Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today

Comments

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    OMG!!! Going to add it in my SolusVM Panel and try it. Awesome.. Thanks to Ubuntu.

Nice plug for your business....

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Never really understood why anyone uses Ubuntu on servers over Debian

You get more up to date packages more quickly with Ubuntu.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

@AlyssaD said:

OMG!!! Going to add it in my SolusVM Panel and try it. Awesome.. Thanks to Ubuntu.

Nice plug for your business....

No, I have test server with SolusVM Beta. I have extra server and most of time I like to try new OS.

• mkshmksh Member

@bbuckm said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yeah you basically get debian unstable so that's hardly surprising. So you get newer packages but with less testing. Maybe it's just me but i wouldn't call that an advantage.

Support for live kernel patching (as mentioned above) is a solid argument in favor of Ubuntu but beyond that i seriously don't know. VNC has been mentioned but unless you are dead set on Unity (i think that's still the DE of Ubuntu) i don't see how this is relevant as you can have the same setup on Debian.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • HxxxHxxx Member

There is really nothing here worthy of an " OMG"

Thanked by 1geekalot
    edited April 2018

@Hxxx said:

I am excited to see Ubuntu 18 and I am so excited. I don't know why most of are sad (you, AlyssaD, AnthonySmith - Maybe old people do not like change)

• Running 17.10 atm for reasons I can't remember why. I prefer the LTS releases and will upgrade to 18.04 when the guinea pigs who install it over the next few weeks finds any bugs.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Hxxx said:

AutoBoot.

Thanked by 3mksh MasonR Tom

@Clouvider said:

@Hxxx said:

AutoBoot.

Pizza Boy (Slice)

• Time to bug @Francisco to add it to his list of templates :P

Thanked by 1neps
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@mksh said:

@bbuckm said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yeah you basically get debian unstable so that's hardly surprising. So you get newer packages but with less testing. Maybe it's just me but i wouldn't call that an advantage.

Support for live kernel patching (as mentioned above) is a solid argument in favor of Ubuntu but beyond that i seriously don't know. VNC has been mentioned but unless you are dead set on Unity (i think that's still the DE of Ubuntu) i don't see how this is relevant as you can have the same setup on Debian.

As the OP mentioned, the DE is now GNOME again. Unity is still available in the repository, but it's no longer the chosen DE.

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:
    Plus.. who doesn't love a SUDO sandwich?

Ubuntu's sudo setup is beyond braindead. As long as you are allowed to run a shell trough sudo it's nothing but a shitty version of su.

Not so hard to set up a password for root and then to use su. :-)

• TomTom Member
    edited April 2018

Is it actually released yet?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED YET and is not recommended for use on production systems or on your primary computers yet.

# do-release-upgrade
    Checking for a new Ubuntu release
    No new release found.

Thanked by 1angstrom

I have the feeling that people on LET don't get so excited about new Linux (or BSD) distribution releases. I guess that there are still many Debian 7 and/or CentOS 6 users around here. (Which is okay. :-) )

Well, the day isn't yet over, so there's still hope, but unfortunately, a last-minute bug has been discovered:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntukylin/+bug/1767067

We'll see, let's hope for the best.

• lazytlazyt Member

Well at least this time they caught it and didn't brick a bunch of systems again.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Hm... their wiki doesn't indicate that 18.04 LTS is live.

On the other hand, I'm hoping .NET Core projects built as a Self Contained Deployment would run on 18.04...

• In search of hosting with 18.04 lts ISO available. My current host is dragging their feet, looking to switch. /s

Thanked by 2Francisco geekalot
  • @DewlanceVPS said:

@Hxxx said:

I am excited to see Ubuntu 18 and I am so excited. I don't know why most of are sad (you, AlyssaD, AnthonySmith - Maybe old people do not like change)

someone around here only supported EOL/ almost EOL OS :).

• TomTom Member

It's been officially released as per ubuntu-announce mailing list.

The Ubuntu team is very pleased to announce our seventh long-term support
    release, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for Desktop, Server, Cloud, and Core.
    lalala etc

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • sudo update-manager -cd, and it's finally done

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

Ubuntu 18.04 looks great.

The minimal vm install preseed is nice for vps usage when installing from iso.

@sibaper said:
    someone around here only supported EOL/ almost EOL OS :).

You support EOL/ .. hmm ;)

edited April 2018

@ramnet said:

I am not sure If this type of installation method was introduced before Ubuntu 18 server but It is really nice and GUI does not use too much bandwidth. Very simple.

• dosaidosai Member

LTS Yes!

@DewlanceVPS said: @ramnet said: Ubuntu 18.04 looks great.

I am not sure If this type of installation method was introduced before Ubuntu 18 server but It is really nice and GUI does not use too much bandwidth. Very simple.

As the OP mentioned, the server edition has a new installer.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

@ramnet said:

Yeah, until now, it was hard to install a more trimmed-down desktop, so the "Minimal installation" is useful. (If this is what you're referring to.)

edited April 2018

@angstrom said:

@ramnet said:

Yeah, until now, it was hard to install a more trimmed-down desktop, so the "Minimal installation" is useful. (If this is what you're referring to.)

I was referring to this actually.

For a trimmed down desktop, Lubuntu is best for that imho. With only default settings Lubuntu will install from it's 64 bit alternate iso and run happily on a 256MB ram VPS, which is fantastic.

Thanked by 2pullangcubo angstrom
  • lionlion Member

@ramnet said:

What does it actually do?

edited April 2018

@lion said:
    What does it actually do?

It installs a true minimal system, low ram usage, low disk usage. And if you are on a lowend VPS, this is the only mode that will actually install and boot successfully without any fuss.

If you remember Ubuntu JeOS, this is basically the successor to that.