Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$25 !! Datashack AMD Phenom II 840 4GB DDR3, 500GB, 20TB/1Gbit port - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$25 !! Datashack AMD Phenom II 840 4GB DDR3, 500GB, 20TB/1Gbit port

Comments

• Too bad the 16GB add on for 1045 is $15/mo, not $10/mo like the X4.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

FluX said: What would you do with 20TB transfer anyways ?

Don't know about you, but I would support Internet freedom with that b/w.

Thanked by 1William
  • Wonder if you can use up 20TB on a free image hosting site?

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@ayukas said: This time they put the sex-core into the same price. How you guys feeling now, especially those who ordered the normal quad-core ones couple days ago? xD https://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=145

@earl said: the X4 was $25/mo this deal is $29/mo? not really the same price.

That, and upgrade to 16GB for $10/mo, not $15 like the new one. Total $9 difference each month, close to 50% more on top of the old $25. Not much of a deal, relatively taking.

Thanked by 1earl
  • I've been checking this post on and off. Today I found that finally they were out of stock...

• IP KVM or IPMI available?

• Got mine. Drive about 4.5 years old, but not a complaint point at price (experimental projecct), will throw conetents of pgsql db at AWS glaicer periodically.

• How do I check the Disk age?

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited November 2013

Google smartmontoools

To be fair.. I believe a drive running for 4.5 years is less likely to fail than a new drive, iirc AWS observed that failure happens most in first 30 days [citation needed, i may have forgot the exact details]. Another thing to consider, a drive CAN fail at any point, so if your data is important you need a remote backup anyway, new or raid'd or not.

In addition, whilst not the fastest disk, since it's uncontended and you're not having page/buffer cache stolen by other VMs on openvz, most payloads will never saturate disk IO.

tl;dr - it's not worth complaining about just so you can boast your dd .. they should not have replaced the 5 year old drive imho..

• @kyaky said: IP KVM or IPMI available?

Yes. Well, in theory, that is. I requested use of KVM to install a custom OS and was told: "the wait list is VERY long for a KVM. If you want we can install the OS...". So I did... been waiting two days now for them to install Proxmox for me...

• Why do you need proxmox installed? Get debian, then install proxmox yourself.

• @rds100 said: Why do you need proxmox installed? Get debian, then install proxmox yourself.

I know. Already tried that before on another server and didn't work. Then installed from ISO with no problem at all. Life's too short, I like to play with things that work ;)

• @aglodek said:
    Yes. Well, in theory, that is. I requested use of KVM to install a custom OS and was told: "the wait list is VERY long for a KVM. If you want we can install the OS...". So I did... been waiting two days now for them to install Proxmox for me..

you can try to request it at around 12AM Kansas time.. I got lucky a couple weeks back and they hooked me up right away.. it's worth a try, I think they are really swamped cause of the promotion so will probably take some time before they can reload the OS for you.

• Yeah, can't say this is unexpected. Nice deal and worth the wait ;)

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@ztec said:
    How do I check the Disk age?

if it's debian

apt-get install smartmontools

then:

smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power

Look for "Power_On_Hours" this is how many hours your drive has been in service.

then you can use google to convert hours to days to year etc..

https://www.google.ca/#q=hours+to+days

Thanked by 2aglodek ztec
  • earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@aglodek said:
    Yeah, can't say this is unexpected. Nice deal and worth the wait ;)

You should try out the KVMoIP thought it's really nice :) the lantronix is much better than the few DRAC's and iLO's I've used..

Curious what CPU did you get ? I got lucky and they provisioned mine on a x4 965 so comparing the cpumark of 1045 vs the 965 not really sure it's worth the extra $4/mo extra, well at least for me..

• @earl said: You should try out the KVMoIP thought it's really nice :) the lantronix is much better than the few DRAC's and iLO's I've used..

Yep, sure wanted to try that, that's why I specified no OS and requested access to KVM at signup...

Curious what CPU did you get ? I got lucky and they provisioned mine on a x4 965 so comparing the cpumark of 1045 vs the 965 not really sure it's worth the extra $4/mo extra, well at least for me..

Ordered the AMD Phenom II 840. Did't get provisioned yet, still waiting...

Thanked by 1earl
  • @aglodek

Ah sorry I misunderstood.. thought you got your server already :)

Have to say their service has really been on a decline lately..Their response time to support tickets use to be pretty impressive. Probably not enough staff to cope with all the sales they are having

• Mine is almost 5 years old. haha.

• My online.net server's HDD is 8 days since it's powered on. I ordered the service 8 days ago. I dont believe that's the real life of the server.

root@sd-x:~# smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 194
    12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 9
    192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 4

• Yup! you get pretty good drives with online and OVH, not so much with WII/DS.

• @earl said:
    Yup! you get pretty good drives with online and OVH, not so much with WII/DS.

Brand new ones?

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@joelgm said:

The one with online.net was new.. with OVH I got a pretty new drive, about a year old or less..

• @earl said:
    seems the deal is sold out now!

I think this is also a good deal for 4 bucks more:

https://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=145

• If anyone is interested, I just noticed there is more stock of the $25/mo X4..

• Yep, and there is $19 dedi here also from today again:

https://wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

• @earl said: Ah sorry I misunderstood.. thought you got your server already :) Have to say their service has really been on a decline lately..Their response time to support tickets use to be pretty impressive. Probably not enough staff to cope with all the sales they are having

ONE WEEK and counting, no server and not a peep out of them! I'm not impressed. Decided to cancel my order, no response to that either....

Same person (Theresa) answering tickets on behalf of Wholesale Internet and Datashack. Prompt responses on behalf of Wholesale Internet, not so much Datashack! Strange crowd.

• Im hoping for one of the $29 ones to come back up.. but in the mean time, can someone do one of the links in my signature on one of them? for either the X4 or X6

• ONE WEEK and counting, no server and not a peep out of them! I'm not impressed. Decided to cancel my order, no response to that either....

Update: just received refund and email from Datashack with apologies for the unusual delay.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @aglodek said:

Thanks for the update.. you should have called them, one time I paid and due to some ubersmith bug my order slipped through the system, so I called and told them the situation, they told me to make a new order and was processed that same day.

and yeah DS and WII share the same staff.. I think it's just different owners..