Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup launches HOURLY BILLING + new VPS Generation (40TB traffic!) - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup launches HOURLY BILLING + new VPS Generation (40TB traffic!)

Comments

• Yeah if it's really 6 months in advance that will go nowhere fast. I don't understand the attraction of netcup at this point. The stuff is cheap but it all seems shaky.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2018

@fLoo said:

@Tion said:
    First of all on one hand I am suprised that you of all people are not outraged by the marketing bullshit Netcup pulled again like you are with Hetzner but then again as long as you are against popular opinion I guess it serves you fine.

Absolutely true. When i ordered a netcup-VPS with 320 GB (RAID-10) it was 160 GB afterall. They then said "HEY ITS RAID 10 - SO 2x160GB" - 160 usable. I was like WTF why for fucks sake you advertise 320 GB then? I dont give a fuck about your backend neither do i want to calculate my storage based on your backend (redundancy is a must but noone advertises a VPS where the customer has to calculate the real storage after reading all their tech-specs.

If DO would start offering their VPS with 1TB each but its 6x GEO-Redundant + RAID + CEPH Backuped and so after all its 20GB everyone would give a fuck about them anymore. This is the bullshit i hate about netcup and i stick to my opinion as long as they dont stop doing this crap.

• I have no problem at all with you disliking or complaining about netcup or some of their actions. Unlike what some seem to have (obviously too quickly and in error) concluded I'm not a netcup fanboy and I clearly said so.

• If they had pulled that 320 GB scam with me I'd have let hell lose on them. Pardon my wording but making customers believe they get some important quantity A while in fact they get A/x is what I call a scam.

It's probably too late now but I want you to know anyway that something like what you described would pretty certainly not only have a court ordering them to fully reimburse you but it would also lead to a criminal case against them.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @bsdguy said:
    It's probably too late now but I want you to know anyway that something like what you described would pretty certainly not only have a court ordering them to fully reimburse you but it would also lead to a criminal case against them.

I've made the decision to not get them into court just because i've worked with Felix (CEO) on an earlier project (Linux-Vserver-Webinterface) together - so it was just because i know him for 10+ years, otherwise i'd have dragged his ass to court.

This was and is 100% scam (lawyer confirmed that).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @fLoo said:

@bsdguy said:

I've made the decision to not get them into court just because i've worked with Felix (CEO) on an earlier project (Linux-Vserver-Webinterface) together - so it was just because i know him for 10+ years, otherwise i'd have dragged his ass to court.

This was and is 100% scam (lawyer confirmed that).

You know their CEO and even like him? Well, why don't you call and give him a strong hint that his marketing assholes are creating MAJOR problems for the company and also make him lose a lot of people with leverage?!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Some people simply love to derail topics.

Thanked by 2Falzo ehab
  • I just got a yearly contract RS 2000 at 14 euros or so, and now VPS 2000 G8 outruns RS 2000 by 70TB BW, 4GB RAM , 110 GB more SSD at similar price.

and only downside is CPU not dedicated , and 0.3% less SLA.

I don't even see that 200 Mbps throttle ...

this is just ...sad...

• Wow, it sounds like netcup has really fallen from grace in the public LET-mind. Big contrast to the pre-BF/BF/Advent euphoria.

For what it's worth, I still like my netcup vServer.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @angstrom said:
    Wow, it sounds like netcup has really fallen from grace in the public LET-mind. Big contrast to the pre-BF/BF/Advent euphoria.

For what it's worth, I still like my netcup vServer.

My personal impression is that netcup has good stuff at good prices but their marketing department grossly taints and sullies netcups image.

Reading, for instance, about that "320 GB vs real 160 GB" scam, makes me think long and hard whether I should even consider them as a provider.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @bsdguy said: Reading, for instance, about that "320 GB vs real 160 GB" scam, makes me think long and hard whether I should even consider them as a provider.

(By the way, that Root-Server is no longer offered.)

I'm probably going against the anti-netcup mood trend at the moment, but I wouldn't have called that a scam. As given in the specifications, it was a little puzzling at first what was meant, but I believe (though I can't verify this any longer) that on the page where the Root-Servers were compared side by side, there was a floating comment that said what was meant. In any case, @Falzo told everyone on LET what was meant. :-)

In sum, certainly not a scam, at worst an initially puzzling description if you didn't look more closely.

• Trying netcup new VPS, installed Windows and does not attach to any network, hence unable to RDP, any pointers please? raised ticket as well.

• balaji_pitchumani said: Trying netcup new VPS, installed Windows and does not attach to any network, hence unable to RDP, any pointers please? raised ticket as well.

You need to install the network drivers from the Driver CD which you can mount in your SCP.

• Is it after install completes? Previous installed SCSI 2k16 to recognize hard disk, now which folder for network?

• got it working, installed the netKVM folder drivers for 2k16 and then enabled RDP..thanks..to me for windows, netcup seems better than hetzner at this point

• LeeLee Veteran

So what is the bottom line here with their new cloud? Shit? Bit of a scam? Misrepresentation? Seeing a bit of all that so far.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:
    So what is the bottom line here with their new cloud? Shit? Bit of a scam? Misrepresentation? Seeing a bit of all that so far.

Better bandwidth and admin tools than Hetzner; shitty billing which still requires prepayment contract.

Thanked by 2Lee beagle
  • LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: Better bandwidth

Better as in you just get more or better quality?

• @Lee said:

Better quality if you're a DTAG User ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

fLoo said: hen i ordered a netcup-VPS with 320 GB (RAID-10) it was 160 GB afterall. They then said "HEY ITS RAID 10 - SO 2x160GB" - 160 usable.

Is that a real quote or are you paraphrasing, I ask because ... 2 x disks in Raid 10 .. um what?

Or did they say raid 1 ?

• WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:

WSS said: Better bandwidth

From my limited shit-tier traffic to Germany, they're about the same. I've been happy with NetCup, but I'm not a huge fan of their billing. I prefer Hetzner's Dedis.

@AnthonySmith said:

fLoo said: hen i ordered a netcup-VPS with 320 GB (RAID-10) it was 160 GB afterall. They then said "HEY ITS RAID 10 - SO 2x160GB" - 160 usable.

Is that a real quote or are you paraphrasing, I ask because ... 2 x disks in Raid 10 .. um what?

Or did they say raid 1 ?

Their math is a little strange in what they expect you to understand. For instance, they marketed a VS as 4 x 80, I've never seen a 2x160.

For instance, my RS 500 SAS was marketed as:

Festplattenverbund RAID10: 4 x 120 GB SAS

Disk /dev/sda: 240 GiB, 257698037760 bytes, 503316480 sectors

So, it's still RAID 10.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Odd.

• @WSS said:

@willie said:
    I think their hourly stuff rolled out faster than they intended, maybe in response to Hetzner. Maybe they will straighten out the issues in the coming days/weeks.

Their billing is, was, and will forever be German.

To be fair, German billing is one of the things they, generally, do well.

I was amazed the first time I realised that they'd let you order something and then pay 14 days after receiving it. (For instance computer equipment or concert tickets)

• @tarasis said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:
    I think their hourly stuff rolled out faster than they intended, maybe in response to Hetzner. Maybe they will straighten out the issues in the coming days/weeks.

I was amazed the first time I realised that they'd let you order something and then pay 14 days after receiving it. (For instance computer equipment or concert tickets)

That is because 14 Tage Widerrufsrecht basically is their 14 day money back guarantee although not explicitly stated. If you are unhappy within 14 days you 100% get your money back. Always worked for me I think.

• Not bad. Better feature-wise than OVH VPS...

Thanked by 1uptime
  • That is because 14 Tage Widerrufsrecht basically is their 14 day money back guarantee although not explicitly stated. If you are unhappy within 14 days you 100% get your money back. Always worked for me I think.

Isn't that only valid for Germans?

• @Aidan said:

That is because 14 Tage Widerrufsrecht basically is their 14 day money back guarantee although not explicitly stated. If you are unhappy within 14 days you 100% get your money back. Always worked for me I think.

I think it applies to all their customers.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    Odd.

The way I figure it is that they're promising that your data will be across 4 separate spindles.

@tarasis said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:

When it comes to heartless, soul crushing paperwork- they're the tops.

• @WSS said:

@tarasis said:

@WSS said:

When it comes to heartless, soul crushing paperwork- they're the tops.

chuckles I'll absolutely give you that.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@Ympker said:

@Aidan said:

I think it applies to all their customers.

I haven't been billed yet for mine; I probably won't keep it since I have a half-decent #2/mo 1G VPS that works great for nameservice.

Thanked by 2Aidan Ympker
  • Quote from their website: „All the hardware we use is built solely from brand-name components that are designed for continuous operation...“

Well but using „flexoptix“ gbic modules ... pretty much no good idea using them for a backbone.

• WHTWHT Member

To be honest am waiting the OVH to join the fun after online, herzner and netcup. They always want to be the leader so with their free ip space am sure they will do something good.