Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avoid PSK Hosting! PSK Hosting == AlphaRacks (probably)! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Avoid PSK Hosting! PSK Hosting == AlphaRacks (probably)!

Comments

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Everything substantive from a graphics perspective (logo, etc.) looks like it was uploaded in June. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and is set up right before another duck fades away into the darkness, then..

Also, the network page only shows Seattle, but maybe PSK is planning a return to LA next?

https://www.pskhosting.com/siteassets/2019/06/LA.jpg

https://www.pskhosting.com/siteassets/2019/06/LA-datacenter.jpg

Those links dont work as of right now. They are probably closely monitoring this thread.

Thanked by 1imok
  • teamacc said: Those links dont work as of right now. They are probably closely monitoring this thread.

Jeez, that was quick. The "looks like" link was a screenshot of their open wp-content directory at least.

Both LA images were Equinix LA4, and lifted from the Equinix blog. LA.jpg was this image and LA-datacenter.jpg was this image.

The image of the cabling on the "About" page is also from the Equinix blog, and so is the shot of racks on the Network page.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FoulFoul Member

Hi AdamNG (PSK Hosting)

Namecheap abuse responded to my report.

I hope you enjoy your reseller account being touched, and your vps with them!

• I'm curious about what the hell is going on too. I'm a European so I sent in a GDRP request about what information they have on me and how they acquired it. Hopefully I'll get something back soon. Kind of interested to see what they come up with :smiley:

• Tried logging in with my woothosting account and succeeded. I've was a woothosting customer ages ago.

• What would very slightly impress me is if they migrated the services over to the new platform, with the promised extension on time. Obviously they would be blank and start from scratch.

That would probably also cost a fortune..

• It's a good thing this thread is listed on Google even before the actual homepage of PSK when you search for PSK hosting. Can't wait to see them featured on LEB.

SEO: PSK hosting is an absolute scam! Alpharacks all over. Woothosting, NFP hosting, criminal, illegal, spam, avoid.

• Anybody knows if they were incorporated or a registered company? Same for PSK.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2019

Oh wow, thats just asking for problems.

• I've asked Julian as I still have him on Skype for clarification regarding this, as I've found my client details for a test account were too imported into this new setup...

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • @ITLabs said:

@FAT32 said:
    Is this even legal? Transferring/potentially selling client data to another party without asking for consent.

In Europe GDPR would have kicked their asses.

Still quite could be with EU clients.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@RZDHosting_Josh said:
    I've asked Julian as I still have him on Skype for clarification regarding this, as I've found my client details for a test account were too imported into this new setup...

So, is "Julian Jin" (the "Managing Director"/"CEO"/Owner of alpharacks) his real name ?

Did you ever meet him in person or video skype him ?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think everyone needs to remember that they were able to pull this off in the first place not because of the “savvy few” here but because of the price tag and the “who gives a shit many” so even if you have a picture of them committing the crime and a full confession, if the price is 0.49 p/year, it will happen over and over and over again.

It is allowed to happen because no matter how outraged people pretend to be, no one ever takes any real action..... no one!

Maybe I should start a 0.45 p/year hosting service and just mop it all up, zero support, no performance guarantees, but it won’t be a scam, just a shitty cheap hosting plan.

Thanked by 3ITLabs Amitz Falzo
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@AnthonySmith said:
    just a shitty cheap hosting plan.

Don't worry, it will still better than "premium" service by AlphaRacks

Thanked by 2dahartigan netomx
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

Agreed with @AnthonySmith. How many Alpacare's are also (savvy) LETer's? 1%... 2%... even 10%? In a universe of 30000+ customers they will surely attract a good portion of those looking for a (cheap) price tag.

• @donli said:

@RZDHosting_Josh said:
    I've asked Julian as I still have him on Skype for clarification regarding this, as I've found my client details for a test account were too imported into this new setup...

So, is "Julian Jin" (the "Managing Director"/"CEO"/Owner of alpharacks) his real name ?

Did you ever meet him in person or video skype him ?

All communication to Julian were via text, all my work was remote working.

• @RZDHosting_Josh said:

@ITLabs said:

@FAT32 said:
    Is this even legal? Transferring/potentially selling client data to another party without asking for consent.

In Europe GDPR would have kicked their asses.

Still quite could be with EU clients.

I did file a complaint to experience the process for future reference. It can take up some time for a final response though.

To find the authority to go to if you're residing in the EU.
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/national-data-protection-authorities-jan_2018_en.pdf

Funnily enough that document links to CVs of most of the spokesmen / leaders of the specific department for each country which imo would not be GDPR compliant :neutral:

Thanked by 2ITLabs Falzo

You will soon come to learn that these rules 'made up' by the EU are completely and utterly toothless outside of the EU.

• jfergjferg Member

For what it's worth, I did some digging in some systems I have access too, and it looks like the pskhosting.com domain was owned by a Patrick Schaaf since 2013, but it looks like maybe he let it expire and it was snatched up by "we're definitely not AlphaRacks" in June, and started resolving to completely different IP addresses.

• Any attention brought to them is basically free advertising, even if its bad attention. People will still buy services from them, cause they are cheap.

Countdown to "Popcorn time - PSK Hosting closing doors" in t minus 7 months, followed by a whole bunch of "we told you so".

• JabJabJabJab Member

I won like 100$ from AlphaRacks here from the hmmm... website feedback thing - sadly they did not import that into new system :'(

• Look at this from May 18

Now look at this one from June 13

They added a clause about business transfers into their privacy policy at the last minute. Very dodgy...

Thanked by 3uptime Falzo ehhthing
  • chiefwhosmchiefwhosm Member
    edited June 2019

I signed up to LET just to post this message...

After receiving the closing down email from AR the other day I wondered what the LET community would have to say (I originally found AR through LEB) and found all these forum messages which have made for some interesting reading.

At the end of the day everything summed up to the fact they were out of business now so while I couldn't change my personal details (as I'd have liked) the servers were gone. I did try client login on the site and it refused login.

At least this meant my personal details were also gone and it isn't the first site to close taking my details with it so nothing much you can do about that. So no worries then and it's not like I had actually used them in over 4 years anyway.

Today I got the PSK Hosting email and you'll be pleased to know my account details worked just fine to login with (and the client area was all but identical to the AR one for ease of use!), also all personal details were there too! You gotta laugh - right?

Oh, and in case you don't manage to read this message before we run out of message space on this forum - Do not worry! - for a limited time only our June 'Black Friday' message space event is now active and message stock will be refreshed hourly to make sure YOU don't miss out. ;)

• LeviLevi Member
    edited June 2019

They use this provider: https://www.serverhub.com/dedicated-servers/seattle

Source: https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-104-140-112-0-1/pft?s=104.140.112.1

We need to go deeper.

P.S. I can login to PSK client area with my old AR account details :D holly hell! They re-use same database of clients.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@FAT32 said:

No.

ITLabs said: In Europe GDPR would have kicked their asses.

will*

I'm sure they have some customers in the EU, which means that they need to comply with the GDPR. So, if you're in the EU and you were affected by this, file a complaint with your privacy regulator, and they're quite likely to end up getting fined.

(And to anticipate the inevitable discussion: yes, the EU can and does collect on fines from international companies.)

• @donli said:

@dedotatedwam said:
    I was hoping for BetaRacks.

http://whois.domaintools.com/betaracks.com

Dates 2 days old
    Created on 2019-06-12
    Expires on 2020-06-12
    Updated on 2019-06-13

Any offers? 0.49/y

• FoulFoul Member

LTniger said: They use this provider: https://www.serverhub.com/dedicated-servers/seattle

Source: https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-104-140-112-0-1/pft?s=104.140.112.1

We need to go deeper.

P.S. I can login to PSK client area with my old AR account details holly hell! They re-use same database of clients.

You know it's been stated in the thread already they use serverhub, and namecheap.

edited June 2019

joepie91 said: (And to anticipate the inevitable discussion: yes, the EU can and does collect on fines from international companies.)

I will bet you €10 it/they fail to collect/enforce.

Thanked by 1MasonR

Ok so about time for a real refugee offer?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith said: Ok so about time for a real refugee offer?

Oh, Ant, do you really want to go that way?