Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup VPS - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup VPS

Comments

• @southy said:

@angstrom said:

No, both the "Root-Server" line (which @raindog308 has) and the "vServer (VPS)" line (which I have) currently allow for custom ISOs.

Interesting.
    I have an "VPS Easter 2016" (the one with the crappy performance) and it specifically says:
    "custom Images: No, only from Root S upwards".

But it could be that that's just a textual description in an outdated product which hasn't been updated for a long time.

I got my vServer in February of this year, so it's possible that by then netcup had decided to "upgrade" the vServer line to allow for custom ISOs.

If you look on this page, https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vps.php#features , you'll see that "Eigene Images" (literally, 'own images') is checked across the whole "vServer VPS" line.

• i miss hunting eggs on their page.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @ehab said:
    i miss hunting eggs on their page.

You can start hunting right away :-) ...
    ...I'd just assume it might take a couple of months until you'll find some :-)

But don't let that stop you from hunting!

We'll see you back here next spring then :-)

• @southy said:

@angstrom said:

No, both the "Root-Server" line (which @raindog308 has) and the "vServer (VPS)" line (which I have) currently allow for custom ISOs.

Interesting.
    I have an "VPS Easter 2016" (the one with the crappy performance) and it specifically says:
    "custom Images: No, only from Root S upwards".

But it could be that that's just a textual description in an outdated product which hasn't been updated for a long time.

I can confirm, that at least for vservers from this year the controlpanel is the same and offers the same features as for their rootservers. probably about time to kick that old box anyway ;-)

• @southy said:

hopefully, this year marks the final year of wasting money on idle servers.. enough.. i will try to use what i have. Only temptations i must resist are for dedicated if they appear on BF for ovh or online... lets see what happens

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @ehab said:

@southy said:

hopefully, this year marks the final year of wasting money on idle servers.. enough.. i will try to use what i have. Only temptations i must resist are for dedicated if they appear on BF for ovh or online... lets see what happens

Thanked by 3ehab Ympker vimalware
  • @southy said: And don‘t forget they usually have very nice advent calendars with deducted stuff in. Over the last years they always had a different item in it each day, only available that day... and all pomos available on the 24th then once more.

Here's the Advent page in advance to bookmark: https://www.netcup.de/adventskalender/ :-)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • yeah...

• @angstrom said:
    Here's the Advent page in advance to bookmark: https://www.netcup.de/adventskalender/ :-)

Who who, easy with the horses here: I haven't even made Plätzchen or bought gingerbread yet!
    And all those gifts for the kids that still need to be made!

Don't get me started with Adventskalender before time!

You Sir, go away!

• Can confirm they did not waive VAT and I have since cancelled my order

• @southy said: Don't get me started with Adventskalender before time!

For now, you only have to bookmark it. :-)

• @mikewazar said:
    Can confirm they did not waive VAT and I have since cancelled my order

Okay, well, this is at least consistent behavior on the part of netcup with respect to non-EU residents, and it confirms the point of view according to which netcup thinks of servers/VPSes as services provided locally (akin to pedicures).

Thanked by 2Falzo Amitz
  • How would you rate Netcup vs. Ramnode?

Netcup seems cheaper attractive. How does their performance compare?

• @dergelbe said:
    How would you rate Netcup vs. Ramnode?

Ive only used Netcup VPS/Roots so far but their performance and especially "dedicated cores" along with the pricing is superb.

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • @dergelbe said:
    How would you rate Netcup vs. Ramnode?

It's quite some time ago I had a (very small) service with ramnode. as far as I remember performance has always been decent, can't recall any problems or issues. yet their pricing, esp. KVM is nowhere near netcup. they offer different locations though but I'd never pay 30-40$ for any 4GB RAM service or alike...

maybe their support (which I never needed) makes it worth for customers needing more help with an "unmanaged" service ;-)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

I still have one of their last specials:

KVM with 2 dedicated cores of an E5-2670v3,
    6 GB RAM,
    640 GB SAS

for EUR 6,71 per month (excl. VAT). I really cannot complain at all. It caused zero trouble during the last 13 months. I will probably cancel it soon, not because it was bad, but obly because I see no further use for it. If it is possible to transfer a Netcup server and somebody is interested - contact me.

• @Amitz said:
    I still have one of their last specials:

KVM with 2 dedicated cores of an E5-2670v3,
    6 GB RAM,
    640 GB SAS

for EUR 6,71 per month (excl. VAT). I really cannot complain at all. It caused zero trouble during the last 13 months. I will probably cancel it soon, not because it was bad, but obly because I see no further use for it. If it is possible to transfer a Netcup server and somebody is interested - contact me.

I'll take it, if it's transferrable.

• WSS said: I'll take it, if it's transferrable.

It would be EUR 7,99 (incl. VAT), payable 3 months in advance. Meaning EUR 23,97 every 3 months. Still interested? I would then investigate if a transfer is possible. I never take VAT into account because I do not really have to pay it. (Ordering as a german company, I get the VAT back).

• @Amitz said:

WSS said: I'll take it, if it's transferrable.

It would be EUR 7,99 (incl. VAT), payable 3 months in advance. Meaning EUR 23,97 every 3 months. Still interested? I would then investigate if a transfer is possible. I never take VAT into account because I do not really have to pay it. (Ordering as a german company, I get the VAT back).

Possibly. Just had netCup validate my account not that long ago.

• WSS said: Possibly.

Is that a "Yes"? ;-) Should I ask netcup support?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

They just called me- I didn't think to ask about transfer. Let me get my .de domain setup, and I'll hit you back if someone hasn't taken it by then. I'm still sitting in a stasis.

They seemed to be quite amused to speak to an American with a holy-shit-is-that-German name. He kept faltering between German and English. First cold-call that got my surname correct on the first try! :D

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2017

Alois Schicklgruber, is that you?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WSS said: They seemed to be quite amused to speak to an American with a holy-shit-is-that-German name.

I'd have thought they'd be used to meeting German-Americans...they certainly met plenty of them in the first half of the 20th century. Didn't even need to leave home :-)

Something like 1/6th of the US is German by ethnicity.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@Amitz

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: They seemed to be quite amused to speak to an American with a holy-shit-is-that-German name.

I'd have thought they'd be used to meeting German-Americans...they certainly met plenty of them in the first half of the 20th century. Didn't even need to leave home :-)

Dude.. too soon!

Thanked by 2Amitz vimalware
  • Damn, looks like I'm too late. 640 GB for 8€ sounds nice.

• Is there some simple way of connecting to VNC on an RS? The in-browser html5 version is abysmal- key bounce detection is on-par with a 1970s home video game, and the refresh is slightly less impressive.

• @WSS said:
    Is there some simple way of connecting to VNC on an RS? The in-browser html5 version is abysmal- key bounce detection is on-par with a 1970s home video game, and the refresh is slightly less impressive.

not they know of :/ it's a bit unhurried even from germany, so I can imagine how it feels like with added intercontinental latency...

• @Falzo said:
    not they know of :/ it's a bit unhurried even from germany, so I can imagine how it feels like with added intercontinental latency...

I don't care about the speed. The problem is when I press a key, it randomly repeats several times.

If I didn't have certain keyboard shortcuts memorized, I'd have had a hell of a time installing Stretch on the "big ram" machine. Arrow keys like to repeat 4x, as does the letter 'h'. I even tried tunneling from an external nearby-neighbor, and it's 95% unusable.

• @WSS said:

@Falzo said:

I don't care about the speed. The problem is when I press a key, it randomly repeats several times.

If I didn't have certain keyboard shortcuts memorized, I'd have had a hell of a time installing Stretch on the "big ram" machine. Arrow keys like to repeat 4x, as does the letter 'h'. I even tried tunneling from an external nearby-neighbor, and it's 95% unusable.

interesting enough I don't have that problem. but I have seen exactly such behaviour on other VNCs, just can't remember where - maybe even on one of my own proxmox installs... could that be related to a sloppy home connection/bad routing with packet loss or whatever?

• @Falzo said:
    interesting enough I don't have that problem. but I have seen exactly such behaviour on other VNCs, just can't remember where - maybe even on one of my own proxmox installs... could that be related to a sloppy home connection/bad routing with packet loss or whatever?

Yes, and no. Like I said, remoting into a nearby-neighbor (Hetzner) and running it through that exhibits the same issues, so it's not my thoroughput/latency which is causing it. It's just a shithouse client. :/

Thanked by 1Falzo