Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ Yid Bid ★ - Idle service trading made easy - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ Yid Bid ★ - Idle service trading made easy

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

MrFunken said: Mh.. if it is just about the transfer, and the question if the provider has issues with that.

Why not just add providers that agreed to that?

Yep, I was making the noises I was making because the tone of the conversation felt like it would be rolled out without consultation of the hosts. This does fix the potential problem though.

• solufsoluf Member
    edited December 2018

@alilet @dfroe @JerryHou added.

southy said: A mixed calculation always takes into account the % of load, storage etc.

I think oversell is natural and good for business and most likely no user use 100% of their resources but idle server that's a different story you literally use 0% of your resources.

southy said: you encourage speculation that will lead to people grabbing whatever they can next time, preparing scripts and everything so that the average user that just wants a box for himself will be less likely to get something next year.

It's already happening. For example people without virmach.await.app most likely didn't get as much chance as others who didn't know about that app.

southy said: Conclusion: If at all, this should be done at the original price (+ any expenses for the transfer), but NOT at an auction where speculation makes money. If at all.

If no-ones else bid, it's basically that.

@sanvit said:
    I keep getting this error "Bids are offline"

Opens at 8PM GMT (3.5 hours)

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Here is a problem with this it could lead to abuse. Has it been asked of virmach if they will allow this to happen on this platform? Have you asked staff here if you could even post this?

VirMach already enable transferring by default for a small fee. The site is like dating app for VPS. :wink: I don't handle money, I don't sell anything. I only connect two people with common interest.

MrFunken said: So, providers can post some sort of low-end flash offers there.

That was part of the plan.. Providers can post things with $0.01 starting bid price :smile:

MrFunken said: Interesting to work on a fork together? :relaxed:

DM me after this all things relaxes. I don't think fork is a good fit here because it's still in the developing process.

AnthonySmith said: I like it as well however I think it needs a step added in where by the seller has to provide proof that the host is fine to do the transfer on a sale by sale basis with the potential buyers name, email and address provided in advance to run against possible fraud or past abuse.

I don't replace the hosts transferring rules. The site simply connects people on LET. They are both bound to the transferring rules of the host themselves.

@AnthonySmith said:

MrFunken said: Mh.. if it is just about the transfer, and the question if the provider has issues with that.

Yep, I was making the noises I was making because the tone of the conversation felt like it would be rolled out without consultation of the hosts. This does fix the potential problem though.

@AnthonySmith please disclose your thoughts. It's important to me know how we can work this issues.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2018

Well, I expect that people will sell shit on the site.
    Everyone who got a good deal, will keep it, only a small percentage will drop it.

Like the last guy who dropped a 9$/y KVM in Russia.
    But But But, It may be a usefull tool, lets wait.

• 2 Hours left until the site opens! :love:

Thanked by 1ehab
  • eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

Hm.
    Links are fail.

EDIT:
    https://.bid/

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • solufsoluf Member
    edited December 2018

@eol said:
    Hm.
    Links are fail.

EDIT:
    https://.bid/

I believe a mod has changed it (edited 12:55PM, I was at work at that time).
    Probably when they transferred it to Off-topic.

I hope they ( @PieNotEvenEaten or other mod) can change it back and move it from Off-Topic.

1 hour left :hushed:

Thanked by 1eol
  • yid2b00cfca20034dae4ad916c6778c2d953ca2fabbb0db60dd31a7613e71973a81bid

• yid8e9c4afd3d51351c3a67800bb67b90127a673530f2ba0b7e677e6f09fc24bf41bid

• Site is open for bidding
    Enjoy.

• yid57b2d4a706031ac5341f97f75edaae29d1154f3aba24159e9c1cc54862820218bid

• @MrFunken How do you provide legal proof that Terry exists?

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well i put the links back and ill give the site until 10 pm cst tonight in general topic. Until I hear anything different any of the admins. @soluf You have to understand i can't take anything just said on here without proof that @virmach was aware of the site being built.

Thanked by 1soluf
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Well i put the links back and ill give the site until 10 pm cst tonight in general topic. Until I hear anything different any of the admins. @soluf You have to understand i can't take anything just said on here without proof that @virmach was aware of the site being built.

Thanks, I hope @VirMach will clear this doubts soon.
    Moreover, I hope admins will see fit to have such a website in the community.

• yida93666111ede6c692b8afb4cba7d34bd61107ef25b950b9af9d76dfad122c684bid

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2018

We don't consider this as "reselling." A customer is allowed to surrender his service and agree they basically gave us money for nothing. It's treated the same way as an immediate cancellation/termination request. The receiver then must have valid billing information, pass fraud check, and have a payment method on file or store credits.

We accept no responsibility errors in the transfer process.

However, we have logs of the transfers, and try our best to make it go smooth for everyone.

This is basically our reaction to this and our transfer policy:

Letzien said: This is the worst best idea. Shalom!

soluf said: We could easily change it after to a site for selling Jews.

@dedotatedwam said:
    What could go wrong?

But seriously, we just thought it's better than forcing a customer to keep a service they do not desire. It's our solution to something worse that could happen: people selling their entire VirMach accounts. We'd rather someone transfer just the service out to someone with correct billing info than them giving their accounts to a friend and us having to deal with more problems there.

(edit) So this was originally literally intended for giving away services for free, but what happens between two third parties is none of our business, so if they're charging each other that's their own deal.

AnthonySmith said: How does the provider/host authorize this, or does this just generate massive potential to have anonymous users on your system hiding behind 1 or 2 or more old account holders deep?

@AnthonySmith said:

MrFunken said: I would think, that it is exactly the same, as when I would resell servers from you.

Not even close, if you are a reseller, I know who you are and you take responsibility for your sales, there is a clear chain.

soluf said: I can work on a private link on the website to disclose the trade information that the host can see transfer details (paypal accounts, let username, server information and etc).

The idea is good dont get me wrong, but the problem you need to overcome, as a host I do not want anonymous users on my servers.

Bill bob
    1 street
    uk

buys 1GB KVM

Bill sells it to Terry in China, in my system it is still Bill who is responsible, I get a legal notice because it turns out Terry in China is a pedophile, I comply with the courts, Bill's house gets raided

Terry thinks this is fine because I have no idea who he is and it turns out his name is not Terry in china, it is who the F**K knows in some other anywhere because Bill bob had no way to actually validate this with any reasonable measure.

It goes way deeper than that, if it gets sold 3 times and each person abuses CPU and gets a warning the new owner has no idea, I have no idea so they get a 3rd strike and the service is terminated so the new buyer just lost his money.

There are a lot of holes, while I agree to some degree it is not really my problem and I cant stop it and what i don't know does not hurt me, it has some potential bad issues for end users as well

I suppose it needs to be an opt-in for hosts if you want it to really work and allow us to charge admin fee for transfers and new account creating when applicable.

I wouldn't go that far. We are treating it as a cancellation with no refund, and then a free service being generated on another verified account. We have logs/tickets. If there's a request for information we would know which customer had it for which dates. We would not just allow a transfer to a random "Bill bob 1 street" without valid billing details. Not all requests are automatically accepted.

It's possible for the customer's transferred service to be suspended for abuse if there were previous cases, but in many cases if there's recent abuse we may reject the transfer anyway. But yes, anyone receiving a transferred service should assume it's treated as a "free" service with zero abuse tolerance.

Mr_Tom said: Won't this cause people to buy up BF offers just to sell them on? Might cause providers to put limits on number of offers bought per user?

soluf said: And also maybe @VirMach and other providers should limit the amount of "transferring" like WHMCS does. But they should enable it at least once.

Yes, it could be abused, consume too much time, etc. For now we're honoring requests. Of course, if matters change we obviously reserve the right to deny any request or close off requests all together. It's not guaranteed in our terms, nor is it prohibited.

PieNotEvenEaten said: Here is a problem with this it could lead to abuse. Has it been asked of virmach if they will allow this to happen on this platform? Have you asked staff here if you could even post this?

People are free to do what they want, as long as it's not in direct conflict with our terms of service. We're not affiliated with the website, and hold no responsibility for what happens on there. I guess think of it as this being craigslist where our product is being resold using our currently available transfer request option.

@AnthonySmith said:

You could probably do it perfectly if you charge a $10 fee. We charge $3 for now, and it works out as long as people read and follow the rules. The way we have it set up, it's difficult for anyone to abuse it how you're thinking.

soluf said: @AnthonySmith please disclose your thoughts. It's important to me know how we can work this issues.

In terms of your site, I think there will always be that risk where people pretend to sell what they don't have and buy what they don't intend on paying for or following the provider's transfer rules, but that's a risk for any person-to-person trades.

I assume if they're linked to LET accounts they can be banned per the rules, at least, the same way as any auction on LET would work?

@PieNotEvenEaten said:

We were notified of this and we did say we hold no responsibility and do not indorse it, but they're technically allowed to it and it's a cool idea.

At this point to further put people's mind at rest, I would only recommend the website owner puts a few more disclaimers to be fully transparent. Transfers aren't guaranteed, we're not responsible, and they're not responsible for scams. But it seems like it's already there.

IMPORTANT: Before bidding be sure to read the VirMach transfer rules here! DISCLAIMER: The service provider and I, the developer, do not take any responsibility for unsuccessful trades.

• yid99f653a746955d7313c91cd03a8555eba18e78aa7ebfd376a890069d4fea819fbid

• yid01842e9625e66c317b9fd66d6117ed6b69de338edb7b4a8b866fbd4e1a659d64bid

• yid68d99569a917873e5d7f43c5a4bd32380e4af70d5eefe1c22cbe0d89f32d2a8bbid

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

yid4996bc31f697461d35643bac5b35526a3275716f65959a2ff8f0d612b936bc54bid

• yid4b8d1820a2afeec656b4e1fcbea5b786b9b3d521d626f416638e20447daf1972bid

• @soluf
    please disable or grey out bidding form when you dont accept bids anyway - the same for the timer which is not a real one apparently
    how to browse current offers?

• @axxess said:
    @MrFunken How do you provide legal proof that Terry exists?

The same way as the provider itself it also does?

• @silverdawn said:
    @soluf

Yeah, a list of what is available would be useful. The rotating offers made sense when it was a time limited offer, but not for bids.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • solufsoluf Member
    edited December 2018

@silverdawn said:
    @soluf
    please disable or grey out bidding form when you dont accept bids anyway - the same for the timer which is not a real one apparently

Currently the bids are live. You can bid as you like.
    I might grey out the bidding form.
    Although currently if bid when the system is offline a popup message will appear.
    About the second question read below.

@uhu said:

@silverdawn said:
    @soluf

Yeah, a list of what is available would be useful. The rotating offers made sense when it was a time limited offer, but not for bids.

I think it's a wrong call. I'm open for debate. But first let me explain my position.
    Optimally a LET user that posts his offer gets trade right away. The rotating trades are just there to insure that the whole pool get sold. The problem with a list is that you show the users all your pool and the less than great offers will probably will never get sold.
    Also you remove all the factor of surprise. Which for me was a key factor on the initial VirMach flash deals. My initial plan was that an person enters the site. See a plan that matches his need and you simply bid on it.
    However, thinking it through I'm willing to implement a future of maximum rotations for an offer.
    Let me know what you think about my suggested feature.
    If you think a list will be useful, convince me why and how it fits with what I said.

Virtualization: KVM
    Ram: 2.00 GB    Disk: 10.00 GB
    CPUs: 2     Ips: 1
    B/W: 1000.00 GB     Network port: 10 Gbps
    Owner: soluf
    Recurring price: 8.79 USD/year   70% off estimated price
    VPS is paid until the 27th Nov 2019
    Sold for 10.00 USD to FrankZ

My first successful trade, thanks @FrankZ. Thanks @VirMach for the quick transfer.

Timer
    For people who get confused. The timer is when the bids are closed.
    If no-one bids the offer goes back to the pool.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Like the idea and execution.

• southysouthy Member
    edited December 2018

@soluf said:

I aggree to previous feedbacks that the format (one offer at a time) is not suitable.

My initial plan was that an person enters the site. See a plan that matches his need and you simply bid on it.

Well, but what if the offer on display does not match his need?
    Then he has to come back ever so often - and he will never be sure if there isn't a better offer out that he just hasn't seen yet.

Also you remove all the factor of surprise. Which for me was a key factor on the initial VirMach flash deals.

I believe that is the key point. I understand that you liked virmach's idea (I did as well); but that does not mean that this tool should do the same.
    The concept of virmachwas to sell lots of stuff to a large croud, and if one configuration couldn't be sold: doesn't matter, the system puts the ressources together in a different configuration.

Here we have a totally different situation:
    We have a fixed and limited list of available configurations. And we have people with specific needs that want to pick the combination best for them.
    To do that they need to be able to have an overview over the offers.

Or, to put it differently:
    We do have the need to sell stuff off just BECAUSE of how virmach did operate BF.
    I don't think using the very same concept a second time is a smart move to mitigate the problems that did arise with the first time.

I think what we need is a tool where you can browse all offers on display.
    I'm still hesitant to the idea of "bidding" because it leads to speculation.
    But as virmach does seem to endorse it...

• asvasv Member
    edited December 2018

• yid10551cec8fb45d6ee60216d5297d48d409e6e2fd8034c6f961dddeb7730b82e0bid

• soluf said: My first successful trade, thanks @FrankZ. Thanks @VirMach for the quick transfer.

Thank you @soluf & @VirMach The process was simple and painless.

The only addition I would suggest is to have the previous owner send the SolusVM panel login username to the new owner as it is not always displayed in the VirMach client area.
    Since these are not regenerated/new VMs from VirMach they do not send the "Your New Premium VPS " email with all those details. The SolusVM link in the client area works to access SolusVM, but you can't change the SolusVM password without the old password or username, which would allow the old owner to still access the SolusVM panel for the transferred VM.
    (PS: @soluf please send SolusVM panel login username to the email you have for me :wink: )

• yid2810e50911ddfe4b9978d091183d10858617b037d4eac1217ec901b96a89b984bid

This discussion has been closed.