Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirMach - 4 hours of downtime to replace a single drive in raid 10?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirMach - 4 hours of downtime to replace a single drive in raid 10?

lowfrontlowfront Member
edited July 2019 in General

Email from host.

As we continuously monitor our serves to ensure you have the best service, we've decided that we need to replace a disk in the array of ********* to have it continue working optimally. You are receiving this email because you have at least one server that is affected by this scheduled maintenance.

This maintenance period is scheduled for *** PST on //*. The downtime is expected to be less than 4 hours.

Please visit the Network Status page in the billing area for any updates about this maintenance. If you have any questions or concerns please contact our support team through the ticketing feature on our billing panel.

This has to be the worst host I have ever signed up for. Buyer beware. Clearly not a raid 10 setup.

Comments

• and you are loosing millions of $$$ with this planned downtime?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

expected to be less than 4 hours

I doubt it'll take the full 4 hours. They probably want to rebuild the array before the disk starts getting hammered by all the VMs starting back up.

Thanked by 2vimalware magicvpn
  • imokimok Member

OK.

Just check my sig.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @MasonR said:

expected to be less than 4 hours

I doubt it'll take the full 4 hours. They probably want to rebuild the array before the disk starts getting hammered by all the VMs starting back up.

Raid 10 should never require downtime period. That is the whole point of it.

• sanvitsanvit Member

What does 4 hours have to do with raid 10?

• @sanvit said:

The host is requiring 4 hours of downtime to replace a single drive in raid 10. That makes ZERO sense.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited July 2019

No offense but I doubt you care about that 4 hours given that you dont even have an idea to upgrade Ubuntu

You are overreacting to a lot of stuff and being passively aggressive

• sanvitsanvit Member

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

The host is requiring 4 hours of downtime to replace a single drive in raid 10. That makes ZERO sense.

Not all servers have hot-swapable SATA bays

• lowfrontlowfront Member
    edited July 2019

https://imgur.com/a/szL22N2

Industry-Leading 100% Uptime Guarantee

edited July 2019

@lowfront said:
    https://imgur.com/a/szL22N2

Industry-Leading 100% Uptime Guarantee

1) This is a scheduled maintenance, afaik VirMach will give SLA credits for this.

2) You are not paying a few hundreds dollars, what do you expect?

3) They are replacing disks to give you a better performance on a budget VPS, isn't that great? Some hosts dont even bother until everything breaks

Thanked by 2karjaj lazyt
  • The whole point of purchasing a RAID 10 VPS is to be insured downtime would never happen from a disk. This MAKES NO SENSE!

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

And even with hot-swapable bays it takes some time to rebuild a degraded RAID back to healthy again and, during this process, the node may become unstable..

• @ITLabs said:

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

And even with hot-swapable bays it takes some time to rebuild a degraded RAID back to healthy again and, during this process, the node may become unstable..

This is not true in RAID 10 setup.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Gosh, you are one of those who believe whatever you read on the internet?

Thanked by 2ehhthing lazyt

@lowfront said:
    The whole point of purchasing a RAID 10 VPS is to be insured downtime would never happen from a disk. This MAKES NO SENSE!

Thats not how RAID 10 works. Even Cloudflare, Google or even Facebook can screw up to their network. Nothing is guaranteed 100% uptime.

• @deank said:
    Gosh, you are one of those who believe whatever you read on the internet?

I work in a data center and have had vps and dedicated servers for 15 years. I have never had a VPS company sent me an email for ANY downtime. Nevermind a disk replacement on Raid 10. This company is clearly not running RAID 10.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@lowfront said:

@ITLabs said:

@sanvit said:

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

This is not true in RAID 10 setup.

Ok, if you say so.

edited July 2019

@lowfront said:
    I work in a data center and have had vps and dedicated servers for 15 years. I have never had a VPS company sent me an email for ANY downtime. Nevermind a disk replacement on Raid 10. This company is clearly not running RAID 10.

Are you sure you work as a technical role? If thats the case I feel sad for the company.

Thanked by 3ehhthing lazyt HostEONS
  • @FAT32 said:

@lowfront said:

Are you sure you work as a technical role? If thats the case I feel sad for the company.

Right just attack me to get your point across. Lets forget about the host that is scamming everyone.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

PMS is strong with this one.

• @deank said:
    PMS is strong with this one.

I'm trying to protect others on here from getting scammed. But keep attacking me.....

• sanvitsanvit Member

lowfront said: had vps and dedicated servers for 15 years

It's 2019 so you've been running ubuntu 4.10 until now? Since you don't know how to dist-upgrade?

• @sanvit said:

lowfront said: had vps and dedicated servers for 15 years

It's 2019 so you've been running ubuntu 4.10 until now? Since you don't know how to dist-upgrade?

Right keep attacking me! So mature. For the record dist-upgrade was not a solution I wanted to do a fresh install.

• i can understand your frustration. you can always choice hetzner.

• Well I already ordered a bunch of these VPS thinking they were in fact RAID 10.

• sanvitsanvit Member

If this was an unplanned downtime of actual 4 hours, you may have a point. But a planned downtime due to hardware replacement on a $18/y VPS which you even don't know if it's really going to take 4 hours (it says less than 4 and I'm pretty sure your server will come up way earlier than that), not many people here will defend you

• @sanvit said:
    If this was an unplanned downtime of actual 4 hours, you may have a point. But a planned downtime due to hardware replacement on a $18/y VPS which you even don't know if it's really going to take 4 hours (it says less than 4 and I'm pretty sure your server will come up way earlier than that), not many people here will defend you

It doesn't matter how much something costs when they are lying about what you are purchasing.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@lowfront said:

@sanvit said:

It doesn't matter how much something costs when they are lying about what you are purchasing.

Even Digitalocean loses data on RAID 10 arrays. I'll say what VirMach is doing is way better than what happened to people here. Or is it just DO also running fake RAID10?
    https://freek.dev/374-today-digitalocean-lost-our-entire-server

• EHRAEHRA Member

How much motivation to speak badly of a company that informed in advance the need to exchange hardware.

• lowfrontlowfront Member
    edited July 2019

@EHRA said:
    How much motivation to speak badly of a company that informed in advance the need to exchange hardware.

Because they claim to be running raid 10. Which is not true if they need downtime to replace a disk! I got scammed and would like others to be aware.