Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VolumeDrive may have DeadPooled - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VolumeDrive may have DeadPooled

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Jeffrey said:
    I doubt they're gone for good.

Hostrail came back too.....

Thanked by 1alex
  • @Jacob said:
    We lost two nodes but I think all customers will probably just be shipped off to our UK Location and have to start on a fresh VPS

Customers always love it when a host decides to move their VPS to a different country. They love it even more when the move to another country is accompanied with a message of "your data is gone, but here's a nice new shiny VPS". :)

@DomainBop said:

Erm the fact that he went with VD to begin with should answer how many shits he will give about your comment, albeit a perfectly valid and justified comment.

@Jack said:
    I was speaking with Josh just yesterday, they are far from deadpool, he is opening a new facility in NYC not with BurstNET..

LOL

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited August 2013

VD clients should go with burst.net direct? Seems like they can 'recover' your server

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1297013

BurstNET wouldn't do this unless they have completely shut down and by looking at their responses in the downtime thread

• no fucking way.

• @DomainBop said:
    http://bgp.he.net/AS46664#_peers
    If your server comes back up expect changes. See the 2 graphs here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8811032&postcount=49
    ...and then look at the list of their IPv4 peers. Their ONLY IPv4 peer was burstnet... >http://bgp.he.net/AS46664#_peers

No, the routing might change - The Ips however do not as VD is/was ARIN member and use their own blocks.

• @Jack said:
    Well I was speaking to Josh about what he has been up too lately and he was on about opening to a new NYC location... nothing about leaving BurstNET though...

Like the famous Dr. House said, everybody lies!

If VD really pulled their servers the way they did, it seems highly unlikely they're moving them to NYC to get them back up there.

• @mpkossen said:
    If VD really pulled their servers the way they did, it seems highly unlikely they're moving them to NYC to get them back up there.

What they owe burstnet in years, they will that much in a month or 2 if they decides to move in and continue same pricing.

• Looks like Burst.NET already can't wait:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1297013

• Just curious, is Virpus somewhat tied to VD as well? Does that mean Virpus might get hit also?

• How do you allow years of debt to roll up? Sounds like mishandling on the providers side. Though VD is clearly in the wrong here. Still, why let the debt keep rolling? You could simply disconnect their servers, and deny access to the DC until it's paid. Unless I'm missing some details here.

• ryguy222ryguy222 Member
    edited August 2013

@zhuanyi said:
    Just curious, is Virpus somewhat tied to VD as well? Does that mean Virpus might get hit also?

Virpus runs out of Wholesale Internet for their Kansas Location, not sure about where they have their gear for LA, but no they don't use VD as far as I know.

• @ryguy222 said:
    Virpus runs out of Wholesale Internet for their Kansas Location, not sure about where they have their gear for LA, but no they don't use VD as far as I know.

Ah, I guess I confused WSI with Burst...thanks for the clarification.

• Pretty unfortunate for those effected, I hope everyone has backups.

• The elusive @SysAdmin shows himself!

• I'm always lurking.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2013

Wonder how long before we are reading a similar thread about OVH and all the unicorn believers saying it's just a glitch.

• @Jack I just thought it was a general email, as we are on the burstnet mailing list, but I guess not.

@Jack said:
    VD have also made an update on twitter that gear will be back online tomorrow night.

Not going to happen.

• dnwkdnwk Member

what goes around, comes around

• I've eaten so much damn popcorn right now.... Buying in bulk.

Interesting that VD could counter sue burst for millions if they hacked the database of clients.... :)

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • Moving into NYC, would that be with ColoCrossing? Oh god. haha

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2013

@sman said:
    Wonder how long before we are reading a similar thread about OVH and all the unicorn believers saying it's just a glitch.

I am sure it will take many months if that is the case, they just got 200 mil, volumedrive was very far from sitting on that cash. If OVH will screw someone, I am sure teh banks will get the hardest hit.
    In short, OVH can afford those deals while VD probably cant/couldnt.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited August 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    Moving into NYC, would that be with ColoCrossing? Oh god. haha

Ubiquity would be more likely. The spammers and botnets that VolumeDrive hosts would fit right into Ubiquity/Nobis Tech's network.

Wonder how long before we are reading a similar thread about OVH and all the unicorn believers saying it's just a glitch

Probably the same day we see a thread saying GoDaddy or Rackspace have deadpooled. //sarcasm

Why has no one questioned BurstNET for getting Volumedrive's client database and emailing all clients?

Not much to be questioned. The server with VD's customer info was in Burst's DC and...wham...bam...massive privacy violation

• @sman said:

Hmmm... do you really wish it to see it sinking?

• Actually that guy from BurstNet probably committed themselves to a lawsuit. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to publicly threaten to sue another company and not follow through with it. IE Apple could publicly state they will bring a ten billion dollar suit against Samsung and subsequently Samsung's stock price tanks. If Apple does not follow suit, they can be held liable for causing the losses. So Burst saying all this stuff about VD without any information to confirm it, poaching VD's customers and causing financial harm to VD they could find themselves liable.

Anywho VD is not a one man operation so I am surprised that nobody from VD has come out and said anything at all. So due to this Burst can probably say what they want and get away with it at this point.

Course I've seen some posts on Burst's thread they the prices they're quoting VD's customers are out of line. Though Burst has zero obligation to honor VD's pricing at all.

• @FRCorey said:

Anywho VD is not a one man operation so I am surprised that nobody from VD has come out and said anything at all. So due to this Burst can probably say what they want and get away with it at this point.

I can't cite my brief communication with Burst.net representative at WHT (it's in private message), but I will only say it's unlikely Burst mentioned suitcase just to have fun.

Let's see what follows, just that. I, along with other people I know had VPSes at VD (not mission critical), so there are people interested in resolving the situation, in whatever way.

• Has there been any word at all from the people behind VD, today?

• I think this is the funniest (although not really funny) quote in the whole WHT thread:

Burstnet said "BurstNET is moving upstream into enterprise colocation services, "

This is the same company that totally f***edup their recent migration to a new DC and had customers with servers down for days and barely communicated during the move, and they're going into enterprise colocation? Good luck with that!

FRCorey said " I'm pretty sure it's illegal to publicly threaten to sue another company and not follow through with it."

It's not illegal (i.e. a criminal offense) but as you said they could be held liable and sued if their threats cause any damage to the other party. Besides the lawsuit threats Burst has made, there is also the matter of potentially libelous statements made by Burstnet, statements by Burst that could be construed as tortious interference, Burst obtaining the database of VD's customers under questionable circumstances, etc. Burstnet should really STFU as I said earlier.

My TL;DR of the whole VolumeDrive fiasco:
    1. Today's events just reaffirm my belief that VD is a host to be avoided.
    2. Burstnet's good samaritan act in the WHT thread is BS. They're trying to do 2 things in that WHT thread: a. pick the carcass (customers) of a competitor, and b. redeem themselves in the public's eye by playing the good samaritan after their reputation was trashed during their recent migration fiasco