Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

Why did you remove the server I7-SSD-1(i7-4790K,4c / 8t,4 GHz+,32 GB,2 x 240 GB SSD) ~ 47eur in SYS?

• @Vova1234 said:

Why did you remove the server I7-SSD-1(i7-4790K,4c / 8t,4 GHz+,32 GB,2 x 240 GB SSD) ~ 47eur in SYS?

Well because we move our catalog based on sales and stock as always.

Can't you find a good ratio for you inside the the range or SyS GAME ?
    What's missing, 2 x SSD ?

• wokenwollwokenwoll Member
    edited July 2018

Hello, just to inform you about a good news.

We now have Stock on SyS CPU range
    https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/syscpu-servers/

Those servers are shipped with Intel E5 Family.
    Since we believe that lot of you will use them for reselling services like VPS on top of it, we would like to help you more.

Starting soon (normally this week or next week), additionnal IP price will be 1€ / month per IPv4 instead of 2€ / month / IP (not for the 16 first ones, but for the 17th to 128th)
    (setup fees unchanged)

It will be effective for existing IPs and new ones (for current and new services)

You'll receive an email about it.

have a good day all.

Thanked by 3Aidan atomi FHR

@wokenwoll said:

@Vova1234 said:

Well because we move our catalog based on sales and stock as always.

Can't you find a good ratio for you inside the the range or SyS GAME ?
    What's missing, 2 x SSD ?

I just asked why they removed it, nothing more.

There is a tariff GAME-3. So the point is that the old one is on: https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/order/soYouStart.xml?reference=173game3

If I'll try to create an order, writes PLAN NOT FOUND 404.

But the new https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/order/soYouStart.xml?reference=1801sysgame06 is not available for 2.4 weeks.

Does not it seem like illogical? Friends and I, waiting for half a month to order GAME-3.

• williewillie Member

The ARM storage servers were the most interesting so I hope they come back.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

The bandwidth throttling looks more like a bug than a feature to me... Wondering what weird patch got implemented, and by which moron. When doing multiple outgoing TCP connections in parallel (or in a short interval), most are capped at 5 Mbit/s but some are full speed. WTF.

• NihimNihim Member

which reminds to ask again. Is there a way to backup the kernel used for netboot, in case they "upgrade" it?

• @willie said:
    The ARM storage servers were the most interesting so I hope they come back.

they're back on BHS ... all model
    https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/

but when back to IE site, it's out of stock
    https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/server-storage/

• edited July 2018

ufw does not work out of the box. Any one has the same issue? Do you know how to resolve it? Thanks.

• ipv6 does not work at BHS.

• edited July 2018

how about cpu lineup ( add stock ) and include 1gig free inbound ?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

@wokenwoll You took the time to post on my wall and I took the time to come here and outline what was needed. However, you never have replied to me and you seems to have completely ignored/glossed over my post (on purpose?). Why did you ask how you could help if you were not going to do anything at all? It isn't like you guys haven't continued to add stock and sell it all out, again and again, because of this thread where we explain how to make usable your poorly planned platform. You guys have made your profit margins on the service now, so can you please at least take the time to review and assist us with the kernel? The least you could do is give us directions for compilation and installation of the kernel you guys provided us source for.

It was pretty poor of you guys to provide pre-compiled kernels that you didn't test that perform poorly in your default templates, it is adding insult to injury the longer you delay helping us accomplish making a newer usable kernel that isn't trash. Continuing to punish your customers because someone failed to do their job in QA and then continuing to compound it by ignoring the requests of your customers for help to fix the issue is not the way to make your customers happy either!

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2018

Following great advice provided by @TheLinuxBug, I successfully compiled the additional modules needed for disk encryption under the old non-throttled kernel. Works pretty good so far, I finally get the best of both worlds.

One minor caveat though: the only crypto cipher to be ARM-accelerated (in-kernel mv-cbc-aes) seems incompatible with luks under 4.5.2 kernel - I got panics upon writing on aes-cbc encrypted volume, so had to use some other (much slower) cipher. No such issue with the newer 4.9.x kernels, but then you get the stupid throttling...

• edited July 2018

Shot2 said: I finally get the best of both worlds.

Could you write a guide or blog post about it? Would love to read about it. Really appreciate it!
    Thanks.

• williewillie Member

Shot2 said: No such issue with the newer 4.9.x kernels, but then you get the stupid throttling...

Is performance tolerable with the slower cipher? Is there a reasonable way to build and install a non-throttled newer kernel?

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2018

Tolerable yes; depending on ciphers you get between 25-35 MB/s write speed (i.e. enough to accommodate incoming transfers) instead of 60-70 MB/s when using the accelerated Marvell-AES-CBC crypto of newer 4.9.x kernels.

edit: and better use lightweight crypto too when rsync'ing-over-ssh, or else you add insult to injury - poor little ARM CPU...

Thanked by 1willie
  • edited July 2018

after downgrading to non-throttling kernel, docker is not supported....
    Could someone help?

ERRO[0001] 'overlay' not found as a supported filesystem on this host. Please ensure kernel is new enough and has overlay support loaded. 
    ERRO[0001] 'overlay' not found as a supported filesystem on this host. Please ensure kernel is new enough and has overlay support loaded. 
    INFO[0001] Graph migration to content-addressability took 0.00 seconds 
    WARN[0001] Unable to find cpu cgroup in mounts          
    WARN[0001] Your kernel does not support cgroup blkio weight 
    WARN[0001] Your kernel does not support cgroup blkio weight_device 
    WARN[0001] Your kernel does not support cgroup blkio throttle.read_bps_device 
    WARN[0001] Your kernel does not support cgroup blkio throttle.write_bps_device 
    WARN[0001] Your kernel does not support cgroup blkio throttle.read_iops_device 
    WARN[0001] Your kernel does not support cgroup blkio throttle.write_iops_device 
    WARN[0001] mountpoint for pids not found                
    Error starting daemon: Devices cgroup isn't mounted

Will this configuration of Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 4c / 4t 3.2 GHz + 32 GB DDR3 1333 MHz 3 x 120 GB SSD = 28 EUR available?

• can we use netboot to install ubuntu 18.04?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/18.04/

• Jona4sJona4s Member

Pretty hard to find $3 per TB elsewhere. That $6/2TB was really cool, while it lasted lol

• williewillie Member

Oh they're gone again, there were some in BHS til recently. I hope they come back.

Do users still have to open separate accounts for each OVH brand (OVH, SYS, and KS) even at the same location? I have OVH and KS in BHS already, plus KS in France, and might at some point want these SYS ARM servers in both places. Meh.

• seanhoseanho Member
    edited July 2018

@willie said:
    Oh they're gone again, there were some in BHS til recently. I hope they come back.

Do users still have to open separate accounts for each OVH brand (OVH, SYS, and KS) even at the same location? I have OVH and KS in BHS already, plus KS in France, and might at some point want these SYS ARM servers in both places. Meh.

I created new accounts for SYS-IE and SYS-US; I already had a KS-US account and OVH-IE and OVH-US accounts (and none of them worked for SYS). All with distinct email addresses and customer IDs. Kind of a pain, but I just track them all in my password manager.

I managed to snag one each ARM-2T in BHS and GRA yesterday; running 4.9.58-armada375, 5Mbps upload to outside OVH, about 50Mbps via tinc/UDP. tinc-1.1 hammers the poor CPU pretty hard. I'm just planning on using it to backup my KS.

• Personally I've given up on the idea of using the arm dedi for anything other than only storage. Transfers with sshfs or rsync over ssh kill the cpu. I have 2tb at both locations plus a 4tb in Canada. As far as storage goes it's an unbeatable deal though :)

• There is a 2tb in France available right now..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Jona4s said:
    Pretty hard to find $3 per TB elsewhere. That $6/2TB was really cool, while it lasted lol

Well, they come mostly daily in stock:

• Jona4sJona4s Member

Yeah I was querying ovh.com/engine/api/dedicated/server/availabilities?country=we some weeks ago, and got tired of out of stock. Seem to be back these days.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited July 2018

@Jona4s said:
    Yeah I was querying ovh.com/engine/api/dedicated/server/availabilities?country=we some weeks ago, and got tired of out of stock. Seem to be back these days.

There is a 2tb in France available this moment

Edit: gone lol

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    @wokenwoll You took the time to post on my wall and I took the time to come here and outline what was needed. However, you never have replied to me and you seems to have completely ignored/glossed over my post (on purpose?). Why did you ask how you could help if you were not going to do anything at all? It isn't like you guys haven't continued to add stock and sell it all out, again and again, because of this thread where we explain how to make usable your poorly planned platform. You guys have made your profit margins on the service now, so can you please at least take the time to review and assist us with the kernel? The least you could do is give us directions for compilation and installation of the kernel you guys provided us source for.

It was pretty poor of you guys to provide pre-compiled kernels that you didn't test that perform poorly in your default templates, it is adding insult to injury the longer you delay helping us accomplish making a newer usable kernel that isn't trash. Continuing to punish your customers because someone failed to do their job in QA and then continuing to compound it by ignoring the requests of your customers for help to fix the issue is not the way to make your customers happy either!

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

I took time to read carefully your post and we requested actions internally with OVH_Matt, and wanted to come back with answers, not only with "we are on it" stuff.
    The thing is, it has not been checked since. I'm gonna push again and pray a bit, during summer that's gonna be though.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • I've finally stopped lurking...

A big thanks to @TheLinuxBug for continually pressing the poor situation with regards to the kernel and the need to update it. Hopefully, between @wokenwoll & @OVH_Matt we'll see some movement on this soon.
    Rather than mixing this in with the all the other stuff in this thread, a fresh new kernel one may be useful. ;)