Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

All of the ARM servers in France and Canada are now gone.

@OVH_Matt soooo.... any chance you can spare a few minutes now and get us some instructions on how to rebuild this kernel in a way that will work better with the platform? I mean, we sold out every server for you, least you could do is give us the tools to make it more usable?

Cheers!

• @OVH_Matt soooo.... any chance you can spare a few minutes now and get us some instructions on how to rebuild this kernel in a way that will work better with the platform? I mean, we sold out every server for you, least you could do is give us the tools to make it more usable?

Cheers!

+11111111111

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Oles said, that the stock on the cheap server is limited, not everyone will get one.
    So I would not expect to see them in stock as often you like.

• @TheLinuxBug I can't make any promises, but I'll ask to see if there are instructions to be found anywhere. This information will have to come from our Kernel guys, and I'm not sure they have guides available.

The reports of the driver issues have all been collected and I've already forwarded it on to our devs.

• NihimNihim Member

@OVH_Matt get some stock for us as well, cause this is ridiculous - unless we are still waiting for that laser to start spawning new servers

• Jona4sJona4s Member

Has anyone been able to boot any kernel below < 4.5?

There is a big performance gain from 4.4 kernels compared to 4.5-9 from the test I've made in ARM machines on other providers.

I tried Debian 8 and installing 3.16 from there, but I seem to be unable to boot anything other than 4.5.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2018

Jona4s said: in ARM machines on other providers.

Also with Marvell Armada370? Because otherwise that means nothing.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited July 2018

Yea, Marvell Armada 370/XP quad core.

4.9.93 kernel, ~12k r/s, 0% idle, -c500

4.4.127 kernel, ~22k r/s, 220% idle, -c500

Client and Server load are in different networks by ~8ms ping.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

OVH_Matt said: @TheLinuxBug I can't make any promises, but I'll ask to see if there are instructions to be found anywhere. This information will have to come from our Kernel guys, and I'm not sure they have guides available.

The reports of the driver issues have all been collected and I've already forwarded it on to our devs.

What does it take to get them to spend enough time to give us some documentation (something one could argue that they should have done in the first place..) a case of beer(soda)? 2 cases of beer (soda)? I am sure we could all pass around a hat and come up with enough to make it worth while... I mean... what is the motivator needed here? We already sold all the servers... what's the price now, our first born children? :)

Cheers!

• mkshmksh Member

@TheLinuxBug said:

OVH_Matt said: @TheLinuxBug I can't make any promises, but I'll ask to see if there are instructions to be found anywhere. This information will have to come from our Kernel guys, and I'm not sure they have guides available.

What does it take to get them to spend enough time to give us some documentation (something one could argue that they should have done in the first place..) a case of beer(soda)? 2 cases of beer (soda)? I am sure we could all pass around a hat and come up with enough to make it worth while... I mean... what is the motivator needed here? We already sold all the servers... what's the price now, our first born children? :)

Cheers!

What's the actual problem with the sources? Are they really unusable without instructions or just require some experience with building kernels?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@mksh said:

@TheLinuxBug said:

Cheers!

What's the actual problem with the sources? Are they really unusable without instructions or just require some experience with building kernels?

on arm it's not your usual building kernel stuff because of the missing grub implementation and the uImage stuff and all that. their sources at least have the configs that might be needed, so a plain compilation run from that might work, I still haven't tried yet.

by now I put some TB onto that box already and am not going to to mess around with it any further, so if anyone else wants to try and is looking for help, let me know I gladly share what I remember so far ;-)

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • huckenhucken Member

most of the new essentials were in stock today too, finally

• @hucken said:

still waiting on Canada, though. Sigh

• DetruireDetruire Member
    edited July 2018

Neoon said: Stock 2TB FR:

Gone already.

• @jaypeesmith said:

@hucken said:

I have canadian 2T, and I will not to renew it. Because peering to google drive is bad.

This is upload speed to google drive:

Uploading 100mb.test
    Uploaded 1ilH5QCK-sUI6BHIqf2kE4bfnCUf3RomJ at 2.2 MB/s, total 104.9 MB

real 0m46.981s
    user 0m43.400s
    sys 0m1.040s

This is google drive upload from my KImsufi RBX:

Uploading 100mb.test
    Uploaded 18ToVKjocJBhJg8c12wF2q3H-Mo5dVYHI at 6.2 MB/s, total 104.9 MB

real0m17.150s
    user0m12.656s
    sys0m1.300s

Could anybody who have FR (GRA or RBX) armbox post the upload result to google drive?

• jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited July 2018

@chocolateshirt said:

@jaypeesmith said:

@hucken said:

I have canadian 2T, and I will not to renew it. Because peering to google drive is bad.

Thanks. I was talking about the Essential servers. I have one of the ARM servers and I agree that it's not very good. Of course, I think that is because support told me that they weren't going to fix the poor networking issue. I was quite literally only using it for for a secondary backup. If they decide to actually work this issue, $5.99/month is would be a good value.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed. Works perfectly, no errors, and no stupid throttling.

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • @AC_Fan said:

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed. Works perfectly, no errors, and no stupid throttling.

I have followed falzo instruction, no issue with iperf, just 2 MB/s upload to google drive kinda slow compared to kimsufi atom upload speed

• @chocolateshirt said:
    I have followed falzo instruction, no issue with iperf, just 2 MB/s upload to google drive kinda slow compared to kimsufi atom upload speed

Me too, I have one in GRA and upload speed to Google maxout at 2.2MB/s

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Browser gives me 3 MBps, RClone mount gives 6.5 MBps and RClone copy gives 10 MBps.

• This is too embarrassing for a new thread, so sorry for being a bit off-topic, but:
    How on earth does one register at SoYouStart?

I tried to login with my OVH credentials, but they weren't accepted. I can login at ovh.com, and there they have a registration field right next to the login, as it should be. But I can ofc only order OVH products there.
    If I use the "forgot password" link, ANY email adress is accepted, and it says "You will receive an email. Follow the instructions and then click on "Log in"." But of course it never arrives, cause they don't have any of those adresses in their system.

I have searched everywhere (?) but can't find a link to register!
    Can anyone help? Maybe even with a pic, for dummies?
    Thank you, and please no jokes (there is one specific meme that would be appropriate here).

• NihimNihim Member

@that_guy said:
    This is too embarrassing for a new thread, so sorry for being a bit off-topic, but:
    How on earth does one register at SoYouStart?

I tried to login with my OVH credentials, but they weren't accepted. I can login at ovh.com, and there they have a registration field right next to the login, as it should be. But I can ofc only order OVH products there.
    If I use the "forgot password" link, ANY email adress is accepted, and it says "You will receive an email. Follow the instructions and then click on "Log in"." But of course it never arrives, cause they don't have any of those adresses in their system.

I have searched everywhere (?) but can't find a link to register!
    Can anyone help? Maybe even with a pic, for dummies?
    Thank you, and please no jokes (there is one specific meme that would be appropriate here).

go here click new customer and then don't pay?

or just do that for the dedi you want to order

SYS is less common then Kimsufi, the fuck.

• NihimNihim Member

@Neoon said:

is that discord or something? can you linku?

edited July 2018

@Nihim said:

@Neoon said:

is that discord or something? can you linku?

Yea Discord, you can find it on: https://metadedi.pw/

• Networks speed seems to be slow for me (arm-2t gra). download speed is less than 100mbps and upload is around 50mbps

• NihimNihim Member

did you try the steps mentioned in this thread? and I quote someone:

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed.

• @Nihim said:
    did you try the steps mentioned in this thread? and I quote someone:

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed.

no i didnt, i installed ubuntu 16.04, i'll give this a try, thanks