Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you start bitcoin mining if power is free ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will you start bitcoin mining if power is free ?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 If he wasn't acting so subversive on this and admitting that he hasn't bothered to ask because "It'd be a bother", I wouldn't care. It just seems like he has decided this may be a way to get something from his employer for nothing- without bothering to pass it by them.

• @raindog308 He was asking if power plant workers got free power here. They don’t and probably never will.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2017

noaman said: And we need to adjust accordingly to the fluctuations of the machines and have to keep coal/steam of 1mw standby in case of fluctuations

If load increases the xtra steam is consumed and

If it decreases the turbine refuses/rejects extra steam into the air

So thats raw material we have to waste i am actually looking to use that

You consume exactly the same as you have to keep the same backup load as without your load, thus your load adds to the base and is NOT using "unused" energy.

Thus either you do that or you violate how you should operate by not having the required backup left.

noaman said: Why is it hard for you people to digest the fact that electricity is available to me at zero cost as an incentive by my employer

Because this is the achilles heel of humanity as everyone knows - energy is not free, none. Including solar and geothermal until ROI point.

In your case, funny enough, likely even the fuel is paid by foreign aid, like most of this things in Asia. If Russia, your fuel is possibly government property.

stefeman said: I worked at a supermarket years ago, and even though we had to put the food into trash every night, we werent allowed to eat it ourselves.. why?

Did you actually ask corporate (so not your store, above) or just assume the cost thing?

In Germany/Austria this is the case to not have liability of food poisoning (and, as your own worker, they also loose work time in case of no liability obviously, and pay the insurance day rate for sick, in Austria ~20EUR), not really due to any cost reasons of purchases.

This is also why old food is mostly not given away. In DE on top taking from trash containers is stealing (it is not in many other countries, also in the EU) and illegal entering/trespassing (both minor offences but they are actively prosecuted).

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Anybody want some buttered popcorn? I think I made too much for just me....

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • WSSWSS Member

@oneilonline said:
    Anybody want some buttered popcorn? I think I made too much for just me....

Nah, it's OK, Lonley Lionline. I think r308 decided to duck out.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2017

Right. So if you 'take' some of this spare electricity, your company needs to produce more spare electricity, to have the same amount of spare electricity. This means that what you do actually costs the business. Your logic is seriously flawed.

Edit: ugh, @William was quicker.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed

@WSS said:
    Lonley Lionline

Ok, I think that was the worst butcher of the name.

• WSSWSS Member

@oneilonline said:

@WSS said:
    Lonley Lionline

Ok, I think that was the worst butcher of the name.

Pfft, I haven't even started yet, Onceler Lionel.

• If power is free I would look into other things that have high power requirements, greenhouses, mushroom farming, shrimp farming, food drying, cool storage...... how about running a hosting business?

Thanked by 1WSS
  • dergelbe said: If power is free I would look into other things that have high power requirements, greenhouses, mushroom farming, shrimp farming, food drying, cool storage...... how about running a hosting business?

Weed is popular in Russia as well, and with very low power usage you can connect a lot of very good LEDs :)

Anyway - While free is not realistic, some areas can get extremely cheap (or 'free' but with asterisk) due to various reasons, among them:

• base load on a nuclear plant or another plant that is 24/7 output fixed
    • load more near to generation point/transit point to easy congestion or force a specific grid path long term (eg. to predict and avoid congestion)
    • allowing to shut you down (partly) remotely automated to stabilise the grid
    • purely political, so gov subsidised for whatever reason (not necessarily 'for-profit', so operating at loss, eg. to establish a city or form a SEZ)
    • purely economical, so subsidised by company to attract specific business users (to eg. sell L2 transport/IP transit, so truly 'cross-financing' and 'for-profit' but not financed by gov/sovereign)

China has spots in sichuan and tibet, some extent i heard also inner mongolia, Iceland, Serbia, Russia partly etc.

• @raindog308 said:

doghouch said: Employees in power plants in western countries

Which is irrelevant in this case.

WSS said: What part of "This has been given to you" and "I'm just going to take this because it isn't being used anyhow" seem to be synonyms?

You've never been outside the US? I think you're totally ignoring the cultural context. It's a different world. This could be part of his pay for all you know. It may be figured into the pay indirectly - e.g., "we don't pay as well as some other companies but we don't charge you for your electricity while you work here". It could just be a way of life or a different cultural norm. In the US, if you work in a retail shop, it's very common to get an employee discount. Maybe where he lives it's common to get free power if you work for the power company. You just don't know.

Just seems a bit presumptuous to condemn the guy as a baby-killing thief based on very little information.

Thanx man for understanding that us and Pakistan are different countries with different work ethics

BTW i just woke up :-)

I didn't know that this thread would create so much drama

@Clouvider said:
    Right. So if you 'take' some of this spare electricity, your company needs to produce more spare electricity, to have the same amount of spare electricity. This means that what you do actually costs the business. Your logic is seriously flawed.

Edit: ugh, @William was quicker.

No thats not correct i will explain it later

I have to go to office bye

• Also interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-chinas-tibetan-highlands-the-bizarre-world-of-bitcoin-mining-finds-a-new-home/2016/09/12/7729cbea-657e-11e6-b4d8-33e931b5a26d_story.html

So yea, as noted (aside that the WaPo guy seems to imply Tibet is somehow inside Sichuan lol) China seems to be to be one of the cheapest options in the last years and was on top at least at some point.

Independent numbers (for CN) will be practically impossible to get, obviously, as a lot is surely dealt out with kickbacks and so on so the 'price' is not 'cost' or 'spending.

Iceland is cheap and probably the most reliable, easiest to access/import, democratic and largely politically neutral (but too small/unimportant to be not influenced if desired by a foreign power, sadly) location available.

@WSS said:
    Pfft, I haven't even started yet, Onceler Lionel.

Great...I've a groupie. LOL

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2017

@noaman said:

@Clouvider said:

noaman said: opinion

Don't steal electricity from your employer.

I am not stealing i am using it an effective manner

Atoms... Electrons... six of them!

But really, don't steal from your boss.

If you want something and have something to offer - make a deal, if not - just pass.

Ontopic, calculate the long term gain vs hardware and amortization costs.

I think it's still useless, unpractical at least.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2017

Even if the electricity was free, it's still too expensive and not worth my time.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

If your job entities you specially to 5kw of free power, fine, go ahead. No problem. But if your job just says it's free, and without any limit, then it is NOT OK.

Think of it like this. If you go to a restaurant and order dish by dish, you can take that home with you if you don't eat it all. But if you're at a buffet, then you can't.

So you can't just take more than you need for your own personal use. You want to use your employer's resources to generate income. This is not right (unless you're explicitly given a use limit). If it's such a good idea, you should suggest that this be done in the company to generate extra cash. It would be a win win.

Power companies generally prefer to have stable output. Seems you have a very wasteful system where you release power (steam) when power demand drops. Running miners to pick up the slack may be a way to help balance the load, and may actually have positive environmental benefits to a a result of waste reduction.

Though I imagine batteries would be more effective than a small mining farm in order to help balance load.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited October 2017

I have a friend who worked in a thermic power plant: they had to put it on and shut it down regularly even if there was no need for that electricity on the network, to ensure that everything would run smoothly if and when needed: what op states isn't impossible.

Workers for some power companies pay only a little part of their bill. Here, the fact that to boss gives him a few Kw - why not? Might not be 100% legal (declared and so on) but it's not necessarily really illegal: don't assume that OP is a thief.

If you want to mine, general advice seems to be to invest in GPUs rather than dedicated ASIC to mine BTC as GPU are more versatile you'll be able to mine different algos on it (but no BTC, but if you want BTC you could sell your hashrate for BTC on nicehash). Given the price of hardware (that I invite you to buy second hand for environmental reasons and for better resale value) it's still a huge investment and it will take some time before your "benefit" pay it back, and if you don't sell once produced, a crash may arise anytime (or it can do *50 you never know). Check for how long (hours/month or year) you can run your miner to see if it's worth it or not, given the price of the hardware.

(If your boss doesn't really agree and it's indeed stealing, I'd advice to forget the idea as it might cost your job, which job doesn't sound too shitty)

William said: Iceland is cheap and probably the most reliable, easiest to access/import, democratic and largely politically neutral (but too small/unimportant to be not influenced if desired by a foreign power, sadly) location available.

If you don't live there is still quite costly (as everything can't be handled remotely).

randvegeta said: Though I imagine batteries would be more effective than a small mining farm in order to help balance load.

Not sure about that, it depends how long that extra load lasts...

Why doesn't your company sell the extra power on the grid? Does Pakistan have too much power at times or isn't the network strong enough to handle the load?

• datanoise said: If you don't live there is still quite costly (as everything can't be handled remotely).

Not really, most miners will never need any local interaction. But yes, obviously you are right, by labour costs Iceland is extremely expensive if you need remotehands.

No import tax on most things do partly weight this up however.

If you live there it is in fact WAY more expensive, as your profit would be taxed in Iceland, which charges you even more than fucking Austria or Germany.

randvegeta said: Though I imagine batteries would be more effective than a small mining farm in order to help balance load.

No, they are not, what is popular in AT/DE/CH (partly also CN, AU and JP) is to simply pump up water and later let it flow down again, this costs energy but less than batteries would cost to produce. Requires specific geography.

Tesla recently got a contract for a huge setup like you describe in Australia, if we look at the power and the price... not cost effective compared to just burn some more coal:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-power-tesla-idUSKBN19S0EV

datanoise said: Why doesn't your company sell the extra power on the grid? Does Pakistan have too much power at times or isn't the network strong enough to handle the load?

Like in India, the latter, and unlike in EU no export partners nearby likely that could take it with their own distribution point/lines.

Not much into Pakistan but geographically and politically building a single power grid with reliable means to re-route all power (like the Austrian ring and most of the EU have) is wishful dreaming.

• WSSWSS Member

The fact that this has turned into a myriad of ideologies rather than a "Ask your provider, you fuck" response kind of makes me feel sad. The minelennials are taking over.

• Not really, because this is limited by power prices, and power prices are inherently bound to ideology and politics.

• WSSWSS Member

@William said:
    Not really, because this is limited by power prices, and power prices are inherently bound to ideology and politics.

Theft is still theft. Unless it's political unrest or {$RANDOM_EXCUSE}.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2017

Guys, electricity in a power plant cannot be deposited. So, the power plant is always working to produce what the market need at the particular time (calculating with period of year, time, temperatures, population, tourism etc.).
    There is a safety margin of ~3-5% over the expected demanding and the calculations are being done in a daily basis on how much power should the power plant produces each day.
    This ~3-5% is being used to cover any hiccups of the system. In most of the time, this will be lost, because it is far more costly to have an extremely large set of batteries to deposit the energy than to waste it. They use an average and it is unlikely that some more Kw from a couple of dozens of their employees is really affecting the system. It is like accusing someone that "steals" a grain of sand from a 10Km sandy beach...
    OP is probably be using this extra energy the plant is producing. This is the reason that a lot of energy producing companies are giving free electricity to their employees, because the companies will actually won't pay for it either, it is on that margin mosso grotto!

Not to mention that I suppose neither of you calling him a thief (!!!), have ever downloaded a movie torrent or a mp3 from the net... Or called from a public or company's landline a long-distance phone call, to avoid do the call (and pay it) from your house...

• WSSWSS Member

@jvnadr said:
    Not to mention that I suppose neither of you calling him a thief (!!!), have ever downloaded a movie torrent or a mp3 from the net... Or called from a public or company's landline a long-distance phone call, to avoid do the call (and pay it) from your house...

Give me the keys to your car.

I downloaded one MP3 before it was monetized. No Doubt - Don't speak. It took 2 hours, and it wasn't worth it.

I also don't call 800 numbers if there's a local, because it both usually kicks you up the local queue, but shows that you aren't just a time-wasting asshole as we haven't had to pay long distance fees in about 20 years.

I'm afraid I probably wouldn't hire you, either. Not because you took a commodity that was being wasted- but because you didn't ask.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited October 2017

WSS said: Not because you took a commodity that was being wasted- but because you didn't ask.

If his company is giving him power for free, without any conditions (fair usage, limits etc.), then, he can use as much as he wants without asking.
    There is always a limit. It depends on the fuse his main home infrastructure uses. If his home is working with a central fuse in the meter box of 35A, then there is a calculation on what is the maximum energy he can consume. And if a power plant company is giving free power to, lets say, 100 of their employees, even if they max up the capacity of their house's infrastructure, it is still peanuts for them and they have already calculate the expected cost to the company. Peanuts.

If they wanted to limit the free power, then, they could simply give them some free Kw to their monthly bill. Anyway, the amount of energy he will consume every month, even if it is free, it will be calculated to the meter of his central fuse. So, if he really breaks any rule, this will be shown in the first month.

And, you know what? Big companies will give things for free to their employees, especially when it will not cost them anything, because this way the employee is feeling obligated and grateful for the gift, and will be more committed to his job.

Thanked by 2noaman Chronic
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited October 2017

@jvnadr said:

WSS said: Not because you took a commodity that was being wasted- but because you didn't ask.

If his company is giving him power for free, without any conditions (fair usage, limits etc.), then, he can use as much as he wants without asking.

I don't recall anywhere this being the stated ability- anywhere in these two pages. Feel free to reread and clarify this, because that is not at all what I've seen.

He was asked if he asked if he was given the ok to use it, and he went into a mini-diatribe about how explaining it to them would be a waste of time. That doesn't matter. You're using THEIR product for your own personal gain.

@jvnadr said:
    And, you know what? Big companies will give things for free to their employees, especially when it will not cost them anything, because this way the employee is feeling obligated and grateful for the gift, and will be more committed to his job.

Sure they do. It helps to ask them first.

• @jvnadr said:
    Guys, electricity in a power plant cannot be deposited. So, the power plant is always working to produce what the market need at the particular time (calculating with period of year, time, temperatures, population, tourism etc.).
    There is a safety margin of ~3-5% over the expected demanding and the calculations are being done in a daily basis on how much power should the power plant produces each day.
    This ~3-5% is being used to cover any hiccups of the system. In most of the time, this will be lost, because it is far more costly to have an extremely large set of batteries to deposit the energy than to waste it. They use an average and it is unlikely that some more Kw from a couple of dozens of their employees is really affecting the system. It is like accusing someone that "steals" a grain of sand from a 10Km sandy beach...
    OP is probably be using this extra energy the plant is producing. This is the reason that a lot of energy producing companies are giving free electricity to their employees, because the companies will actually won't pay for it either, it is on that margin mosso grotto!

Finally ....

I was away from LET for somewhile

The energy i am using is peanuts

I will check the breakers and will tell you about it later

@jvnadr said:

There is always a limit. It depends on the fuse his main home infrastructure uses. If his home is working with a central fuse in the meter box of 35A, then there is a calculation on what is the maximum energy he can consume. And if a power plant company is giving free power to, lets say, 100 of their employees, even if they max up the capacity of their house's infrastructure, it is still peanuts for them and they have already calculate the expected cost to the company. Peanuts.

If they wanted to limit the free power, then, they could simply give them some free Kw to their monthly bill. Anyway, the amount of energy he will consume every month, even if it is free, it will be calculated to the meter of his central fuse. So, if he really breaks any rule, this will be shown in the first month.

+1

• I don't think using the free energy for mining is stealing as long as the company agreed to give you free power. What you do with it is up to you as long as you don't redistribute I guess.

One of my former employees payed for my gas. Both for work and what I used for private traveling. No limit, no questions asked. Filling up the tank whenever I went abroad for a holiday was fine as well. Sure, it's used for personal gain but agreed upon by my employer.

If your employer pays for your phone, wouldn't you use it to make private calls to some extend as well? If they pay for your internet connection, wouldn't you use it for private use as well? Who doesn't use the office copier from time to time to get a quick 100 copies of something? Who doesn't barrow the company van when they need to move that enourmous couch?

There's a big fat gray area when it comes to things like this. On top of that, take into account cultural differences as we're not all in the first world and don't judge too soon.

Thanked by 1Chronic

@Saragoldfarb did you pay income tax on this free petrol? You are aware this is a benefit in kind, right ?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    @Saragoldfarb did you pay income tax on this free petrol? You are aware this is a benefit in kind, right ?

That's a very UK way of looking at things. In some countries, the benefits provided by the employer is not always taxable. I enjoy many benefits from my HK company that is not taxable. It's not a crime, or even unethical. Just different rules. The UK is much stricter on these things than many other places.

@randvegeta said:

@Clouvider said:

That's a very UK way of looking at things. In some countries, the benefits provided by the employer is not always taxable. I enjoy many benefits from my HK company that is not taxable. It's not a crime, or even unethical. Just different rules. The UK is much stricter on these things than many other places.

That’s not an Uk way. Many EU countries, every EU country I know the employment laws in actually, would classify it as a benefit in kind and it would be taxable. From Western to Eastern Europe.