Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup launches HOURLY BILLING + new VPS Generation (40TB traffic!) - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup launches HOURLY BILLING + new VPS Generation (40TB traffic!)

Comments

• @angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding: Only yesterday, I thought that you were skeptical of Hetzner as the LET-messiah (like I am), but today, your tone is different. Have you converted?

Who’s proclaimed Hetzner the LET-messiah?

Oh, @Nekki, since when do you take me so seriously?!

It’s not you I take seriously, it’s Hetzner.

• Does Katie even have tentacles? Other people at Hetzner? Any not insignifcant number of tentacles? Just asking.

• @Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@angstrom said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding: Only yesterday, I thought that you were skeptical of Hetzner as the LET-messiah (like I am), but today, your tone is different. Have you converted?

Who’s proclaimed Hetzner the LET-messiah?

Oh, @Nekki, since when do you take me so seriously?!

It’s not you I take seriously, it’s Hetzner.

Good reply. (The LET-messiah would certainly approve.)

• WSSWSS Member

@Nekki said:
    Your tears are delicious.

Are they salty enough for you?

• @WSS said:

@Nekki said:

They’re not quite a gobful of baby-gravy, but they’ll do.

For now.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:

@Nekki said:

What an evil cunt you are! You pretty much force me to give you a lesson:

Hetzner brought a massive amount of people to LET! That's because some wise spaghetti monster appeared to them (somewhat like with the 3 wise men being sent to Nazareth) and told them "Thou shall go to LET. There thou shall find a hellishly attractive VPS offer from Saint Hetzner" and such it came to pass that no less than 4 billion new users came to LET!

And don't you dare to doubt the miracle and to tell me weird shit about how only people who were already here anyway could read that offer! You evil logic-wielding cunt!

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • bsdguy said: That's because some wise spaghetti monster appeared to them (somewhat like with the 3 wise men being sent to Nazareth

@bsdguy in a nutshell.

• I think most people are either lurkers or sudo lurkers like me sort of.
    When I first found this place I did alot of lurking to start. Then I decided to get into the depravity that is this place.

I may or may not regret it in future. I love a off topic and when I ask questions now they get answered.

My first thread did have some real fuckery but I don't mind that as long as their are some responses on topic.

• @bsdguy said:
    I said that Katies pre-sales support was positive. I also explained why I consider it positive.

>

@bsdguy potential customer A asks a pre-sale question towards Katie, and that is alright with you.

@bsdguy said:
    Moreover I see a lot of small problems in that area at hetzner and while it's convenient for some, of course, I'm not sure that LET should serve as the order desk support for any provider.

@bsdguy but you said that LET should not serve as a order desk support, isn't what you previously said contradicting your previous statement?

@bsdguy said:
    Unless you have bought right now and have a clearly defined, small, and short question, she just completely ignores you. Plus, frankly, she seems to have to hand over to colleagues a lot.

@bsdguy so this would be considered support because it is no longer pre-sales support. You are saying that she ignores you and hands it over to colleagues, in other words she tells you to open up a ticket like you are suggesting it should be done. So why are you even complaining here if she is doing what you want her to do?

@bsdguy said:

And I see that we should ask the question why Hetzner is allowed to (ab)use LET as a harvesting support desk.

@bsdguy said:
    But that is not all. There's meanwhile a lot of "I can't buy", problems with the panel, account not or too slowly created, etc. It's these I'm talking and complaining about and it's these that I call harvesting support.

So whose fault is it, the potential and active customers or Hetzner? Is it the one asking the question or the one answering to support?

You should be putting the blame on the people asking these questions and not take it on Hetzner, because even you complain that she doesn't take your request seriously and pass it over to support.

@bsdguy said:
    I said that Katies pre-sales support was positive. I also explained why I consider it positive.

>

@bsdguy said:
    What I meant wrt Kathy/Hetzner was that I strongly differentiate between a provider being here and being more or less present - or - just dumping his offers; Kathy IMO is not positive; she is not here for us but rather as a harvesting support entity. I dislike that. That said, I also dislike that netcup is all but absent here and I said that and hoped for someone giving them a signal.

Make up your mind, is she positive here or not!

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2018

@IAlwaysBeCoding

As you obviously lack even basic knowledge I'll help you out: The customer at the order desk is the target and result of pre-sales. Pre-sales is helpful for us because - as I already said in this very thread - it helps us to get a better picture of the product and the context.

Order desk support, however, is something different. Questions like "how can I access the panel?".

Finally, you seem to be very focused on Katie, on whether she is positive here or not.

But: a) I'm not your servant. I'm not in any way obligated to feed your curiosity. b) fucking again: Katie (the person) is not the question plus you ask the wrong question out of a gross misconception, namely: Katie isn't here to help us. She is here to sell or, more precisely, to support sales. That's a legitimate reason, no doubt, but that is the relevant frame. Your whole view of how great it is that Katie is here is simply mistaken.

Moreover we're talking a mere convenience here. It's HETZNERS interest and advantage to do it that way because that allows them to have a less loaded system because LET basically serves as a concentrator and as some kind of knowledge base for a large group of potential customers.

This again is legitimate (or at least Hetzners desire to use LET for that purpose is) and THAT is what is happening - and not some benefactor spreading gifts all over the place and doing good thing for the poor.

Katie is doing a job. I guess she is doing it well and anyway polite and constructive - but that's it. A job and well noted for her employer and not because she loves us so much. So your whole perspective is weirdly shifted.

If you were a bit more analytical and a bit less egomaniac you would have notice that.

• edited January 2018

@bsdguy said:
    Moreover we're talking a mere convenience here. It's HETZNERS interest and advantage to do it that way because that allows them to have a less loaded system because LET basically serves as a concentrator and as some kind of knowledge base for a large group of potential customers.

This again is legitimate (or at least Hetzners desire to use LET for that purpose is) and THAT is what is happening - and not some benefactor spreading gifts all over the place and doing good thing for the poor.

>

Bingo! Ding! Ding! This is what I'm talking about that is GOOD for the community. Using this community as big announcements,product launches, public FAQ from companies like DigitalOcean, Hetzner, even Netcup(even if I don't like their offerings) brings a whole lot of other new users to this forum and makes it grow. Diversity is great, I want diversity on this forum, I want to see some more new faces. Otherwise we will have just a circle jerk of the same people writing sexually homophobic messages back and forth on their walls.

Look at the DigitalOcean new pricing thread, there is a user that just joined with 2 posts that asked a question specifically to @jarland because of a credit card company issue. You could say is the same thing that Hetzner is doing, such as providing help desk support. However, the side effect is that it brings people that are SERIOUS and found this place because of doing some googling here and there.

The small LET providers are really more like leeches, because they are found here by posting on the offers section, in reality they are not known anywhere else and need this user base to make their money. Providers such as DigitalOcean, Hetzner provide a shit load of traffic if one of their representatives is answering questions here, even someone like @jarland is extremely valuable for people asking questions regarding DigitalOcean. On top of that, they don't need LET to make money since they already have a strong presence.

I strongly believe that they are not befitting as much as LET is. In fact, their questions are all concentrated on 1 thread each, 1 DigitalOcean thread and 1 Hetzner thread. Your argument makes zero sense to me, because is a thread that keeps on giving, and is only 1 thread out of all of the other non-sense threads that are here, those 2 threads pull a lot of weight here.

Sure they are making some money , but ultimately they are driving traffic to this website from only 2 threads. Why can't we allow 2 simple threads to co-exist where their representatives answer questions? We have so many trolling derailed threads that bring nothing to this forum but bullshit , and you are arguing about 2 threads that are bringing shit load of traffic.

• @IAlwaysBeCoding

I will not continue that discussion with you unless you stop calling certain providers here "leeches" or similar.

And btw: How many consistently growing companies with meanwhile more than 10 employees have you created and run?

Who the bloody fuck are you weirdo to repeatedly insult users like @cociu and other not super big providers?

• @bsdguy said:
    @IAlwaysBeCoding

I will not continue that discussion with you unless you stop calling certain providers here "leeches" or similar.

And btw: How many consistently growing companies with meanwhile more than 10 employees have you created and run?

Who the bloody fuck are you weirdo to repeatedly insult users like @cociu and other not super big providers?

Most LET providers are shit and are not providing an exceptional service. Sure we shouldn't judge them, but let's be honest, they need LET more than the average LET user needs them. If some small-LET provider goes down, there is always one to take it's place, most users won't even miss them and there has been way too many migrations from shitty hosts that went deadpool and started advertising here on LET.

LET is feeding ground for these companies, that is the problem we have and you are simply ignoring it or not acknowledging it. The new users that are coming from the DigitalOcean and Hetzner thread came here because of those 2 reputable companies that advertised here.

Eventually, they will stick around and try some of the LET providers. The thing is that you fail to see @bsdguy is that for every happy customer of a small LET provider, there are 2-3 that got burned and will never comeback to trust any non big reputable hosting provider.

All but a handful of small LET providers here can pull their own weight and provide exceptional service, but the majority are like penny stocks, they suck massive ass.

Even @Lee has a similar opinion why he won't touch most LET providers.

@Lee said:

angstrom said: I tend to agree with you that LET's reaction is a little over the top, but I got in trouble when I said this yesterday.

Not sure that being excited is over the top when it comes from a reputable provider like Hetzner at the price point given.

I have been burned several times over many years on LET, far too often in fact, so I rarely touch anyone that advertises on here. Even today I see people raving about LET providers experiencing their 3rd rebirth and little mention about the shit they left behind in previous forms.

In 5 years DO have never let me down, in 10 years Linode have but recovered well, Hetzner 10 years also and all good. So when one of them offers me more, sure I will run to them. It's a safe and reliable corner of the internet.

They are big enough to see it through and beyond the 1st year unlike many here.

So, over the top? No, just pleased they are doing what they are, giving me more options and less worry.

• now, finally, get a room you two.

• You seem to fail to understand "I will not continue that discussion with you unless you stop calling certain providers here "leeches" or similar."

And no, being obtrusive doesn't make you right.

• Just tried the new hetzner cloud if all is well think might ditch my netcup service.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Wow some serious shade being thrown around essentially @all-hosts haha.

Calm down, no need to cover us all in bile.

Thanked by 2vimalware tarasis
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Wow some serious shade being thrown around essentially @all-hosts haha.

Calm down, no need to cover us all in bile.

Silence, leech! Or ye shall be salted once again (drowned in the tears of a troll as it were ...)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

uptime said: Silence, leech! Or ye shall be salted once again

oh no :(

• LeeLee Veteran

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Most LET providers are shit and are not providing an exceptional service. Sure we shouldn't judge them, but let's be honest, they need LET more than the average LET user needs them.

Some certainly are shit, their plan is to cut and run in time, however in the main I would like to think most providers start with the best intentions. They just don't realise what they are getting into, plan effectively or even spend a bit of time really working on the numbers to realise they can predict their demise to the day and month using their launch pricing.

But LET is a cruel place, it is very difficult to dig yourself out of the profitless sub $7 marketplace, once you realise this you will understand that nobody will ever pay >$7 for your service as they don't think you are worth it after that $3 2GB offer you did last time. You want $6 for it now? Feck off!

Having said that, a provider sets the price for what they offer and if that includes as advertised "24/7 support" as an example then I don't really want to hear "you get what you pay for" in response to the question "why has my ticket not been answered in 2 days?". Price is not the issue, don't promise it if your pricing does not allow it.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Even @Lee has a similar opinion why he won't touch most LET providers.

I am somewhat risk-averse which is ironic given what I do in my day job and the sidelines I have in hosting. Never the less if LET has taught me anything its that getting burned by a provider on here is easier than not, so choose wisely.

Opinionated? Yes, but I won't come running to LET and make a thread when I get shit on, a bad choice is down to me and I suck it up rather than complain about any particular provider I have made an error in choosing.

So for me I continue down the line of choosing providers where I know there is less risk of anything happening that I could have easily prevented by simply making the right choices.

Everyone is different of course.

• I think I would generally react like
    @Lee
    I would post a review and move on at most.

• tianwmtianwm Member
    edited January 2018

Netcup VPS 200 G8

2,69€

Yc4L8W.md.png

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

I think Katie's presence and style improves the atmosphere of this place. She is not the least bit sales-pitchy, with the one possible exception of the first post in the cloud offer thread, which I think was company boilerplate. She answers stuff matter-of-factly. She doesn't pitch Hetzner servers in request or other threads even when they would be well-suited for what the requester wanted. Hetzner CX series VPS have always been good values even by LET standards, including before the cloud offer when they were monthly only, and the dedis are hard to beat, so I think her posture here is about the best one possible.

There might be something to like about a forum focusing exclusively on small hosts, but for LET that ship has already sailed.

• @willie said:
    I think Katie's presence and style improves the atmosphere of this place.[....]

>

[....] I think her posture here is about the best one possible.

Strongly agree, and appreciate the relatively low-key presence as much as from any providers who do pretty much the same.

I would suggest that so could Netcup be doing as well, if they cared to. Or not, that's okay with me too, really. But in general I think at least a good handful of the smaller (and maybe also especially some less experienced) hosts could observe and possibly learn from to good effect for everyone including customers.

[...]
    There might be something to like about a forum focusing on small hosts, but for LET that ship has already sailed.

Hopefully plenty of room for both small and large, but I guess that does yet remain to be seen.

Anyway, really don't want to derail this thread too much more if I can help it! It would be excellent to hear more feedback from people who are dipping their toes into the Netcup cloud now.

• fLoofLoo Member
    edited January 2018

@Tion said:
    First of all on one hand I am suprised that you of all people are not outraged by the marketing bullshit Netcup pulled again like you are with Hetzner but then again as long as you are against popular opinion I guess it serves you fine.

Absolutely true. When i ordered a netcup-VPS with 320 GB (RAID-10) it was 160 GB afterall. They then said "HEY ITS RAID 10 - SO 2x160GB" - 160 usable. I was like WTF why for fucks sake you advertise 320 GB then? I dont give a fuck about your backend neither do i want to calculate my storage based on your backend (redundancy is a must but noone advertises a VPS where the customer has to calculate the real storage after reading all their tech-specs.

If DO would start offering their VPS with 1TB each but its 6x GEO-Redundant + RAID + CEPH Backuped and so after all its 20GB everyone would give a fuck about them anymore. This is the bullshit i hate about netcup and i stick to my opinion as long as they dont stop doing this crap.

Thanked by 3MikePT Aidan tarasis
  • WSSWSS Member

Yeah, my NetCup 320160 is a point of disdain. However, everything else promised (numerically) has held true, so I decided to let it go. I feel marketing was let far too loose here, but the service has been great, and everything just works, so I don't really have anything else to bitch about.

I like my Hetzner #2.693.06 2/20/20, and will certainly be interested in more. If NetCup stops with the bullshit (like their #0.TINY domains which are per month), then I'll give them more business. Right now they're fine for production, but I'll be damned if I'll spin up another painful prepay moment with NetCup for anything else (At #28+, when Hetzner is literally charging me $0.004/hr).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@fLoo said:

@Tion said:
    First of all on one hand I am suprised that you of all people are not outraged by the marketing bullshit Netcup pulled again like you are with Hetzner but then again as long as you are against popular opinion I guess it serves you fine.

Absolutely true. When i ordered a netcup-VPS with 320 GB (RAID-10) it was 160 GB afterall. They then said "HEY ITS RAID 10 - SO 2x160GB" - 160 usable. I was like WTF why for fucks sake you advertise 320 GB then? I dont give a fuck about your backend neither do i want to calculate my storage based on your backend (redundancy is a must but noone advertises a VPS where the customer has to calculate the real storage after reading all their tech-specs.

If DO would start offering their VPS with 1TB each but its 6x GEO-Redundant + RAID + CEPH Backuped and so after all its 20GB everyone would give a fuck about them anymore. This is the bullshit i hate about netcup and i stick to my opinion as long as they dont stop doing this crap.

That and their hourly billing KVM when in fact you need to pre-pay for 6 months or a month in the high specs KVMs. Imho their marketing is very misleading and I like the offers to be very clear.

Thanked by 1andrew1995
  • I think their hourly stuff rolled out faster than they intended, maybe in response to Hetzner. Maybe they will straighten out the issues in the coming days/weeks.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    I think their hourly stuff rolled out faster than they intended, maybe in response to Hetzner. Maybe they will straighten out the issues in the coming days/weeks.

Their billing is, was, and will forever be German.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@willie said:
    I think their hourly stuff rolled out faster than they intended, maybe in response to Hetzner. Maybe they will straighten out the issues in the coming days/weeks.

Could be the case but they could just have a setup fee or initial deposit and not bill you for 6 months in advance. Again, I am not their customer so I dont know what happens if you cancel an instance nor if you can spin up as many as you want using the credits. IMHO, it is very misleading and an horrible attempt at marketing hourly billing.