Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VolumeDrive may have DeadPooled - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VolumeDrive may have DeadPooled

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Just to confirm Volume Drive is not moving to ColoCrossing.

• @jbiloh said:
    Just to confirm Volume Drive is not moving to ColoCrossing.

Thats not what I heard...

Thanked by 1Jeffrey
  • @Jack said:
    If you call Josh he tells you why he isn't posting regarding it :)

If Josh is the VD Owner, he might want a class on corporate public relations.. Sticking your head in the sand will do you no good. Cant tell me that VD was a one man operation, surely his employees are looking for jobs.

/popcorn

• @Jack are they replying to Emails?

• @Jack said:
    Spencer you're hearing bull then as Burst and VD have said on WHT they've got a new DC.

It was obvious that was a joke :p

• dnwkdnwk Member

Why it is a hot topic on WHT but so calm here.

• dnwkdnwk Member

In light of this, can i buy insurance for server?

• @dnwk said:
    In light of this, can i buy insurance for server?

Yep. My understanding is that you can get server insurance from any of your company's competitors.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I feel sorry for @Burstnet

Hope they will get their money through court,etc.(If possible)

• dnwkdnwk Member

@ihatetonyy said:
    Yep. My understanding is that you can get server insurance from any of your company's competitors.

Really fun to watch the incident unfold

• dnwkdnwk Member

@DewlanceVPS said:

I feel sorry for Burstnet

Hope they will get their money through court,etc.(If possible)

I know. Everything were going well for burst until then got VD's database. It is kind of grey area.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Eh, Burst.net never had a stellar reputation, not even within the LE area. I think it is the "you call me a jerk, I will act like one" philosophy.

While I would have never bought a server from VD, I didnt expect them to deadpool at all. But I am not watching the NA scene as much as a couple of years ago. Might have missed many things.

• This is mind bending

• What legality or us law allows burstnet to operarte like this from within the usa this seems really messy in every sense of the word.

• @Dorkfiles said:
    What legality or us law allows burstnet to operarte like this from within the usa

Emailing the entire VD client base was probably just the start for Burstnet it seems, see:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8813299&postcount=618

• @josephb Isn't that illegal of them to do?

This hurts both VD and Burst.net and, perhaps VD does not care anymore, but from what I see Burst will end up worse, with a worse image and without recovering anything from the money they were owed, this is very ugly...

edited August 2013

IF VDs problems would be only with Burst, maybe, but I doubt. I fear there is something more behind the scenes and I am not sure they will recover.

As for Burst, bah, they were never seen as clean by the industry, while this is a new low, you wont see anyone running around pulling their hair like this was completely unexpected. Most of their customers have no idea and their prices will always attract new customers who do not care about that. After all, they are in US, no data is really private there.

@Jack said:
    by more behind the scenes I guess you were referring to GoRack issue?

No, I believe this is a capital flow issue, I can read between the lines and I have a lot of experience on how desperate people behave. I would say there are some 50% chances that I am at least in part right about this.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

BurstNET screwed up royally by ranting publicly, poaching clients, and now illegally gaining access to their client database and spam mailing those clients. Ouch.

Burst's posts on WHT fall in the same sleazy business ethics category as Fortatrust's infamous public black list of clients. Ranting publicly about one of your customers, or ex-customers, and disclosing their business and personal details on a public forum, no matter how much money they owe you, is a definite no-no. If a client owes you money or screwed you over it should be handled privately (direct communications with client, and if that doesn't work collections and the legal system).

Gaining unauthorized access to the VD database that was supposedly taken by a "disgruntled employee" and using the info to steal customers from your competitor is a violation of US law and a felony as I posted on WHT,

who is going to want to host with them knowing they stole Volumedrive's client database?

The sad thing is the database theft probably won't hurt them much, if at all, in terms of getting new customers because only a tiny fraction of potential customers will read the WHT/LET threads and be aware of it. A large percentage of the people who do read the WHT thread won't care either because they'll care more about "getting a good deal" than the business ethics of the company they're dealing with.

As for Burst, bah, they were never seen as clean by the industry,

I've been renting servers for as long as Burst has been in business and they're one of the companies I've never considered due to their reputation for 1. mediocre performance and 2. sleazy business tactics.

• I just cancelled some services with burst, luckily they were just LEB's ;)

• Does anyone know if @Jack has any servers with VD?

• VD isn't online yet ? ;)

• not deadpooled yet:

SERVICE MIGRATION STATUS Our new network is up and running; we are now testing. We expect to start bringing servers online soon.

https://twitter.com/volumedrive

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2013

@DomainBop said:
    Besides the lawsuit threats Burst has made, there is also the matter of potentially libelous statements made by Burstnet

Libel can be somewhat difficult to get a judgement for in the US. If there is a grain of fact anywhere, any half-way decent defense lawyer should have no problem getting the claim thrown out.

We'll see how this shakes out, but I find it bit hard to believe Burst is completely making their statements up "off the cuff".

Either way, sure is an interesting bit of drama . . .

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

There's always drama @ let

• LeeLee Veteran

I would wait before jumping to conclusions and would strongly advise against believing anything Josh has to say right now.

Let it play out for a little while longer ;)

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Stopped reading couple days ago from WHT, (Stopped at page 16 ish?) Now I came back and saw 68+ pages.. This is going to be fun.

• smansman Member

Ok so it's been a couple days since "I talked to Josh and he said they will be up tomorrow evening". So did that all turn out to be BS as most expected?

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

BurstNet finally stopped announcing VD's IP space and VD is now single peered to AS33597 InfoRelay Online Systems. InfoRelay has a better network than Burst (which I know from my experience as a Host Virtual customer because their US network relies heavily on InfoRelay)