Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus Cloud (iwStack) Pricing Announced

123457»

Comments

• Been looking and interested,but seems not able to get it at the moment...I'm looking if I can start with USD10....with EUR30 it's too much just to start...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For existing customers which are unlikely to start 50 VMs and spam away for 1 hour until we catch them for pennies, we have a lower treshold, however, 30 Euros for 1 hour of spam/phishing/scanning/etc is a problem as long as they can find cheaper services elsewhere. The cloud is intended for customers which need the features, not to be a VPS replacement.
    We do have stock on LEBs now, mostly in US, but I can find one or two in Italy for LET people :)

edited October 2013

Only first time sign-up to lower a bit the initial deposit since people think that 30 Eur is too much for a year of flexible service LEB, not to mention that if they kill it when no longer needed can last for years.

• Just ordered :) I hope it lives up to expectations

• I signed up yesterday and missed out on the discount. I would normally be a bit disappointed (yes I know it's only a few $) but I'm not because the performance is just outstanding compared to other options I have tested recently.

Yes it's only 1 day but I believe this company has a long history and initially this seems like an excellent product. I actually quite like their unconventional attitude to marketing as well. I hope I will be saying the same thing in a few years time but even if not it is well worth the money.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • location? italy?

edited October 2013

@Makkesk8 said:
    location? italy?

We havent open our US location yet, in fact seems that India is making more progress atm :(

Incero promised IPv6 some 3 weeks ago, but now we dont even have an ETA, we may need to change DC and this will delay us a lot.

@grasslizard said:
    I signed up yesterday and missed out on the discount. I would normally be a bit disappointed

We still have the IWSTACK20 coupon for the new customers which wish to sign up.
    If it would be me, I would get the 20% off offer even as an existing customer because it is more credit per Euro and will only last till the end of the month but we do have the 15 Eur entry option for good customers in good standing which do not need big machines and it will last them some months.

• @Maounique you have plans to come to india?

edited October 2013

Yes, however the cloud will not be ready too soon we need to test the DC first and make sure IPv6 will work first with some regular Xen plans. That might be ready this week-end or next week.

• I would be interested the Indian Xen VPS. cloud or not does not matter. Would pick up one if pricing suits me.

• Words cannot describe how quality iwstack is and how pleased I am with it.

Thanked by 1Maounique

Last day for the IWSTACK20 coupon.

• Guys, are you planning same thing in USA?

• Yes they do.

Thanked by 1Maounique

Yeah, unfortunately, the location we are testing now does not seem to be ready and we will need more tests in other locations.
    It seems that, while india started later it may be ready faster (fingers crossed).

• Maybe COLO@ Clifton?

• AleksZAleksZ Member
    edited November 2013

Is it possible to spin up servers that are bigger than 8Gb ram and how much they will cost? Whats the limits for virtual machines that you infrastructure can provide. I am not talking about 1 hour run. For long-term projects.
    Why I can not create an account, login, contact support/sales from site? Before buying credits.

You can create an account without buying anything. If you cant find it you can still make an order and dont pay it :)

Over 8 GB we usually offer to our big customers, those are manual and benefit from extra consideration. We are thinking to offer a 16 GB instance to the general public too. It will cost twice as much as the one before it.
    We can provide 64 GB ram instances, even bigger but, as I said, those are not the usual run-of-the-mill instances, we have separate infrastructures too if needed, and we can also provide vmware and dedicated servers if the need arises, but, those are not cheap, as you can imagine.
    Please open a sales ticket, you do not need to login or have an account for that.

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited November 2013

Guys,

Can you please help me to calculate charges on iwstack. Client is on a strict budget of 5 $ per month and I was under the impression that it will come around 5. But looking at the credit balance on daily basis, I feel the charge is more.

I have the following configuration and cost should be as follows based on the pricing calculator and the tutorial on http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1362

1 x Basic 384M = 1.44

Storage primary SAN 10 GB = 1.08

Secondary NFS Storage 20 GB = 0.72

====================================

Euros      = 3.24

Converting to USD     ~ 4.88 $

But when I posted ticket, the support says, based on my current resources my pricing will go beyond 5 $ per month and posted below

Basic 384M, 384MB RAM, 1 vCPU - xxxxx - 24 hours @ 0.002000 = 0.048000

Volume usage, size: 20.00 GB - 24 hours @ 0.002400 = 0.057600

Volume usage, size: 10.00 GB - 24 hours @ 0.001200 = 0.028800

Snapshot usage, size: 10.00 GB - 22 hours @ 0.000500 = 0.011000

Snapshot usage, size: 10.00 GB - 24 hours @ 0.000500 = 0.012000

Snapshot usage, size: 10.00 GB - 3 hours @ 0.000500 = 0.001500

IPAddress: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - 24 hours @ 0.001400 = 0.033600

Discount for IP tied to running instances - 24 hours @ 0.001400 = -0.033600

With these resources you will consume more than 5 USD

So what is causing me the additional cost? can any one help?

• Dragoon0309Dragoon0309 Member
    edited November 2013

The snapshots.

• ok, now from support's reply

from the report I see you're an additional 20GB volume and several snapshot (I suppose is a scheduled one with a retention of 5 copies).

So you have in total 30GB of primary storage instead of 10GB and 50GB of secondary storage instead of 20, hence the difference.

so I need to check the configuration again.

What I am looking for is

10 GB primary (for OS, website, MYSQL i mean vps itself )
    20 GB secondary (for 1 daily , and 1 weekly snapshot of the above VPS for backup)

edited November 2013

Hello !

You do not need to buy any space, when you take the snapshots they go to the secondary storage and take space there automatically, this is the beauty of the cloud, you can use what you need when you need, dont have to reserve it beforehand, that is our job to take care of, so you have the resources you need when you need, but only pay when you use them effectively.
    So, if you do not need the second disk for the VM's data storage, you can delete it, keep only the main and take the snapshots for it.

edited November 2013

The ram/cpu (compute) can be changed at any time without any risk to data.
    The disk can be changed in a few ways:
    1. Simplest is to add/remove disks. You can create 1-200 GB disks that you can add/remove even when the VM is running provided they are not mounted.
    2. You can create an image using clonezilla and similar software and deploy on a larger empty VM you create. It involves a few steps (attach disk, format, create image, detach), then create new VM with the desired root disk, attach the disk with the image, deploy image while resizing it to fit the disk proportionally. You can, of course, use dd instead of clonezilla.
    There are other ways, but the basic ones are these. You may wish to take a snapshot before.

• Thanks Maounique for the explanation.

Only drawback I can find is with snapshot restore. There is no straight forward way for this. We need to either make template and create a new instance, in that case the IP will be different ( which does not serve our purpose). Other option is to attach as volume and use any tool to restore data which is not straight forward.

May be any other easy way exists?

edited November 2013

Yes, the easiest way is to add/remove virtual disks.
    Just keep a minimal one for the root (the 10 GB the original templates had) and add disks to mount where you need space.
    Just remember that KVM cannot snapshot multiple disks of the same VM at once, they need to go one by one. This is important to know for automated snapshots schedule them so one is finished before the next one starts.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

iwStack is an interesting pricing model, I have been specing up costs to build a redundant web serving cluster (redis + php + nginx + mysql cluster) and it certainly has a competitive price compared to DigitalOcean (about $10/m cheaper).

Definately something I will be considering when I am out of the design phase.

It would be really good if some documentation on the virtual router was available. e.g is it needed to activate private networking (I wouldn't think so but the calculator hints that it might be).

edited November 2013

Yes, for the isolated network you need virtual router. It does NAT like a normal router in front of a private LAN, IPSec VPN access, also load balancing firewall etc.
    Since IPv6 does not have NAT, it is not working with IPv6. There are ways to circumvent that we will be implementing them when IPv6 will be needed for the business sector (towards which iwstack is oriented mostly).
    Regular users can use it like regular VPSes (directly on the net).
    Professionals which need load balancing, 0 downtime in case of maintenance, central specialized db server, workstations in the same net, bridge their company LAN with the iwstack LAN, complex external firewall, etc, do not use IPv6 yet. At least not in Italy.

• @Maonique said: Professionals [...] do not use IPv6 yet. At least not in Italy.

The current IPv6 issue is total lack of marketing hype. Management will never allocate budget to a IPv6 project, because IPv6 is perceived as weird tech stuff without any business return, a kind of toy for techies.
    It will be implemented anyway with the mainstream maintenance/operation equipment refresh. This will easily translate to 10 more years (I phased out the last 10/100 hubs this year...).
    Should IPv6 become the new buzzword on the cover of "CEO" business magazines, everything will be IPv6 in 12 months.