Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing the "Black IPv6 Friday" - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Introducing the "Black IPv6 Friday"

Comments

• @WebProject said:
    Majority of ISP still don’t support IPv6, example: Vodafone, Telefonica, O2, Three network, BT, so without IPv4 gateway it will be impossible to access the service.

You actually get an IPv6 VPN with a /48 for free to be able to access your VM. And the whole IPv6 Internet as well.

• @tgl said:
    @nicoschottelius to be fair, I dont know if you will reach 20k, a fair deal would have been to do a simple math: how many items would i need to sell to break even, and then use that number

Just my 2 CHF's

Good point. And that is exactly what we did. The real break even number is a bit higher (21ksomething) so we rounded down. We don't really have a margin of 50%...

Thanked by 2tgl manish
  • @poisson said:
    Can you sell your plan to CC so that they can be IPv6 ready?

Sorry for asking - but who is CC?

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

nicoschottelius said: who is CC?

The infamous ColoCrossing; those who own this site ;-)

• @RickBakkr said:

nicoschottelius said: who is CC?

The infamous ColoCrossing; those who own this site ;-)

In that case, I should probably reach out...

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@chocolateshirt said:
    Lol, /48 ipv6 on a vps.. I think it will be useless..

Well each LAN (/64) is already the entire IPv4 address space.. squared.

Default business/residential v6 allocation is between a /56 and a /48, and some services online are banning/blocking IPs based on the /48 - so giving a bigger block to a VM/dedi/etc isn't the craziest idea.

The provider offering this appears to have 2x /29s announced from RIPE, which is about 1 million /48s - so they're not running out of space anytime soon handing out bigger blocks to customers.

• @Harambe said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    Lol, /48 ipv6 on a vps.. I think it will be useless..

Well each LAN (/64) is already the entire IPv4 address space.. squared.

Ooops, I think I have to correct something here:

• the VPN includes a /48
    • a VPS includes a free /64

Why? Because this is how IPv6 is designed: You have "1 network" for running stuff on a VPS, whereas you might want to separate things in your office with the IPv6 VPN and then you need multiple networks - so you split the /48.

In the next version of our infrastructure, we will also offer layer 2 networks, so that you can use "whatever you want" between your own VPS. Including your own IPv4, your own IPv6 or even IPX.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said:
    Majority of ISP still don’t support IPv6, example: Vodafone, Telefonica, O2, Three network, BT, so without IPv4 gateway it will be impossible to access the service.

Huh? BT is a leader in the UK for V6 in retail Internet. We see quite a lot of traffic over V6 with them?

• @nicoschottelius said:

@angstrom said:
    "Black IPv6"

Hey, isn't that a little racist?

... you have to include the "Friday" part - it's "Black IPv6 Friday".

Well, is IPv6 the black thing or Friday is? I think "IPv6 Black Friday" is correct.

• @TimboJones said:

@nicoschottelius said:

@angstrom said:
    "Black IPv6"

Well, is IPv6 the black thing or Friday is? I think "IPv6 Black Friday" is correct.

Or Black Friday IPv6. But don't both of them sound strange compared to "Black IPv6 Friday", don't they?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@WebProject said:

Huh? BT is a leader in the UK for V6 in retail Internet. We see quite a lot of traffic over V6 with them?

Probably selected areas of UK are IPv6 enabled, not in my area as I do have account with BT and still using IPv4. I know that EE mobile services are IPv6 enabled.

• Same for me in the uk ipv6 is not very frequently used. I use virgin media and they haven’t got ipv6 yet and o2 as mobile network and they also don’t use ipv6 yet and I think they’re far off. For me ipv6 hosting isn’t much use to me or some people in the uk due to it not being fully rolled out yet. Might be different in over country’s but uk hasn’t got that far yet lol.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said:

@Clouvider said:

@WebProject said:

Probably selected areas of UK are IPv6 enabled, not in my area as I do have account with BT and still using IPv4. I know that EE mobile services are IPv6 enabled.

Do you have a new box? Last time I spoke with the lovely people of BT let year I was told they enabled it for all Customers with compatible routers.

• @nicoschottelius said:

@TimboJones said:

@nicoschottelius said:

@angstrom said:
    "Black IPv6"

Or Black Friday IPv6. But don't both of them sound strange compared to "Black IPv6 Friday", don't they?

No, that's my point. Out of three options, you went with the wrong one.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@WebProject said:

@Clouvider said:

@WebProject said:

Do you have a new box? Last time I spoke with the lovely people of BT let year I was told they enabled it for all Customers with compatible routers.

My own box fully support IPv6. I have spoke to BT and the answer is still negative, exactly the same as availability of ultrafast fibre in my area.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@nicoschottelius said:

How would you do it in German? Not to be a wiseass, but an offer from PHP Friends carried a nice tag and the conversation somehow did not diverge to the semantics

• Since the basic notion of Black Friday is expressed by "Black Friday", any modification of the basic notion would do best to keep the sequence of two words "Black Friday" intact. For example:

• last Black Friday (not: Black last Friday)
    • super Black Friday (not: Black super Friday)
    • upcoming Black Friday (not: Black upcoming Friday)

Following this reasoning, we would preferably have:

• IPv6 Black Friday (not: Black IPv6 Friday)

(The same logic applies to German.)

Thanked by 2Aluminat TimboJones
  • Does it come with free white ipv4?

• Black Friday v6 (BFv6) sounds better

Thanked by 3ITLabs terrorgen uptime
  • @tgl said:
    Black Friday v6 (BFv6) sounds better

That would also work

• cybertech said: Does it come with free white ipv4?

Nope. Why do you need white? It is a typo in the topic.

• way to expensive, for an ipv6 only vps

• @cold 15 CHF / year is too expensive for /64 IPv6, 1GB RAM with 10G Storage? Plus there is a free VPN as well.

• coldcold Member
    edited November 2019

u can find for that money a better deal, lets wait for he Black Friday deals

• cold said: u can find for that money a better deal, lets wait for he Black Friday deals

Some IPv4 deal for more could have been better. Something that we could buy straight away.

• Thanked by 1uptime
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

Well I'll admit that's a unique idea. Crowdfunding a discount...

• @cold Finally IPv4 + /64 IPv6 offer with dedicated vcore/thread and 60G storage [7.5 CHF / month, paid annually]

Thanks @nicoschottelius

• manishmanish Member
    edited November 2019

@vimalware said:

Instant ready to sign up VMs with IPv4 support are missing.

• @manish kinda confused, are you something like the LET ambassador now? Do you really want that title? I'm assuming your cold calling providers with something like:

"these cheap fooks on this shit posting forum want unsustainable deals, want to offer something? You'll hear shit about any issues regardless of the price, your ticket response will be critiqued, and most likely you'll get a bunch of scammers looking to rape your cores for illicit activities. Sound good? Also, under $7 month.

Lolz in all honesty, just saw your ego posts come up recently and have no idea your assumed role around here, quite perplexing

Thanked by 2dahartigan poisson