Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LET dedicated box pricing (USD$84/month) discussion - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LET dedicated box pricing (USD$84/month) discussion

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Neoon said: As I said, oveprice as fuck.

Then feel free to do the job we know and love you for Herr Cheapo!

First though, please provide 2 none batshit crazy sale day examples of a UK E3v2 with 8GB RAM and a 500GB disk and DDOS protection for $49 posted on LET.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Neoon said:
    That was quick:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136912/loveservers-manchester-uk-dedicated-servers#latest

E3, 8GB, 500GB for 84$

As I said, oveprice as fuck.

Indeed. For that price, I would rather go with one of @Clouvider offers:

Clouvider offers

Thanked by 3Aidan uptime Clouvider
    edited February 2018

I guess the new rules are working then, already more talk of servers that would not have otherwise been available within the price limits :)

Thanked by 2beagle dahartigan
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Neoon said:
    That was quick:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136912/loveservers-manchester-uk-dedicated-servers#latest

E3, 8GB, 500GB for 84$

As I said, oveprice as fuck.

For you, everything is oveprice[sic].

For Manchester you will struggle to get anything better than that at the price point.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser BlaZe
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Jack said:
    This includes hardware RAID1, so it’s two 500GB if you really really wanted we could set it up as RAID0 or no RAID at all.

The offer above also? 500GB Drive today, cost a fraction.

Also you’re forgetting the location, people seem quick to compare the UK and US offers, the US has cheaper space and power in my opinion therefore cheaper offers are possible.

No one compared the offers with US, we compared it with UK offers.

edited February 2018

I mean, I don't want to start a dick measuring contest or anything, but the clouvider one posted is a way better deal with a better network and 2 x enterprise SSD's, but he maybe has 1 of those left and there is VAT on top and it is also outside of the old $49 rule.

Also, clouvider has not done a regular dedi deal here in 6 months!

However, I also can fully appreciate that your offer will be more appealing to others closer by and I also really appreciate you having the balls to be one of the first posting an offer within the new rules.

You must have known it would not be popular with everyone even if it was a E3v6 with 4 x 2TB SSD's and a gajillion GB BW and 10gbit teamed NIC's with 8TB of SAn storage, someone would complain it is not $49.

The point is, you could never have done it at $49 so I see it as a positive overall.

So nice one @Jack thanks for having the balls to step up.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I mean, I don't want to start a dick measuring contest or anything, but the clouvider one posted is a way better deal with a better network and 2 x enterprise SSD's, but he maybe has 1 of those left and there is VAT on top and it is also outside of the old $49 rule.

However, I also can fully appreciate that your offer will be more appealing to others closer by and I also really appreciate you having the balls to be one of the first posting an offer within the new rules.

You must have known it would not be popular with everyone even if it was a E3v6 with 4 x 2TB SSD's and a gajillion GB BW and 10gbit teamed NIC's with 8TB of SAn storage, someone would complain it is not $49.

The point is, you could never have done it at $49 so I see it as a positive overall.

I dont really understand this. Yes, @clouvider was outside the old rule, but I kinda always took that as a given, since @clouvider isnt really lowend. Hes a great provider and not really overpriced for this standards, but, yeah, not really lowend.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@MagicalTrain said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I dont really understand this. Yes, @clouvider was outside the old rule, but I kinda always took that as a given, since @clouvider isnt really lowend. Hes a great provider and not really overpriced for this standards, but, yeah, not really lowend.

In any case the majority of the cost is the hardware really, not the operation, and that’s common for everyone, so brings us back to the point of diversity. On top of it, In the new limit of $84 people will still have to compete. If you have a choice between E3v6 for $84 and someone’s attempt to scalp you on some old Xeon X something launched m before some of the potential visitors to this site were born you’ll still choose the best gear/provider at your budget. I’d expect the old kit to continue to be cheap, but increased diversity in the newer kit and perhaps more diversity with providers available.

World changes every day, LET should too. I support the proposal wholeheartedly.

Thanked by 3DeletedUser beagle jar

I don't really know what else to say that I have not already said or covered, I can't really answer statements, happy to answer questions though.

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited February 2018

I dont know if im the minority, but I come here for lowend servers/deals. If I wanted to read about servers from high end providers, Id go to them and buy servers from a provider I trust explicitly.

LET might need to change, but at which point is it not LET anymore and just a smaller WHT with less shitty admins/mods.

I hope the (soon coming?) dedicated server tag makes browsing the offer forum better. Because as of now having more and more threads added there will make it more unreadable than it already is.

@AnthonySmith Didnt really expect you to answer any questions. Just wanted to also post my thoughts about it.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Isn't that Clouvider offer an old one?

• I am happy with the updated rules, since I visit this forum ( besides the fun part) to see some (crazy) good offers not only lowend ones. So I'd be happy with the rise of that 7$ rule too.

Well I guess I maybe need some input on what people consider lowend, in my direct experience people want the latest processors and the fastest disks possible for as little as possible, which suggests to me that they mean lowend price.

I fear even offering OpenVZ in case someone spits on me these days.

by that logic is an E3v6 with 64GB RAM and 2 x SSD's in a premium location for $84 lowend enough for you, or have I really missed the mark here and people actually want X3440's and atoms only?

If this turns out to be massively unpopular and people REALLY want lowend then the next proposal is going to be to force lowend, maximum ram, cpu age limits (upper) cents per MB maximums etc.

Its one way or the other, it cant be both, or nothing changes anyway and no one cares, and no new offers get posted, no new interest is generated and it just gets reverted, no harm either way.

Re-wrote this twice, it still sounds snarky, please just trust me, its not my intent haha.

Thanked by 2uptime tarasis
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    snip

I dont have anything against people posting E3v6's, but that would not be lowend to me. (Especially, considering I can get a similarly specced server at hetzner without any deals for 49€ currently)

Maybe a further distinction in the tags is possible? Lowend vs highend or maybe a rule to post the price in the headline?

So what about dual E5 with 128GB Ram and 4 SSD's for $84, is that lowend, what is the line?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • At that point, what is the target group? How many people really are looking for servers that are so bizarrely specced that $84/month would be a crazy good deal?

That is a really common spec in my experience, but that is kind of the whole point, it is to 'try' and diversify the offers, everyone has different needs and everyone has different wants.

It is about getting a bargain, if you feel as you do about pricing, the more expensive ones will be of no interest to you, but take a look back at the dedi offers here, even the hetzner one you mentioned is not within the old price limit, it is all old hardware.

The dedi market here is largely driven by the users, that is great, but it could be better with a bit more wiggle room.

Either way, its a trial, you have to be prepared to try new things to determine the outcome sometimes.

• Thats why I made some other suggestions above. Make the whole offer forum easier to read and filter out shit that I (or others) dont care about.

MagicalTrain said: Thats why I made some other suggestions above. Make the whole offer forum easier to read and filter out shit that I (or others) dont care about.

If it comes to that we can have the discussion for sure, nothing is set in stone, the actual dedi offers here are so few and far between filtering is not going to be terribly difficult :)

@MagicalTrain said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    snip

I dont have anything against people posting E3v6's, but that would not be lowend to me. (Especially, considering I can get a similarly specced server at hetzner without any deals for 49€ currently)

Maybe a further distinction in the tags is possible? Lowend vs highend or maybe a rule to post the price in the headline?

Again, diversity. What is a point in coming to this forum for offers if it’s filled by the same actors and the same old stuff, can as well go thee directly I suppose ?

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited March 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

MagicalTrain said: Thats why I made some other suggestions above. Make the whole offer forum easier to read and filter out shit that I (or others) dont care about.

If it comes to that we can have the discussion for sure, nothing is set in stone, the actual dedi offers here are so few and far between filtering is not going to be terribly difficult :)

When LEB's pricing increased to try and diversify the content by bringing in new locations, providers and such it seemed that the same old stuff was just being reposted at a higher price. LEB is now just WH every 3 weeks/4 weeks.

Jarland explicitly asked back when he was the admin if we were happy with the prices we currently had and everyone voted to retain them.

All we need is less shifty providers because currently we've had enough that have shafted the community to the point they don't wish to purchase from here past a certain price point and this won't solve that problem.

Some good examples of this would be Treudler, Prout and ServerHand just off the top of my head. What I would suggest is keep the original $49/mo offer and if your offer is outside of that pricing then exceptions made if it really is a unique offer or perhaps just do two weeks of no price restrictions on certain services every couple of months.

E.G: Feb 1 - Feb 14 - No restrictions on dedicated server pricing.

The $84 limit is great breathing room but it will eventually be the same offers marked up a few bucks every offer post and that's unavoidable.

Besides if you have a dual E5, 4x SSD offer at $84 I'm sure it'll be sold out as soon as the miners hear about it ;)

Thanked by 1willie

@IThinkUFailed said:
    All we need is less shifty providers because currently we've had enough that have shafted the community to the point they don't wish to purchase from here past a certain price point and this won't solve that problem.

But you can’t have a cake and it it, can you ?

If the pressure is to sell below cost, you tend to get more low quality prividers.

I for one can say that we sell here quite a bit despite heaving had an offer thread for half a year or so, so clearly there are people here who are happy to pay just a little above $49 to be with a provider that doesn’t have to go below cost to post and actually works. I will also add that we give a huge discount to everything that we sell here but selling below cost is a no go area.

• @Clouvider said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

But you can’t have a cake and it it, can you ?

If the pressure is to sell below cost, you tend to get more low quality prividers.

I for one can say that we sell here quite a bit despite heaving had an offer thread for half a year or so, so clearly there are people here who are happy to pay just a little above $49 to be with a provider that doesn’t have to go below cost to post and actually works. I will also add that we give a huge discount to everything that we sell here but selling below cost is a no go area.

If the provider tag bar is raised then that will remove more people to potentially scam clients and while it's not a full-blown solution it's better than saying fuck it and raising the limit. There are PLENTY of providers that sell within the $49 limits and are fantastic - QuickPacket ( @qps ) being one of them. I'm not saying the $49 pricing limit is perfect but it was voted upon as a community.

Don't get me wrong @Clouvider I've still got to try your dedicated services and your last Black Friday certainly had me ready to buy but I resisted. I've always had a lot of respect for you and your no bullshit attitude.

If we're removing the original pricing limit then we may as well just be WHT... With better moderation of course but that's what it feels like to me.

Thanked by 1qps

I know it's not personal @IThinkUFailed :)

You made an example of QuickPacket for example, that's in the US.

I find it hard for example to find dedicated servers offer threads re: dedicated servers in Australia, Singapore, Japan or the UK for example and I believe this is because of the limit being set so low that in order for a host to post offers in this community, one would have to subsidise them, or miscalculate, or attempt to scam people.

Subsidising doesn't scale, miscalculations lead to dead pool and scammers are getting through despite heavy moderation efforts to stop them.

I personally support the higher limit as it increases diversity. It doesn't change LET into WHT - I'm confident that if someone came in today and try to peddle old Xeon listed last month for $40 today at $84 he or she would regret quickly and would never do it again - this wouldn't happen on WHT. Top ceiling of $84 is still a pretty low end price for many configurations and regions.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

I don't think this was discussed yet as I just skimmed over the replies here and in the new rules thread....

Anyone have any thoughts on yearly offers for dedicated servers?

Personally, my best dedi finds have been yearly (or bi-yearly) offers -- cue DbD's E3/16GB/1TB/10TB@1Gbps for ~$200/yr deals. Obviously some of the VPS rules would carry over as prerequisites (e.g. provider must have been in business for x number of years, etc.). I just don't like how providers are only permitted to advertise the monthly prices because if someone wants a box long term, they'd potentially get a decent price reduction by paying yearly.

I can see how this could be viewed as no longer low end since you'd have to pony up $200+ at purchase time, but the monthly cost of the box could be drastically lower than month-to-month offers.

Any thoughts or rebuttals welcome.

• @MasonR said:
    I don't think this was discussed yet as I just skimmed over the replies here and in the new rules thread....

So far, all dedicated yearly deals I can remember (vortexnode, delimiter, databasebydesign) have caused the provider's service level to go downhill quite a lot, sometimes even going as far as deadpooling (vortexnode, basically), just long waittime for support (delimiter, DbD). In all of the above cases, threads on LET were opened about how shitty the provider was and all.

Just to prevent such stuff from happening in the future I'd vote against yearly dedi deals. If a provider can manage to fit a dedi quarterly in the 84 usd budget (28 usd/month) then that would be allowed (you could even make it "pay 1 month, get 2 months free forever" if the normal rules would disallow it).

But to yearly, with the risk of scamming members of this community out of more money? Without paypal protection after the first 6 months? That's a no from me.

• @Clouvider said:
    I know it's not personal @IThinkUFailed :)

You made an example of QuickPacket for example, that's in the US.

I find it hard for example to find dedicated servers offer threads re: dedicated servers in Australia, Singapore, Japan or the UK for example and I believe this is because of the limit being set so low that in order for a host to post offers in this community, one would have to subsidise them, or miscalculate, or attempt to scam people.

UK isn't always as friendly price wise that's for sure I'd say the only sub $50 ones I knew about were you, EasySpace and the now deadpooled Northhosts but I believe this was intended to deceive people from its beginning.

.Japan is expensive too. Singapore and Australia are also very hard to get sub $100 from reputable places from my brief attempts to look (before OVH opened there obviously)

I think I would prefer stricter moderation of the provider tag than price-related changes. I may be alone on this one though but feel it's worth chiming in.

@MasonR said:
    but the monthly cost of the box could be drastically lower than month-to-month offers.
    Any thoughts or rebuttals welcome.

This assumes it's a reputable and long-standing provider that won't deadpool 3 months into your service but yes I agree long-term pricing schemes benefit both client and provider as it's a guaranteed lock-in for that period.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@teamacc said:

@MasonR said:

So far, all dedicated yearly deals I can remember (vortexnode, delimiter, databasebydesign) have caused the provider's service level to go downhill quite a lot, sometimes even going as far as deadpooling (vortexnode, basically)

Never knew VN offered yearly deals for on their dedi's, that's news to me. Are you sure that's correct? I remember hearing about yearly KVMs and such going downhill but never dedi's.

just long waittime for support (delimiter, DbD).

To be fair, there wasn't any degradation in DbD's support as a result of yearly deals, it was always bad -- before and after :P

In all of the above cases, threads on LET were opened about how shitty the provider was and all.

I wasn't around here for the Delimiter issues, so I can't comment on that. But like always, any blatant issues would be self-governed by the users here.

Just to prevent such stuff from happening in the future I'd vote against yearly dedi deals. If a provider can manage to fit a dedi quarterly in the 84 usd budget (28 usd/month) then that would be allowed (you could even make it "pay 1 month, get 2 months free forever" if the normal rules would disallow it).

But to yearly, with the risk of scamming members of this community out of more money? Without paypal protection after the first 6 months? That's a no from me.

That's a fair point. Maybe up to bi-annual offers allowed for PayPal protection purposes. At least I'd be in favor of allowing hosts to offer dedi's on a quarterly payment period would be good, as how I interpret the current rules is that only monthly billing is permitted.

@MasonR yep is was discussed, we decided that was probably pushing too far for the communities comfort zone and that people wanting yearly deals can probably make a deal privately if they see an offer they like.

The idea is to generate more space for providers to be more active with dedi's which will, in turn, generate more competition which naturally pulls prices down anyway, if it backfires and it just pushes up the price for the same thing that was offered 3 months ago then hosts doing that are going to look like right lemons when we revert it and they have to pull their prices back down again and customers from the coming 3 months start asking for price reductions.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I can remember that you complained about the Ad's that get displayed on LET, it was getting lower and lower.

Did CC come to LET and asked to raise it for more clicks?

84$ is not lowend anymore, we should even set the limit down to 40$.