Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers! - Page 310
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ Black Friday & Cyber Week 2018 ★ RAID 10 SSD ★ OpenVZ & KVM ★ Check inside for offers!

Comments

• @FAT32 said:
    How can you guys get all those 2 / 3.99 / 12 :o

We are well-trained bots :lol:

@ZA_capetown said:
    Also... I got the $5.02 one! ducks

I was also surprised at how lucky I was this year... that's how I ended up buying 9x US VPSs when I only intended to buy 1 or 2 EU ones ;)

Why everyone talking about $5.02 one? Isn't it just a joke? By looking specs I didn't find reasons persuade me buying it.

• @dTQzBen8 said:
    Why everyone talking about $5.02 one? Isn't it just a joke? By looking specs I didn't find reasons persuade me buying it.

Well... $5.02 is pretty cheap if you don't need high MEM or SDD
    and has 2x IP's

4 Pros: Price, 2xIP ; 2TB bandwidth, 2x vCPU
    2 Cons: only 502MB MEM ; 5GB SSD

So if lots of MEM and SDD isn't a needed, it's a pretty sweet deal.

• Also.. didn't you get the 128MB + 1GB one, if I remember correctly? :D

• donlidonli Member
    edited December 2019

@dTQzBen8 said:

There were definitely some flash sale ones that just shouldn't have been bought (like the one with 8GB monthly bandwidth) but 502MB memory and 5GB disk is enough for many applications.

• @ZA_capetown said:

@dTQzBen8 said:

Well... $5.02 is pretty cheap if you don't need high MEM or SDD
    and has 2x IP's

4 Pros: Price, 2xIP ; 2TB bandwidth, 2x vCPU
    2 Cons: only 502MB MEM ; 5GB SSD

So if lots of MEM and SDD isn't a needed, it's a pretty sweet deal.

OK, comparing those tiny things I would choose this one with bigger ram and more IPs. But 5GB disk makes me hesitate. If there's one I may grab one and give up those tinys.

I remember while it was thrown out, I just had look at spec and said Nah.

@ZA_capetown said:
    Also.. didn't you get the 128MB + 1GB one, if I remember correctly? :D

Yep, actually I can bear with 128MB, but 1GB bandwidth do really hurts. It makes me feel the server is at moon, we can only send text saying Hi and Bye. While "battery" is out, it's not available until it recharges.

@donli said:
    There were definitely some flash sale ones that just shouldn't have been bought (like the one with 8GB monthly bandwidth) but 502MB memory and 5GB disk is enough for many applications.

Yeah I regret buying those tiny things. I can understand for low price something must be given up, but it lower experience too much.

• I would say I'm 70% satisfied about 2019 BF/CM sales, we had a lot of good time and encores, Virmach paid efforts making sure we can get what we want. One of the reasons makes me unsatisfied is 502s/bots and I can understand Virmach can't do much about it. Another reason is these odd specs, if you notice you will find me trying to collect balanced specs, I don't want a machines which have only 5GB disks, that means I need use NFS to fill this gap or bear with it. Why not just have a balanced one and make life easier?

• Depends on what you want to use it for.
    For huge webserver or FTP kind of stuff the 5GB is going to be a problem.

But for many other stuff, the 5GB should actually be fine.
    Ubuntu requires about 3GB... so you have 2GB in spare.

(I think 4 of mine only has 5GB disk space... they idle very nicely!) :D

• @ZA_capetown said:
    Depends on what you want to use it for.
    For huge webserver or FTP kind of stuff the 5GB is going to be a problem.

But for many other stuff, the 5GB should actually be fine.
    Ubuntu requires about 3GB... so you have 2GB in spare.

(I think 4 of mine only has 5GB disk space... they idle very nicely!)

Some of us consider a "minimal" server OS to be about 500MB. 3GB is like a desktop OS.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@dTQzBen8 said:
    odd specs

It is purposely designed this way. One of the main reasons VirMach did this is to balance their nodes. It also allows VirMach to utilise most of their host nodes with odd specs. Another good thing about odd specs is it reduced your ability to estimate the value of certain product.

In addition, some of them (8G bandwidth or 1G disk) is purposely set to tackle bots that order without looking at the specs. I am completely fine with this because you all should really take time to read the specs.

Thanked by 2dTQzBen8 FrankZ
  • But you all have to admit that the loss of OVZ plans somehow diminished the madness and craziness of the deals last year.

We had (and still have, because of the easter eggs) awesome deals this year, but last year's was really just crazy!

• @FAT32 said:
    In addition, some of them (8G bandwidth or 1G disk) is purposely set to tackle bots that order without looking at the specs. I am completely fine with this because you all should really take time to read the specs.

I doubt it. Some even make these odd specs a sales point, because it's LIMITED.

@pullangcubo said:
    But you all have to admit that the loss of OVZ plans somehow diminished the madness and craziness of the deals last year.

We had (and still have, because of the easter eggs) awesome deals this year, but last year's was really just crazy!

I consider 2019 sales is better than 2018, at last year we will first look at OVZ/KVM, if it's OVZ without super low price/high specs we will say it sucks. With all KVM this year we didn't said sucks even once. Also, this year we have encore and much more SJ manual deals making sure everyone can get something.

• @dTQzBen8 said:

I consider 2019 sales is better than 2018, at last year we will first look at OVZ/KVM, if it's OVZ without super low price/high specs we will say it sucks.

Indeed, but boy did we all banged our head into the wall when all those OVZs that sucked were migrated to KVM without any additional costs! :lol:

I should have bought some limited OVZ :(

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • VirMach said: Unfortunately not. We do make exceptions here and there, but there are two main reasons we do not allow additions.

No one wants to pay the normal price or setup fee.

Some nodes are specifically filled and don't have those resources available.

I got the $8 deal with only 8GB bandwidth. Using it as a gameserver is not a good choice for me.

Ping statistics for 192.227.227.194: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 352ms, Maximum = 363ms, Average = 356ms

8GB bw is too low for a website that can fully use the 8 core 8gram. Is it possible to add a little bandwidth? 80GB or 100GB? I don't think it will consume too many network resources.

edited December 2019

@moni099878 said:
    8GB bw is too low for a website that can fully use the 8 core 8gram. Is it possible to add a little bandwidth? 80GB or 100GB? I don't think it will consume too many network resources.

It was purposely designed as a trap so you can't utilize all the resources.

• I'm a biobot

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @pullangcubo said:

@dTQzBen8 said:

I consider 2019 sales is better than 2018, at last year we will first look at OVZ/KVM, if it's OVZ without super low price/high specs we will say it sucks.

Indeed, but boy did we all banged our head into the wall when all those OVZs that sucked were migrated to KVM without any additional costs! :lol:

@FAT32 said:

Hey who will know that? I just thought they will stick OVZ lifelong.

Just take free conversion as a bonus.

• @moni099878 said:
    I'm a biobot

OK now we're all Buffalo bots now. We'll got banned soon(TM).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @FAT32 said:

@moni099878 said:

It was purposely designed as a trap so you can't utilize all the resources.

It might make a good database node. Or Image processing, AI, etc..

• Yo guys! Let's party!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • It's quiet now.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • If we're able to move to 187 today, all we need is a single page per day to achieve our goal until Christmas Day!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2019

@pullangcubo it definitrey helps when there are a few people posting

Not only because there are more posts being made (duh) but I think also mainly because it can become an actually interesting conversation (even if it is about nothing in particular)

@uptime said:
    Not only because there are more posts being made (duh) but I think also mainly because it can become an actually interesting conversation (evrn if it is about nothing in particular)

How about some commutative combinatorics?

Ok to be honest I have no idea what is that LOL.

• @uptime The problem is there's not much drama going on around here hence nothing much to talk about. Maybe we can start one to get the ball rolling, eh? :lol:

• Speaking of which: what's with the abundance of GIFs about buses?

• @FAT32 said:

I transferred one, forgot about the impending conversion to kvm.. it was a steal.. but what to do? My loss = someone else's gain

• Intel's Manufacturing Roadmap from 2019 to 2029 https://t.co/BJbrgrZkvM

• I will be on the road today, so probably less active.

@plumberg said:
    I transferred one, forgot about the impending conversion to kvm.. it was a steal.. but what to do? My loss = someone else's gain

True, looking at the bright side someone will be very happy :)

Thanked by 1plumberg