Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nobody can sustain a free DDoS Mitigation Service - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nobody can sustain a free DDoS Mitigation Service

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

So how's everybody's day going?

Thanked by 1Zerpy
  • rip Treudler profit margins.. their 10Gbps dedi will cost 10€ more now

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MikeA said:

Busy. And yours?

Francisco

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

I have a cold :(.

Besides that - great!

Yours Mike?

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • WSSWSS Member

Just trying to sustain a DDoS free service.. Another day full of SYNs..

• Waldo19Waldo19 Member
    edited October 2017

@Francisco said:
    Busy. And yours?

Francisco

Less posting and more progress on our block storage. :P

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 2Waldo19 Aidan
  • @matteob said:

@CConner said:
    If you seriously hadn't thought of it, it comes accross like "Didn't I tell you that you can't offer DDoS protection for free. See why I charge for DDoS protection?"

Man everybody in the industry said this.... but my scope was to start a discussion and open eyes on people that search cheap/free and powerfull mitigation.

Have you heard DDoS-Guard.net? When in 2014 I received really too many DDoS attacks, I decided to invest some money to save my hobby against haters and bad people. I spent very big money for different solutions against DDoS attack, just for surviving my hobby. I thought "if it has the high price, then it will be great". What have I got in the result? I paid 200$ for VPS to host my hobby project, I expect nice DDoS protection. And I started to receive tons of issues like:

• constant lags
    • constant downtimes
    • when tried contact to the support they did not confirm that the server is down (but it was!)
    • And finally they blackhole my IP and asked me to pay more for protection WHAT IS ALREADY included.

After using this piece of shit which is highly overpriced, I moved back to OVH, I turned off all other protos except TCP/IP and did some tricks with their firewall to close most everything except my app required. And what I got? My shitty server 10$ / mo was tank and survive under mega big DDoS attack. Yes, there were some lags, some packets can bypass a filter, and so on, but my hobby project survived under heavy DDoS on a shitty server with around 10$ / mo price.

This is what i wish to say about "higher - is better". It's not true at all. And i understand your point about "pay more, receive more", and "its highly overpriced things".

• @desperand said:

@matteob said:

@CConner said:
    If you seriously hadn't thought of it, it comes accross like "Didn't I tell you that you can't offer DDoS protection for free. See why I charge for DDoS protection?"

Man everybody in the industry said this.... but my scope was to start a discussion and open eyes on people that search cheap/free and powerfull mitigation.

Have you heard DDoS-Guard.net? When in 2014 I received really too many DDoS attacks, I decided to invest some money to save my hobby against haters and bad people. I spent very big money for different solutions against DDoS attack, just for surviving my hobby. I thought "if it has the high price, then it will be great". What have I got in the result? I paid 200$ for VPS to host my hobby project, I expect nice DDoS protection. And I started to receive tons of issues like:

• constant lags
    • constant downtimes
    • when tried contact to the support they did not confirm that the server is down (but it was!)
    • And finally they blackhole my IP and asked me to pay more for protection WHAT IS ALREADY included.

After using this piece of shit which is highly overpriced, I moved back to OVH, I turned off all other protos except TCP/IP and did some tricks with their firewall to close most everything except my app required. And what I got? My shitty server 10$ / mo was tank and survive under mega big DDoS attack. Yes, there were some lags, some packets can bypass a filter, and so on, but my hobby project survived under heavy DDoS on a shitty server with around 10$ / mo price.

This is what i wish to say about "higher - is better". It's not true at all. And i understand your point about "pay more, receive more", and "its highly overpriced things".

This can be very true at some times. Cloudflare whilst free, can work miracles if you set it up correctly to edge cache large pdfs etc and block the right countries...

• @lion said:

@Edmond said:
    I guess their DDoS hardware was choking unlike Cloudflare's...

Cloudflare doesn't even have a proper anti-ddos, their network capacity just allows attacks to happen without too much trouble.

@Zerpy said:

@Edmond said:
    I guess their DDoS hardware was choking unlike Cloudflare's...

At least your guess is wrong :-)

What I meant was that they couldn't handle the bandwidth load like Cloudflare. Now I know Cloudflare's anti DDoS protection is bad, OVH's good, but it's all about the free right? No one really wants to give another buck if they don't have to.

OVH's DDoS protection is quite good, but people have been referring to them a lot for hosting game servers because they offer good protection without a cost. Now that's gone, they'll lose a lot of business, because people are too cheap.

• @Lee said:

Saragoldfarb said: Next price change: additional IPs will be charged monthly. Gonna be fun to watch that drama :)

What, you mean like they did a few years back? Yeah that will come.

Yeah, something like that. I suppose charging €1/month/IP. Would bring in a nice load of cash and not be unreasonable at the same time.

Resellers would probably hate them for it but if they're a sustainable company they'll survive and just pass on the extra charge to their customers. It's gonna happen at a certain point and since they also decided to charge for DDOS protection my gut feeling says that winter is coming :)

• @Edmond said:
    OVH's DDoS protection is quite good, but people have been referring to them a lot for hosting game servers because they offer good protection without a cost. Now that's gone, they'll lose a lot of business, because people are too cheap.

Maybe but even with the additional charge there's no alternative within the same budget as far as I'm aware.

• @Edmond said:
    What I meant was that they couldn't handle the bandwidth load like Cloudflare. Now I know Cloudflare's anti DDoS protection is bad, OVH's good, but it's all about the free right? No one really wants to give another buck if they don't have to.

20th of september 2016 at 1.40 am OVH received a two attacks at same time being 990 gigabit combined, where the single biggest attack was 799 gigabit - this exceeds the 600 gigabit attack that CloudFlare recorded.

What do you mean that they can't handle the bandwidth load? :-)

• Since we're discussing the sustainability of free DDOS protection. Anyone thinks Cloudflare will drop the free DDOS protection at some point?

They had this interesting blog post explaining how they can provide it for free (don't have it at hand) which was an interesting read.

• @Zerpy said:

@Edmond said:

20th of september 2016 at 1.40 am OVH received a two attacks at same time being 990 gigabit combined, where the single biggest attack was 799 gigabit - this exceeds the 600 gigabit attack that CloudFlare recorded.

What do you mean that they can't handle the bandwidth load? :-)

Hmm... OVH is quite a nice option for DDoS attacks, but when the attack is that big, cost of it is very expensive to keep services online... But than almost every provider will either bill you or null route you.

@Saragoldfarb said:

@Edmond said:

Maybe but even with the additional charge there's no alternative within the same budget as far as I'm aware.

Yes there is, when Virmach offers those insanely cheap services, their Voxility gets discounted to usually $10/yaer, but the last one was at $5/year. They say it's 500gbps protection, but not sure if they null route people...

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

I'm not sure I get the whole "welp, I guess they can't provide ddos protection for free" argument. Just because ddos protection isn't a specific line item on your bill every month doesn't mean it's not calculated in their overall server costs.

While I won't be affected since I'm on the SYS game range, I wouldn't mind the slight price bump to ensure a product that has proven its worth is sustainable.

Thanked by 2Rhys Zerpy
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited October 2017

So it isn't optional if I don't need DDoS protection? Kinda lame.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited October 2017

@matteob

I think we have multiple understandings here. For a start, I'm not in any way against you or against seflow.

Moreover, and I hinted at that, I'm not a fan of OVH and I would not like what they do now, if I were a customer. From how I see things I never was (D)DOSed so I don't have an urge for that kind of protection - plus - I don't like that OVH limits my choices and at my cost at that.
    And btw, my impression of that text was a rather negative one; I was under the impression that OVH is trying to paint some strategic decisions as "technical" and "good for the customers" while, in fact, they seem to be in OVHs interest and for their own best.

So, all in all, my impression is a rather negative one. I don't like it when companies lie to their customers and brainwash them. And why should they? Bloody everybody understands that companies aren't social or charitable organizations. But alas they are how they are.

However: fairness is important and hence I wanted to correct the somewhat one-sided image you provided (so I felt, sorry) by clearly mentioning that OVH a) acts perfectly legal and b) existing customers have plenty of time to adapt or switch or whatever at their current price rate.

Finally, I know that my perception and judgement of OVH is mine; it's to do with my needs, preferences, knowledge level, situation, etc. Someone else might come to different conclusions and be perfectly right and justified wrt his profile of needs, etc. Many small companies, for instance, probably have good reasons to like OVH.

• @Clouvider said:
    No one seems to be bothered by that, but... How professional of OVH to allow their Customers to learn about a price rise from the community first rather than form the company itself... First email, then blabing on social media...

I hate some provider for that :).

Some provider faster replying on LEB/WHT/Twitter than their support ticket.

• matteob said: Please @Amitz @AlexJones keep my company out of that discussion, we have different services and is off topic.

You posted this thread to whack your dick on the table about DDoS service pricing, and you operate such a service. How would it be off topic?

• @lbft said:

matteob said: Please @Amitz @AlexJones keep my company out of that discussion, we have different services and is off topic.

You posted this thread to whack your dick on the table about DDoS service pricing, and you operate such a service. How would it be off topic?

Exactly my point. He's just trying to give out some bs reason why his protection costs like 3 euro an ip ontop of a 13 euro vps that is 1/4 a core

Thanked by 2maverickp Amitz
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Having tried the "charge extra for DDoS protection" model, I wasn't a fan of it. I can definitely see why companies charge extra for it, I just personally didn't like it.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Ahhhh cunt buckets, there goes my profit margin...

XD

Thanked by 2Francisco netomx
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Also, as the website (Likely outdated) says they have 260,000 servers available then this is an easy 260-520K a month for Oles to spend on guitars.

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • @pbgben said:
    Also, as the website (Likely outdated) says they have 260,000 servers available then this is an easy 260-520K a month for Oles to spend on guitars.

Funny because its true. They need to upgrade their damn network. They say each vac does 600gbps but the ovh map says the 2 links to BHS are like 120gbps and 130gbps

• pbgben said: an easy 260-520K a month for Oles to spend on guitars.

Damn, didn't even know this guy was a fine guitar player.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited October 2017

@AlexJones said:

@pbgben said:

Funny because its true. They need to upgrade their damn network. They say each vac does 600gbps but the ovh map says the 2 links to BHS are like 120gbps and 130gbps

What you been smoking?

The links alone from nwk is 1 terabit/s, 600 gigabit/s to chi, 100 to tor - that's well above 120 and 130gbps :-)

Also @pbgben - remember that despite 260-520k sounds like a lot, bandwidth, routers and employees to develop ddos stuff isn't exactly cheap - I don't know if you've seen the prices for 40g/100g equipment lately, but it isn't walmart ready yet

• @Edmond said:

Yes there is, when Virmach offers those insanely cheap services, their Voxility gets discounted to usually $10/yaer, but the last one was at $5/year. They say it's 500gbps protection, but not sure if they null route people...

In theory yes. I find it hard to believe they won't nullroute when I get hit hard for my $5/year. Also, somehow I don't feel comfortable with hosting anything of importance with them.

They've proven to be surprisingly stable so far but something doesn't add up. Besides, they lack EU locations.

• @Saragoldfarb said:

@Edmond said:

In theory yes. I find it hard to believe they won't nullroute when I get hit hard for my $5/year. Also, somehow I don't feel comfortable with hosting anything of importance with them.

They've proven to be surprisingly stable so far but something doesn't add up. Besides, they lack EU locations.

They do have one EU pop, but for some reason, they never restock, so there's never any to order over at Germany. DDoS protection is expensive and it's just something you need to pay for if you want it good.

• @Edmond said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

@Edmond said:

They do have one EU pop, but for some reason, they never restock, so there's never any to order over at Germany. DDoS protection is expensive and it's just something you need to pay for if you want it good.

True. A lot of hosts advertise DDOS protection and they're with voxility but I have doubts whether they can actually diliver what they advertise. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for protection as long as they deliver what they advertise and are willing to work with me when shit hits the fence.