Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• @roshan91 said:

@Nihim said:
    did you try the steps mentioned in this thread? and I quote someone:

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed.

no i didnt, i installed ubuntu 16.04, i'll give this a try, thanks

Please let me know if this work for you

• NihimNihim Member

@mtsbatalha said:

just did it on a new 4T box, upload went from 50M to 250-300M (using specific speedtest servers for the comparison of before / after)

@falzo @TheLinuxBug @Neoon is it possible to put the netboot kernel on /boot (and back it up) in case they replace it?

also thx Neoon for the discord!

• roshan91roshan91 Member
    edited July 2018

@Nihim said:

@mtsbatalha said:

just did it on a new 4T box, upload went from 50M to 250-300M (using specific speedtest servers for the comparison of before / after)

@falzo @TheLinuxBug @Neoon is it possible to put the netboot kernel on /boot (and back it up) in case they replace it?

also thx Neoon for the discord!

can you tell me which file to delete exactly? this is what i have in /boot

System.map-4.9.58-armada375

uImage

config-4.9.58-armada375

uImage-4.9.58-armada375

• NihimNihim Member

I wasn't sure so I just backed them all and emptied the folder. I am guessing uImage* should suffice.

• roshan91roshan91 Member
    edited July 2018

@Nihim said:
    I wasn't sure so I just backed them all and emptied the folder. I am guessing uImage* should suffice.

haha i did the same

@mtsbatalha said:
    Please let me know if this work for you

before

after

• NihimNihim Member

just don't abuse the >250Mbit cause it's not nice & you 'll get hard limited

• Hello,

About Stock on SyS, we are improving the delivery and we will continue during the next weeks. Sorry for the low stock the last weeks !

Also, we will soon (ETA week 32/33) provide SyS servers on other locations :

• Poland (WAW) : intel1520/32GB/4*2TB (price unveiled the d-day)
    • Germany (LIM) : intel1520/32GB/4*2TB (price unveiled the d-day)
    • UK (ERI) : to define, and will be later (september)

Also in case it might interest you :

• We just prodded our OVH STORAGE range in all new DC except APAC
    • We will soon lower the price of OVH EG-16 (-10€) and SSD at the same price than SATA for a limited quantity. It's not the same uses cases (private network 1Gbps and 500Mbps public), but at least you know :) ETA this week or next Week.

About issues with our ARM and Kernels, if someone can tl;dr please do :) not sure I can help but at least i'll raise the issue internally.

Last but not least, GAME servers hasn't very much on OVH and SyS, if you are interested to discuss about it create a new topic or DM me.
    We do not plan to provide preinstalled games nor licences but we can review our cpu/ram/disk/network ratios if needed for some legit uses cases (games or not).
    and if you need something else (hourly payment etc) let's discuss it too ! Thx.

• torrboxtorrbox Member
    edited July 2018

I didn't do anything to my 2TB storage box (Canada) and get 500/500 with speedtest-cli (speedtest server is also hosted by OVH)

• NihimNihim Member

@torrbox said:
    I didn't do anything to my 2TB storage box (Canada) and get 500/500 with speedtest-cli (speedtest server is also hosted by OVH)

it might be just that but what's your kernel version? CF block youname command :p

• torrboxtorrbox Member
    edited July 2018

Nihim said: it might be just that but what's your kernel version? CF block youname command :p

Never mind. I "forgot" that I upgraded Ubuntu (I use scripts).

I peaked 160 mbps in transmission by setting it to prefer unencrypted connections. Encrypted it's more like 50 mbps. Is there a torrent client that can enforce unencrypted connections? edit: rtorrent@ 400 mbps

Seems like a decent value server if you can keep it as cpu-friendly as possible.

• @torrbox said:

Nihim said: it might be just that but what's your kernel version? CF block youname command :p

I peaked 160 mbps in transmission by setting it to prefer unencrypted connections. Encrypted it's more like 50 mbps. Is there a torrent client that can enforce unencrypted connections?

Seems like a decent value server if you can keep it as cpu-friendly as possible.

if that is 160mbits it's quite slow. was able to hit 45mbyte/s ~ 400mbits/s down with deluge and ltconfig. might wanna try it.

• @mosan7763 said:

@torrbox said:

I peaked 160 mbps in transmission by setting it to prefer unencrypted connections. Encrypted it's more like 50 mbps. Is there a torrent client that can enforce unencrypted connections?

if that is 160mbits it's quite slow. was able to hit 45mbyte/s ~ 400mbits/s down with deluge and ltconfig. might wanna try it.

Deluge on this Arm server? CPU too slow, should it crashed it.

• @mtsbatalha said:

@mosan7763 said:

@torrbox said:

Deluge on this Arm server? CPU too slow, should it crashed it.

nah, it's slow at times but if you keep the torrent count low it works ok.

• @wokenwoll said:
    Hello,

About Stock on SyS, we are improving the delivery and we will continue during the next weeks. Sorry for the low stock the last weeks !

Any idea about how many weeks for Canada? I am trying to decide on you or a new provider and wanted to get an idea of about how long.

• @jaypeesmith said:

@wokenwoll said:
    Hello,

Any idea about how many weeks for Canada? I am trying to decide on you or a new provider and wanted to get an idea of about how long.

Which reference ?

• Anyone got success enabling quota modules on SYS ARM servers?

• fvsantosfvsantos Member
    edited July 2018

@OVH_Matt @wokenwoll I got a network problem with SYS Essential servers. Two ranges (192.95.29.x and192.95.30.x) have low bandwidth from OVH Canada to OVH France. Asked the support but they say that is all ok. I have servers in other IP ranges and they reach 250Mbps to OVH France, but these two ranges does not. Please look at this:

iperf -c iperf.ovh.net -i 1

Client connecting to iperf.ovh.net, TCP port 5001

TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)

[ 3] local 192.95.30.173 port 51582 connected with 188.165.12.136 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0- 1.0 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.4 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 1.0- 2.0 sec 15.0 MBytes 126 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 2.0- 3.0 sec 15.0 MBytes 126 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 3.0- 4.0 sec 16.4 MBytes 137 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 4.0- 5.0 sec 17.9 MBytes 150 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 5.0- 6.0 sec 17.8 MBytes 149 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 6.0- 7.0 sec 19.1 MBytes 160 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 7.0- 8.0 sec 17.9 MBytes 150 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 8.0- 9.0 sec 20.5 MBytes 172 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 9.0-10.0 sec 19.1 MBytes 160 Mbits/sec
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 170 MBytes 142 Mbits/sec

wget http://proof.ovh.net/files/10Gb.dat
    --2018-07-03 12:27:46-- http://proof.ovh.net/files/10Gb.dat
    A resolver proof.ovh.net (proof.ovh.net)...2001:41d0:2:876a::1, 188.165.12.106
    A conectar proof.ovh.net (proof.ovh.net)2001:41d0:2:876a::1:80... conectado.
    Pedido HTTP enviado, a aguardar resposta...200 OK
    Tamanho: 1250000000 (1,2G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘10Gb.dat’
    10Gb.dat 100%[===================>] 1,16G 2,51MB/s in 5m 21s
    2018-07-03 12:33:07 (3,72 MB/s) - ‘10Gb.dat’ saved [1250000000/1250000000]

Both tested in debian fresh install and rescue mode.

But when i test in OVH Canada, they perform amazing:

wget http://proof.ovh.ca/files/10Gio.dat
    --2018-07-04 06:51:58-- http://proof.ovh.ca/files/10Gio.dat
    Resolving proof.ovh.ca (proof.ovh.ca)... 192.99.19.165
    Connecting to proof.ovh.ca (proof.ovh.ca)192.99.19.165:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 10737418240 (10G) [application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig]

Saving to: ‘10Gio.dat’ 10Gio.dat 28%[=====> ] 2.84G 106MB/s eta 70s

The problem is not just iperf or wget to OVH France. In general that two ranges perform much worse than other ranges i have.

• @wokenwoll said:

@jaypeesmith said:

@wokenwoll said:
    Hello,

Which reference ?

Sorry about that. I was interested in either the new E5-SAT-1-64 or the new E5-SAT-2-64.

• I know there is a "fix" for the debian distro on SyS ARM servers. Did anyone get anywhere with a similar solution for ubuntu or is it impossible?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2018

So, apparently you can order ARM in CA on with $ but not with €:

https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/server-storage/ does not work.

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/ does work.

Well, the API says stock unknown, so I guess they will refund the orders but no idea.

No idea what fucked up at SYS.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@michaels said:
    I know there is a "fix" for the debian distro on SyS ARM servers. Did anyone get anywhere with a similar solution for ubuntu or is it impossible?

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed. Works perfectly, no errors, and no stupid throttling.

Quoting myself, but this should work with Ubuntu too. I just find Debian much better (in Server edition ofc, Linux Mint for normal usage).

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @AC_Fan said:

@michaels said:
    I know there is a "fix" for the debian distro on SyS ARM servers. Did anyone get anywhere with a similar solution for ubuntu or is it impossible?

Just install Debian 9 with distribution kernel and delete the uBoot armada file in /boot immediately after SSHing into the server. Reboot and then setup as needed. Works perfectly, no errors, and no stupid throttling.

Quoting myself, but this should work with Ubuntu too. I just find Debian much better (in Server edition ofc, Linux Mint for normal usage).
    @AC_Fan said:

@michaels said:

i got this files in /boot on debian

root@ns557736:/boot# ls

System.map-4.9.58-armada375 uImage
    config-4.9.58-armada375 uImage-4.9.58-armada375

Which one should I delete?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@Element said:

@AC_Fan said:

@michaels said:

@AC_Fan said:

@michaels said:

i got this files in /boot on debian

root@ns557736:/boot# ls

System.map-4.9.58-armada375 uImage
    config-4.9.58-armada375 uImage-4.9.58-armada375

Which one should I delete?

uImage-4.9.58-armada375

Thanked by 2Element that_guy
  • Thanks @AC_Fan

Any successful installation of Nextcloud?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@Element said:
    Thanks @AC_Fan

Sorry, I don't use NextCloud.

• @Element said:
    Thanks @AC_Fan

Yes. Working perfectly fine on my sys arm. Only 5 users, mainly for syncing. Performs well enough for personal use at least.

Thanked by 2Element MGarbis
  • @Neoon said:
    So, apparently you can order ARM in CA on with $ but not with €:

https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/server-storage/ does not work.

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/ does work.

Well, the API says stock unknown, so I guess they will refund the orders but no idea.

No idea what fucked up at SYS.

No stock on my side on both cases. looks like it was a refresh issue on the website (on our API)

• Hello,

Since we have a lot of requests for our new references, when we know that we will connect new hosts in the next 10 days, we now allow "waiting lists".

It's prodded on 2 refs (E3-SAT-1-16 and E3-SAT-1-32), that's why you will see 10Days icon.
    More refs will follow on SyS.

Of course, the "start time" of the service is the delivery date, not the order date.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • @wokenwoll said:

Any idea on when you will roll out E5-SAT-1-64 or the new E5-SAT-2-64 in Canada?

Thanked by 1YorkiS
  • @michaels said:

@wlambrechts said:

@contactwajeeh said:
    Can we do something similar on Ubuntu, to fix the upload speeds?

Yes, same mechanisme as for Debian. The upload limit is lifted, but I do get some error while running an apt-get update (on initramfs). Not sure which image I need to install.

Did you manage to resolve this? I get the error on initramfs too:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.122ubuntu8) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-21-generic
    Unsupported platform.
    run-parts: /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
    dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    initramfs-tools
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    W: Operation was interrupted before it could finish

I am guessing it is related to the unsupported platform error :/

You can solve this issue with these commands:

sudo rm -f /var/lib/dpkg/info/initramfs-tools.post*

sudo rm -f /var/lib/dpkg/info/initramfs-tools.pre*

sudo rm -f /var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.post*

sudo rm -f /var/lib/dpkg/info/bcmwl-kernel-source.pre*

sudo dpkg --configure -a

After run again:

sudo apt install linux-image-4.4.0-21-generic linux-headers-generic

Info post: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1990236

Thanked by 1YorkiS