Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today

angstromangstrom Moderator
edited April 2018 in General

Big day, girls and boys: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with the code name Bionic Beaver, with support until April 2023, appears today. :-) (To my mind, "Bionic Beaver" is one of the more memorable Ubuntu code names.)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS features a return to GNOME (in version 3.28), the use of Linux kernel 4.15, Xorg as the default display sever (Wayland is also available), a new "Minimal installation" option (for those who only want a minimal desktop), not to mention many incremental improvements.

The server edition features LXD 3.0, a new installer, and easier live patching, among many other improvements.

If your favorite VPS provider still doesn't offer Ubuntu 16.04, now it would really be high time to complain. :-)

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited April 2018

angstrom said: If your favorite VPS provider still doesn't yet offer Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu 18.04, now it would really be high time to complain. :-)

Customized it to LET expections.

Thanked by 3Wolveix netomx liara
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Never really understood why anyone uses Ubuntu on servers over Debian but ho hum, time to update some templates

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@emgh said:

angstrom said: If your favorite VPS provider still doesn't yet offer Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu 18.04, now it would really be high time to complain. :-)

In that sentence, I did mean 16.04, of course, because we often hear of providers who don't yet offer 16.04. :-)

• emghemgh Member

@angstrom said:

@emgh said:

In that sentence, I did mean 16.04, of course, because we often hear of providers who don't yet offer 16.04. :-)

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that people will expect providers to roll out 18.04 before you can know it. If a provider is using something like SolusVM or any other not custom panel I can't see how it's a hard thing to roll out new ISOs actually. Apart from maybe wanting to see how it performs security-wise.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Never really understood why anyone uses Ubuntu on servers over Debian but ho hum, time to update some templates

Well, arguably, Ubuntu is flashier(!), but I think that it also holds one's hand more in setting up certain things, e.g., a mail server.

(Personally, I also prefer Debian on servers.)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Not sure if There is will be changes , We will built it as preinstalled with KVM today!

@emgh said:

@angstrom said:

@emgh said:

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that people will expect providers to roll out 18.04 before you can know it. If a provider is using something like SolusVM or any other not custom panel I can't see how it's a hard thing to roll out new ISOs actually. Apart from maybe wanting to see how it performs security-wise.

Yes, I agree, it should be easy enough to make a new ISO available. :-)

Thanked by 2emgh MikePT
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Bionic Beaver is definitely an interesting choice.

@key900 said:
    Not sure if There is will be changes , We will built it as preinstalled with KVM today!

Wow, that's a good plan, especially seeing that the 18.04 ISO isn't yet available for download. :-) (Give it a few more hours.)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

@angstrom said:

@key900 said:

Wow, that's a good plan, especially seeing that the 18.04 ISO isn't yet available for download. :-) (Give it a few more hours.)

nevermind, assuming you're not including beta ISO.

• Hmm... I'm more of a Debian user, but is the live patching system as useful as it seems? There's a limit of three systems on the personal account, but it still seems interesting.

• I'm ready to.... seed

• manlivomanlivo Member
    edited April 2018

Wait wait... and upgrade. :)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:

@key900 said:

I assumed they are available I haven’t checked i’m at phone but if they are i”d to prepare it today than later! Since it will be required anyway.

• time to upgrade desktop. :)

for server, debian thanks!

• Have to evaluate lxd3 before switching to Debian 100% for servers

• bapbap Member

At least I'll wait until 18.04.2 is released before replacing 16.04 on my desktop.

Thanked by 2Aidan FHR

@bap said:
    At least I'll wait until 18.04.2 is released before replacing 16.04 on my desktop.

You're a cautious guy. :-)

I'm still running 14.04 on a desktop, will probably do a fresh install of 18.04 when I find the time. Upgrading from 14.04 via 16.04 to 18.04 seems too messy to me.

• At least I'll wait until 18.04.2 is released before replacing 16.04 on my desktop.

Going from 14.04.5 to 18.04 +X+GNOME will be a nice jump. :)

• On servers, Debian is just so much less resource intensive on a minimal build compared to Ubuntu (with tweaking it can be fixed though).

Why do people like Ubuntu on servers? VNC?

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited April 2018

@FlamesRunner said:
    On servers, Debian is just so much less resource intensive on a minimal build compared to Ubuntu (with tweaking it can be fixed though).

Maybe because nowadays servers with good specs are so cheap and people don't mind running Ubuntu because it makes no difference in performance compared to debian.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2018

@FlamesRunner said: ich
    On servers, Debian is just so much less resource intensive on a minimal build compared to Ubuntu (with tweaking it can be fixed though).

Tbh I stick(ed) to Ubuntu because the first time I tried to learn Linux I watched a Udemy course and it was about Ubuntu. Now, I do get along in Debian as well (I do however not like CentOS too much) but Ubuntu just feels like coming home :P

Plus.. who doesn't love a SUDO sandwich?

• @Ympker said:

I can live on using su, when and if I need it, thank you very much.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • @FlamesRunner said:

@Ympker said:

SUDO memes are just too much established :P

• @Ympker said:

@FlamesRunner said:

@Ympker said:

SUDO memes are just too much established :P

I AM ROOT memes much more established :v

Thanked by 1Ympker

@FlamesRunner said:

As I tried to say earlier in this thread, I think that Ubuntu server edition makes setting up a server easier than Debian does for those who are less experienced in this. (This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage.)

• angstrom said: @FlamesRunner said: On servers, Debian is just so much less resource intensive on a minimal build compared to Ubuntu (with tweaking it can be fixed though).

As I tried to say earlier in this thread, I think that Ubuntu server edition makes setting up a server easier than Debian does for those who are less experienced in this. (This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage.)

Are commands between the two the same?
    How are they different in setting up a server?

• mkshmksh Member

@Ympker said:

Ubuntu's sudo setup is beyond braindead. As long as you are allowed to run a shell trough sudo it's nothing but a shitty version of su.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2018

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:

Ubuntu's sudo setup is beyond braindead. As long as you are allowed to run a shell trough sudo it's nothing but a shitty version of su.

Haters gonna hate :P

Thanked by 2mksh maverickp
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

OMG!!! Going to add it in my SolusVM Panel and try it. Awesome.. Thanks to Ubuntu.