Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introducing metaDedi - Dedicated comparison table - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Introducing metaDedi - Dedicated comparison table

Comments

• Yes I'll have to freely admit, I see your comments on threads and I just think 'bad attitude', so here we are.

Your home page is indexed but that doesn't mean anything, your content isn't crawlable. Think about it laddie, if the search engine can't see the content of your site, then the people searching aren't going to find the page.

The guy that stole your content a few weeks back had the right idea, you're doing it wrong. Excuse me for taking 2 minutes to give you advice, your attitude is terrible.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2018

@ricardo said:
    Yes I'll have to freely admit, I see your comments on threads and I just think 'bad attitude', so here we are.

Your home page is indexed but that doesn't mean anything, your content isn't crawlable. Think about it laddie, if the search engine can't see the content of your site, then the people searching aren't going to find the page.

The guy that stole your content a few weeks back had the right idea, you're doing it wrong. Excuse me for taking 2 minutes to give you advice, your attitude is terrible.

I told you even, that I do not care about it, yet.
    So you come up again and tell me, I have a bad attitude, just because I do not share your opinion, does not mean I have a bad attitude.

Just go and fix the OCD, the time I wasted, I could spend it on hookers.

• Thanks for sharing your feelings on what you care and don't care about.

I was talking about your website, initially.

Kids today, so misguided.

• There should be a question 'Where are you from?' and the answer should set the currency sign to the preferred side. But is it really worth of it? There are many countries where the sign is after amount... Despite that everybody understands both ways. Amazing how important this is for so many people. (I think this was already discussed at least once.)
    I like the way it's now. :smiley:

• @Neoon said: @ricardo said:
    Just skimmed, @Neoon iirc you use datatables, dunno if you prefer to put the currency sign after values or you're doing that as a hack for ordering/searching, there are options in datatables to use a data- attribute for those purposes, allowing you to display stuff as you please.

But why? just why? I mean if the currency sign is left or right, who gives a fuck?

@Neoon, even if you don't care, you should be aware that "who gives a fuck?" is a very negative way to react to a constructive comment. It makes a bad impression. @ricardo made a constructive comment. You don't need to do what he suggests, or you can say that it's low priority, but to react with "who gives a fuck?" gives a bad impression of you.

Again, maybe you don't care about what impression you make, but you should be aware that you make a bad impression when you react in this way.

• @Neoon said: if someone cares if we have this feature, they may reply.

My modest suggestion would be to forget currency symbols such as $, €, etc. altogether, and to use the standard currency codes instead (USD, EUR, etc.). The currency codes could then all be on the right side of the amount, e.g., 5.50 USD, with an intervening space between the amount and the currency code.

Thanked by 3iKeyZ quicksilver03 mfs
  • @angstrom said:

@Neoon said: if someone cares if we have this feature, they may reply.

My modest suggestion would be to forget currency symbols such as $, €, etc. altogether, and to use the standard currency codes instead (USD, EUR, etc.). The currency codes could then all be on the right side of the amount, e.g., 5.50 USD, with an intervening space between the amount and the currency code.

The above idea would work better than "6.19£" for example. I've never seen the pound sign put there.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited November 2018

ricardo said: Uppity millenial, I see your comments on threads and I just think 'bad attitude', so here we are.

I'm a mildly old fart as you and I think you've misunderstood Neoon's tone. That self-righteous teaching tone of yours is way more irritating. Never take anything written on internet that personal, even more if it's an idiomatic "but who gives a fuck" from some non English-speaker and clearly not directed to attack your persona. The same thing you proposed was asked by someone else few posts before, with drama and ragequits as well, so the "who gives a fuck" is pretty much understandable. At least he's genuine: pretending to "steal" content freely available via API and to give unwarranted SEO lessons is my definition of "arrogant". It's true he could improve his English a bit, but who gives a fuck after all

Insofar Neoon is doing an amazing work, for free (runs on donations afaik) and without hidden shills or ads. I can't say I see that so often

angstrom said: USD, EUR

I'd probably prefer to see a three-letter code rather than some currency symbols; IIRC a "$" symbol popping up on leaseweb was discussed a while back, it wasn't USD but SGD and it wasn't immediately distinguishable (it actually was "S$" which is correct but could be overlooked)

Neoon said:

@willie said:
    The country search field doesn't seem to work. Typing "US" finds mostly EU servers. Typing "IT" finds mostly
    US servers but some other ones too (didn't notice any Italian ones).
    Added: Oh ok I get it, have to search for full strings like "states" ("united" gets united kingdom first). Supporting abbreviations would be helpful.

Fixed, change the search pattern.

IT finds Italian servers, but US finds no servers (I have to write "United...."); "uk" shows Ukraine, UA shows none; "United_Kingdom" matches UK but "United Kingdom" or "Great Britain" matches nothing. I'd match (or prioritize) ISO country codes maybe

• @mfs said: IIRC a "$" symbol popping up on leaseweb was discussed a while back, it wasn't USD but SGD and it wasn't immediately distinguishable (it actually was "S$" which is correct but could be overlooked)

Yeah, that's another potential issue with currency symbols: that they're not necessarily all unique.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2018

@mfs said: ricardo said: Uppity millenial, I see your comments on threads and I just think 'bad attitude', so here we are.

I'm a mildly old fart as you and I think you've misunderstood Neoon's tone. That self-righteous teaching tone of yours is way more irritating.

Well, that came later, in the further escalation of the original exchange. In his initial comment, @ricardo simply made a constructive suggestion.

mfs said: Never take anything written on internet that personal, even more if it's an idiomatic "but who gives a fuck" from some non English-speaker and clearly not directed to attack your persona.

You (= mfs) may have this attitude, but this doesn't mean that everyone has this attitude. The internet and not being native in English aren't excuses for uncivility.

Thanked by 3mfs iKeyZ BeardyUnixGuy
  • I think you should make the price slider logarithmic instead of linear. 1€ and 2€ are totally different, while 180€ and 181€ are the same.

Example 15: http://seiyria.com/bootstrap-slider/

Thanked by 2angstrom Daniel15
  • I'm a mildly old fart as you and I think you've misunderstood Neoon's tone. That self-righteous teaching tone of yours is way more irritating. Never take anything written on internet that personal, even more if it's an idiomatic "but who gives a fuck" from some non English-speaker and clearly not directed to attack your persona.

I like people to have a basic level of respect, Internet or not. Angstrom pretty much said what I think. If you think that's self righteous, it's probably because it is.

No big deal to me either way, I wouldn't use his product.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited November 2018

angstrom said: The internet and not being native in English aren't excuses for uncivility.

Absolutely, I just don't think here he has been a dick to begin with and in the "further escalation" he also detailed he's open to suggestions and to hear from others if that is perceived as such a serious issue. That same suggestion was already proposed and it unnecessarily escalated to an unnecessarily unpleasant outcome, if you read page 5 from the start

angstrom said: this doesn't mean that everyone has this attitude.

Oh, if people didn't constantly take shit said on the Internet on a personal level we could save quite a bit of time, and computational resources too insert smiling emoji to actually display the tone of the phrase

edfox said: 1€ and 2€ are totally different, while 180€ and 181€ are the same.

not really, at least on desktop. I'd prefer rounded increments on all the sliders (no 4.3€ and no 13.2 GB RAM) or something like that "Example 14" on the page you propose (tick marks), but to me it's just a minor usability issue tbh

• @mfs said: angstrom said: The internet and not being native in English aren't excuses for uncivility.

Absolutely, I just don't think here he has been a dick to being with and in the "further escalation" he also detailed he's open to suggestions and to hear from others if that is perceived as such a serious issue.

Well, this isn't the first time that @Neoon has acted brusquely/rudely. Again, you (= mfs) may not perceive him as acting brusquely/rudely, but there are others that do.

For me, @Neoon is kind of a puzzle. On the one hand, his novaDedi is a very useful tool, and it's nice of him to contribute and develop it. On the other hand, when he acts brusquely/rudely (not infrequently), he doesn't seem like a nice person. Perhaps, in reality, he's a nice person, but on the internet, he acts differently, or perhaps he's not a nice person to begin with. I can't decide.

In any case, civility is important unless one doesn't care about the impression that one makes.

Thanked by 3mfs iKeyZ eol
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

My Godfather has spoken.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

@MGarbis said:
    There should be a question 'Where are you from?' and the answer should set the currency sign to the preferred side. But is it really worth of it? There are many countries where the sign is after amount... Despite that everybody understands both ways. Amazing how important this is for so many people. (I think this was already discussed at least once.)

Sounds to me, kinda annoying, everytime you open the page, it asks you where are you from. Keep in mind, that we do not have any cookies or tracking.

What I could do, is based on the language you surf on e.g https://se.novadedi.net/ switch to the currency by default.

@angstrom said:
    @Neoon, even if you don't care, you should be aware that "who gives a fuck?" is a very negative way to react to a constructive comment. It makes a bad impression. @ricardo made a constructive comment. You don't need to do what he suggests, or you can say that it's low priority, but to react with "who gives a fuck?" gives a bad impression of you.

Again, maybe you don't care about what impression you make, but you should be aware that you make a bad impression when you react in this way.

I am aware that some people, may get triggered by "who gives a fuck".
    But keep in mind, that at no point, my goal was to insult or trigger him.

I have no reason to attack him, on that feedback.

@angstrom said:

Sounds fine to me, I added it https://status.novadedi.net/view.php?id=15

@mfs said:
    IT finds Italian servers, but US finds no servers (I have to write "United...."); "uk" shows Ukraine, UA shows none; "United_Kingdom" matches UK but "United Kingdom" or "Great Britain" matches nothing. I'd match (or prioritize) ISO country codes maybe

Because, the Database does contain the Country names not the Codes.
    But sounds like a feature that should be added, https://status.novadedi.net/view.php?id=16

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @Neoon said:

@MGarbis said:
    There should be a question 'Where are you from?' and the answer should set the currency sign to the preferred side. But is it really worth of it? There are many countries where the sign is after amount... Despite that everybody understands both ways. Amazing how important this is for so many people. (I think this was already discussed at least once.)

Sounds to me, kinda annoying, everytime you open the page, it asks you where are you from. Keep in mind, that we do not have any cookies or tracking.

What I could do, is based on the language you surf on e.g https://se.novadedi.net/ switch to the currency by default.

Yes, I bet it's annoying, but is it less annoying than currency unit on the wrong side? :wink:
    Anyway, your idea sounds better. To mee it's ok how it is now.

edited November 2018

Personally, I prefer the three letters of currencies over the symbols.

Ex. 666 USD, 666 EURO, 666 YEN, 666 NIGH.

P.S. NIGH is the currency of the Hell.

@edfox said:
    I think you should make the price slider logarithmic instead of linear. 1€ and 2€ are totally different, while 180€ and 181€ are the same.

Example 15: http://seiyria.com/bootstrap-slider/

I added it, but no guarantee that it will be implemented.
    https://status.novadedi.net/view.php?id=17

@mfs said:
    Absolutely, I just don't think here he has been a dick to begin with and in the "further escalation" he also detailed he's open to suggestions and to hear from others if that is perceived as such a serious issue. That same suggestion was already proposed and it unnecessarily escalated to an unnecessarily unpleasant outcome, if you read page 5 from the start

Well, to be fair, the guy was already unwanted by LET, he left a few days afterwards.

@angstrom said:
    For me, @Neoon is kind of a puzzle. On the one hand, his novaDedi is a very useful tool, and it's nice of him to contribute and develop it. On the other hand, when he acts brusquely/rudely (not infrequently), he doesn't seem like a nice person. Perhaps, in reality, he's a nice person, but on the internet, he acts differently, or perhaps he's not a nice person to begin with. I can't decide.

In any case, civility is important unless one doesn't care about the impression that one makes.

I do care, but if I would care about everything, that gets me insane.
    Its always a balance, between ignoring some people while some should not be ignored.

If someone is sensitive about some stuff, its likely that I wont take it seriously.
    Everyone has different levels of what he thinks is nice and what its not.

It was not my goal to insult him.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • @Neoon said: I am aware that some people, may get triggered by "who gives a fuck".
    But keep in mind, that at no point, my goal was to insult or trigger him.

I have no reason to attack him, on that feedback.

I can imagine that this was not your goal.

The point to bear in mind is that in general, others can't read our intentions. Even with close friends and in person, it can be hard to read the other person's intentions, but with unknown people on the internet, it's even more so.

Dude, no one says "I don't give a fuck" and not mean to insult.

It's not even common sense. It's basic sense.

Thanked by 2ricardo TimboJones
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

angstrom said: unless one doesn't care about the impression that one makes.

angstrom said:(L. Torvalds)

Well, not even Torvalds is free to be careless about the impression he makes nowadays

oh yeah, just imagine deank handling PR. "Thank you for the suggestion, and remember: the end is nigh!"
    "Well, we've considered to implement this feature, but the end is nigh! So there's not enough time to work on that" "Thanks for the tip, and remember: we're all gonna die soon (hopefully)!"

deank said: Dude, no one says "I don't give a fuck" and not mean to insult.

the actual phrase was "I mean if the currency sign is left or right, who gives a fuck?" which is a bit different from "I don't give a fuck". Millennial speak, maybe. Unfortunate, probably. Something he should be crucified upon given the actual further replies and the general attitude (on both sides): no.

So, in the end, it all comes down to millennials.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2018

mfs said: urther replies and the general attitude (on both sides): no.

Hey now, no smoke without fire. btw I was rude deliberately. Anyways, yeah. I just offered some free advice which I think was responded to rudely, so I responded rudely in kind. That's about the sum length of it for me.

In the era of millennials, fire comes before smoke.

• @mfs said: angstrom said: unless one doesn't care about the impression that one makes.

angstrom said:(L. Torvalds)

Well, not even Torvalds is free to be careless about the impression he makes nowadays

Since you bring it up, indeed, not even Torvalds, and rightly so! He got away with his rude behavior for way too long, and it was good/right that he was finally called out for it.

This said, I do like some of his quotes -- not everything he said was rude.

@angstrom said:
    I can imagine that this was not your goal.

The point to bear in mind is that in general, others can't read our intentions. Even with close friends and in person, it can be hard to read the other person's intentions, but with unknown people on the internet, it's even more so.

Well, the context was clear from my view, it was not just the f word.
    But, I keep it in mind.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @angstrom said:

Who gives a sh^h^h^h cares?

edited November 2018

Yeah, he doesn't give fu. I don't give fu. You don't give fu. That guy doesn't give fu.

Poo everywhere.

Thanked by 1angstrom