Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you start bitcoin mining if power is free ? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will you start bitcoin mining if power is free ?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2017

randvegeta said: I think it's not too dissimilar to the OP's situation

It is very dissimilar.
    Disclaimer: I think any power usage over the bare necessity is a waste and immoral because we all share the cost of pollution.
    That being said, when you have free power as part of your employment contract, you are free to use your allocation as you like. In the past miners and power company workers here had unlimited power free, now only some part of it is free, over that you pay, but they are 100% entitled to use the free part for whatever they wish, it is more or less part of their salary.
    Sure, if he is not entitled to that, if simply uses the "office" power supply without explicit permission from the management, then that is not OK, same as abusing shared resources.

To answer the question, mining is much less profitable for me than speculating the currency. I know how to do it but i dont want to, following the prices once a day and buying/selling is a heck more power efficient and has less risk, because the miners have similar risks with fluctuations plus they have some hardware which deprecates and can break/become inefficient and is much harder to get rid of at some reasonable price when the price of the currency falls below some threshold.

• I will not because it still needs a lot of big investment and I don't think it is a good idea to search for free power, if you are seriously planning to go in this business.

• @Clouvider said:

@noaman said:

@angstrom said:

@datanoise said:

angstrom said: There are costs and worries associated with mining that go beyond the cost of electricity.

Indeed but it you have a low income job or no job at all (or just enjoy this stuff) - or if the currency of your country is fucked up - it's economicaly well worth it, as we see currently in Venezuela and many "poor" countries, even if it's an social and ecological nightmare in poorer countries or poorer area within the same "poor" country, as per the technological world rules..

I understand what you're saying, and just to note that I wasn't trying to argue against mining. I was just saying that there are issues beyond electricity to consider. :-)

The OP (= @noaman) didn't give much information about what he would try to mine or how, and most of this thread is focused on whether he's a good boy or not for thinking of using free electricity for mining, so no conclusion was reached about whether mining in his case would be worthwhile or not. But perhaps it would be.

I was about to write it in comment but the thread detailed instead of focusing on hardware issues people started judging me whether it was even ethical to mine when you are not charged any money

Sometimes i feel they are jealous (sarcasm)

Now since you have asked

Now i was looking to get ati 7990 sort of.power hungry gpus that simply consume lot of power and are cheap but have lot of processing power as performance/watt is something i am not considering :-)

ASIC miners are.out of my wallet

I just want the rig to be safe in this way that if it doesn't work out i can still use the parts for other things

Like you can play games on a gpu :-)

Jealous ??? You gotta be kidding.

We just don’t want to have our names tied to the forum that’s focusing on scamming employers or bullet proof copyright hosting @cociu style.

Simple as that.

You never read the part jn the brackets did you

• HiFormanceHiFormance Member, Host Rep

Just use solar panels to power your ASIC units :)

• Maounique said: there are much fewer chances to manage this in Venezuela

Well people usually use graphic cards in Venezuela, and they mine eth or whatever is more profitable. They hide their mining activity pretending to be mere gamers, to avoid their hardware to be seized by the cops.. who also run mining facilities with said hardware (well, from what I've read / heard - I'm not living there)

• noaman said: Now i was looking to get ati 7990 sort of.power hungry gpus that simply consume lot of power and are cheap but have lot of processing power as performance/watt is something i am not considering :-)

Yeah, going for the cheapest available second hand in your area is probably your best bet if you can manage enough air flow around your gear, given that you have access to huge amounts of free electricity. Focusing on more power efficient gear can't hurt though.

• @datanoise said:

noaman said: Now i was looking to get ati 7990 sort of.power hungry gpus that simply consume lot of power and are cheap but have lot of processing power as performance/watt is something i am not considering :-)

Yeah, going for the cheapest available second hand in your area is probably your best bet if you can manage enough air flow around your gear, given that you have access to huge amounts of free electricity. Focusing on more power efficient gear can't hurt though.

I am going to keep it in the open

Via risers

• I didn't mean cooling your GPUs, but the room where they'll be.

If there is only a few GPUs it should be no big deal, but on some video I've seen people have several of those and.. you want a serious air flow if you do that and live in a warm area as most of pakistan is!

• Kinda unrelated, but I pay for 300Amps of power at my data center. I am using 120Amps right now. I'd love to use the other 180Amps I already pay for and am not using! I need some rigs. I'll host em if you split the profits!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • edited October 2017

If you want to make money from virtual currency you are better off buying it than mining for it.

Last time I looked into this, it was a never ending game of upgrading hardware because everyone else is doing the same thing in order to try keep generating the same level of profit. Even if you can get the power for free, you won't get the hardware for free, and the hardware that can still earn a few pennies per day today won't even do that a few months from now

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2017

Maounique said: The level of taxation within EU varies widely, some countries have very low rates (fixed across the spectrum, from income, rent, agricultural to corporate tax) such as 10% in Bulgaria, 16% in Romania, etc.

The EU is not too bad IF you can move freely or had luck in being born in a tax heaven (not haven lol) - you paid this other ways though as like Bulgarian, or you just had insane luck to be born in Luxembourg.

Staying 190 days+/year on the coast in like Croatia or Cyprus is simple with West EU+ income and remote job, then just move for dull winter to nice central/west EU and back early next year. This is both cost effective (as eg. DE living expenses are much higher than RO or HR) and tax efficient (total HR tax is somewhere around 20-30% with connected lawyers and good usage of free limits/local purchase incentives/EU exports etc., RO similar from what i know).

The 10% in BG is also a myth as this adds up for freelance/self employment - you pay at least 20% on your income this way, not much less than in Cyprus which has much better living quality. I could not live in Sofia, maybe on the coast though.

{rant}

The West, and largely also the East, punishes people for earning more than average money by higher taxes which in my opinion makes absolutely no sense.

Practical example - I would gladly pay the base rate of Austria (which is already 35%) and maintain my primary residence there, but seriously this is not fair and with the EU advantage (and local staff here, but even without if one can move) it would be just dumb to pay this.

I do not see much value added in Austria's ~50% from 30% (HR) and from higher start absolutely nothing eg. from 60-65% (SE and outside EU eg. Israel) vs. ~40-45% (ES, CZ, SI).

Paying income tax is obviously needed for society and government function, but it should be realistic in it's base already, leaving aside all of the loopholes open to only "ultra rich" here at all people complain about.
    {/rant}

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @WSS - Do you use your work PC to check your personal emails/post on LET/do anything that's non-work related? If so you are stealing your employer's internet connection and the electricity as well.

I think we should stop judge others before we look at ourselves.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2017

spammy said: @WSS - Do you use your work PC to check your personal emails/post on LET/do anything that's non-work related? If so you are stealing your employer's internet connection and the electricity as well.

In fact, no, this usage is by now in most countries either legal or must be announced beforehand. With no announce the usage is not explicitly forbidden and cannot be used as reason to fire.

Welcome to the EU, the courts weight costs against profit which at few Kbit internet is at most a few EUR/mo. Not comparable here.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@spammy said:
    @WSS - Do you use your work PC to check your personal emails/post on LET/do anything that's non-work related? If so you are stealing your employer's internet connection and the electricity as well.

Actually , no, I don't. I also think the employer shouldn't have to pay you for time you are sitting on your phone and chatting on Facebook. Since the early 2000s, I've set policies of what you can, and cannot do. Personal devices do not get access to the network (unless you're one of the top few untouchables who don't have to follow rules), and god forbid you don't have a good reason for needing to install an application for use. You're pretty stuck if you don't setup an ssh tunnel for yourself, and if you do without explicit OK- you're fired for circumventing security.

edited October 2017

WSS said: Personal devices do not get access to the network

And that is how it should be, but people still transfer data via USB and use their own connection to take it out. You cannot really prevent people from bringing their phone at work, unless you are NSA or similar.
    Employee time is also a correct issue, you can sack them for being lazy or not working here too, but not really claim they did damage by using your internet to send an email or post something unrelated to work.

Security at the work place is a nightmare these days, I can probably circumvent all but the most stringent protocols, and even the latter I could but in that case they have probably silent alarms in places so i would be caught sooner or later.

• @WSS said:

@spammy said:
    @WSS - Do you use your work PC to check your personal emails/post on LET/do anything that's non-work related? If so you are stealing your employer's internet connection and the electricity as well.

Actually , no, I don't. I also think the employer shouldn't have to pay you for time you are sitting on your phone and chatting on Facebook. Since the early 2000s, I've set policies of what you can, and cannot do. Personal devices do not get access to the network (unless you're one of the top few untouchables who don't have to follow rules), and god forbid you don't have a good reason for needing to install an application for use. You're pretty stuck if you don't setup an ssh tunnel for yourself, and if you do without explicit OK- you're fired for circumventing security.

I think you are intentionally mis-interpreting my point. Can you say, you have spent EVERY single second you have while you are at work doing ONLY the work stuff?

• @WSS said:

@spammy said:

My case is different I will be working when my coin mining rig is running....

It's just like preparing a presentation on computer while downloading G. O T in the background

• In India too, people working in power plants get free electricity. I don't think OP is stealing.

• @Luke007 said:
    In India too, people working in power plants get free electricity. I don't think OP is stealing.

+1

• WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@Maounique said:
    And that is how it should be, but people still transfer data via USB and use their own connection to take it out. You cannot really prevent people from bringing their phone at work, unless you are NSA or similar.

You can block signals, or force them to leave their phone outside of the working area. Amazon does that to their ship-droids. They do everything but strips earch them.

Employee time is also a correct issue, you can sack them for being lazy or not working here too, but not really claim they did damage by using your internet to send an email or post something unrelated to work.

You can block everything and whitelist what is required, but that's also a big pain. Generally it helps to just keep good logs of what's going through the filters, and anyone seen fucking around gets a warning, then the boot. The others fall in place, or also get the boot.

Security at the work place is a nightmare these days, I can probably circumvent all but the most stringent protocols, and even the latter I could but in that case they have probably silent alarms in places so i would be caught sooner or later.

Yup. No longer are people wasting 5 minutes between work watching Joe Cartoon.

@spammy said:
    I think you are intentionally mis-interpreting my point. Can you say, you have spent EVERY single second you have while you are at work doing ONLY the work stuff?

No, you're trying to make the worlds dumbest argument, and I'm not having any of it. Now get back to work before I charge you for the oxygen you're wasting.

Thanked by 1ricardo
    edited October 2017

WSS said: You can block signals, or force them to leave their phone outside of the working area.

You need to block signals and force them to leave phone out. But I can assure you a determined spy will get around everything with consumer grade electronics. Or they can simply use steganography or similar methods to hide whatever data they plan to steal in other streams seemingly innocuous.

WSS said: Generally it helps to just keep good logs of what's going through the filters,

You may be able to block facebook and other things which are not worth it, but economic spies will do around.

I am personally not worried my employee is posting pictures from his vacation in his work time, I am worried he will steal the leads or the software or technical specifications etc. If he wastes time his work will suffer and results too, therefore will get passed on promotions or simply replaced naturally, without me having to waste time and money to police his time.
    On the other hand, I could have a genius which can do in one day what others do in 2 and have time for fun playing hide&seek with my countermeasures, so I would have no incentive to fire them but to dismantle the spying protocols and fire the people which maintain them if i want to save money. Or simply not bother int he first place, sometimes people are more loyal to an employer that trusts them, if you have to police your workforce, that is usually a sign something is going backwards.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • spammyspammy Member
    edited October 2017

@WSS said:

@spammy said:

No, you're trying to make the worlds dumbest argument, and I'm not having any of it. Now get back to work before I charge you for the oxygen you're wasting.

No, I am simply responding to dumb moral argument here. Someone seems to put himself to the highest moral ground when it comes to others, and simply try to run away from the argument when the issue is being pointed at himself.

Again, my point was very clear, take a look at yourself in the mirror before accusing others for "stealing" from employer or call people thieves.

I am not on the side with OP, but your accusations makes me feel you are not very different from those babies who cry "scammers" within 30s after their servers are offline.

• WSSWSS Member

@spammy said:

@WSS said:

@spammy said:

No, I am simply responding to dumb moral argument here. Someone seems to put himself to the highest moral ground when it comes to others, and simply try to run away from the argument when the issue is being pointed at himself.

No, you're being stupid. Doing anything "not focused" on work such as breathing or getting coffee is quite a bit different than placing hardware that is yours during company time, using company resources.

Again, my point was very clear, take a look at yourself in the mirror before accusing others for "stealing" from employer or call people thieves.

No, it really wasn't- and I'm sorry if I happen to have a slightly higher standard for myself and others than you do. I'm not changing to make you feel better about yourself.

I am not on the side with OP, but your accusations makes me feel you are not very different from those babies who cry "scammers" within 30s after their servers are offline.

... you're even worse than I thought. Thanks for never reading any of my other posts, and continuing to do so in the future!

• WSS said: No, it really wasn't- and I'm sorry if I happen to have a slightly higher standard for myself and others than you do. I'm not changing to make you feel better about yourself.

Again, look at yourself in the mirror before accusing the others, seems you either have difficulties understanding that line or you are too arrogant to understand it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

144 comments later...I can't believe you people are still talking about all this :-)

Thanked by 3Clouvider ricardo scpal
  • @Luke007 said:
    In India too, people working in power plants get free electricity. I don't think OP is stealing.

Not unlimited supply, there should be limit. Everyone working in Govt. power companies gets free electricity but in limited amount i.e, 200 units/month.

• @raindog308 said:
    144 comments later...I can't believe you people are still talking about all this :-)

This thread has been derailed

There are less comments about bitcoin then there are of bashing each other

Just give it a rest

Work ethics varies y from place to place and it also Varies w. R. T profession

noaman said: Work ethics

Are an interesting subject as well as employee surveillance, control and coercion in this day and age. They are very related to motivations and the IT and C sector.
    I have seen many people in startups make big mistakes because they have no clue about HR management and psychology.

• All this deliberation and the OP could've profited by 15 cents by now.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Maounique said:

noaman said: Work ethics

Are an interesting subject as well as employee surveillance, control and coercion in this day and age. They are very related to motivations and the IT and C sector.
    I have seen many people in startups make big mistakes because they have no clue about HR management and psychology.

To some extent you are correct

There is cultural diversity and people need t
    to understand thay if something is considered good or okay in some region there exists quite a probability that people in another part of the world will simply not accept it

It all depends upon environment

Do note that i guess i am only one on this forum who works at the power plant

Work ethics and work atmosphere is very different in this field