Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vpsRus dropping all VPS/NATVPS, Gullo's refuge offer - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vpsRus dropping all VPS/NATVPS, Gullo's refuge offer

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@MasonR said:

@Neoon said:
    Well, Since when can you force costumers to another provider and keep the money if they want a refund?
    No, just do a chargeback if you do not want to move.

You signed a contract with your costumers, you are not providing what they paid for, so chargeback.

Seems like, we living in a dream world now, first Treudler just goes offline, no refund and now the next one.

Put the pitchfork away

Well, thats fine then, I just read the first post and was like WTF.

• mkshmksh Member

@Clouvider said:
    Who doesn't? Have you seen a DDoS mitigation system that doesn't process metadata of connections from flows? If one doesn't then their provider 100% will.

DDoS mitigation systems store weeks or months worth of packets? Besides back then @AnthonySmith stated he wouldn't do it on his NAT boxes.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@Neoon said:
    Well, thats fine then, I just read the first post and was like WTF.

The sad thing is the host was pressured into doing it. It should have been worded so in the first place.

Common sense isn't so common nowadays.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@mksh said:

@Clouvider said:
    Who doesn't? Have you seen a DDoS mitigation system that doesn't process metadata of connections from flows? If one doesn't then their provider 100% will.

DDoS mitigation systems store weeks or months worth of packets? Besides back then @AnthonySmith stated he wouldn't do it on his NAT boxes.

Packets or metadata?

Metadata - surely - if you want to profile a connection you can't really do it with a few days of data, can you? It all depends on the needs. Patterns can be hourly, daily, weekly, monthly. ~Month is definitely common.

Entire packets - who has the capability to store en masse? It's a lot of data! Surely, during an attack, a 10-15s worth of traffic sampled towards an IP, yeah, but network-wide - that would be extremely expensive.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:

@mksh said:

@Clouvider said:

Packets or metadata?

Metadata - surely - if you want to profile a connection you can't really do it with a few days of data, can you? It all depends on the needs. Patterns can be hourly, daily, weekly, monthly. ~Month is definitely common.

Didn't know that ~month was actually a common thing. You learn something new every day i guess.

Entire packets - who has the capability to store en masse? It's a lot of data! Surely, during an attack, a 10-15s worth of traffic sampled towards an IP, yeah, but network-wide - that would be extremely expensive.

Iirc @Cam explained his system a bit further but i can't remember in detail. Guess it's something along the lines of metadata though since as you said cost of a full dump would be prohibitive (at least for any serious amount of bandwidth). I'll see if i can dig up the original thread.

Edit: Tried but oh well... A thread concerning NAT VPS with @Cam and @AnthonySmith. It's a needle in a haystack and tbh i can't be arsed to invest to much energy if it isn't all that special anyways.

• @mksh said: Iirc @Cam explained his system a bit further but i can't remember in detail. Guess it's something along the lines of metadata though since as you said cost of a full dump would be prohibitive (at least for any serious amount of bandwidth). I'll see if i can dig up the original thread.

I think what you're referring to is this:

AnthonySmith said: I assume Cam is just talking about switch flows

From this thread

Thanked by 2mksh Clouvider
  • mkshmksh Member

@nullnothere said:
    I think what you're referring to is this:

Exactly. Great find.

AnthonySmith said: I assume Cam is just talking about switch flows

From this thread

And @Cam himself states:

@Cam said:
    Yep, Basically just the To and the From of each packet. The actual packet data isn't stored.

So @Clouvider was right. It's just metadata.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • williewillie Member

IThinkUFailed said:

I have no doubts Cam is a good person and only had his best intentions for people but this is still not right nor fair for any of the clients involved who now have their details shared with a third party without their knowledge or approval.

Not saying it's a good thing, but this happens all the time when one company is acquired by another one. I got the email from Vpsrus and didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the transition. Since the vpsrus shutdown is postponed enough that there's 30 days notice, it seems about as good as we can hope for.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@deank Well, reading always everything is a waste of time, sometimes its worth reading every single post, sometimes its not.

He just changed the direction after the community pushed him away from turning it off next week.
    He should give at least 2 weeks + refund or Gullo's Hosting.

Everything else, gonna be a drama.

Regarding the metadata, I do not see the point, why he would do that.

If he gets a lot of abuses maybe, worth it, but still its OVZ, he can see the running processes, with ease and other stuff.

I am not doing it, same as Anthony, I have no need for it.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

It's completely normal to keep connection metadata around (at least temporarily) for abuse investigations etc. You can bet that your home ISP and your mobile carrier has this info about all your net traffic. If he was keeping actual packets that would have been alarming, but only the NSA has enough disk space to do that ;).

I'm one of the bigger privacy freaks around this place and I'm not the least bit upset by this Vpsrus to Gullo transfer on privacy grounds. Vpsrus is a fairly new host and one thing LET users ought to have learned by now is to keep their expectations realistic. I'd be much more upset if the company was sold to Facebook or something like that.

The issue here is that not the company is acquired but ‘Customers’ and their data. Takeover is another story, such part sale is yet another one.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

I just got new email:

I've come to you to rectify my last email as follows.

1) The end of the support period will be 05/30 so you will have 30 days to decide to move to a new provider, Gullo's Hosting is welcoming any of our customers to create a service with them.

2) Customers with monthly terms will not be refunded as you have 30 days to move.

3) Customers with yearly terms will be pro-rated refunded

4) Your data will be will be destroyed after service termination 06/01.

I believe that will clear any issue that I have generated in the last email.

That seems to be as good as one can reasonably be hoped for.

Clouvider said:

The issue here is that not the company is acquired but ‘Customers’ and their data. Takeover is another story, such part sale is yet another one.

Again we see both all the time at small and large scales. Truthfully from a customer perspective I don't see much difference between selling a company and transferring its subscriber obligations, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2018

JabJab said: we will not be offering any type of refund or compensation for customers that do not wish to run out their contract with Gullo's Hosting.

@vpsrus that is essentially theft, you are using money already paid for service you are no longer providing and staying open, customers that perhaps do not want their data passed to another host without notice or opt in (which it seems you have already done anyway).

I hope that a new email is sent out to all customers with the same clarification you sent to @willie

Provider tag has been revoked pending the resolution of this mess as my spider senses are tingling.

If you would like to change your name here to vpsrnotus pop a ticket in.

• mkshmksh Member

@willie said:
    I'm one of the bigger privacy freaks around this place

Me too and while i am not terribly disturbed about what is basically packet headers being stored (imo it's best to assume that somewhere along the line this is going to be stored anyways and likely the data with it) but it still gives me to think when 2 other providers state they see no reason to do it. I think we can agree that the best way to avoid misuse of data is not collecting it in the first place.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I would also suggest this company to change its name, as it doesn't sell VPS anymore and it is not from RUSsia... :P

Thanked by 1mksh
  • saibalsaibal Member

@Shazan said: it is not from RUSsia

The "rus" in vpsrus stands for "vps r us". Nothing to do with Russia.

edited May 2018

VPSRUS could be read to VPS R US = Your VPS (and money) are ours. :p

You know, like ToysRus...

• mkshmksh Member

@saibal said:

True. Even "rus" meaning russia wouldn't save the name from being non fitting if they stop selling VPS. Still he has a point. A company being named VPS-something that doesn't sell VPS is not exactly ideal.

Thanked by 1Shazan

@saibal said:

Yes, I am aware of that but the first impression, expecially for non native english speakers, is that "rus" means Russia. Only english mother tongue people use "r" for "are", "u" for "you" and so on...

@mksh said:

@willie said:

Me too and while i am not terribly disturbed about what is basically packet headers being stored (imo it's best to assume that somewhere along the line this is going to be stored anyways and likely the data with it) but it still gives me to think when 2 other providers state they see no reason to do it. I think we can agree that the best way to avoid misuse of data is not collecting it in the first place.

Nope. The providers you mention don’t run their own protection systems, etc. Can’t put all different cats in one basked. This is a completely invalid assumption.

• saibalsaibal Member

Shazan said: Only english mother tongue people use "r" for "are", "u" for "you" and so on...

No, only millennials do ;-)

Thanked by 1Shazan

@saibal said:

Shazan said: Only english mother tongue people use "r" for "are", "u" for "you" and so on...

That could be too :) I am far from being a millennial.. lol

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@saibal said:

Toys "R" Us - founded in 1948. Those are some old ass millennials

Thanked by 3Aidan Falzo HarborVPS
  • mkshmksh Member

@Clouvider said:

@mksh said:

@willie said:

Nope. The providers you mention don’t run their own protection systems, etc. Can’t put all different cats in one basked. This is a completely invalid assumption.

Buuuut i like stuffing cats into baskets! Well, yeah, point taken. Someone who runs it's own infrastructure is going to have different needs than someone who doesn't. I was explictly comparing @Cam to @AnthonySmith and @Neoon here. Which is at least somewhat fair i guess?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
    edited May 2018

@MasonR said:

@saibal said:

In administration now. Thy had a long run either way.

• saibalsaibal Member

@MasonR said:

@saibal said:

:D They were called something else back then. Although, dint they file for bankruptcy recently?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@saibal said:

@MasonR said:

@saibal said:

:D They were called something else back then. Although, dint they file for bankruptcy recently?

Sorry, 1957. Point still stands. And yes, they're currently closing all stores.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:

JabJab said: we will not be offering any type of refund or compensation for customers that do not wish to run out their contract with Gullo's Hosting.

@vpsrus that is essentially theft, you are using money already paid for service you are no longer providing and staying open, customers that perhaps do not want their data passed to another host without notice or opt in (which it seems you have already done anyway).

I hope that a new email is sent out to all customers with the same clarification you sent to @willie

Provider tag has been revoked pending the resolution of this mess as my spider senses are tingling.

If you would like to change your name here to vpsrnotus pop a ticket in.

@AnthonySmith the new email was sent out to all customers they will have the option to chose whatever provider they want. Regarding the money paid already, I just stated and sent email that they will be entitled to a refund, just open a ticket.
    It was not my intention to deceive anybody but my email was wrong and I admit and apologize for that, I am still here and I am not running with anybody money.

The end has been averted, for now.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited May 2018

@Clouvider said:

Is it another issue that said data is acquired by an individual and not an actual legal company entity?