Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared Increased Pricing Announcement From Cpanel Price Increase - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared Increased Pricing Announcement From Cpanel Price Increase

Comments

• To be honest though, I'm really looking forward for BuyShared's DirectAdmin-based shared and reseller plans. It's not even because I know it'll be cheaper, but I really just like DirectAdmin over cPanel.

With that, I volunteer to be a guinea pig, even if I need to pay to be one :smile:

• donlidonli Member

@pullangcubo said:
    I really just like DirectAdmin over cPanel.

Why ?

• fiendfiend Member

With my case on buyshared reseller its going to cost about double what im paying now.... i understand there is little margin with cpanel, but for me it kinda defeats the purpose of a reseller account if you pay for basically 1 account and then have to pay for every domain, i would prefer a overall increase of price with like 10 accounts and then pay extra or something like that for more (both my reseller account have about 20).

Since i have other "not cpanel" hosting ill tend to use the other if i need hosting since i don't need to pay extra, and the current recommendation of buying a slice with DO, defeats the purpose, i can, but i don't want to manage servers, i prefer to work on the sites and let someone else deal with the hosting platform, ill pay for now and wait for DO or another alternative from Buyshared, still not a big fan of this pricing, but not sure if there was another alternative, now waiting for Ramnode to give their update (my other cpanel reseller) ^_^'

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @donli said:

@pullangcubo said:
    I really just like DirectAdmin over cPanel.

Why ?

I'm answering here as an end-user, but somehow I like it's simplicity over the wall of options I get with cPanel. Maybe it's because my needs on a web control panel is really basic.

One thing I really like with DirectAdmin is their implementation of an addon domain: I get a "top-level" directory outside of the main account's public_html and without the additional subdomain. It's unfortunate, though, that creating a subdomain needs a directory under the main domain's public_html; it would have been great if I had the option to have it as a "top-level" directory as well.

Thanked by 2donli bikegremlin
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@fiend said:
    With my case on buyshared reseller its going to cost about double what im paying now.... i understand there is little margin with cpanel, but for me it kinda defeats the purpose of a reseller account if you pay for basically 1 account and then have to pay for every domain,

You don't pay for every domain, you pay for every separate account. The reason it's called "reseller" is because it's really intended for people that are selling hosting to other people.

i would prefer a overall increase of price with like 10 accounts and then pay extra or something like that for more (both my reseller account have about 20).

They're basically passing the increased cost from cPanel directly to you, there's no magic way to avoid that without Francisco eating the increased cost.

Are your 20 accounts for personal use or do you have customers ?

• level6level6 Member

@donli said:

@Francisco said:
    [8:34 PM] Francisco: we'll be doing a resource bump as well

Speaking of resources are the limits for:

CPU, RAM, Entry Processes, I/O, IOPS and Inodes 

for each plan listed somewhere ?

I've never found that, and at least as of a few months ago it wasn't listed. This is one of my few (only?) nits I have with Buyshared. My other primary host, HostMantis, includes it in their knowledgebase, which is very helpful.

• donlidonli Member

@pullangcubo said:

One thing I really like with DirectAdmin is their implementation of an addon domain: I get a "top-level" directory outside of the main account's public_html and without the additional subdomain.

I have some accounts at cPanel hosts that do exactly that and others that put it under the public_html. I haven't researched why it is different on different providers.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • fiendfiend Member

@donli said:
    You don't pay for every domain, you pay for every separate account. The reason it's called "reseller" is because it's really intended for people that are selling hosting to other people.

Again thats the point of reseller hosting, i know you can put 500 domains on one account, but if that gets too popular or has some issue, all 500 go down, the point of reseller is a separate account per domain, so you can keep everything separate no?

Are your 20 accounts for personal use or do you have customers ?

Its all my websites, so there is no one to "pass the increase" to, its me and im not saying that @Francisco should eat the increase, of course not, just that im not sure about the way the increase is implemented as well that im not glad about it and that ill wait for an alternative from Buyshared.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@fiend said:
    With my case on buyshared reseller its going to cost about double what im paying now.... i understand there is little margin with cpanel, but for me it kinda defeats the purpose of a reseller account if you pay for basically 1 account and then have to pay for every domain, i would prefer a overall increase of price with like 10 accounts and then pay extra or something like that for more (both my reseller account have about 20).

With how little he charges, including 10 accounts in your reseller would cost almost as much as the smallest reseller account. @Francisco will bundle in 10 accounts for you, but the price is still going to go up $1.50/mo for those accounts.

It was done this way so folks with only 1-2 accounts don't get their plan doubled in cost for accounts they're not using.

Also there's no per-domain costs. You can stick 100 domains on your $2/mo reseller as long as they're all in 1 account and your cost won't change at all. cPanel charges per account now though, so if you want to split those up into their own accounts then you gotta pay up.

• donlidonli Member

@fiend said:

Again thats the point of reseller hosting, i know you can put 500 domains on one account, but if that gets too popular or has some issue, all 500 go down, the point of reseller is a separate account per domain, so you can keep everything separate no?

ok, so you are using the separate account feature to provide a protective isolation between your domains. If one is compromised all the others won't be. You are not the only person using resellers for that purpose, I know some other LETers do also. Unfortunately cPanel has decided that feature will cost $0.15*12/year. The way out is to switch to DirectAdmin when available.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member

Francisco said: Sorry people. For us it's a $3000/month+ increase.

Fran,
    Offer us the choice to migrate to a DA server with the same or better resources for the same price. We wouldn't mind

• Yes that is what im looking for too.

@kkrajk said:

Francisco said: Sorry people. For us it's a $3000/month+ increase.

Fran,
    Offer us the choice to migrate to a DA server with the same or better resources for the same price. We wouldn't mind

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • EAgencyEAgency Member
    edited July 2019

I have mixed feelings about Francisco's shop since I found out that Karen blocked me from making further orders for respectfully asking for a refund a day or two after doing my first order, as I figured out that I'd be better off with a small dedicated server and more cores instead of hammering the 4G VPS I was renting from them, without even giving me a notice.

But my business partner Werner keeps telling me every day how awesome they are and how well he got treated when he had a problem and he seems to be willing to spend a small crypto fortune on them in the future and tries to get me to sign off a few reseller plans in LU as soon as they are available again constantly.

I like their approach to the pricing changes way more than the dumpsterfire that HostMantis is and it's incredible how this thread is different from some of the others that had to deal with the cPanel changes. This is a nice showcase of proper communication with clients.

Keeping shops like those afloat by helping them out with sudden and silly 3rd party demand that raised their operational costs exponentially seems like a reasonable thing to do. Especially since they are not piggybacking huge price changes and blame cPanel for that and you get extra ressources on top in the most canadian way to say sorry, I have a lot of respect for that.

Thanked by 1Dean
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

.> @EAgency said:

I have mixed feelings about Francisco's shop since I found out that Karen blocked me from making further orders for respectfully asking for a refund a day or two after doing my first order, as I figured out that I'd be better off with a small dedicated server and more cores instead of hammering the 4G VPS I was renting from them, without even giving me a notice.

But my business partner Werner keeps telling me every day how awesome they are and how well he got treated when he had a problem and he seems to be willing to spend a small crypto fortune on them in the future and tries to get me to sign off a few reseller plans in LU as soon as they are available again constantly.

I like their approach to the pricing changes way more than the dumpsterfire that HostMantis is and it's incredible how this thread is different from some of the others that had to deal with the cPanel changes.

Keeping shops like those afloat by helping them out with sudden and silly 3rd party demand that raised their operational costs exponentially seems like a reasonable thing to do. Especially since they are not piggybacking huge price changes and blame cPanel for that and you get extra ressources on top in the most canadian way to say sorry, I have a lot of respect for that.

Write a letter to your team of lawyers and sue them, like you threatened legal action against a different LET host. There's a reason why some people get banned by hosts. Karen's decision was likely spot on.

• fiendfiend Member

@Harambe yeah i know and i know im probably not the average client, doesnt mean i have to like it, and yes accounts not domains, for me every 1 account is 1 domain, and if it was just 2$ that would be fine, it isnt, the rest i said on my previous reply, you can stick a billion domains in one cpanel account, for that you dont need reseller at all, right, thats the whole point... actually for that its better to get just plain shared...

@donli yes i know and yes if Buyshared does come out with DO or something else and its reliable and has good performance ill obviously move, but we will see, also Buyvm has faith in DO to offer to their clients on slices as a good alternative, but not good enough or not enough time to give as an alternative for shared or resellers that probably dont have the skills or dont want to deal with managing their hosting, so no alternative...

since this cpanel news came when? a month ago? and the new pricing drops in like September, so yeah not much time for anyone todo anything, but we the clients only have 20 days to make our choices here, i understand this is a no win scenario but if i would choose to move thats a lot of data to move, mysql, mails, lots of domains to setup, not too sure if I would even have time if i wanted and it would mean all my spare time for the rest of the month just transferring stuff... im not happy but im also not too sure if i have a good solution so... im grumbling...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Cpanel pricing came out a week ago or so.

Francisco

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@EAgency said:
    I have mixed feelings about Francisco's shop since I found out that Karen blocked me from making further orders for respectfully asking for a refund a day or two after doing my first order.

You reap what you sow. Don't freak out and lose your nuts next time.

Thanked by 2level6 plumberg
  • EAgencyEAgency Member
    edited July 2019

level6 said: Write a letter to your team of lawyers and sue them, like you threatened legal action against a different LET host. There's a reason why some people get banned by hosts. Karen's decision was likely spot on.

Come on, don't derail the thread with personal attacks and inaccurate bullshit. If you have a problem with me personally send a PM and have some respect for Francisco and don't kill this nice thread with something that isn't even remotely close to the topic. Also if you think it's unjustified to threaten legal action over breach of contract you clearly have never done any business in your life.

deank said: You reap what you sow. Don't freak out and lose your nuts next time.

I don't know what I sowed, if offering to even deduct the two days of usage from the refund amount by myself and explaining why I ask for that refund is bad customer behavior in your books the end is really nigh. I think it's not uncommon to test a service for your usage scenario and ask for a refund if something is not going well while trying to minimize damage for the hoster.

@deank nobody said Karen is a bad woman. I just don't like the process of not being told that they don't want further business with me so I can ask them to close my account and delete my personal details besides the stuff they have to keep legally. I basically had to find out by accident a month later when I was interested in another service. If they keep the data without me being able to use the account any longer that's one potential data breach more I have to worry about.

And if you judge people based on one E-Mail and aticket you need a therapist or a magic glass ball because then you can make a killing predicting the future and read out of peoples hands :wink:

I said what I wanted to say. Francisco won't die from not doing business with me and I won't die from not having personal access to BuyVM services. The essence is even if I personally have mixed feelings about his shop I think that Buy(VM)(Shared) is worth supporting and they are handling this situation way better than other providers here and in the office next to me is a person who had great experiences with them so far and how I know him gained a loyal customer for life.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Karen is a good woman who's been working under Fran for ... God knows how long.

Pretty sure she can spot a potential troublemaker when she sees one.

And she may be correct in her assessment as I, too, see what she may have seen from you from the two replies you made in this thread.

Thanked by 1Foul

I wouldn't do both a price drop and a resource bump on the plans if I started offering DA.

I'd probably shave a dollar off the $3 increase, but we'll have to charge something for it. Backups will get fatter and take longer, more to store, more bandwidth used, etc.

Francisco

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited July 2019

@Francisco said:

@sureiam said:

@Francisco said:

sureiam said: Once you're ready with DA will you give users the option to convert accounts to DA and save that $3 a year increase?

Sure :)

Depending on how things go with DA we'll offer something this year at around (or at) the same price.

Francisco

Great! Again, I'm not really oppose to you making additional profit to keep things flowing and frankly a $3 per account increase won't break the bank. But damn if I'm not pissed at Cpanel and don't want to give them my money!

With that said it would have been nice to get a small bump in storage or bandwidth maybe to offset the increase, kinda a little something extra.

[8:34 PM] Francisco: for shared stuff
    [8:34 PM] Francisco: we'll be doing a resource bump as well
    [8:34 PM] Francisco: - all plans will go unlimited BW
    [8:34 PM] Francisco: - the 1GB space plan will go to 2GB
    [8:34 PM] Francisco: - the 5GB will go to 10GB
    [8:34 PM] Francisco: - the 20GB will go to 30GB

I'll get the email out in the morning and the resources should apply by this weekend.

Francisco

That's fantastic! Thanks for the bump in resources really takes the (little) sting off of that price bump and makes us feel really valued and appreciated as customers!

@Francisco said:
    I wouldn't do both a price drop and a resource bump on the plans if I started offering DA.

I'd probably shave a dollar off the $3 increase, but we'll have to charge something for it. Backups will get fatter and take longer, more to store, more bandwidth used, etc.

Francisco

Yea for sure. It would be unreasonable to assume otherwise and frankly $2 for a resource bump isn't a bad deal either. With that said I think many of use are looking forward to the DA roll out so our basic accounts can be migrated from CPanel. But I like the option of keeping Cpanel and the resource bump with the price increase also since it's all working so well.

sureiam said: Yea for sure. It would be unreasonable to assume otherwise and frankly $2 for a resource bump isn't a bad deal either. With that said I think many of use are looking forward to the DomainAdmin roll out so our basic accounts can be migrated from CPanel. With that said a few I might keep on Cpanel and resource bump as they are working well.

I think $2/year adjust w/ the resource bump and DA is fair in my eyes.

We're going to get a DA node up this week. I wanted more time to test/learn it, but people are really wanting it setup. We'll just be honest with everyone and say we're learning at the same time they are so we just need everyone to be patient.

I've not heard of any major melt downs with DirectAdmin so I'm assuming it being a simpler panel is working out well.

Let me know.

Thanked by 2Foul Sofia_K
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited July 2019

@Francisco said:

sureiam said: Yea for sure. It would be unreasonable to assume otherwise and frankly $2 for a resource bump isn't a bad deal either. With that said I think many of use are looking forward to the DomainAdmin roll out so our basic accounts can be migrated from CPanel. With that said a few I might keep on Cpanel and resource bump as they are working well.

We're going to get a DA node up this week. I wanted more time to test/learn it, but people are really wanting it setup. We'll just be honest with everyone and say we're learning at the same time they are so we just need everyone to be patient.

I've not heard of any major melt downs with DirectAdmin so I'm assuming it being a simpler panel is working out well.

Let me know.

Right, Personally I will be asking to deploy it on accounts that are either idle (waiting for use case) or not critical. Cpanel is established and is very secure, so while I don't want to support them at least for the time being I'm okay with paying the increase for important accounts till DA is fully vetted by both of us! ;)

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

fiend said: the point of reseller is a separate account per domain, so you can keep everything separate no?

I thought the usual point of reseller is you're a webmaster and you administer the sites of a bunch of different local restaurants, shoe stores, drug dealers, or whatever. That is, the sites are for separate people who are each a paying client of yours, and they each get an account so they can do stuff like see their viewer stats or post updates to their sites. Meanwhile, you are buying the underlying hosting services from Buyshared and reselling it (that word again) to your own clients.

cPanel in their not-so-infinite wisdom smelled the nice money those clients are paying you, and decided they'd like it if 10 cents from each one got sent their way, without them doing any of the work. They expect you to say "each of those clients is paying me millions, I won't miss the 10 cents off of each account". But people like to pay X dollars for a product and get to to do whatever they want with it afterwards. Schemes where they are supposed to pay X dollars AND pay a slice of their own revenue stream feel like a scam, and when announced out of the blue to go into effect with almost no notice, people get angry. And the millions aren't there to begin with. This is LET and none of us ever has more than $7 in the bank at any one time. So that's why we are here.

If for some reason you have 500 accounts in your cpanel reseller plan that are all for your own sites, surely you can consolidate them and enable 2FA and that sort of thing. The 500 separate accounts isn't going to help you that much in the case of a host-side takeover anyway.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

Let me know.

I have already setup quite a few. DA is excellent. UI is pretty simple and most customers prefer it over cPanel.
    Let me know if you guys need any help. Best luck with the sales, customers will love it!

• @sureiam said:
    At the previous pricing of .20 cents per Cpanel user that would make it $2.4 a year

Isn't it $0.10 per cPanel user for partners / bulk account pricing?

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • @Francisco said:

I used to help run a free web host that had a few cPanel servers and a few DirectAdmin servers. People seemed to be fine with DirectAdmin and some people actually preferred it over cPanel. This was a long time ago but I don't really recall any major issues with DirectAdmin.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @willie said:

fiend said: the point of reseller is a separate account per domain, so you can keep everything separate no?

I thought the usual point of reseller is you're a webmaster and you administer the sites of a bunch of different local restaurants, shoe stores, drug dealers, or whatever. That is, the sites are for separate people who are each a paying client of yours, and they each get an account so they can do stuff like see their viewer stats or post updates to their sites. Meanwhile, you are buying the underlying hosting services from Buyshared and reselling it (that word again) to your own clients.

cPanel in their not-so-infinite wisdom smelled the nice money those clients are paying you, and decided they'd like it if 10 cents from each one got sent their way, without them doing any of the work. They expect you to say "each of those clients is paying me millions, I won't miss the 10 cents off of each account". But people like to pay X dollars for a product and get to to do whatever they want with it afterwards. Schemes where they are supposed to pay X dollars AND pay a slice of their own revenue stream feel like a scam, and when announced out of the blue to go into effect with almost no notice, people get angry. And the millions aren't there to begin with. This is LET and none of us ever has more than $7 in the bank at any one time. So that's why we are here.

If for some reason you have 500 accounts in your cpanel reseller plan that are all for your own sites, surely you can consolidate them and enable 2FA and that sort of thing. The 500 separate accounts isn't going to help you that much in the case of a host-side takeover anyway.

In case of a host-side takeover - no, they won't help.
    But for other instances (like one website going bust), it does help.

Another advantage (with CloudLinux) is the resource caps - one website hitting those won't affect the others. And you know exactly which one it is that needs either optimization, or, if that's done as best as possible, more resources.

Reseller is a good option for anyone having more websites. Not just for those making websites for clients.
    For any website that doesn't need any special setup/environment, it is also the most sensible option - no need to pay for your own CloudLinux, LiteSpeed and control panel licenses, no need to do any server/VPS monitoring.

Thanked by 2fiend 404error
  • williewillie Member

If it's for your own websites and you're a developer, why do you need cloudlinux or control panels? And what kind of reseller plan are you on, that gives you enough traffic that commercial litespeed is anywhere near worthwhile compared to using apache and if necessary bumping up to the next bigger server? I also don't understand how separate accounts per website helps you if a site goes bust.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    If it's for your own websites and you're a developer, why do you need cloudlinux or control panels? And what kind of reseller plan are you on, that gives you enough traffic that commercial litespeed is anywhere near worthwhile compared to using apache and if necessary bumping up to the next bigger server? I also don't understand how separate accounts per website helps you if a site goes bust.

This is my thinking, correct me if I'm wrong:

Cloudlinux does a good job of limiting one website from taking too many resources. Relatively easy to set up. That's good for the hosting provider and for the clients.
    It also does a good job of isolating each control panel/website, so if one is infected with a virus, for example, the infection stays there. Then it's just one site/account: delete - recreate -restore from the last good/clean backup.

Control panel (cPanel at least) makes it easy to set up accounts, import/backup/migrate.

LiteSpeed is the easiest way to improve WordPress website performance. Practically "plug and play" - works well with minimal tinkering, "out of the box"... you get the idea.
    And, from all tested, it seems to be the fastest (except the paid for WP Rocket, that works with LiteSpeed servers even a bit better, but is costly).
    For development, this is not crucial (but good for testing with the environment the website will be running in). For any sites running "live" - it's good.
    There are alternatives. For a VPS, one could save using nginx as cache/reverse proxy.
    But litespeed is very idiot friendly and when the license cost is shared among many users (when using shared/reseller hosting), it's a no brainer - until they do the cPanel pricing trick. :)

Some other important aspects:

• Price per "control panel" / website are relatively low.
    • ZERO time spent with server monitoring, maintenance, security patching... Yes, managed VPS is probably very close to that, but if one wants LiteSpeed and CloudLinux - it adds up.

That is my thinking at least. Each should choose by and for themselves, of course.

Thanked by 2willie fiend