Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cpanel.net is trying to shutdown my free hosting website - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cpanel.net is trying to shutdown my free hosting website

Comments

• You guys are not telling him what he wants to hear. He obviously came here to listen to people telling him that his argument is right.

• CreativityCreativity Member
    edited April 2019

Since searching the company owner's name says he lives in Turkey, I'm guessing he doesn't have to worry about going to court in America or Europe. If you are not American you don't have to worry about American laws, unless they seek legal action in Turkey which is unlikely given how unfriendly and corrupt the Turkish legal system is to foreigners (I have experience with it). If they do go to US court and win damages he might not want to visit the US ever again.

If things do go south they will go after the limited company in the address, which might mean you will loose the company registration. Limited liability should mean that you are not liable for company actions, but that would only apply if the domain is registered and billed to the limited company and not your personal name...

EDIT: On the other hand, if they do go after you in Turkey then cPanel is a registered trademark there also...

Thanked by 1ItzMayed
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@TarZZ92 said:
    Depends where you are based, american laws do not apply worldwide.

ICANN is global. A UDRP doesn't care where you live.

• hzrhzr Member

SpryServers_Tab said: ICANN is global. A UDRP doesn't care where you live.

Not to mention that cpanel has actually applied for a trademark in his home country too

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • and has it been granted?

• hzrhzr Member

It looks granted half a decade ago.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@hzr said:

SpryServers_Tab said: ICANN is global. A UDRP doesn't care where you live.

Not to mention that cpanel has actually applied for a trademark in his home country too

Yeah he's most likely fucked from both sides. Spit roasted.

• LeviLevi Member

Rebrand, redirect that domain to new one. That's it.

• Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@eurobia said:
    Hello Everyone,

i have been running free hosting website for over 6 years, my website called https://thefreecpanel.com which means the free control panel, i only offer free web hosting, lately i have worked on my website seo and now it appears for many words at the first pages of google.

so my website basicly offer free web hosting and it has a blog section where i write some posts for google adsense

lately i got an email from cpanel.net and they wants me to transfer my website for them because they have a Trademark.

do you think they can take my website ? also can they take my website if i have applied to register thefreecpanel as a limited company ?

https://thefreecpanel.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/the-free-cpanel.jpg

Yes you are using their Trademark..
    I would recommend you to change the logo first
    Then contact cPanel and explain them the issue.
    If they agree (very minimum chance) and allow you to continue then it's fine.

Otherwise change the domain name and everything but renew your existing domain and redirect it to the new one. So when client or visitor open your website it will directly send them to new one..

If cPanel decide to drag you into the court the I'm sure that you can't survive for sure..

• Switch logo/brand, re-direct the domain and see what they say...

I doubt you will be allowed to keep it, they may at least allow you to transfer to them and keep the forward/re-direct.

Thanked by 1Creativity
  • Let them buy your domain..

• No need to push the domain as its on your property. Just redirect the traffic to a new website and inform them that you will not use anymore the domain.

• LeviLevi Member

@chocolateshirt said:
    Let them buy your domain..

This is direct rocket to a district court with ticket of a looser.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2019

I spent 30 seconds looking at your site and see.

Free cPanel Hosting
    CPANEL Speed
    CPANEL Support
    CPANEL Security
    Our Free cPanel
    etc...

Working on your site SEO has yielded results, it brought you to the attention of the very company you are trying to benefit from without actually giving them anything.

Thanked by 2Aidan poisson
  • RazzaRazza Member

@LTniger said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    Let them buy your domain..

This is direct rocket to a district court with ticket of a looser.

LTniger is right why buy the domain when they can get it by force and you pay their legal costs.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am more surprised that OP is surprised to have found himself in this fiasco.

What did he expect?

• LeeLee Veteran

Razza said: LTniger is right why buy the domain when they can get it by force and you pay their legal costs.

Because they will buy it cheaper than the legal costs they will never recover.

• The cost of litigation is null and void for them. Their brand is worth more than any costs incurred, simple. They and most companies will protect their brand which has costs millions to promote and make the number one used hosting panel.

• iloveasiailoveasia Member
    edited April 2019

@eurobia - Recently I completed their cPanel university course. They clearly mentioned that you should not modify logo and remove trademark symbol. You did both.

Your domain was listed on Phistank:

ONLINE. 5948536, .... .thefreecpanel.com added on Feb 25th 2019 2:26 PM, by prodigyabuse, Unknown, ONLINE

It can be used for sending email to cpanel users for password reset, etc,. They want to delete your domain name to avoid this.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

not sure, what i am suggesting, would be a proper solution

may be you may wish to apologize to them and request them to grant you to continue, (may be you may bring in the name buycpanel)

and change a few things, like the logo, the seo, a few more contents

all, if they agree

Get naked and dance merrily in front of their HQ.

Then get on your fours and beg for forgiveness.

• You will lose domain anyway.
    In 2014 I made a replica of worldstarhiphop.com and registered a domain fot it worldstarshit.com I just wanted to host actuall fight video after they just kept on censoring fight video, long story short with in two months I got a notice from a lawfirm, I ignored it and the next they I was sent an actual 15pages of court papers (showing my website and how similar its to their site and trademarks) notice at my address (I am not in Europe or America) so this was when I knew things are serious.. I replied to the lawyer email(which I previously ignored) and transferred the domain to them.

You did not just wokeup and register a domain thefreecpanel.com you knew what you were doing. You did planned to use the word cpanel in your name so it would get you customer, and just that's is more than enough to take you to court regardless where you live.
    If you don't transfer them nicely you will have to pay for the damages (What if they ask for 20%of their monthly profits as damage x number of months you have been using their name for you own profit) they will get the domain anyway.

Thanked by 2vimalware coreflux
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2019

agentmishra said: (may be you may bring in the name buycpanel)

There is a big difference there, they are a cPanel partner, selling their licences.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

So, three things:

1. Contrary to what some of the armchair lawyers in this thread are claiming, merely using a trademarked name is not enough reason to claim infringement. It needs to happen in some way that creates confusion for consumers, or otherwise clearly devalues the brand.
    2. Judging from the things already discussed here, you probably don't have a very strong case.
    3. Even if you did, cPanel has deep pockets and you most likely don't, so even if you are in the right, it would be difficult to impossible to defend yourself legally.
    Thanked by 1coreflux
  • hzrhzr Member

joepie91 said: clearly devalues the brand

I'd argue being involved with someone like the OP here devalues the brand

Thanked by 1FHR

Certainly.

• @xuhaibkhan said:
    court papers notice at my address (I am not in Europe or America)

Whoa. The moment shit gets real.
    Hope you made it out without damages.

• Please, read carefully and think about it.

If this guys are saying that they want their name back, they'll take it anyway. I'm still not sure why you are still waiting from forum members to say, oh you are good guy and why they are trying to f*** your business, because it's not true and nobody will tell you that, as I personally think and I'm 100% sure cPanel guys are also see your business or website or whatever you think they want to "steal" from you, you are bad guy... You are using cPanel's name to lie, you are using cPanel's name to get customers and also you are lying to people and they may think it's cPanel doing all that sht and Believe me, cPanel is wasting ton sht money to advertise their name and sell their products and for many years they have good reputation. it's not just someone wants their name back, it's more like someone wants you to stop using their name for bad reasons.

1. You stole their logo
    2. Their name
    3. You are using their names everywhere
      and tons of other stuff that, I'm 100% sure you changed after that, but if they already sent you that email, believe me they already have collected screens and everything how website looked like whenever they sent it.

I'm shocked how some people decided that he still has chance to win this case...

US gov has no power somewhere? even if it was registered in Russia, they could still get domain back, Because if they'll contact ICANN, they can get domain in seconds and just to know, if you are a bad guy and harming US citizen, business or whatever and US government wants to find you, they'll find you.

So if you want to make it easy and avoid paying extra fines, if they'll send this case to court, it costs money for them :) don't think that they'll pay that money, they'll add one line in case, about financial damages, they will require you to pay 20 000, 30 000 or whatever they need, and then what?

My advice: Go rebrand your website, buy new domain name and "DO NOT USE" someone's name for your favor, also do not lie, especially you are in UK as I see, so U.S and European laws are very complex for cases like this and even if cPanel was good guy in this situation and they gave you time, next time someone may not give you extra time and sue you for huge amount of money.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • I strongly believe OP has intentionally put a post on this forum for page views purely to raise further his adsense and page rank scores.

If it is true... 100% cpanel will come after OP for using their logo trademark and monetising off their trademark and it will be a 6 digit sum.