Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you start bitcoin mining if power is free ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will you start bitcoin mining if power is free ?

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2017

@WSS said:
    You're kind of a thieving dick, FWIW.

I should go to McDonalds and plug in an Antminer. After all, the sign does say “free charging station.”

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:
    You're kind of a thieving dick, FWIW.

I should go to McDonalds and plug in an Antminer. After all, the sign says “free charging station.”

Replace it with the "changing station" notice in the bathroom and then you're legit.

• @raindog308 said:
    OP may be legit. For example, I know some folks who live in semi-rural Russia and run the power plant there. They don't pay for electricity at home. Everyone else does, but if you work there, free power is a "benefit". May not be written anywhere or officially acknowledged, but everyone in the company (including the directors) knows about it. This kind of arrangements in less developed nations are not uncommon.

However, we're talking about coal here. While I realize the world still runs on coal, burning more of it to make an extra $5 a month from mining seems pretty ethically dubious in light of global warming.

Wait...actually, global warming will destroy both San Francisco and New York. How can we help?

Finally some one understands my situation

I am not stealing any electricity

If i dont use it ...its going to waste any way

@WSS said:

@pike said:
    I don't think OP is a thief. This obviously is how stuff works in his place. No one would notice what he is doing and no one would care because they deliver electricity to the industry (I guess at a fixed rate and at a big scale).

The power is being offered to do his job. This is not his job. He's looking at ways to misuse what is being given him. This isn't any different than stealing food at a restaurant you happen to work for.

If you find it okay to harass someone just because he openly told you what he plans to do you should overthink your attitude.

If I can't trust you, I can't employ you. Period.

You quoted a good example of restaurant

If you cook 100 meals a day and you have to cook 100 meals a day no less

Since the number of customers may vary..

You have to cook the meals in advance so you have to cook extra meals to satisfy customers

Now at the end of the day 10meals are left either you could throw them in the dustbin or give it to the hotel management

My example may be a little vague

We are producing around 35-40 mega watt per hour

And we need to adjust accordingly to the fluctuations of the machines and have to keep coal/steam of 1mw standby in case of fluctuations

If load increases the xtra steam is consumed and

If it decreases the turbine refuses/rejects extra steam into the air

So thats raw material we have to waste i am actually looking to use that

If anyone thinks i am stealing no iam not

I am just consuming something which is going to go to waste any ways

Thanked by 3Plioser Chronic Luke007
  • WSSWSS Member

@noaman said:
    I am just consuming something which is going to go to waste any ways

Until you are told that you are allowed to use it, it still isn't yours. Theft is theft.

• noamannoaman Member
    edited October 2017

I guess that point may be legitimate but it varies country to country as over here

They simply don't give a damn

Edit:

Asking my boss permission

No thanx i dont want to look like a foooool

• @noaman Just because there’s a surplus, doesn’t automatically mean that you can have it. Say I have a few extra doughnuts and you take one because there’s extra. I certainly wouldn’t be happy.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

would you?

noaman said: The electricity i would consume is peanuts to them

In most Western countries this isn't really an argument; if you're using an asset given to you in order to assist you in your job and you divert its usage to something entirely different and/or personal, it's embezzlement. Then again, some workers can enjoy some "benefits": a worker in a candy factory may get some free candies but probably won't be allowed to download the whole candy production in their wallet.

You may suggest this to your boss as a business idea; since you're an energy producer you probably can rely on really low (yet not totally negligible if you're doing it seriously) power costs

Thanked by 2WSS ElliotJ
  • @mfs said:
    would you?

noaman said: The electricity i would consume is peanuts to them

In most Western countries this isn't really an argument; if you're using an asset given to you in order to assist you in your job and you divert its usage to something entirely different and/or personal, it's embezzlement. Then again, some workers can enjoy some "benefits": a worker in a candy factory may get some free candies but probably won't be allowed to download the whole candy production in their wallet.

You may suggest this to your boss as a business idea; since you're an energy producer you probably can rely on really low (yet not totally negligible if you're doing it seriously) power costs

Okay let me put it this way

There is no legal matter involved here

Lets assume from now on

He has given permission of lets say 2-5kw

No more than that

Thats abuse of service

Just assuming :-)

• WSSWSS Member

@noaman said:
    There is no legal matter involved here
    Lets assume from now on
    He has given permission of lets say 2-5kw

But has he? If not, it's still theft.

• @doghouch said:
    @noaman Just because there’s a surplus, doesn’t automatically mean that you can have it. Say I have a few extra doughnuts and you take one because there’s extra. I certainly wouldn’t be happy.

Say you have few extra donuts they are going to rot

So you will let them rot instead of giving it to a person in need ?

• @AnthonySmith said:

raindog308 said: OP may be legit.

Maybe, however, he has not stated what he is going to mine, what he paid for the mining rig, if he plans to mine with a potato etc, so the only real answer I guess is: It could be, certainly more likely than if your having to pay for the power but I guess (I hope) he already cold work that much out for himself, if he could not, then the answer has to be no, unless you find someone to hold your hand from start to finish.

I was looking into etherum

• edited October 2017

@noaman said:

@doghouch said:
    @noaman Just because there’s a surplus, doesn’t automatically mean that you can have it. Say I have a few extra doughnuts and you take one because there’s extra. I certainly wouldn’t be happy.

That's the big difference here: @doghouch giving someone else left over food for free is different from someone coming & taking it without asking (which, by the looks of it, is the situation you are in).

And if you are saying you are in need of the electricity to mine a cryptocurrency for some extra income, maybe you should consider looking for another job with a higher salary?

• WSSWSS Member

@noaman said:

Possibly. Did they ask for one, did I take pity and offer one, or did they swipe it?

• One general question

Why is it hard for you people to digest the fact that electricity is available to me at zero cost as an incentive by my employer

Thanked by 2Plioser Chronic
  • WSSWSS Member

You are abusing a service.

• @WSS said:
    You are abusing a service.

No i am not

Abusing would be to open a data center :-p

I guess we should close this thread as i dont see this turning into productive

@wss

• Common sense.

• WSSWSS Member

So, only stealing a little is OK. Gotcha.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2017

I worked at a supermarket years ago, and even though we had to put the food into trash every night, we werent allowed to eat it ourselves.. why? cause then we wouldnt need to buy food at all and the store would lose money. In ur situation, not only you would eat this throwaway food without permission but also looking to monentize what your company throws away without ur boss's permission.

Thats the issue here.

• No offense, but people like you are the reason why here asian countries can't develop. here in sri lanka it's no better than in pakistan. corruption is top to bottom. I am sure your boss may do something behind the scene too.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WSS said: You are abusing a service.

It really doesn't surprise me that someone in a less developed nation can get electricity for free because he works for the power company.

• @CUTA said:
    No offense, but people like you are the reason why here asian countries can't develop. here in sri lanka it's no better than in pakistan. corruption is top to bottom. I am sure your boss may do something behind the scene too.

Corruption is nothing to do with this bro

There is corruption in my country but you are taking this to a whole new.level

• @raindog308 said:

It really doesn't surprise me that someone in a less developed nation can get electricity for free because he works for the power company.

Do you have any friends that work in power plants..,...

Ask them if they pay for electricity or not

• hzrhzr Member

there's a bit of a difference between standard household free power as a benefit and a mining farm

• @noaman said:

@raindog308 said:

Do you have any friends that work in power plants..,...

Ask them if they pay for electricity or not

Employees in power plants in western countries most certainly do not get free power.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Imagine if everyone starts doing something like what you plan to do? then how government provides enough electricity to the country? Nothing is for free, the coals are bought by the government with the tax money of general public, so misusing that resources for your personal gain is not right. If you use power to charge your phone or something like that then it's something, but mining costs a lot of power. I know you can't stop the corruption, but someone has to start from somewhere, and if everyone does their job well, then corruption will automatically go down. I know you may have financial difficulties, I understand it but this is not the way to address it.

@noaman said:

@CUTA said:
    No offense, but people like you are the reason why here asian countries can't develop. here in sri lanka it's no better than in pakistan. corruption is top to bottom. I am sure your boss may do something behind the scene too.

Corruption is nothing to do with this bro

There is corruption in my country but you are taking this to a whole new.level

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

What part of "This has been given to you" and "I'm just going to take this because it isn't being used anyhow" seem to be synonyms?

Thanked by 2Clouvider Pwner
  • RizRiz Member

With how coal produces power, it's possible for a circuit to be overloaded if batteries aren't being used and/or it's not being distributed properly. At times this can lead to power being sold for next to nothing..

As for the mining part, to make $200/mo you could do so for right around ~1200 kW/h. Initial cost will depend on GPU's, and you'd be at a price point around $2000-$3000. Pending what you get into specifically, the investment ROI could be ~6-10 months.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

doghouch said: Employees in power plants in western countries

Which is irrelevant in this case.

WSS said: What part of "This has been given to you" and "I'm just going to take this because it isn't being used anyhow" seem to be synonyms?

You've never been outside the US? I think you're totally ignoring the cultural context. It's a different world. This could be part of his pay for all you know. It may be figured into the pay indirectly - e.g., "we don't pay as well as some other companies but we don't charge you for your electricity while you work here". It could just be a way of life or a different cultural norm. In the US, if you work in a retail shop, it's very common to get an employee discount. Maybe where he lives it's common to get free power if you work for the power company. You just don't know.

Just seems a bit presumptuous to condemn the guy as a baby-killing thief based on very little information.

Thanked by 3Frecyboy aeba Chronic
  • WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: What part of "This has been given to you" and "I'm just going to take this because it isn't being used anyhow" seem to be synonyms?

You've never been outside the US? I think you're totally ignoring the cultural context.

I've lived outside of the US for several years. Theft is still theft.

It's a different world. This could be part of his pay for all you know. It may be figured into the pay indirectly - e.g., "we don't pay as well as some other companies but we don't charge you for your electricity while you work here". It could just be a way of life or a different cultural norm. In the US, if you work in a retail shop, it's very common to get an employee discount. Maybe where he lives it's common to get free power if you work for the power company. You just don't know.

None of this was stated, nor implied.

Just seems a bit presumptuous to condemn the guy as a baby-killing thief based on very little information.

No. He's just a thief.