Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSByCall: free VPS over the phone [1.5 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD, 100 Mbps unmetered] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSByCall: free VPS over the phone [1.5 GB RAM, 20 GB HDD, 100 Mbps unmetered]

Comments

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@VPSByCall you might as well give up with LET. Yes, we're all cheapskates who like to get a <$7 VPS.. but we're not so bad that we will waste this much time to save a couple of dollars. Maybe give @luis123456 a shout, I heard he likes free stuff.

• @TheLinuxBug I partly agree with you. But on the other hand, the time wasted for hunting for the lowest VPS deals ("6 USD? Wow, so expensive! I only have 3 USD!") and this kind of attitude is not too far away from spending the time to making a (ok, multiple) phone call(s). I estimate that everyone complaining about pricing differences in the range of a few single-figure USDs is a good candidate for our service and may go through the effort of making a few dozens phone calls if he can save 3, 5 or 10 USD. And still, where can you find a VPS with 100 Mbps unmetered bandwidth for 3, 5 or 10 USD. Show me! :)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@VPSByCall said:
    And still, where can you find a VPS with 100 Mbps unmetered bandwidth for 3, 5 or 10 USD. Show me! :)

How about a dedicated server?

http://lowendbox.com/blog/kimsufi-e2-99month-2gb-atom-dedicated-server-in-roubaix-france/

• @VPSByCall said:
    And still, where can you find a VPS with 100 Mbps unmetered bandwidth for 3, 5 or 10 USD. Show me! :)

For example here:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/302695/

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/13582/

:)

• @Inglar Ok, not bad. :)

• @VPSByCall said:

Summoning @FlipHost

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@DalComp You rang? ;)

• Wow, you're quick. lol

• Okay. Math time! Lets say that rather than spend 70 hours listening to ads, you decided to use the time doing something productive instead, say... Mowing Lawns. If it takes you 20 minutes to mow a lawn, and you get paid $10 per lawn (a reasonable amount), you'd be able to mow 208 lawns in that 70 hours, and be paid a nice $2080 for your time. The BlueVM Blue2 plan, for $5 per month, is roughly equivalent to the VPS you'd get for your 70 hours of listening to ads. So, for that $2080, you could get a Blue2 for 416 months, or 34 years, 8 months. You'd only have to mow one lawn per month even to pay for a Blue2 for 2 months! Which would YOU rather do?

Thanked by 2Daniel15 bulbasaur
  • @DalComp said:
    Summoning FlipHost

@Fliphost can do something unmetered? )

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Okay. Math time! Lets say that rather than spend 70 hours listening to ads, you decided to use the time doing something productive instead, say... Mowing Lawns. If it takes you 20 minutes to mow a lawn, and you get paid $10 per lawn (a reasonable amount), you'd be able to mow 208 lawns in that 70 hours, and be paid a nice $2080 for your time. The BlueVM Blue2 plan, for $5 per month, is roughly equivalent to the VPS you'd get for your 70 hours of listening to ads. So, for that $2080, you could get a Blue2 for 416 months, or 34 years, 8 months. You'd only have to mow one lawn per month even to pay for a Blue2 for 2 months! Which would YOU rather do?

Yea I think the can offer it with less time spent listening to ads, he's just trying to bank really hard on it.

• @Magiobiwan You could have you used the time you just wasted instead for calling and would have earned a nice couple credits. ;) So, to follow your logic, when you are on the phone your brain doesn't allow you to do anything else at the same time and you are like a deer who sees headlights? Seriously now - the time you have to spend is to dial the number every time you get disconnected (pressing redial) - and that's it.

• @VPSByCall said:
    Magiobiwan You could have you used the time you just wasted instead for calling and would have earned a nice couple credits. ;) So, to follow your logic, when you are on the phone your brain doesn't allow you to do anything else at the same time and you are like a deer who sees headlights? Seriously now - the time you have to spend is to dial the number every time you get disconnected (pressing redial) - and that's it.

Mowing a lawn is more active and keeps you outside, vitamin d is good for you, whilst you are encouraging people to sit inside on the phone for 70 hours.

Just stop.

• @ATHK said:
    Mowing a lawn is more active and keeps you outside, vitamin d is good for you, whilst you are encouraging people to sit inside on the phone for 70 hours.

Can't you do both together? :)
    (hypothetically speaking)

• @ATHK It's 2013. Phones are now mobile. :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Inglar Yes I can do unmetered servers

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited September 2013

Okay, I might as well throw my two cents in... I could see something like call in for 10 minutes a month and get a 64-128mb server? But 70 hours? For a $5 server? Okay, let's take that into perspective.. From a quick Google search, the average prisoner that works makes roughly $.49 an hour (source).. If they worked for 70 hours they would make $34.50 (i'm going to round to $35). That could pay for 7 months of a BlueVM VPS with the same (or near same) specs. From my terrible math, you're paying about $0.06 an hour..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@VPSByCall said:
    No idea who 3jelly is. Anyway, it's basically always the same: first there is a lot of flaming towards everything that's new and unusual, and then, once people understand that they can get something for free and really did the math they'll use it like crazy (or in our case: call like crazy). :)

Nope it's simple. The investment is far too high, the return is far too low.

• @jarland No, it's not. If you already have an unlimited plan your investment is zero. Install some app for automatic redialing and you're done. (And to make ska happy: only if the TOS of your provider allows it, of course :) )

• @skybucks100 Basically you're saying what Magiobiwan already said. I responded that you don't have to work actual 70 hours. Your work is simply redialing a number which takes a few seconds. That is it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@VPSByCall said:
    jarland No, it's not. If you already have an unlimited plan your investment is zero. Install some app for automatic redialing and you're done. (And to make ska happy: only if the TOS of your provider allows it, of course :) )

I think the disconnect is this: unlimited plan doesn't mean you have unlimited time to have your phone draining and virtually unusable. Not to mention the whole reason you have a phone...to take phone calls. Who is so cheap that they would do this yet can afford these perfect circumstances? A kid, at best.

• @VPSByCall said:
    skybucks100 Basically you're saying what Magiobiwan already said. I responded that you don't have to work actual 70 hours. Your work is simply redialing a number which takes a few seconds. That is it.

I understand, but it just needed a bit of perspective. I think the idea behind this is fine, but 70 hours? Personally, i'd have it so the more you listened, the more ram, hard drive what have you get. (ie call for 30 minutes, get a extra 128mb of ram etc). It's kind of like that saying

If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course frantically try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly.

but hey, thats just my theory.

• I'm just going to flat out say that if you use 5000 minutes on any phone service, unlimited or not - to one phone number is likely violating the AUP.

ATT for example

If your use of unlimited voice Services for conference calling or call forwarding exceeds 750 minutes per month, AT&T may, at its option, terminate your Service or change your plan to one with no unlimited usage components.

I'm pretty sure every phone company has the same limitations. Regardless of expecting someone to sit for 3 days and listen to ads, and finding advertisement partners, the customers will be risking having their services shut off for something not even worth 1$ a month.

• What advertisers agreed to this when you pitched it to them.

• @VPSByCall said:
    ATHK It's 2013. Phones are now mobile. :)

Do you really expect me to make multi international calls on a mobile plan?

Good luck with it though.. plenty of cheap deals around here, I highly doubt anyone would go for this.

• Just no.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@VPSByCall - you have not awarded a single VPS yet, have you...

• This is new.

good one