Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• @wokenwoll I saw you posted on my wall -- I just haven't had time to reply -- The bottom line is support has provided the kernel source (mentioned earlier in this thread) but there are no instructions on how to build the kernel for the platform. It looks to require uImage but even building just a uImage and placing it in /boot doesn't seem to be enough. Depending on the uboot version you are using and what settings you have set it may be necessary to pass the load address to the uImage build process for it to boot correctly ( if so, we need this address ). Basically, we are just looking for a breakdown of how to build a kernel that doesn't have crippled network drivers and put it into place and boot from it. The hardest part is that there is no console for the server so if you mess up, the server just doesn't come back -- so it isn't very practical to keep building kernels to test and then have to rebuild the whole server, re-download the kernel and rebuild it all again. With good directions, we should at least be able to cut down the failure rate to something reasonable and come up with a usable kernel outside the 4.5.2 default we have been forced to use so far.

Thanks for your time and assistance on this journey to make the SYS ARM servers great again!

Cheers!

• @wokenwoll said:
    Hello,

Since we have a lot of requests for our new references, when we know that we will connect new hosts in the next 10 days, we now allow "waiting lists".

It's prodded on 2 refs (E3-SAT-1-16 and E3-SAT-1-32), that's why you will see 10Days icon.
    More refs will follow on SyS.

Of course, the "start time" of the service is the delivery date, not the order date.

I didn't know there was a waiting list for sys. How do I sign up?

• @Perzcivil said:

@wokenwoll said:
    Hello,

Since we have a lot of requests for our new references, when we know that we will connect new hosts in the next 10 days, we now allow "waiting lists".

It's prodded on 2 refs (E3-SAT-1-16 and E3-SAT-1-32), that's why you will see 10Days icon.

Of course, the "start time" of the service is the delivery date, not the order date.

You just buy like today. waiting list are automatically activated when you have an icon "10Days" instead of "120seconds". you will be automatically inside a queue for being delivered.
    If fact it's more or less a "delivery time" extended to 10d.

For Availabilities in CA let me check today with our supply team.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@TheLinuxBug said:
    It looks to require uImage but even building just a uImage and placing it in /boot doesn't seem to be enough. Depending on the uboot version you are using and what settings you have set it may be necessary to pass the load address to the uImage build process for it to boot correctly ( if so, we need this address ).

at least I can help with that, you can get the address by inspecting the running Image in /boot via:

# mkimage -l uImage-4.9.58-armada375
    Image Name:   Linux-4.9.58-armada375
    Created:      Thu Nov  2 14:50:19 2017
    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
    Data Size:    4759817 Bytes = 4648.26 kB = 4.54 MB
    Load Address: 00008000
    Entry Point:  00008000

The hardest part is that there is no console for the server so if you mess up, the server just doesn't come back -- so it isn't very practical to keep building kernels to test and then have to rebuild the whole server, re-download the kernel and rebuild it all again.

this nails it, doing a reinstall on every failed try and starting from scratch is time consuming as hell...

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • PerzcivilPerzcivil Member
    edited July 2018

@wokenwoll said:

@Perzcivil said:

@wokenwoll said:
    Hello,

You just buy like today. waiting list are automatically activated when you have an icon "10Days" instead of "120seconds". you will be automatically inside a queue for being delivered.
    If fact it's more or less a "delivery time" extended to 10d.

For Availabilities in CA let me check today with our supply team.

I just signed up for one of bhs/ca 10 days server. If you don't mind letting me know how long I have to wait? hopefully not full 10 days :).

• PerzcivilPerzcivil Member
    edited July 2018

I just signed up for one of bhs/ca 10 days server. If you don't mind letting me know how long I have to wait? hopefully not full 10 days :).
    oops double post

• jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited July 2018

Just a heads-up on the new configs.

It looks like they have not really modified their templates to account for the addition of the new disks. For example, the Proxmox 5 ZFS install still only installs on 2 disks, as opposed to all 4.

I put in a ticket with support but, in the meantime, I'll be researching on how to get the other two into the array (never did this for Proxmox before).

This is sad because, with KVM access, the ISO installer would knock this out in no time.

• fvsantosfvsantos Member
    edited July 2018

So the setup fees are really back? What about the price drop from OP?

• @fvsantos said:
    So the setup fees are really back?

ARM servers too?

• @mtsbatalha said:

@fvsantos said:
    So the setup fees are really back?

ARM servers too?

Essential and Game servers

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited July 2018

@fvsantos said:

I think a couple of configs saw price drops. They rolled out some new options so, you can't really compare. However, the return of setup fees threw some cold water on the excitement.

• @jaypeesmith said:

@fvsantos said:

I think a couple of configs saw price drops. They rolled out some new options so, you can't really compare. However, the return of setup fees threw some cold water on the excitement.

I know that there are new configs, but the OP mentioned same configs -> lower prices. That did'nt happen yet. :(

• @fvsantos said:

@jaypeesmith said:

@fvsantos said:

I know that there are new configs, but the OP mentioned same configs -> lower prices. That did'nt happen yet. :(

No disagreement here. In the long term, I am not sure if I'll keep the server I ordered.

• RizRiz Member

@wokenwoll website, and order form show $0 setup, but when the invoice is generated, there is a $60 setup fee. What's the deal?

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Riz said:
    @wokenwoll website, and order form show $0 setup, but when the invoice is generated, there is a $60 setup fee. What's the deal?

The setup fee is correct, they brought it back after lowering the monthly price by $5~. Setup fee for game servers seem to be all $24, setup fee for the normal servers is $60.

• @Riz said:

Setup fees are correct, bug on the webpages. fixing it.

• @wokenwoll said:

@Riz said:

Setup fees are correct, bug on the webpages. fixing it.

Any idea why support take so long to reply to any ticket? Not even to sales question?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

"SoYouStart #SYS went "Open Order": if the stock is 0, we continue to take orders and we adjust the production to deliver all these orders in 10-14J. The goal is to adjust the offer faster on demand :)"

• Can I install windows server 2012 on ARM server?
    And Anybody know what is rescue live OSs?(Have ubuntu?)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@robinex said:
    Can I install windows server 2012 on ARM server?

I think the rescue is debian, can't remember.

Thanked by 1robinex
  • michaelsmichaels Member
    edited July 2018

@robinex said:

No there is no arm build of Windows server, the only arm build of windows is Windows 10 IOT.

Thanked by 1robinex
  • @MikeA said:

@robinex said:

I think the rescue is debian, can't remember.

thanks for reply. debian centos or ubuntu enought for qemu install.

@michaels said:

@robinex said:

No there is no arm build of Windows server, the only arm build of windows is Windows 10 IOT.

hmm. thanks for reply. If I caught stock, I will try. and write here result.

Anybody know arm storage server abaible raid 0?
    and Know I use oneprovider.com but I am afraid they will down my port speed to 100 mbit. Do you know Soyoustart down port speed if we use more banwith?(example 30 TB)

• hmm. thanks for reply. If I caught stock, I will try. and write here result.

Try what? It's a totally different processor architecture. As far as I am aware the ARM servers are SoC servers so it would need to be compiled for that chip. Which it isn't

• FredQcFredQc Member

Order form shows $0 setup fees but invoice shows otherwise...

• @michaels said:

hmm. thanks for reply. If I caught stock, I will try. and write here result.

Try what? It's a totally different processor architecture. As far as I am aware the ARM servers are SoC servers so it would need to be compiled for that chip. Which it isn't

I will try install windows 10 IOT arm version.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

robinex said: I will try install windows 10 IOT arm version.

You obviously didn't Google to find out what it is or you wouldn't be saying that.

Windows 10 IoT Core is not a regular Windows operating system, it is more so usable to be able to remotely execute certain single programs on the device that fit the architecture. Microsoft's official site for it is here.

TL;DR;

No, you won't be running Windows 10 IoT Core for most use cases you can think of, it is not a full operating system like you are thinking.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1robinex
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2018

Yes you can try Windows 10 IOT ARM version however there's not much software that runs on ARM. Basically, more than 99% of your daily software does not run on ARM.

Some UWP software can run on ARM, such as the weather app, or the music player, if that's what you want on an ARM server.

Also you need to find a way to turn on remote access, as the rdp (AFAIK) only comes with a desktop version. Good luck.

Thanked by 1robinex
  • robinexrobinex Member
    edited July 2018

@TheLinuxBug said:

robinex said: I will try install windows 10 IOT arm version.

You obviously didn't Google to find out what it is or you wouldn't be saying that.

Windows 10 IoT Core is not a regular Windows operating system, it is more so usable to be able to remotely execute certain single programs on the device that fit the architecture. Microsoft's official site for it is here.

TL;DR;

No, you won't be running Windows 10 IoT Core for most use cases you can think of, it is not a full operating system like you are thinking.

Cheers!

@msg7086 said:
    Yes you can try Windows 10 IOT ARM version however there's not much software that runs on ARM. Basically, more than 99% of your daily software does not run on ARM.

Some UWP software can run on ARM, such as the weather app, or the music player, if that's what you want on an ARM server.

Also you need to find a way to turn on remote access, as the rdp (AFAIK) only comes with a desktop version. Good luck.

Thanks for this information. You save my money.

• michaelsmichaels Member
    edited July 2018

UWP apps will not run on IoT, it is setup like a "core" install. i.e. console only. You would be able to RDP into it, but it wouldn't serve any purpose. I am not sure what is meant by desktop RDP, but RDP is standard across the Windows portfolio for administration.

• @michaels said:
    UWP apps will not run on IoT, it is setup like a "core" install. i.e. console only. You would be able to RDP into it, but it wouldn't serve any purpose. I am not sure what is meant by desktop RDP, but RDP is standard across the Windows portfolio for administration.

A quick google shows the opposite, but I never had a chance to try those stuff so frankly I have no clue. Thanks for clarification.