Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup VPS - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup VPS

1235»

Comments

• Also, NetCup seem to be fickle bitches. They literally have "Hetzner" on a wordblock list.

• WSS said: They literally have "Hetzner" on a wordblock list.

Hello saffable, they've it on the list since years and not willing to change it. They getting transit traffic from them and it's always causing issues when posting traceroute output.

The non official reason, hetzner is a competitor, they colocate inside the datacenter parc of hetzner and also started their business with them, when they were smaller.

• lmao now im kinda happy I went with nameless-pole-fuck host and not netcupoffuckingwat

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@twiigl said:
    The non official reason, hetzner is a competitor, they colocate inside the datacenter parc of hetzner and also started their business with them, when they were smaller.

When which was smaller?

#2girls1netcup

• @WSS said:
    Yes, and no. Like I said, remoting into a nearby-neighbor (Hetzner) and running it through that exhibits the same issues, so it's not my thoroughput/latency which is causing it. It's just a shithouse client. :/

I've seen that it happens on a per-connection basis. Often if you retry 2-3 times it will work properly once -- in other cases, you can use the (painful) virtual keyboard as well.

• @WSS said:

@Falzo said:
    not they know of :/ it's a bit unhurried even from germany, so I can imagine how it feels like with added intercontinental latency...

I don't care about the speed. The problem is when I press a key, it randomly repeats several times.

If I didn't have certain keyboard shortcuts memorized, I'd have had a hell of a time installing Stretch on the "big ram" machine. Arrow keys like to repeat 4x, as does the letter 'h'. I even tried tunneling from an external nearby-neighbor, and it's 95% unusable.

For what it's worth, I also haven't had problems with their in-browser terminal, but I also rarely use it. I used it mainly for the initial install.

In any case, it works much better for me than that in-browser Java-based terminal that providers used to offer a few years ago. Happily, that one has mostly disappeared by now.

• @advarisk said:
    I've seen that it happens on a per-connection basis. Often if you retry 2-3 times it will work properly once -- in other cases, you can use the (painful) virtual keyboard as well.

That doesn't help all that much when it still does the same stupid thing and register/unregisters keypresses as two separate functions that are called externally. It's asinine.

@angstrom said:
    For what it's worth, I also haven't had problems with their in-browser terminal, but I also rarely use it. I used it mainly for the initial install.

Yeah, me too. Kind of difficult to use, though, when you're setting a password, you press z, and get it repeated 5 times.

In any case, it works much better for me than that in-browser Java-based terminal that providers used to offer a few years ago. Happily, that one has mostly disappeared by now.

Ugh god. The only good thing about other/java VNC implementations is that the IP and port are usually exposed in the code since it's designed to be used in such a way- so you can use your own client, rather than being stuck with a fucking HTML5 turd-on-a-stick.

• Does netcup give you internal ips?

• @Makkesk8 said:
    Does netcup give you internal ips?

• Makkesk8 said: Does netcup give you internal ips?

You mean like hetzner? No they don't, but you can go for your own VLAN with them, which is an extra https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/root-server-erweiterungen.php#hardware

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@twiigl said:

Makkesk8 said: Does netcup give you internal ips?

You mean like hetzner? No they don't, but you can go for your own VLAN with them, which is an extra https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/root-server-erweiterungen.php#hardware

Is that "VLAN" config of €15 per month expense by host, or by VLAN? Either way, it seems that it may end up being cheaper just going colo..

• WSS said: Is that "VLAN" config of €15 per month expense by host, or by VLAN?

I'm not sure, because I'm not using it. According to the product description, I guess you need per VM a dedicated NIC and then can book the VLAN option "globally" for all machines.

• @twiigl said:
    I'm not sure, because I'm not using it. According to the product description, I guess you need per VM a dedicated NIC and then can book the VLAN option "globally" for all machines.

Not very cheap.

• WSS said: Not very cheap.

fucking expensive to be honest, just for adding a vlan in my opinion :D

• Agreed. Fucking Germans.

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

Hey, be fair: VLAN is an american technology. It needs to be imported expensively!

Thanked by 2WSS steny
  • Holy shit, @southy made a joke, and it made sense!

Thanked by 1southy
  • @WSS said:
    Agreed. Fucking Germans.

zat is za new german strattegy. zey will robb za worrld blind wiz zeir VLAN add on pricing, haha!

Thanked by 1WSS
  • VE HAFF VAYS OF MAKINK YOU PRIVATE.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

Flan, it'snot-caramel.