Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vpsRus dropping all VPS/NATVPS, Gullo's refuge offer - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vpsRus dropping all VPS/NATVPS, Gullo's refuge offer

124»

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Shazan said: Generation X, of course. I was already an adult when most of millennials were born :p

I guess that makes you around 50? Do you even know how to use the inter-webs? XD

I'm kidding of course. My father is part of the 'baby boomer' generation, and he's a software developer. But there is a very distinct and noticeable difference in the approach towards building software between the generations. It's actually quite interesting... Though I don't know anyone in who is over 65 who knows anything about computers what so ever.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@randvegeta said:
    Though I don't know anyone in who is over 65 who knows anything about computers what so ever.

Steve Wozniak

Thanked by 3vimalware imok Falzo

mikho said: Steve Wozniak

That's true :-). But I also don't know him ;)

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@randvegeta said:
    I guess that makes you around 50?

Almost... 44

Shazan said: I was already an adult when most of millennials were born :p

Shazan said: Almost... 44

Meh. You're on the younger end of the Gen X cohort then. I reckon 1990 is the midway point for millenials, which would have made you 16. I suppose you could call that an 'adult'. Close enough to 18 any way. Though these days I hardly even consider 18 - 21 yr olds adults... Society seems to want to drag out adolescence as long as possible. Plenty of 30 yr olds still act like Uni students.... but I digress.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

randvegeta said: But there is a very distinct and noticeable difference in the approach towards building software between the generations.

My guess is 'engineering approach' vs. 'artistic approach'?

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • LeeLee Veteran

Clouvider said: I think it's enough after they conceded to do the right thing?

Conceding under pressure, take from that what you want.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • donlidonli Member

@joepie91 said:

randvegeta said: But there is a very distinct and noticeable difference in the approach towards building software between the generations.

My guess is the scarcity of memory and cpu power approach vs excess of memory and cpu power approach.

edited May 2018

@donli said:

@joepie91 said:

My guess is the scarcity of memory and cpu power approach vs excess of memory and cpu power approach.

I think both are true.

Thanked by 2FrankZ mksh
  • @Shazan said:

I think both are true.

Ditto. I have high regards to the older generations of programmer/computer scientists who started/had training with punch cards who mentally had to "run" their programs and make sure they've got the right algorithm, otherwise they'll need to punch those cards once again, lol

Thanked by 1Shazan

Lee said: Conceding under pressure, take from that what you want.

I'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. His very first reply to this thread, which was the 6th reply if I'm not mistaken, was that he would refund anyone who didn't want to move to Gullo's hosting.

If you call that pressure, then it didn't take much.

If he does right by the client, with very little pressure, that to me suggests that there was no ill intent.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • donlidonli Member
    edited May 2018

@pullangcubo said:

Ditto. I have high regards to the older generations of programmer/computer scientists who started/had training with punch cards who mentally had to "run" their programs and make sure they've got the right algorithm, otherwise they'll need to punch those cards once again, lol

Since it was usually "batch processing" back then the worst part was having to wait at the back
    of the line to have your program run again.

• The crazy thing about all of this, is I can still order a vps from the site.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@caniac22 said:
    The crazy thing about all of this, is I can still order a vps from the site.

If make an order it will be canceled and refunded if paid.

• lazytlazyt Member

Damn kids. I'm 60 and have used computers and the web from the beginning.

Thanked by 2Shazan pullangcubo
  • LeeLee Veteran

vpsrus said: If make an order it will be canceled and refunded if paid.

Doh!

@vpsrus said:
    If make an order it will be canceled and refunded if paid.

Why don't you just disable the order button?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2018

randvegeta said: I'm not mistaken, was that he would refund anyone who didn't want to move to Gullo's hosting.

Money was not the issue, this was.

JabJab said: You can expect to receive an email from Gullo's Hosting directly in the next few days.

And this

JabJab said: They will also hold a backup of all clients data and will be able to restore this backup on a VPS for you to continue to use.

So personal details and clients data were being passed to another host without any consideration to the clients. Fuck off with your benefit of the doubt.

• RajinoRajino Member

Whew and i was thinking get one from them last 2 days ago
    Lucky