Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KS-2E and KS-3C promotion - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KS-2E and KS-3C promotion

Comments

• @Shot2 said:

Setsura said:

I believe that makes 4 known good servers in that range.

... and one crappy one (142.4.214.xxx)

OTOH it might be an issue with faulty network hardware, cabling, whatever - which may have happened at any time during the initial setup of the DC, or much later whenever they alter some racks/bays. It could very well be there's no easy rule to predict which racks or servers are affected by the issue, which could in turn explain why OVH is so reluctant to actively fix things. They'd have to wait till us poor sods report each and every faulty server/rack/connection...

It is pretty dumb either way, I get that Kimsufi is bottom of the barrel and all, but it is still a pretty big difference to leave some customers with speeds in the KB/s where other servers in the same location will be multiple MB/s.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • edited November 2017

@Harambe said:

@slavetothesound said: swizzin

Does it install a firewall that blocks ICMP by default? Haven't used Swizzin, but had good experiences with QuickBox and Atomic Toolkit

Maybe I tripped and fell in some reefers earlier. I was pinging the wrong IP.

I liked quickbox but haven't had much chance to try swizzin. Bought hetzner box last week and couldn't iperf more than 1.5 mb/s from SF Bay area. This will be my trial, unless that Atomic toolkit you mentioned looks better...

This seems like a good one:
    BHS1 - Rack: T01B76
    142.4.209.x/24

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU model            : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores      : 4
    CPU frequency        : 1599.768 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 1863.7 GB (1.5 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 7873 MB (95 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 510 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 36 min
    Load average         : 0.00, 0.00, 0.04
    OS                   : Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 4.9.58-xxxx-std-ipv6-64
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 156 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 156 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 156 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 156.0 MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         11.2MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          6.97MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            1.68MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           2.66MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           5.22MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             1.27MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           7.31MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          9.66MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            8.92MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           4.96MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          6.18MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv6 address            Download Speed
    Linode, Atlanta, GA             2600:3c02::4b           5.98MB/s
    Linode, Dallas, TX              2600:3c00::4b           4.39MB/s
    Linode, Newark, NJ              2600:3c03::4b           11.0MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           2400:8901::4b           1.81MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               2400:8900::4b           1.99MB/s
    Softlayer, San Jose, CA         2607:f0d0:2601:2a::4    10.5MB/s
    Softlayer, Washington, WA       2607:f0d0:3001:78::2    10.9MB/s
    Softlayer, Paris, FR            2a03:8180:1301:8::4     8.96MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        2401:c900:1101:8::2     4.97MB/s
    Softlayer, Tokyo, JP            2401:c900:1001:16::4    5.88MB/s

• shinji257shinji257 Member
    edited November 2017

Use html pre tags instead in order to prevent markdown messing with the formatting.

• Just ordered another one, half price of the one I got a month ago! Which script is that @slavetothesoul ?

Can you request a new server if you send them stats and they're not as good as you'd like?

• edited November 2017

Gordinho said: Which script is that @slavetothesoul ?

https://swizzin.ltd

It's basically Quickbox, redone by a major Quickbox contributor, with him in control of the git repo instead of the apparently too unresponsive Quickbox
    guy. I haven't looked into the drama bits, really.

The main difference is that nothing is automatically installed. Not even the dashboard if you don't want it. But the dashboard is currently the very same quickbox dashboard and it has the same 'box install' command syntax and I think the same apps.

Oh and it uses nginx instead of apache, which I like because I like using that as a reverse proxy when I host some node apps and now I don't have to run them both simultaneously

• @fLoo said:

@Harambe said:

@fLoo said:

@Harambe said:
    Also: which URL did you use?

The one posted above. I just edited a few things.

Apparently I'm blind, I don't see a link from you. I only get the BHS option for the original code posted.

Yes you do. But as a small hint:
    1. CTRL+U (Chrome)
    2. CTRL+F bhs
    3. s/bhs/default

Done. Profit.

Thanks for the hint ;)

Now let's see if they deliver.

• When you set netboot/rescue, do you have to reboot from kimsufi's panel or can you reboot from your server and you'll still get the email with rescue login info?

• Both ways are possible.

Thanked by 1sin
  • Installed FreeBSD 11.1 on my KS-3C (dded over mfsbsd and did a clean install rather then use OVH's template) and this server is smoking fast for $10.82/month :). Thanks again @Thibaut_C for the heads up about this deal!

• GordinhoGordinho Member
    edited November 2017

Are you guys getting your servers delivered? I am still waiting for one ordered 9 hours ago. I used the same account where I already have one server at bhs.

NVM, just got delivered. It's in the 142.4 range. My last one was 198.100 or similar.

• @slavetothesound, I meant the benchmark script ;)

• Got two in IP 142 and 198 which delivered just 5 minutes. HD power on of IP 142 (I3-2130) is just 91 hours but 198 (i3-3xxx) is 18xxx hours.

• Picked up a KS3C, delivered in 5 minutes, good speeds on 142.4.211.xx.

• FrameFrame Member
    edited November 2017

The only bad stuff about kimsufi are OVH and no possibility to buy multiple IP

• @rajprakash said:
    Picked up a KS3C, delivered in 5 minutes, good speeds on 142.4.211.xx.

Mine is also on that block. It would be nice if they could let you clone one server to the other as I will drop my ks3c at original price..

• Gordinho said: Mine is also on that block. It would be nice if they could let you clone one server to the other as I will drop my ks3c at original price..

I hear you. I want to drop my KS2E in GRA and replace by one of these, better speeds to where I am.

• OseriOseri Member
    edited November 2017

@Harambe said:

@Oseri said:
    The prices convinced me to get a KS-3C. Below my bench.sh output right after installing Debian 9, do you think it looks right?

Looks good to me, about what you should expect out of these. My results are almost exactly the same.

Thanks Harambe, good to know it's not of the ones with network speed issues. Only thing is the HDD is not new (around 16000 hours) but no SMART errors yet.

• @rajprakash said:

Gordinho said: Mine is also on that block. It would be nice if they could let you clone one server to the other as I will drop my ks3c at original price..

I hear you. I want to drop my KS2E in GRA and replace by one of these, better speeds to where I am.

I mean I was looking for a lazy version, you can always boot into rescue and dd over ssh. In your case, since you're dealing with different sizes it may be better to rsync/scp given partitions won't be the same I'm guessing.

• Oseri said: Only thing is the HDD is not new (around 16000 hours) but no SMART errors yet.

16000 hours is perfectly fine for a drive

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited November 2017

I must be one of the lucky ones:

• i3-3240
    • 100 Mbps network speeds
    • disk drive of around 6000 hours

I guess I'll keep the server:-)

• sin said: 16000 hours is perfectly fine for a drive

I have a couple of refurb drives with 40k+ hours that are still going strong.

• Just a heads up guys I'm still talking with the OVH guys about the network speed issue. Just ran another iperf for them and it shows the issue as well for them. Running them in rescue mode to eliminate OS issues. I've also mentioned to them about the consistency we have seen with either the subnet or rack location (based on the small amount of detail we got) so they might have a lead to check on there.

Thanked by 1aeba
  • @rajprakash said:

sin said: 16000 hours is perfectly fine for a drive

I have a couple of refurb drives with 40k+ hours that are still going strong.

So nothing to worry about. Let's see how Plex behaves (hopefully better then by current half i7-920)

• @shinji257 you could ask them if its possibly related to whatever they did in ticket #5836123691. I had the same problem, and after 2 months of submitting tickets they fixed it.

Then after the RBX network connectivity loss it went back to being shit, so it's defo something in their router config (which got reset during the blackout...)

• shinji257shinji257 Member
    edited November 2017

Right now they are pointing it at the UK end so I think they suspect another issue. Either way I'll relay them the ticket number in my own ticket as a point to check.

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned RBX so UK issue makes sense now...

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited November 2017

Yeah, my servers are located in RBX. I made some interesting iperf graphs a while ago. Sadly they seem to have disappeared from my discussions-created list. I blame vanilla.

Basically, throughput went down as a function of ping as a straight line on a log-log scale, which shouldn't happen. After they applied their fix I got 90-100mbit from FR to the US back, as opposed to my current 40ish mbit.

Edit: found the graph:

Normal scale:

Double-log scale:

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • I saw the deal and I bought it. Now I don't know what to do with it. Still in idle state. Should I let it expire ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@samm said:
    I saw the deal and I bought it. Now I don't know what to do with it. Still in idle state. Should I let it expire ?

No. Keep paying for it because it's such a great deal! Welcome to LETIDLEntology.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WSS said: it's such a great deal!

Indeed its a great deal in $10.82. I didn't even think when I was ordering it. Seriously, I will have to stay away from LET on BF.

• @samm said:

WSS said: it's such a great deal!

Indeed its a great deal in $10.82. I didn't even think when I was ordering it. Seriously, I will have to stay away from LET on BF.

Nah. You need to end up with some idling Dedis for about a year before you sober up and decide you do just find with a handful of VPS.. but miss your Dedis.