Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today

124»

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Hey! Fedora 28 released!

Thanked by 1beagle
  • mkshmksh Member

@MikeA said:
    Hey! Fedora 28 released!

Go make your own thread! This thread is only for the praise and glory of Ubuntu!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@MikeA said:
    Hey! Fedora 28 released!

I think that Fedora is much less deployed on servers than Ubuntu, at least in part due to its relatively short life cycle (approx. 13 months). In addition, Fedora is fairly cutting-edge, so probably not the best choice if one is looking for play-it-safe stability.

• AeneAene Member

@angstrom said:

@MikeA said:
    Hey! Fedora 28 released!

I think that Fedora is much less deployed on servers than Ubuntu, at least in part due to its relatively short life cycle (approx. 13 months). In addition, Fedora is fairly cutting-edge, so probably not the best choice if one is looking for play-it-safe stability.

At one of my previous jobs we actually used Fedora as it resembles Red Hat. So Red Hat for business critical stuff and Fedora for anything else. But apart from that I haven't seen that many businesses running Fedora lately.

• JackHJackH Member

AnthonySmith said: Never really understood why anyone uses Ubuntu on servers over Debian but ho hum, time to update some templates

Commercial support from Canonical is the one argument I've seen tossed around from time to time. Makes sense for organisations who need that kind of thing. Not that I believe anyone on LET requires commercial support though, so that argument is kind of invalid here. ;-)

@Aene said:

@angstrom said:

@MikeA said:
    Hey! Fedora 28 released!

At one of my previous jobs we actually used Fedora as it resembles Red Hat. So Red Hat for business critical stuff and Fedora for anything else. But apart from that I haven't seen that many businesses running Fedora lately.

Red Hat themselves say that Fedora is a test bed for future RHEL (and derivatively, future CentOS) releases.

If you like to live on the edge, Fedora is a good choice.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited May 2018

Here in the real world we use Windows at work.
    Also Windows Server.

Servers down! , Workstations restarting, Computers slow to a crawl, Motherf* is the damn unstoppable Windows Update process again. Kappa well done Microsoft.

• sibapersibaper Member

@Hxxx said:
    Also Windows Server.

Servers down! , Workstations restarting, Computers slow to a crawl, Motherf* is the damn unstoppable Windows Update process again. Kappa well done Microsoft.

put them on virtualization, do full backup daily.

every time windows update take over your server, restore from backup -:) stop fighting windows. You'll lose no matter what :-)

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • sibapersibaper Member

@angstrom said:

@Aene said:

@angstrom said:

@MikeA said:
    Hey! Fedora 28 released!

Red Hat themselves say that Fedora is a test bed for future RHEL (and derivatively, future CentOS) releases.

If you like to live on the edge, Fedora is a good choice.

I use centos 7 for my workstation. They support every version up to 10 years. Never worry again about software broken, update fucked, etc.

F******* to distro that only lasted few month.

@michaels said:
    I did an upgrade on one of my test servers... Other than breaking Apache and changing PHP versions it went well! Will wait for the .1 to hit the release channel and then try other servers :)

In practice, something will break with a major version upgrade of any distribution unless one has done no customization at all, which, however, isn't a realistic scenario. Hopefully, though, any breakage can be resolved by merging/updating various config files.

• HxxxHxxx Member

W10 = CANCER

@sibaper said:

@Hxxx said:
    Also Windows Server.

put them on virtualization, do full backup daily.

every time windows update take over your server, restore from backup -:) stop fighting windows. You'll lose no matter what :-)

• why not use manjaro?

@budi1413 said:
    why not use manjaro?

Please note that the topic of this thread is not to ask "Why not use X?", where X is a Linux distribution.

edited May 2018

I finally managed to try out Ubuntu server edition on a VPS yesterday.

The main thing that I would like to point out is that there are actually two choices of ISO: the "live-server" ISO and the (plain) "server" ISO:

The "live-server" ISO uses Canonical's new installer, which (I must say) is surprisingly quick/efficient but at the same time doesn't offer many options. In contrast, the plain "server" ISO uses Debian's installer, which takes much longer to work through but offers all of the usual options that Debian offers.

Having spent a few hours with both ISOs yesterday, my personal recommendation would be as follows:

• For a quick and temporary deployment to do some testing, the "live-server" ISO is definitely preferable because it'll save a lot of time.
    • For a long-term/longer-term deployment, the plain "server" ISO is definitely preferable because it gives many more options for customization (to mention just two: a greater choice of languages/locales; the possibility of LVM for partitioning).

In the past, Canonical offered only the plain "server" ISO, so the addition of the "live-server" ISO is new.

If I were a provider, I would definitely consider offering both ISOs (hint, hint). :-)

Thanked by 1JackH
  • AeneAene Member

Anyone managed to install it on a KS-1? According to Kimsufi they will not offer an image for it as it's below 3GB RAM.

@Aene said:
    Anyone managed to install it on a KS-1? According to Kimsufi they will not offer an image for it as it's below 3GB RAM.

I don't quite follow Kimsufi's reasoning.

In any case, it does take a little effort to make a good image.

• torrboxtorrbox Member

The smallest scaleway VPS does not have Ubuntu 18 either :( I tried to upgrade from 16, but it just breaks the VPS (no network connection after reboot).

On my laptop I had to enable right clicking with gnome-tweaks but the cursor speed is not constant, meaning I always end up with the cursor in the corners of my screen. (my laptop is Ubuntu certified btw) Super dumb. I wonder if I can somehow switch to the "old" touchpad software/configuration.

• @torrbox said: I tried to upgrade from 16, but it just breaks the VPS (no network connection after reboot

This could be because of the new fangled naming scheme for interfaces.

Running this could help:

ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules update-initramfs -u

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

@torrbox said:
    I tried to upgrade from 16, but it just breaks the VPS (no network connection after reboot).

Ubuntu 18 uses https://netplan.io as default for the networking which may be causing that.

Thanked by 1torrbox
  • AeneAene Member

@torrbox said:
    The smallest scaleway VPS does not have Ubuntu 18 either :( I tried to upgrade from 16, but it just breaks the VPS (no network connection after reboot).

Seems like the minimum for a "normal installation" is 112MB so the 2GB in ks-1 should be sufficient.
    Tried to do a do-release-upgrade -d which seems to have worked for me.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@SolusVM said:

@torrbox said:
    I tried to upgrade from 16, but it just breaks the VPS (no network connection after reboot).

Ubuntu 18 uses https://netplan.io as default for the networking which may be causing that.

As long as ifupdown is installed there should be no problem. You don't need to disable netplan to retain the old functionality.

edited May 2018

@jackb said:

@SolusVM said:

@torrbox said:

As long as ifupdown is installed there should be no problem. You don't need to disable netplan to retain the old functionality.

When I tried out Ubuntu 18.04 a couple of days ago (see my post above), I wasn't aware of the new networking system with netplan. I then installed ifupdown but found out that netplan overrides it unless one disables netplan. I finally decided to go with the flow and to try out netplan.

In case it may help someone, here is the essence of my file /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml, set up for static addresses (replace ipv4, etc. by real values).

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # For more information, see netplan(5).
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
        ens3:
          dhcp4: no
          dhcp6: no
          addresses: [ipv4/22, "ipv6/64"]
          gateway4: ipv4gw
          gateway6: ipv6gw
          nameservers:
            addresses: [ipv4ns1, ipv4ns2, ipv4ns3]

After editing /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml, do netplan try to check for syntax errors and do netplan apply to update the networking parameters.