Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS appears today

Comments

• lionlion Member

@ramnet said:

@lion said:
    What does it actually do?

It installs a true minimal system, low ram usage, low disk usage. And if you are on a lowend VPS, this is the only mode that will actually install and boot successfully without any fuss.

That actually sounds really cool, I'll give it a try.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

@lion said:
    That actually sounds really cool, I'll give it a try.

The best part is the linux-virtual kernel that mode installs too. much more efficient inside a VM than the generic kernel.

Thanked by 3lion vimalware geekalot
  • lionlion Member

Does someone know the difference between live-server and server? Is it just a version you could boot, play around and install afterwards?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@ramnet said:

@angstrom said:

@ramnet said:
    Ubuntu 18.04 looks great.

The minimal vm install preseed is nice for vps usage when installing from iso.

Yeah, until now, it was hard to install a more trimmed-down desktop, so the "Minimal installation" is useful. (If this is what you're referring to.)

I was referring to this actually.

For a trimmed down desktop, Lubuntu is best for that imho. With only default settings Lubuntu will install from it's 64 bit alternate iso and run happily on a 256MB ram VPS, which is fantastic.

I see -- I was referring more to the desktop ISO. But it's neat that there's a minimal option for a VPS on the server edition.

@ramnet said:

@lion said:
    What does it actually do?

It installs a true minimal system, low ram usage, low disk usage. And if you are on a lowend VPS, this is the only mode that will actually install and boot successfully without any fuss.

Invaluable for LET. :-)

@lion said:
    Does someone know the difference between live-server and server? Is it just a version you could boot, play around and install afterwards?

I thought that there was no longer an official live-server edition, but I may be mistaken. In any case, I would keep to the official server edition for the actual installation unless you know what you're doing.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

@lion said:

Just for testing purpose so download normal Ubuntu ISO from ubuntu cdimage link. (iso)

• mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:

@mksh said:

@Ympker said:
    Plus.. who doesn't love a SUDO sandwich?

Ubuntu's sudo setup is beyond braindead. As long as you are allowed to run a shell trough sudo it's nothing but a shitty version of su.

Not so hard to set up a password for root and then to use su. :-)

True. I i am just annoyed with Ubuntu's default setup as it basically ignores anything sudo was designed for. Being able to launch a root shell (as su does) and do whatever you please is exactly what sudo set out to avoid by just allowing selected commands to be run. Seriously, the only sense i can see in Ubuntus disable root/sudo approach is stopping their desktop users from doing extremly stupid shit like logging into X as root.

@angstrom said:
    I have the feeling that people on LET don't get so excited about new Linux (or BSD) distribution releases. I guess that there are still many Debian 7 and/or CentOS 6 users around here. (Which is okay. :-) )

Excitement might be an overstatement but i actually care for OS releases. Thing is i only care for a hand full of operating systems and Ubuntu is not one of them. Admittely i've used it at some point on my way to a linux desktop but i will never go back there. As far as servers are concerned i am quite sure i won't ever use it even if the live kernel patching made easy is tempting. I don't get hard over rapidly increasing version numbers (quite the opposite actually) and i don't trust Ubuntu stability wise so a new Ubuntu release is not going to get me all that interested.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@mksh said: Seriously, the only sense i can see in Ubuntus disable root/sudo approach is stopping their desktop users from doing extremly stupid shit like logging into X as root.

Yeah, it's clearly a strategy to help protect users from themselves.

edited April 2018

@mksh said: Excitement might be an overstatement but i actually care for OS releases. Thing is i only care for a hand full of operating systems and Ubuntu is not one of them. Admittely i've used it at some point on my way to a linux desktop but i will never go back there. As far as servers are concerned i am quite sure i won't ever use it even if the live kernel patching made easy is tempting. I don't get hard over rapidly increasing version numbers (quite the opposite actually) and i don't trust Ubuntu stability wise so a new Ubuntu release is not going to get me all that interested.

I hear you. :-)

I've never run Ubuntu server edition on a server other than to test it. (This may change with 18.04 -- I'll see. :-) )

I find Ubuntu desktop edition useful for testing whether certain hardware works on Linux: if hardware works on Ubuntu, then it should work on other distributions as well, but perhaps not out of the box.

• shellshell Member

start seeding .........

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Kind of a side note....
    Anyone know why Debian dev seams to have slowed over the past year or so? "Buster" release date has been long overdue.

I'm surprised Ubuntu made their new release.

@oneilonline said: Kind of a side note.... Anyone know why Debian dev seams to have slowed over the past year or so? "Buster" release date has been long overdue.

Why "long overdue"? Debian doesn't announce exact release dates much in advance, and Buster (= Debian 10) is on schedule but won't be released until the middle of next year (this is according to schedule).

oneilonline said: I'm surprised Ubuntu made their new release.

Why are you surprised?

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:

@oneilonline said: Kind of a side note.... Anyone know why Debian dev seams to have slowed over the past year or so? "Buster" release date has been long overdue.

Why "long overdue"? Debian doesn't announce exact release dates much in advance, and Buster (= Debian 10) is on schedule but won't be released until the middle of next year (this is according to schedule).

Exactly. Debian's stable releases are approximately 2 years apart and Stretch isn't even 1 year old yet.

oneilonline said: I'm surprised Ubuntu made their new release.

Why are you surprised?

Seems he is under the impression that Ubuntu is based on Debian stable when in fact it's based on unstable which makes Debian's release cycle pretty much irrelevant to them.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@mksh said: Seems he is under the impression that Ubuntu is based on Debian stable when in fact it's based on unstable which makes Debian's release cycle pretty much irrelevant to them.

Oh, I see, yes, he must have thought that Ubuntu is derived from Debian stable.

By the way, I thought that Ubuntu LTS releases are based on Debian testing, but perhaps this has changed. In any case, once Ubuntu takes a snapshot of Debian (testing or unstable), they apply their own testing, patches, and improvements, which is why Ubuntu isn't considered a (simple) derivative of Debian.

• mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:
    By the way, I thought that Ubuntu LTS releases are based on Debian testing, but perhaps this has changed.

You are probably better informed there than i am. My main contact with Ubuntu is when their users show up in Debian forums demanding support ;)

In any case, once Ubuntu takes a snapshot of Debian (testing or unstable), they apply their own testing, patches, and improvements, which is why Ubuntu isn't considered a (simple) derivative of Debian.

Yep, that's how Ubuntu releases work. I don't know about their internal testing and i can't remember the actual numbers but still i read about some guy doing the maths and 90+% (probably 95%+ but i am being nice here since i am to lazy to dig up the real numbers) of the packages are unchanged. How much that means is up to everyones own interpretation considering Debians imense number of packages.

Anyways current quality control (at least for less commonly used packages) doesn't seem to be all that great in Debian either. I just had the displeasure of downgrading an unusable icewm package to jessie just to get my desktop running...

edited April 2018

@mksh said:

@angstrom said:
    By the way, I thought that Ubuntu LTS releases are based on Debian testing, but perhaps this has changed.

You are probably better informed there than i am. My main contact with Ubuntu is when their users show up in Debian forums demanding support ;)

In any case, once Ubuntu takes a snapshot of Debian (testing or unstable), they apply their own testing, patches, and improvements, which is why Ubuntu isn't considered a (simple) derivative of Debian.

Yep, that's how Ubuntu releases work. I don't know about their internal testing and i can't remember the actual numbers but still i read about some guy doing the maths and 90+% (probably 95%+ but i am being nice here since i am to lazy to dig up the real numbers) of the packages are unchanged. How much that means is up to everyones own interpretation considering Debians imense number of packages.

Anyways current quality control (at least for less commonly used packages) doesn't seem to be all that great in Debian either. I just had the displeasure of downgrading an unusable icewm package to jessie just to get my desktop running...

Sorry to hear about your experience with icewm in stretch.

Just did a quick check of two packages in Bionic Beaver:

Based on these two examples, it seems that Bionic Beaver is based on Debian unstable rather than on Debian testing.

• mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:

Yeah, i was disappointed. Icewm getting updates again after being basically abandoned is one few things i was curious about.

That's actually better than what is in Debian stable. I tried this version before downgrading and even though it isn't perfect it just seemed to have a few cosmetic bugs (which might actually just be caused by my config files being outdated) instead of the SIGSEGVs of the package shipped with Debian stable.

Seems pragmatic. I figure even if they updated the top 1000 packages that wouldn't amount to 10% considering Debian is at 20000+ (i think). So even if it's just 5% of the packages changes might still be quite substancial. I mean packages like icewm are probably installed by like 10 people (me already included) ;)

@mksh said:

@angstrom said:

Yeah, i was disappointed. Icewm getting updates again after being basically abandoned is one few things i was curious about.

That's actually better than what is in Debian stable. I tried this version before downgrading and even though it isn't perfect it just seemed to have a few cosmetic bugs (which might actually just be caused by my config files being outdated) instead of the SIGSEGVs of the package shipped with Debian stable.

Maybe file a bug report? :-) If icewm (with fresh config files) yields SIGSEGVs on Debian stable, that's a pretty serious bug.

(icewm was the first WM that I used. Fond memories of editing the config files to try to get the behavior I wanted! There was a Motif theme that I really liked.)

• mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:

@mksh said:

Maybe file a bug report? :-) If icewm (with fresh config files) yields SIGSEGVs on Debian stable, that's a pretty serious bug.

I'll do that but i guess ill have to run the affected package so it'll have to wait until i find the time to install it again (atm i need a working laptop).

(icewm was the first WM that I used. Fond memories of editing the config files to try to get the behavior I wanted! There was a Motif theme that I really liked.)

I have my own theme that gets migrated from install to install to.... Well, at least for the taskbar to make it look a bit less blocky and fit in with a dark GTK theme (windows are just a redish version of Win2k). The taskbar is actually what makes me keep using icewm. I've looked around but couldn't find anything similar lightweight and configurable. I guess pypanel comes close but i don't like the idea of a constantly running python process. Sometimes i think about writing my own taskbar but then why bother? I've been using icewm for so long it seems it's all i'll ever need.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Running this new version on my (brand new) Ryzen computer from a live USB stick, and I must say this 4.15 kernel is really fast compared to Windows 10.

Look at those numbers:

Windows 10: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8088405

Now,
    Ubuntu 18.04: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8108465

There is a huge difference. I even got the best score so far with this CPU :)

Thanked by 2angstrom sayem314
  • I prefer centos for anything then comes ubuntu or debian!

For tiny tiny VPSes, debian!

Thanked by 2angstrom DewlanceVPS

@FredQc said:
    Running this new version on my (brand new) Ryzen computer from a live USB stick, and I must say this 4.15 kernel is really fast compared to Windows 10.

Look at those numbers:

Windows 10: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8088405

Now,
    Ubuntu 18.04: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8108465

There is a huge difference. I even got the best score so far with this CPU :)

Good to hear. :-)

(That's a monster computer that you have there!)

Thanked by 1FredQc

DistroWatch was quick to review Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop version ( https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180430#ubuntu ), concluding that "Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is not perfect, but it is very good."

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

3 days in with 18.04 and I am very pleased with how it feels, looks and performs.
    The Gnome desktop is great and the top bar is rather minimalistic to what Unity used to have, which I welcome. The dock (now seems to be called "favorites") is better looking, and the launcher has some nice animation added to it. System settings now look a lot better than before, and so do all system windows. USB modem detection is back to what it used to be in 14.04 - great - and any dongle I have tried has worked out of the box. I'd say this is probably the first release after 14.04 that I really like.

• There exists some providers offering only 12.04 and 14.04
    (in fact the programming contest server in my school is still using 10.04)

edited May 2018

@jebwizoscar said:
    There exists some providers offering only 12.04 and 14.04
    (in fact the programming contest server in my school is still using 10.04)

10.04 was the last LTS version to use GNOME (specifically, GNOME 2), then they switched to Unity, and 18.04 is the first LTS version since then in which they've returned to GNOME (specifically, GNOME 3). I remember 10.04 well: it was very good, probably the best Linux distribution with GNOME 2 at that time.

(By the way, as long as one isn't connected to the internet, nothing really wrong with using unsupported Linux distributions.)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I did an upgrade on one of my test servers... Other than breaking Apache and changing PHP versions it went well! Will wait for the .1 to hit the release channel and then try other servers :)

• AeneAene Member

Seems to work pretty good on my test server. So now I just waiting for Kimsufi to make it available for my ks-1.