Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ Yid Bid ★ - Idle service trading made easy - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ Yid Bid ★ - Idle service trading made easy

Comments

• @Nekki said:

@gol3m said:
    Sounds like a cool idea, but providers might not like having to transfer their promotional "gifts" back and forth. The name of the VPS company would be good to know.

The VPS company that’s mentioned 4 times in the OP? That VPS company?

You mean MXRoute.io?

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • solufsoluf Member
    edited December 2018

Activated

@sanvit @wtfcook @chocolateshirt @dearroy @ddhhz @levnode @bayarea15 confirmation email was send. To those who got multiple emails, I'm very sorry. The script was fixed. Please make sure the paypal address is valid, because after the sale a automated message is sent to the buyer.

@MasonR said:
    I'd like to collect royalties on my transfer rules ticket screenshot

If only I would get any myself.. But you did it for the community :wink:

@eol said:
    Can we have currency down to 2 decimal places?

Done.

@jh said:
    Absolutely not propagating the stereotype that Jewish people are tight

Haha maybe it has some truth, but surely not the whole story.

@Ho-ost said:
    I also have some rare sneakers. They'll go for 10k on eBay. BIN Price £5,000.

Can I have a picture?

@dedotatedwam said:

hanhan said: I really like your webpage. Can you share the source code of your webpage?

For now I don't plan to. But might do it in the weekend.

@gol3m said:
    Sounds like a cool idea, but providers might not like having to transfer their promotional "gifts" back and forth. The name of the VPS company would be good to know.

I think VPS company prefer to have active buyers that will renew their plans instead of idle servers for 1 year that will be cancelled in the next bill.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Did I miss something?

How does the provider/host authorize this, or does this just generate massive potential to have anonymous users on your system hiding behind 1 or 2 or more old account holders deep?

• yid7dccb8ac09e0d4a301389289549f6c32df52b6749bb58e25af5090f1e14aa362bid

• yideccf0c9a0af3a7acf6c7e33dc1f1bd56a8ffe373bf9b27d9781123c3803800dabid

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Did I miss something?

How does the provider/host authorize this, or does this just generate massive potential to have anonymous users on your system hiding behind 1 or 2 or more old account holders deep?

I would think, that it is exactly the same, as when I would resell servers from you.

• yid55d43d33d76751a2d735a5093dc91f4ef6468f2966296d6c43810990cd53af0dbid

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Won't this cause people to buy up BF offers just to sell them on? Might cause providers to put limits on number of offers bought per user?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Did I miss something?

Maybe they should enable the "transferring" only once. Maybe they can even add the LET user of the buyer as comment in WHMCS. I can work on a private link on the website to disclose the trade information that the host can see transfer details (paypal accounts, let username, server information and etc).

@Mr_Tom said:
    Won't this cause people to buy up BF offers just to sell them on? Might cause providers to put limits on number of offers bought per user?

That can also be done.
    And also maybe @VirMach and other providers should limit the amount of "transferring" like WHMCS does. But they should enable it at least once.

• I knew I should have bought futures in BF VPS.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • It's kind of neat, except, how can anyone trust using this service.

• "What you got bro?"
    'A gold Charizard! How about you?'
    "Aww, bro - all I got is a Virmach V8 and a 500G VMHaus storage."
    'Harsh. Better luck next time!'

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • southysouthy Member
    edited December 2018

@southy said:
    Thanks @soluf
    Nice idea.

Thinking of it a bit more in detail I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

Firstly, especially @VirMach did make quite some deals specially for specific people and groups here on LET during BF. By auctioning you undermine that.

Secondly, you are quite obviously wrong about this:

I think VPS company prefer to have active buyers that will renew their plans instead of idle servers for 1 year that will be cancelled in the next bill.

A mixed calculation always takes into account the % of load, storage etc. that the average customer consumes. If you set your sale up the way @VirMach did you will most likely have many people ordering more than they need = average load and storage use on the nodes will be low. So you can sell more VPS for a lower price.

If you allow customers to re-sell let alone auction off at higher prices, that will lead to more load, more storage etc -> next time the providers will have to raise prices.

Thirdly: you can hardly blame a provider that the customers purchased more than they really needed.
    and even more: you encourage speculation that will lead to people grabbing whatever they can next time, preparing scripts and everything so that the average user that just wants a box for himself will be less likely to get something next year.

On the other hand there is the interest of the customers to put the "over-purchased" boxes to good use...

Conclusion: If at all, this should be done at the original price (+ any expenses for the transfer), but NOT at an auction where speculation makes money. If at all.

• @Mr_Tom said:

I don't really see the Issues there. Yes, on that way the "short time offers" get transferred to a new/different customer. However, they still do that, what the provider wanted to do.

Make Promotion for there own Brand, without any investments.

edited December 2018

MrFunken said: I would think, that it is exactly the same, as when I would resell servers from you.

Not even close, if you are a reseller, I know who you are and you take responsibility for your sales, there is a clear chain.

soluf said: I can work on a private link on the website to disclose the trade information that the host can see transfer details (paypal accounts, let username, server information and etc).

The idea is good dont get me wrong, but the problem you need to overcome, as a host I do not want anonymous users on my servers.

Bill bob
    1 street
    uk

buys 1GB KVM

Bill sells it to Terry in China, in my system it is still Bill who is responsible, I get a legal notice because it turns out Terry in China is a pedophile, I comply with the courts, Bill's house gets raided

Terry thinks this is fine because I have no idea who he is and it turns out his name is not Terry in china, it is who the F**K knows in some other anywhere because Bill bob had no way to actually validate this with any reasonable measure.

It goes way deeper than that, if it gets sold 3 times and each person abuses CPU and gets a warning the new owner has no idea, I have no idea so they get a 3rd strike and the service is terminated so the new buyer just lost his money.

There are a lot of holes, while I agree to some degree it is not really my problem and I cant stop it and what i don't know does not hurt me, it has some potential bad issues for end users as well

I suppose it needs to be an opt-in for hosts if you want it to really work and allow us to charge admin fee for transfers and new account creating when applicable.

• I keep getting this error "Bids are offline"

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

Here is a problem with this it could lead to abuse. Has it been asked of virmach if they will allow this to happen on this platform? Have you asked staff here if you could even post this?

• The whole thing, I think is sic..

Until people abuse it. I do hope I'm wrong though.

• donlidonli Member
    edited December 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

The idea is good dont get me wrong, but the problem you need to overcome, as a host I do not want anonymous users on my servers.

The servers involved in the transfers listed here are being transferred between already existing customers of VirMach. There are no "anonymous users" involved. VirMach does the transfer (and charges for each transfer between customers).

• @AnthonySmith

I know what you mean. However, I think the similarities to a reseller are still the same.
    The only difference here is, a normal reseller is usual a company and not a private person and usually, you know that your customer is a reseller.

If I take your example of Bill & Terry.
    They gov. will visit Bill (exactly as they do it with "CheapReselledServers Ltd.", maybe a bit ruder, however, the procedure is nearly the same.). Bill will say them, that he has sold that server to Terry. Now the job is it to find Terry.

I think the issue is not, that you don't know who is using your server. The issue is more, that Bill really needs to know, that he is acting as a reseller here. He needs to make sure, he knows who is using his stuff and need to give those informations to the gov, if requested.
    (I also think, that Bill need to care about tax stuff, at least in some countries, however that is an different topic)

Thanked by 1soluf
  • As always: Even with the best intentions, there will be reasons that lead to:

"This is why we can't have good things".

• I personally love the concept of the website.
    However, I would make the website for providers instead if end customers.

So, providers can post some sort of low-end flash offers there.

I know, that does not fit into the intention why it was made in the first place.
    However, it would fix the issues about reliability, taxes and law stuff,
    and it still would be a great platform :)

@soluf
    Interesting to work on a fork together? :relaxed:

Thanked by 1gol3m

I like it as well however I think it needs a step added in where by the seller has to provide proof that the host is fine to do the transfer on a sale by sale basis with the potential buyers name, email and address provided in advance to run against possible fraud or past abuse.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I like it as well however I think it needs a step added in where by the seller has to provide proof that the host is fine to do the transfer on a sale by sale basis with the potential buyers name, email and address provided in advance to run against possible fraud or past abuse.

Let will get to know fairly quickly which providers will be cool with it or not. There's already a few providers that spring to mind who would allow transfers and also a few who don't.

Time to get the popcorn ready lol

• yid3522020ccc54c3a5138d812827c74815add014fc5d99d98c321a5e4c928bb4f1bid

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

yid5ebd9a8d6b3d9cbd87876303395d096ece867c6ac21089ea2be4cae16496ea16bid

• AnthonySmith said: The idea is good dont get me wrong, but the problem you need to overcome, as a host I do not want anonymous users on my servers.

this is just transfering VPS between two Virmatch accounts, but not the trade on the account itself. So why you think it will lead "anonymous users on my servers".

"Currently for VirMach only." I am talking about when it is not Virmach only.

• Mh.. if it is just about the transfer, and the question if the provider has issues with that.

Why not just add providers that agreed to that?

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • yid2178f0d591272032ca84c177549fe70c7694e5f5a67e95e824afe7af6b35a685bid

This discussion has been closed.