Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup VPS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup VPS

Comments

• @Falzo said:

angstrom said: I just wanted to say that the tax treaty within the EU applies generally, no matter how electronic services are conceived

no they are not :-)

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/telecommunications-broadcasting-electronic-services_en

and specific informations about germany (esp. read the first paragraph ;-))

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/moss_2017_de_en.pdf

PS: but I agree it's a pain in the ... for most people that have to deal with the whole VAT things at all

I have to confess that I don't really see anything there that clearly contradicts something that I said (but I admit that my formulations are that of a non-expert), but we also don't have to pursue this further. :-)

Maybe just a simple question, in order to focus on the particular issue here: in your understanding of the German/EU VAT laws, is netcup right to ask @raindog308 to pay German VAT for his server?

I was simply trying to say that there's a point of view, not yet rejected by a legal decision (as far as I'm aware), according to which netcup is right to ask non-EU residents to pay German VAT for servers/VPSes. Do you agree with this?

• angstrom said: I was simply trying to say that there's a point of view, not yet rejected by a legal decision (as far as I'm aware), according to which netcup is right to ask non-EU residents to pay German VAT for servers/VPSes. Do you agree with this?

yes I agree with this ;-)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

@Falzo got any tips/hints for a 512MB/10GB/500GB or similar service? Figure I'll move my shit off OVH and just want cheap and sustainable- a /32v4 and /128v6 would do me fine. Going to put the internet on AutoPilot and return to real life.

• mikewazar said: Might be worth picking up, any clarification on bandwidth?

about a year ago they changed their policies regarding that and the actual situation should be this:

Wir bieten je Root-Server der Generation 7 SE mindestens 10 TB Traffic unlimitiert an. Wird mehr Traffic verbraucht, findet eine Limitierung nur statt, wenn durchgehend über mindestens eine Stunde mehr als 80 MBit/s Bandbreite belegt wurden.

which says that on their rootserver product range you are allowed to use 10TB (per month) and only after that might be limited to 10Mbps if you constantly use more than 80Mbps for over an hour. I never came to that point and even with an older generation rootserver which is supposed to have other limits I never got to the point of any limitation at all.

their vserver range is said to be limited to 100Mbps which also seems to be only a soft-limit (if a limit at all) ... my best guess would be that they have those (quite fair) regulations in place just in case they need to handle abusers properly.

• @WSS said:
    @Falzo got any tips/hints for a 512MB/10GB/500GB or similar service? Figure I'll move my shit off OVH and just want cheap and sustainable- a /32v4 and /128v6 would do me fine. Going to put the internet on AutoPilot and return to real life.

I'd probably try if @Jack , @AnthonySmith or @mikho are willing and able to help you out with something cheap? just go and ask nicely via PM so no one else knows ^^

if that's not working I'd most likely use @Ultravps for that, their cheapest one is 2€ per month (and as far as I know they do deduct VAT for people outside europe, so more like 1,70) - also because they have NL and US locations too. it's a 6month minimum contract term on that though. I can confirm they provide a /124 IPv6 or something like that.
    (signature, additional discount, blabla ;-) ;-))

on the other hand the smallest netcup thingy is about 1.99 but on 12month, and you'll get 1GB for that... (only germany though)

speedykvm has 512MB in Dallas at 24/y so might be interesting if they come up with 30% again (blackfriday?)

generally put I wouldn't be willing to pay more than 20 bucks at all, but get at least your requested specs on a KVM and nothing less ;-)

(damn, that sounds quite as bad as el Cheapo back in the days I guess...)

• So the promo is just a lower price on longer contract commitments yea?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

Falzo said: I'd probably try if Jack , @AnthonySmith or mikho are willing and able to help you out with something cheap? just go and ask nicely via PM so no one else knows ^^

@WSS

You want KVM or is OVZ ok?

New NVMe SSD lineup is rolling out in the UK: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=28

The 512mb plan is only €3.50 p/quarter.

Features:

E3-1270v6
    DDOS Protection
    Pure NVMe SSD
    Fully automatic daily backup 

KVM line will be ready end of Nov (hopefully).

Thanked by 1WSS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2017
  • Similar score to my 12" Macbook LMFAO
    Excellent perf for the $

• @mikewazar: That's interesting (but possibly misleading). Did you make the order to see what actually happens?

• @angstrom said:
    @mikewazar: That's interesting (but possibly misleading). Did you make the order to see what actually happens?

Yep, order done but I have not paid, they are doing a verification. I am South African for what it's worth.

• @mikewazar said:

@angstrom said:
    @mikewazar: That's interesting (but possibly misleading). Did you make the order to see what actually happens?

Yep, order done but I have not paid, they are doing a verification. I am South African for what it's worth.

And the final billing price doesn't include German VAT? In other words, netcup has deducted the German VAT from the advertised price (which includes German VAT)? Or is the final billing price not yet clear?

• @angstrom said:

@mikewazar said:

@angstrom said:

And the final billing price doesn't include German VAT? In other words, netcup has deducted the German VAT from the advertised price (which includes German VAT)? Or is the final billing price not yet clear?

Not yet clear as I have not yet received an invoice. Will post here when I do.

Thanked by 2angstrom Falzo
  • So looking at the annual contract @ 4.99EURO I'd be paying some cents over 4EURO/pm for this.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @mikewazar said:
    So looking at the annual contract @ 4.99EURO I'd be paying some cents over 4EURO/pm for this.

Interesting. If that turns out to be the case, then my earlier hypothesis about netcup's charging everyone outside of the EU German VAT flies out the window. :-(

Perhaps they charge US customers German VAT for some reason? But note that netcup doesn't have a US presence.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I'm assuming NetCup only does account verification during their German office time, so I'll only update ya'll tomorrow.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • the message you saw speaks for a (partially) automated system for adjusting VAT which would be in compliance to the MOSS regulations, esp. for inside europe where they would need to charge the VAT of the customers country. but only those from EU where VAT applies ... there is no obvious reason to me why they would then go and charge VAT to anyone from the US :/

• @Jack said:

@WSS said:
    @Falzo got any tips/hints for a 512MB/10GB/500GB or similar service? Figure I'll move my shit off OVH and just want cheap and sustainable- a /32 v4 and /128v6 would do me fine. Going to put the internet on AutoPilot and return to real life.

Whats your budget?

Not much.

@AnthonySmith said:

Falzo said: I'd probably try if Jack , @AnthonySmith or mikho are willing and able to help you out with something cheap? just go and ask nicely via PM so no one else knows ^^

@WSS

You want KVM or is OVZ ok?

New NVMe SSD lineup is rolling out in the UK: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=28

The 512mb plan is only €3.50 p/quarter.

Features:

> E3-1270v6
    > DDOS Protection
    > Pure NVMe SSD
    > Fully automatic daily backup 
    > 

KVM line will be ready end of Nov (hopefully).

I'd prefer KVM, but only because although I live with it- I hate Linux.

• mikewazarmikewazar Member
    edited November 2017

Only because I am a cheap fuck from LET:

(monthly | annual | less vat | less Falzo's voucher)

4.99 * 12 * 0.81 - 4.20 = 44.3028 EURO/year

So I would essentially be paying 3.69 EURO/pm for this box... fuck me

Thanked by 4Falzo Ympker chrisp Aidan
  • Guys and @WSS if you are interested in the netcup lineup don‘t forget the 5€ new customer vouchers. And don‘t forget they usually have very nice advent calendars with deducted stuff in.
    Over the last years they always had a different item in it each day, only available that day... and all pomos available on the 24th then once more.
    So if you are not in a hurry it might be worth the while to wait another 4 weeks.

I‘m also in to replace 2pcs HDD-RS with SSD-ones :)

Thanked by 2Falzo Ympker
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Oh, that's a good point to add...here are your options at Netcup:

I didn't look to see about a custom ISO yet.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Do you have gPXE access? If so, that doesn't matter.

• @Falzo said:

angstrom said: I was simply trying to say that there's a point of view, not yet rejected by a legal decision (as far as I'm aware), according to which netcup is right to ask non-EU residents to pay German VAT for servers/VPSes. Do you agree with this?

yes I agree with this ;-)

Weirdly enough, I got VAT waived off. IIRC, I had to register as a company and had to show the company incorporation status and VAT details (linked to our government website, they didn't require scans).

• @advarisk said: Weirdly enough, I got VAT waived off. IIRC, I had to register as a company and had to show the company incorporation status and VAT details (linked to our government website, they didn't require scans).

Well, if you registered as a company, then it would be expected that VAT would be waived.

• @raindog308 said: I didn't look to see about a custom ISO yet.

Yes, netcup allows one to upload a custom ISO as well.

• southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

@angstrom said:

@raindog308 said: I didn't look to see about a custom ISO yet.

Careful: They differentiate between their "VPN product line" (=no custom ISOs, if I recall correctly?!?) and their "Root Servers" - that is the ones with the dedicated CPU cores. Those do allow for custom ISOs.
    Check if your desired product name starts with "RS xxx".

Also, on a sidenote:
    They have a new promotion I just note:

.de domain for 1,68 EUR / year + 2 EUR setup.
    Limited amount and only until 8.11. so be quick!

Including VAT, just for the record :-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2017

@raindog308 said:
    Oh, that's a good point to add...here are your options at Netcup:

I didn't look to see about a custom ISO yet.

if you click top right 'Optionen' and after that 'Einstellungen' on the left you'll get to a screen where you get the chance to change the language (Sprache) from german to english ;-)

also the above option you saw are most likely just the few premade templates they offer. there are quite a lot more ISOs for use as virtual DVD available (under Media/DVD) - from those you can easily install most of the common OS including GRML and Windows etc.

PS: that's inside their https://www.servercontrolpanel.de/, not the general one (https://ccp.netcup.net)

• @southy said:

@angstrom said:

@raindog308 said: I didn't look to see about a custom ISO yet.

Careful: They differentiate between their "VPN product line" (=no custom ISOs, if I recall correctly?!?) and their "Root Servers" - that is the ones with the dedicated CPU cores. Those do allow for custom ISOs.
    Check if your desired product name starts with "RS xxx".

No, both the "Root-Server" line (which @raindog308 has) and the "vServer (VPS)" line (which I have) currently allow for custom ISOs.

As an anecdote, when I tried to install an uploaded NetBSD 7.0 ISO on my netcup vServer back in February, the disk wasn't recognized for some reason. However, I decided not to pursue this issue and installed an uploaded Slackware ISO instead, which worked well.

Thanked by 3uptime Falzo vimalware
  • southysouthy Member
    edited November 2017

@angstrom said:

No, both the "Root-Server" line (which @raindog308 has) and the "vServer (VPS)" line (which I have) currently allow for custom ISOs.

Interesting.
    I have an "VPS Easter 2016" (the one with the crappy performance) and it specifically says:
    "custom Images: No, only from Root S upwards".

But it could be that that's just a textual description in an outdated product which hasn't been updated for a long time.