Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LET dedicated box pricing (USD$84/month) discussion - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LET dedicated box pricing (USD$84/month) discussion

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

Nekki said: unless they’re working on razor-thin ROI currently and tend to only keep servers for a month of two

Others would know better than I, but I think that really is the way they operate. They collectively drive the price of servers up til they're barely making a profit. Then if the price of the coins drops a little, they are losing money so they don't want to be committed to the servers.

• @willie said:

Nekki said: unless they’re working on razor-thin ROI currently and tend to only keep servers for a month of two

Others would know better than I, but I think that really is the way they operate. They collectively drive the price of servers up til they're barely making a profit. Then if the price of the coins drops a little, they are losing money so they don't want to be committed to the servers.

I fail to see why anyone would bother for an amount of money so small that could get nuked by the average setup fee, but people do all sorts of strange shit in the pursuit of a few pennies these days.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@MikePT said:
    1 - A business wants/needs to be profitable or else, there's no point doing business other than losing money (exclusions apply: e.g: deals to increase client base, etc, but that's a marketing expense/loss-leader, and should be done right);

No, shit, they want to make profit?

2 - Hardware costs money;

3 - Spare parts cost money;

Still Hardware.

4 - Colocation space costs money;

5 - Bandwidth costs money;

6 - Power costs money;

7 - IPs cost money;

Thats what Colocation includes.

8 - Staff costs money;

Also you are missing the RESELLER, RESELLER MASTER thing.

You can't just demand providers to lose money, nor to price match the others. That's what providers do behind the scenes, and that's their own decisionn, if they want to price match or not. Different companies have different vision/goals, as well as costs.

Wait, I do not demand that they loose money, I demand deals.

If you release deals with profit loss, its cross-subsidized or you are running a summer host on purpose. Thats not my fault.

I think the $84 USD price limit is awesome, that'll attract new providers, and granted that we'll still be cheap. No one is forcing you to order, at all. This is opening new possibilities. I wonder how many providers have considered posting their offers here before, but the $49 USD price limit was... Completely impossible for them, unless they'd do it for fun or a loss leader.

It will drive us into shit, the 8GB memory sticks needs to be out of GOLD.

• For me lowend definition is relative to the spec.
    Highspec dedicated machine @$84 is cheap.

So I am happy with the update, and hopefully there are more bargains coming to LET.

Thanked by 2Clouvider MikePT
  • $84 is what I spend on 3 Haswell/Skylake dedis.

Maybe LET can create more config 'tiers', eg. $84 should include 2x SSDs minimum in the config(or 4x HDD), and a /29 subnet + 20TB of Gbit transfer.

$48 should include 10TB of Gbit transfer and 2x1TB HDDs or 1x240GB SSD as options.

It lets providers decide which niche they want to occupy based on their strengths/assets (IPs, electricity, network capacity)

For example, AlphaVPS's $25 overstock dedis are very tempting if I need a redundant cluster of 3+ dedis . (single SSD is fine for this)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@vimalware it limits the diversity though. Lowend in Australia may have completely different specs and price to lowend in Dallas.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited February 2018

@Clouvider said:
    @vimalware it limits the diversity though. Lowend in Australia may have completely different specs and price to lowend in Dallas.

So, we should remove the limit completely?

Definition of LoweEnd:

"Low-end products, especially electronic products, are the least expensive of their kind."

It says "least expensive of their kind", it does not include that the location matters?

Since its low end.

Even then a 8GB Golden Dedi for 84$ is not lowend, the 84$ limit should be lower.

That means also, that stuff like support is excluded or very limited.

edited February 2018

Dedicated Servers are services, not products. There’s a significant difference to cost, bassd on where such service is performed, contrary to your example.

Using your own example, $84 Dedicated Server in Japan or Singapore would be considered not only low end, but rock bottom end even.

Thanked by 2MikePT Aidan
    edited February 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Dedicated Servers are services, not products. There’s a significant difference to cost, bassd on where such service is performed, contrary to your example.

Thats a cheap excuse, another quote if you like:

"intended for people who do not have a lot of money to spend:"

It does not include products.

Still the location is not a factor.

You do want the cheapest, no the best.

Eh, I told you once already. Open a business, start selling those sub $40 dedis, and we’ll see how it goes for you.

I get it - you’re against it, I won’t discuss it with you further since you seem to be resilient to all arguments.

Thanked by 3MikePT Ewok MasonR
  • This concept isn't really hard to grasp is it? If someone comes in and attempts to flog an Atom for $84/month, I'm pretty sure that the community will jump in that thread and warn people the deal is crappy, kinda' like... community-driven regulation!

@Neoon, what 'LowEnd' used to reference to and what it now means are totally different on the spectrum, as said above, you've still got the $7 limit, but people want SSD/NvME, DDoS protection, blah; LET hosts still have to try and maintain the $7/month limit, something would eventually give and force providers to stop coming to LET; I wouldn't go through half the trouble most reputable hosts here go through for the price of a cup of Costa Coffee and their brownie (awesome by the way).

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2018

It's a futile discussion as it really only attracts those that are against it, those in support or have no view will just see how it goes.

At the end of the day the limit is in place for 3 months so we will see in 3 months what the benefits have been, there are no downsides to it other than for those that consider it "expensive".

Thanked by 4Aidan MikePT uptime Zen
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Neoon said:

@MikePT said:
    1 - A business wants/needs to be profitable or else, there's no point doing business other than losing money (exclusions apply: e.g: deals to increase client base, etc, but that's a marketing expense/loss-leader, and should be done right);

No, shit, they want to make profit?

2 - Hardware costs money;

3 - Spare parts cost money;

Still Hardware.

4 - Colocation space costs money;

5 - Bandwidth costs money;

6 - Power costs money;

7 - IPs cost money;

Thats what Colocation includes.

8 - Staff costs money;

Also you are missing the RESELLER, RESELLER MASTER thing.

You can't just demand providers to lose money, nor to price match the others. That's what providers do behind the scenes, and that's their own decisionn, if they want to price match or not. Different companies have different vision/goals, as well as costs.

Wait, I do not demand that they loose money, I demand deals.

If you release deals with profit loss, its cross-subsidized or you are running a summer host on purpose. Thats not my fault.

I think the $84 USD price limit is awesome, that'll attract new providers, and granted that we'll still be cheap. No one is forcing you to order, at all. This is opening new possibilities. I wonder how many providers have considered posting their offers here before, but the $49 USD price limit was... Completely impossible for them, unless they'd do it for fun or a loss leader.

It will drive us into shit, the 8GB memory sticks needs to be out of GOLD.

I failed to understand your post. The reseller reseller master thing doesnt even have a connection to my staff cost money argument. You clearly do not know the costs a Provider needs to keep up with. At all. So keep your dual cores, Hetzner and SYS/Kimsufi.

" No, shit, they want to make profit?"

This speaks for itself.

@Bitmap said:
    what 'LowEnd' used to reference to and what it now means are totally different on the spectrum, as said above, you've still got the $7 limit, but people want SSD/NvME, DDoS protection, blah; LET hosts still have to try and maintain the $7/month limit, something would eventually give and force providers to stop coming to LET; I wouldn't go through half the trouble most reputable hosts here go through for the price of a cup of Costa Coffee and their brownie (awesome by the way).

Well, we see enough SSD even NVMe KVM's lower as 7$, even with AntiDDOS.

People do seem to expect that these days, but just because a new technology or danger rolled in, is no reason to flip the limits up.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

It's a trial, the whole point is to find out if it is viable, talk about what could or might happen all you want, there is not even any observational data to back up any negative arguments.

I did say there would be a vocal few having a hissy fit when the new rules went in, I was right about that, hopefully I will also be right that the new price LIMIT will be a good thing for the community as a whole too.

@IAlwaysBeCoding just a tag so you know now I was not referencing you previously.

@Clouvider said:

Using your own example, $84 Dedicated Server in Japan or Singapore would be considered not only low end, but rock bottom end even.

He doesn't get it.

@vimalware doesn't either. @vimalware, you are trying to limit the Providers, your suggestion would be to create requirements for its maximum price.

So you already are a cheapstake that pushes the specs to the limit, and now you want to demand and regulate the offers even further.

Fine. If that goes ahead I think Providers wont post deals. Why would they bother to, when we are not exactly the most profitable target and are the most demanding.

Damn its really hard to please some people here.

Thanked by 1lion
    edited February 2018

@Neoon said:

@Bitmap said:
    what 'LowEnd' used to reference to and what it now means are totally different on the spectrum, as said above, you've still got the $7 limit, but people want SSD/NvME, DDoS protection, blah; LET hosts still have to try and maintain the $7/month limit, something would eventually give and force providers to stop coming to LET; I wouldn't go through half the trouble most reputable hosts here go through for the price of a cup of Costa Coffee and their brownie (awesome by the way).

Well, we see enough SSD even NVMe KVM's lower as 7$, even with AntiDDOS.

People do seem to expect that these days, but just because a new technology or danger rolled in, is no reason to flip the limits up.

Still waiting for you to find those 2 UK e3 dedi's with 2x500GB in hw raid with ddos protection for $49 in previous offers.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@MikePT said:
    I failed to understand your post. The reseller reseller master thing doesnt even have a connection to my staff cost money argument.

That was a comment to your listing, we have also providers here which complain about the prices but they just reselling sutff.

Obviously, when you do reselling the price will be higher, since the company before and youself want to make profit.

You clearly do not know the costs a Provider needs to keep up with. At all. So keep your dual cores, Hetzner and SYS/Kimsufi.

Most of the providers are reselling, either you buy colocation + hardware and put it in there.
    In a scale which you cannot compare to Kimsufi/Hetzner or you just resell the dedis.

A tiny fraction does open there own DC like OVH/Hetzner, NorthHosts.

But that does not mean you cannot do any deals.

This speaks for itself.

If you run a company, you obviously want to make profit, otherwise you go and run a charity.
    Yes it does speak for itself.

@AnthonySmith said:
    It's a trial, the whole point is to find out if it is viable, talk about what could or might happen all you want, there is not even any observational data to back up any negative arguments.

I did say there would be a vocal few having a hissy fit when the new rules went in, I was right about that, hopefully I will also be right that the new price LIMIT will be a good thing for the community as a whole too.

@iwillallwaysbecoding just a tag so you know now I was not referencing you previously.

Edit, on iPad someone tag him properly for me please.

@IAlwaysBeCoding

edited February 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    Still waiting for you to find those 2 UK e3 dedi's with 2x500GB in hw raid with ddos protection for $49 in previous offers.

When did I criticized Cloudvider? his offers are cheap compared to the Other stuff with 8GB golden memory for 84$.

I do not know how you come up with that.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited February 2018

@Neoon said:

@MikePT said:
    I failed to understand your post. The reseller reseller master thing doesnt even have a connection to my staff cost money argument.

That was a comment to your listing, we have also providers here which complain about the prices but they just reselling sutff.

Obviously, when you do reselling the price will be higher, since the company before and youself want to make profit.

Even not reselling you still need to make a profit. I fail to understand what is wrong about reselling. Its no crime.

You clearly do not know the costs a Provider needs to keep up with. At all. So keep your dual cores, Hetzner and SYS/Kimsufi.

Most of the providers are reselling, either you buy colocation + hardware and put it in there.
    In a scale which you cannot compare to Kimsufi/Hetzner or you just resell the dedis.

Yeah that is why there are no other deals here, because LET are too demanding. Unless a provider goes in VortexNode style. You know how it ends up though.

But that does not mean you cannot do any deals.

This speaks for itself.

If you run a company, you obviously want to make profit, otherwise you go and run a charity.
    Yes it does speak for itself.

Then let them profit, if its sustainable it will last longer.

• Neoon said:

WSI, HostSolutions, and Time4vps all operate their own DC's from what I understand. Not sure about CC Buffalo.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2018

Neoon said: When did I criticized Cloudvider?

He was referring to your comments on the LoveServers Offer.

edited February 2018

@willie said:

Neoon said:

WSI, HostSolutions, and Time4vps all operate their own DC's from what I understand. Not sure about CC Buffalo.

Time4VPS own their DC. They also had to raise their prices several times because they were losing money, or wasnt being worth at all.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@MikePT said:
    Yeah that is why there are no other deals here, because LET are too demanding. Unless a provider goes in VortexNode style. You know how it ends up though.

We do have deals here, but not that often.

These are not from Kimsufi all the time.

@Neoon said:

@MikePT said:

We do have deals here, but not that often.

These are not from Kimsufi all the time.

I will not discuss further. I hope you open your business and sell servers for 49 USD, with SSDs please. Anyway, not worth.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Clouvider said:

Good point Dom.

Question : wouldn't the logical way to tier, be by geography, then?

APAC, UK and rest of world(ROW?) maybe.

I would love to see official offers for SGP here.

FWIW I have no complaints with Clouvider pricing. (because : features + support)

I just want to preserve the spirit of LET: "* we are all El Cheapo *"

@MikePT said:
    I hope you open your business and sell servers for 49 USD, with SSDs please. Anyway, not worth.

As I said, when you do offers, you are responsible for yourself, to make offers, that do not run you into deadpool.

LET does demand cheap deals, but that does not mean that you need deadpool tomorrow.

If you cannot do cheap deals, then do not do it?

• LeeLee Veteran

vimalware said: preserve the spirit of LET

You can't preserve something that has not existed for a long time.

Thanked by 2willie MikePT
    edited February 2018

Ok well, as a wise man once said, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and you don't go out of your way (usually) to look deep into someone else's.

So my final thoughts, as everything that can be said has been said and we are just circling around the same points now.

This won't be reverted early.

Dedicated offers are few and far between on LET currently.

I and essentially LET as a body is not overly interested in what you can get somewhere else within our rules.

We do see a large number of dedi requests that cannot be satisfied without our old rules.

The trail will run.

It is just a trial.

You will all get the change to vote on it in April.

Good night Seattle.

Thanked by 3Lee vimalware MikePT