then you can, I doubt given the circumstances they will even reply meaning you will get your money back.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Every time this happens I come back to the idea of creating a none profit organisation called "The International Federation of Small Hosts" to safe guard people. perhaps this is the trigger point.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@jcaleb said:
    I have paid annual in August by paypal. is there a way to dispute or whatnot?

I opened a dispute through paypal with the whole RackVM fiasco, they pretty much ignored it..

Probably not worth the time.. Maybe you can try with your CC co, but not sure paypal will appreciate that. That is if you still wish to use their services.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Every time this happens I come back to the idea of creating a none profit organisation called "The International Federation of Small Hosts" to safe guard people. perhaps this is the trigger point.

TIFS, catchy :D

• @AnthonySmith said:

And what will that do for us? do you have any legal power over the host/s? will you take the time to sue each one that owes money? do you have the money to do so? or will the website just be a whinge fest area each time a host closes?

Paypal seems like a more feasible option here.. to bad they have a 45 day cut off..

• @ATHK said:
    Paypal seems like a more feasible option here.. to bad they have a 45 day cut off..

I think it would work along the same principles as FDIC kind of like an insurance plan.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@AnthonySmith said:

That is a good Idea Anthony.. or maybe some notary public who can vouch for the validity of the owners.. Especially when the host provides yearly offerings.

• @AnthonySmith said:

There's not much that can be done unless LET/LEB/WHT/VPBS/etc places also work with hosts. It needs to be a committee with regulations and meetings.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Sounds good on the face, but why did you and I and many other small providers work so hard to keep a good reputation? I don't know why they closed up in such a rush, but it doesn't stop someone else coming in and doing the same thing, their prices were unsustainable, why is anyone shocked at the end result?

Thanked by 3jcaleb Asim Dylan
  • @miTgiB for me its just for dev purpose. so i was willing to gamble.

• This is why you should use unison and sync all the data your care about between all your nodes. One or two hosts go down, nothing lost.

• manacitmanacit Member
    edited November 2013

IMO, this stresses the fact that you need to back everything up to something like Glacier that's more or less guaranteed to be there long after you'll need the data, for $0.01/GB. Sure, it's a bit expensive to retrieve, but I'm betting there are people right now who'd happily pay $30 to get their data back.

I've been thinking about creating a super simple backup utility that takes snapshots every hour/day/week and uploads them to Glacier, is anyone interested?

• you should backup even when your host is a billion dollar company

Thanked by 2Asim rds100
  • Meh, nodes appear to be down (Solus is erroring).

Luckily nothing majorly important was on there. Anybody else got a refund after 45 days? (purchased annual KVM).

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited November 2013

What made them choose Err 3 as the classification of the problem (see manually created page at www.shardhost.com) ? little things like that always intrigue me

Marc: What error code should we use if we go kaput?

Sarah: Let me check... ... does 3 work for you?

Marc: Err 3 it is

• I asked for refund 2 hours later after I tried their latest KVM yearly offer. It was terrible. I/O was worst than shXt. A "apt-get upgrade" took 28min to finish for a ubuntu 12.04. Benchmark took 5 hours to finish.

a few weeks after, I received the email from them saying due to security issue, make sure you reset your password. I said to myself there you go, they must get hacked. No shardhost anymore.

• EvoEvo Member
    edited November 2013

Error 404 - File Not Found

Error 500 - Internal Server Error

Error 3 - Host and Servers Vanished Without Explanation and Without Refund

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited November 2013

What made them choose Err 3

That's a standard WHMCS maintenance page.

TheRegister, one of the largest UK tech news sites, has an article on the ShardGaming shutdown:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/12/shard_gaming_shut_down/

• Well at worst I'll have to re-do the sys-admin stuff and luckily all the strictly original stuff was in google-cache. Still though, I'm thinking backups are in my future. But still would have been nice to have 1 day to get everything off. How can your financials be so bad that you can't give 1 day's notice?

• @manacit said:
    IMO, this stresses the fact that you need to back everything up to something like Glacier that's more or less guaranteed to be there long after you'll need the data, for $0.01/GB. Sure, it's a bit expensive to retrieve, but I'm betting there are people right now who'd happily pay $30 to get their data back.

IMHO, the only point it stresses is that you need backups at a reliable provider(s). For me this means an array of LEBs from hosts I believe to be reliable. A simple rsync to Backupsy+Iniz servers serve the purpose. Sixth hourly sql dumps, and daily file dumps has enabled me to be calm even when hosting with the worst in the LEB industry.

• who are the owners.